Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Young Freud posted:

Not sure if this has been posted, but memorial tweets about the two victims of the Portland slayings.

https://twitter.com/studentactivism/status/868606959062323200

Good thing the political affiliation was mentioned so both sides now whether to praise or condemn this man for dying to save someone else.

We're pretty hosed up that his politics is even on anyone's mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Ol Standard Retard posted:

Y'all it says "negro" right there in the name, come on!

- Jeff Sessions, probably

So does Negro Modelo and it's only turned me a little darker while loving my wimmens, stealing my poo poo and shooting the police. Come on Jeff my man, a little more melanin never hurt anyone, besides people with too much melanin that is.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

RandomBlue posted:

Good thing the political affiliation was mentioned so both sides now whether to praise or condemn this man for dying to save someone else.

Actually, I think it's a good thing. If you step in to help someone in trouble and I learn that you disagree with a lot of my worldview, it brings me out of my little corner of thinking my side is the only virtuous one. It's a genuine way of building bridges and getting people to share some common humanity.

It's also a way to show to conservatives who may be tempted into becoming reactionaries that they are also at risk, that these radicals are not going to limit themselves to 'safe' targets and may explode in any direction. Which is a more mercenary way of looking at things, but hey, if it will diminish reactionary growth, I'll take it.

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

I think it was only brought up because it mentioned that he ran for office recently. Filled out the sentence. I don't think it was supposed to read any deeper.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
That video looks more like Trump was flipping off the camera crew?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

I believe the current right wing spin is actually the murderer was really a leftist.

Oxxidation posted:

sky shark was posting images about how the murderer supported Sanders, and because sky shark is certifiably one of the dumbest pieces of poo poo alive it's probably safe to say that's the latest party line.

Kind of hard to frame that considering there's video of this guy in April chanting the N-word and making Nazi salutes while wearing a cape made from an American flag at a free speech rally.
http://www.wfaa.com/news/crime/max-stabbing-suspect-is-a-self-proclaimed-white-nationalist/443609553

Of course, I'm wondering if this article and it's source is one of those Sinclair things, where they're doing tone policing to limit their political similarities and muddy the waters. Just some of the phrasing in that article is peculiar.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

My girlfriend went to school with this guy, graduated in that same ceremony. She knew him a little but a friend of ours had a lot of classes with him and knew him pretty well I guess. It's super loving sad. You do what you're supposed to do and defend people from hatred and racism and end up dead. loving sucks.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

/pol/tards have never pretended to be somebody they aren't!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Young Freud posted:

Kind of hard to frame that considering there's video of this guy in April chanting the N-word and making Nazi salutes while wearing a cape made from an American flag at a free speech rally.
http://www.wfaa.com/news/crime/max-stabbing-suspect-is-a-self-proclaimed-white-nationalist/443609553

Of course, I'm wondering if this article and it's source is one of those Sinclair things, where they're doing tone policing to limit their political similarities and muddy the waters. Just some of the phrasing in that article is peculiar.

Here's how, from your own article:

quote:

In a post three days after the inauguration of Donald Trump, Christian posted:
“If Donald Trump is the Next Hitler then I am joining his SS to put an end to Monotheist Question. All Zionist Jews, All Christians who do not follow Christ's teaching of Love, Charity, and Forgiveness And All Jihadi Muslims are going to Madagascar or the Ovens/FEMA Camps!!! Does this make me a fascist!!! #MonotheistHolocaust FinalSolutionToTheMonotheistQuestion”
On that same day Christian, who shows support for Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders on his Facebook page, posted a death threat about Hillary Clinton.

See the leftist are the real racists!

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Young Freud posted:

"Us Swedish and Norwegians—"

- an American man who has never left the country and last relatives from Europe are his great grandparents, probably

e: Wait, he's saying his people (Swedish and Norwegians, again) have prior claim to the US through Vinland aka the places in current day Canada that the Vikings explored. Does he not know that there were already people living in North America who say gently caress your to your claims or do they not count as people?

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 07:38 on May 28, 2017

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Boris Galerkin posted:

"Us Swedish and Norwegians—"

- an American man who has never left the country and last relatives from Europe are his great grandparents, probably

e: Wait, he's saying his people (Swedish and Norwegians, again) have prior claim to the US through Vinland aka the places in current day Canada that the Vikings explored. Does he not know that there were already people living in North America who say gently caress your to your claims or do they not count as people?

Knowing and caring are two different things.

Also, lol if you count the settlement of Vinland as the beginning of your ancestry. That place was wiped out/abandoned long before Columbo came on his slave-cruise.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
The Oregon stabber apparently, briefly supported Bernie during the primary, so right-wing twitter bots have taken to the net to paint the Trump-loving, white supremacist as a "leftist".

