Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Did you not get any upgrades or something

Even with all the upgrades the Ull fight is a bitch if you run out of stalactites. I definitely reached a point where he looked like he had no health and he just stood there eating arrow after arrow. The last boss soaks up or just outright deflects a ton of damage too, and I was pummeling her with fire arrows and bee bombs. I can't imagine doing that poo poo in perma death mode, I'd have to put one of those cages on my TV like they have in prisons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Yeah I don't mind the hacking in very limited amounts.

Snak posted:

Fortunately you can get through B in like, no time at all, because every fight now takes less than 8 seconds.

I've been playing it over such a long period I keep forgetting what the next step was, etc. I am skipping as much as possible though

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Does horizon not actually tell you that you don't do more damage for pulling back further? That seems really unintuitive.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Digirat posted:

Does horizon not actually tell you that you don't do more damage for pulling back further? That seems really unintuitive.
From the animation it doesn't look like she's actually pulling the string back further and further, just that she's looking for a more steady shot. But like I said, most previous games like this were set up that way so its easy to mistake it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Inspector Hound posted:

Even with all the upgrades the Ull fight is a bitch if you run out of stalactites. I definitely reached a point where he looked like he had no health and he just stood there eating arrow after arrow. The last boss soaks up or just outright deflects a ton of damage too, and I was pummeling her with fire arrows and bee bombs. I can't imagine doing that poo poo in perma death mode, I'd have to put one of those cages on my TV like they have in prisons

Yeah exactly. I hit him with 2 stalactites (which took probably 1/3 of his health) but it was kind of hard to judge them so I wasted the rest and they never respawn, so you are just left with your normal stuff. I don't know how many times I hit him but I'm sure it was well into the thousands. If I hadn't got him with the two that landed, I'm sure he would have taken another half hour.

Batari at least you can see the damage you are doing. But I never found a way to hit her without taking a hit myself, which did 75% damage to me so I had to heal in between every shot, not to mention the mooks that spawn every 2 minutes.

It's unreal how long they last. It felt like some sort of joke.

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

From the animation it doesn't look like she's actually pulling the string back further and further, just that she's looking for a more steady shot. But like I said, most previous games like this were set up that way so its easy to mistake it.

I'll admit it. I beat Horizon (and got my first platinum :toot:) but went the entire game assuming that a full draw caused more damage. Still loved it, but when I go back to it I'll certainly look forward to taking quicker shots .

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

In Horizon your arrows fire at full strength from first draw and if you're clever you can even cancel the animation to fire them off shotgun style. Draw time doesn't affect damage, only accuracy. There is also no aim assist to my knowledge, at least not on the higher difficulties. It feels really good when you can start no-scoping Watchers without even needing to zoom in.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I'm pretty sure it explicitly stated that a full draw increases accuracy, but I don't doubt people just assume it's power as well.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I don't remember Ull being that much of a problem, but yeah the fire lady was a really lame fight on every level.

Ubisoft open world games just don't know how to close, they're always anticlimactic and pointless. I enjoyed Assassin's Creed Syndicate but the last battle is like "Bad guy has a plan, you do the same objectives you do in every mission, plan is defeated instantly, dodge obstacles for cutscene, end on a bunch of unrelated characters I don't care about."

Watch Dogs 2 was fun for the most part too, but even there the end is "Bad guy has a plan, you do the same objectives you do in every mission, plan is defeated instantly"

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, my most recent playthrough I'm doing totally hudless, and aiming the bow with no crosshairs is really... Exciting.

I have not hit a rabbit yet, though. Knocking cannisters off is much easier. They have a generous hotbox.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
Fallout 4 is 20 bucks. Is Fallout 4 worth 20 bucks?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I don't remember Ull being that much of a problem, but yeah the fire lady was a really lame fight on every level.

Ubisoft open world games just don't know how to close, they're always anticlimactic and pointless. I enjoyed Assassin's Creed Syndicate but the last battle is like "Bad guy has a plan, you do the same objectives you do in every mission, plan is defeated instantly, dodge obstacles for cutscene, end on a bunch of unrelated characters I don't care about."

Watch Dogs 2 was fun for the most part too, but even there the end is "Bad guy has a plan, you do the same objectives you do in every mission, plan is defeated instantly"

Yeah. Their games always end on a wet fart. I straight up don't know if I actually beat Primal. it just popped me back out into the world with all the story missions done. Then I realized I don't care and I'm done with it either way.

That was one of the many nice things about Horizon. It actually had a pretty satisfying final battle that felt way more substantial than an average battle.

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

Someones probably going to tell you no, but it absolutely is. poo poo I thought it was well worth $60.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

No.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

that depends on if and why you like fallout games. fallout 4 pissed me off a lot but i definitely twenty bucks enjoyed it, but also its twenty bucks on pc at the moment too which is obviously way less mod restricted and a better choice if you can choose between the two.

the voiced dialogue means there's no actual dialogue branching everywhere and most every quest boils down to "but thou must!" and if it DOES have an alternate option it is always to tell someone to gently caress off and then you just do nothing instead, but the map is pretty dense and the shooting is significantly better than the previous games. the fort building stuff is kinda fun to me but its also totally pointless. if you care about plot or stuff making sense in said plot or you expect the game to be an rpg you might end up very disappointed, its extremely light on rpg stuff now other than stats and "but thou must!"

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

yeah

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

No, it's really bad. The story is utter muck, the worst Bethesda have ever done by a mile and the gunplay feels horrific on console. I paid €70 for it and I've never regretted a purchase more in my life.

I had some fun wandering the wastelands in a power armour suit but once you touch the main story or the *shudder* base building, it gets really bad.