Brace yourselves for real life people to state this in the near future.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

RandomBlue posted:

Yeah, the only politics that matter hear is the hate mongering bile from the right that instigates this kind of crap.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Claiming Viking lineage is probably just old school Nazi/Aryan white power stuff.

Tlacuache
Jul 3, 2007
Cross my heart, smack me dead, stick a lobster on my head.

Chilichimp posted:

The Oregon stabber apparently, briefly supported Bernie during the primary, so right-wing twitter bots have taken to the net to paint the Trump-loving, white supremacist as a "leftist".

Brace yourselves for real life people to state this in the near future.

JJ McNab posted a bunch of screen caps and links on her twitter and it seems like he was mostly a "gently caress Hillary and the establishment" Bernie Bro who went for Trump after Bernie lost the nomination. Dude also has a long history of violence and association with white supremacists, and spent time in jail on a weapons charge in 2013/14.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Young Freud posted:

All three of these men came from different backgrounds but were united in death and bodily injury for a common cause.

I read this article about Ricky Best last night. http://www.oregonlive.com/happy-valley/index.ssf/2014/03/retired_happy_valley_army_mech.html he was good people and I mourn his passing.

I also mourn the passing of Taliesin Meche, both men gave their lives to assert the fact that my community, despite it's troubled racial history, doesn't accept hate.

highme fucked around with this message at 08:21 on May 28, 2017

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

According to records, Christian has a history of violence. In 2002, wearing a ski mask, he handcuffed a North Portland shopkeeper to the counter while stealing cash and cigarettes. Following the robbery, Christian was shot in the face by a Portland police officer.

Well I cant say they didnt try I guess.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I posted about this in another thread (a bad thread) with the point that regardless of the guy's politics, the problem for the right-wing activists putting on these free speech rallies is that they're still attracting unhinged men like that -- regardless of whether they disavow them or try to spin them away or not. That's a problem for the people who go on to wind up dead because of it, but it's also a problem for the Based Stickmans and the like. I'm not sure "yeah, there are guys in our movement who are false-flag infiltrators who will randomly murder people to make us look bad" is a good selling point.

And it's almost inevitable this will happen, not only because they're giving a platform for Nazis, but because the whole concept of a "free speech" rally is vague and directionless. The rallies are put on for the sake of putting on rallies. It's weirdly reminiscent of OWS, except from the far right, and even with some of the same politically fluid, vaguely libertarian livestreamer personalities who've latched onto it.

Sephyr posted:

It's also a way to show to conservatives who may be tempted into becoming reactionaries that they are also at risk, that these radicals are not going to limit themselves to 'safe' targets and may explode in any direction. Which is a more mercenary way of looking at things, but hey, if it will diminish reactionary growth, I'll take it.
I agree with this.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 08:17 on May 28, 2017

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

RBA Starblade posted:

I went to the Nick Cave concert in NY and in Red Right Hand he started swapping out lyrics to poo poo on Trump instead. It was a good concert.

I went to see Modest Mouse, and the opener was a lounge singer painted silver, who opened up with a song called "gently caress the future"

Also, Modest Mouse didn't play Float On :(

Wang_Tang
Jan 11, 2004

Cryptologic
The newest hot take regarding the Portland attacker goes even deeper...

https://twitter.com/Cernovich/status/868674921882308609

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

Flesh Forge posted:

Claiming Viking lineage is probably just old school Nazi/Aryan white power stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjXtNGzSNFc

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy

RBA Starblade posted:

I went to the Nick Cave concert in NY and in Red Right Hand he started swapping out lyrics to poo poo on Trump instead. It was a good concert.

as a nick cave fan, i demand audio

Wang_Tang posted:

shitthatdidnthappen.txt

also michael cernovich is the fuckin worst

psychoJ fucked around with this message at 08:20 on May 28, 2017

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Wang_Tang posted:

Hahaha, if there's one thing this guy Jeremy Christian is very consistent about, it's that he hates Antifa.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Sephyr posted:

Actually, I think it's a good thing. If you step in to help someone in trouble and I learn that you disagree with a lot of my worldview, it brings me out of my little corner of thinking my side is the only virtuous one. It's a genuine way of building bridges and getting people to share some common humanity.

My point was that no matter how different two people's world views are, they should both believe that trying to stop some psycho from killing another person is the right thing to do and hopefully act on it.

The fact that people think that needs to be pointed out shows how hosed up things are in the world right now.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Boris Galerkin posted:

That video looks more like Trump was flipping off the camera crew?

It really doesn't matter who he's flipping off while trying to act like a sly middle schooler. He's the loving President of the USA at a highly visible international gathering of other leaders, ones that we have generally been working with amicably (though that shouldn't matter).

He shouldn't be trying to pull off some "sly" childish 12 year old insult. Seeing any adult trying to do this in a serious situation would be ridiculous, but for someone in his position it's loving pitiful and makes us look pitiful by extension.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Chilichimp posted:

Yeah, the only politics that matter hear is the hate mongering bile from the right that instigates this kind of crap.