It also has some of the worst performance I've ever seen on a PS4 game. The Battle for Bunker Hill level was in single digit FPS.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Like, man, Syndicate's ending was terrible. The two main characters resolve a fight I didn't even know was happening because it only appears in voice-overs and background dialogue, the main challenge is dodging obstacles but since it's an Ubisoft game you can just fail through them and it still ends the same way, the Queen of England comes in for some reason, and then you see a music video set in the modern world story that I had forgotten was actually even a thing

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

yea it's worth that. the story is awful and the game doesn't run that well (what I'm saying is that it's a bethesda game, basically, but this is the worst main story they've ever done), but the world is dense with content and mechanically it's vastly superior to the last fallout games as a shooter. go into it expecting a modern fallout 3 instead of new vegas and you'll be alright

tho if you didn't like fallout 3, skyrim, oblivion, etc then this game won't change your mind

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I feel like fallout on pc where mods are a much bigger thing is kind of a different investment than fallout on console, where you actually have to play the game exactly as they made it.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

If you enjoyed 3 and new Vegas, you'll get 20 bucks of fun out of fo4. It's more of the same really. If you miss playing it, just do it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The main story for Fo4 is one of the worst, but the world design and exploration are really fun and it has serviceable combat. Plenty of the side quests are really solid too. It's flawed but I had a ton of fun with it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I started playing it on the PC but stopped a long time ago, did they ever patch it so the settlers can like...eat and breathe by themselves without my constant guidance?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

they're determined to never put the season pass / dlc on sale though so if that matters to you it's still a $50 game when it's on sale for $20. and most of that season pass dlc is stuff that are essentially paid mods, but far harbor was pretty cool

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea it was more good than bad

I don't like that they simplified a lot of the rpg stuff but that just seems to be bethesda's mo lately. exploring the world is as good as its ever been tho. really the worst sin that fallout 4 commits is doing absolutely nothing new. it's all small changes

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
If you liked Fallout 3, 4 is a much better version of that with Minecraft-style settlement building added on. You also get a choice of which (underdeveloped and somewhat dumb) faction you wanna align with instead of being limited to the BoS this time, and some companions that are actually likable!

It's nothing like the first two or New Vegas though and there are only about 6-7 quests that don't just boil down to <kill boss> or <get item>, but it's definitely the best combat/crafting/scavenging/sneak-snipering they've ever done, so if you like Bethesda games they've gotten that poo poo down to a science.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

God drat the B playthrough of Nier is a slog--wish it was optional. Story has actually piqued my interests a bit now rather than being a generic dystopian future with robots and took a turn I didn't see coming. Y'all better be right about C being the meat and potatoes, otherwise I'm buying everyone scantily clad anime avatars

Why would you reward people if they're wrong

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

Not really.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
Ok I'm going to do it. I have $40 in gift cards so I am not going to be that mad if Fallout 4 is pretty bad.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

My advice is to just avoid the main story.

Hop in a power armour suit and wander toward the edges of the map, it's the closest thing I've played to STALKER on console.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo

veni veni veni posted:

The main story for Fo4 is one of the worst, but the world design and exploration are really fun and it has serviceable combat.
Bethesda games are rarely ever narratively interesting (or even good), but yeah their strength is building worlds that are fun to explore.
I loved the world map from Fallout 3 and 4 because it's such a nonsensical potpourri of cool landmarks and events, always weird things to see and do.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The building ui on console is a hatecrime against fun

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Did they ever up the limit on building stuff?

The settlement stuff was so pointless but it was pretty drat fun. The UI was bad. It I got by with it. I just wish they had actually made it relevant to the game instead of just having this robust, but borderline pointless building mode.

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

Yes

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I'd disagree about AC.

Syndicate is bad, but the Ezio games were pretty great, 3 ends the Desmond stuff well, Rogue and Unity were pretty good as well.

2 ending with you fist fighting the Pope and getting a legit great WTF is going on is a great end

I'm going to ignore the Bonfire of the Vanities DLC though.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I played FO4 on PC or about six hours and went gently caress this game, so not $20 worth for me.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Fo4 is worth it to see how bad a script can be

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
So did anyone end up getting Rime and if so how is it?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

glam rock hamhock posted:

So did anyone end up getting Rime and if so how is it?

Stuttery fps. https://youtu.be/cQsYhdVJMYk

Reviews say its baby easy but looks and sounds good.

Not gonna buy it meself

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

rabidsquid posted:

they're determined to never put the season pass / dlc on sale though so if that matters to you it's still a $50 game when it's on sale for $20. and most of that season pass dlc is stuff that are essentially paid mods, but far harbor was pretty cool

The season pass is $29 on Amazon right now

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
I played through the entirety of Fallout 3 on the 360 and yet the utter jank of 4 on the PS4 was enough to put me of after a handful of hours.

I keep saying ill go back to it and then I remember the base building gimmick and, just no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I've been considering getting Tekken 7 when it comes out, but I'm very skeptical about doing so. A couple of years ago, I tried a lot of fighting games on PS3 and Tekken Tag Tournament 2 was among them. I played it for bit, but I don't remember getting a strong handle on any of the fighters other than the tutorial robot (Combot). I reinstalled it the other night when I saw Maximilian Dood playing it on Twitch, but after playing it for a few minutes, I didn't really feel up to playing it and uninstalled it again (thought that might have just been due to the fact that it was really late and I was tired).

I heard that Tekken 7 is supposed to be a lot more welcoming to beginners, and I imagine the online community will be a lot more lively than TTT2's. Should I consider picking it up?