Yup, the attacker's motivations, specifically the political ones and their reflection on the current political situation in the US should be the only politics being discussed. It doesn't even matter if the person he was attacking was super fringe "gently caress This One Guy, I Hope He Dies and I Would Like to Kill Him" party, because he was the one carrying out the act.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Flesh Forge posted:

My whole family has been 100% Aryan Viking Jew Congolese Irish since we boarded Noah's ark and survived by killing animals that found animals of other bloodlines to be tolerable and drinking their blood.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

RandomBlue posted:

My whole family has been 100% Aryan Viking Jew Congolese Irish since we boarded (((Noah)))'s ark and survived by killing animals that found animals of other bloodlines to be tolerable and drinking their blood.

Edit seems appropriate.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

What's the deal with (((parenthesis)))? I don't follow randoms on twitter and I literally pruned my entire Facebook friends of right wing assholes and I don't read Reddit. So I have no idea what they mean.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

RandomBlue posted:

It really doesn't matter who he's flipping off while trying to act like a sly middle schooler. He's the loving President of the USA at a highly visible international gathering of other leaders, ones that we have generally been working with amicably (though that shouldn't matter).

He shouldn't be trying to pull off some "sly" childish 12 year old insult. Seeing any adult trying to do this in a serious situation would be ridiculous, but for someone in his position it's loving pitiful and makes us look pitiful by extension.

It does matter in this context because the gif is being framed as "Trump is flipping off Italy!"

If the guy would have posted it saying "look at Trump being a child and slyly flipping someone off on camera" then it wouldn't matter. But that's not what the context is.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

What's the deal with (((parenthesis)))? I don't follow randoms on twitter and I literally pruned my entire Facebook friends of right wing assholes and I don't read Reddit. So I have no idea what they mean.

Names with ((( ))) around them are people of known jewish descent. The ((( ))) marks them out as part of the global jewish conspiracy. Or something similar to that.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Boris Galerkin posted:

Someone have the altrightdictionary link handy?

It's making fun of the racist right-wing talking heads that use reverb when mentioning a person's name super subtle way of saying someone is a jew, using the parans to represent the reverb.

So now when people talking about (((Duke))) the Bush Beans dog, you'll know he's a filthy jew dog that shouldn't get any beggin' strips or tummy rubs.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Boris Galerkin posted:

You put a Jewish person's name in triple-parenthesis as a way of signaling to other right-wingers that this is someone who needs to go. Just yet another disgusting thing that a lot of us try to spread knowledge of so people know what's going on with anyone who unironically uses them.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Flesh Forge posted:

Hahaha, if there's one thing this guy Jeremy Christian is very consistent about, it's that he hates Antifa.

Ah yes, if there's anything radicalized left wingers love it's nazi white power assholes. Lousy with them they are.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Boris Galerkin posted:

It does matter in this context because the gif is being framed as "Trump is flipping off Italy!"

If the guy would have posted it saying "look at Trump being a child and slyly flipping someone off on camera" then it wouldn't matter. But that's not what the context is.

It's the exact same context but with a different target. It's something no adult should be doing in anything approaching a serious situation, especially a highly visible international meeting with world leaders that's obviously being filmed and can be seen by millions.

If he is flipping off the camera, and by extension millions of people, is that better than flipping off the PM of Italy? Why would he be doing that stupid gradeschool gesture at anything other than a person (or at all of course)?

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Boris Galerkin posted:

If your only point is that someone put a possibly inaccurate caption on a video of the President doing something utterly moronic, childish, inexcusable and embarrassing for country as a whole while on the world stage then I don't know what to say to that. Ok I guess?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Apoplexy posted:

You put a Jewish person's name in triple-parenthesis as a way of signaling to other right-wingers that this is someone who needs to go. Just yet another disgusting thing that a lot of us try to spread knowledge of so people know what's going on with anyone who unironically uses them.

I seriously can't tell if you and the other guys are just loving with me. My heart tells me you're not.

RandomBlue posted:

It's the exact same context but with a different target. It's something no adult should be doing in anything approaching a serious situation, especially a highly visible international meeting with world leaders that's obviously being filmed and can be seen by millions.

If he is flipping off the camera, and by extension millions of people, is that better than flipping off the PM of Italy? Why would he be doing that stupid gradeschool gesture at anything other than a person (or at all of course)?

Do you not understand the difference between these two scenarios?

1. "Look at this picture of Trump subtly flipping off the PM of Italy. Trump is such a joke." <Shows picture of Trump flipping off the camera.>

2. "Look at this picture of Trump subtly flipping off the camera. Trump is such a joke." <Shows picture of Trump flipping off the camera.>

Yes I understand that this is a childish thing to do for anybody but especially a leader of a country at an international summit. But the former is an alternative fact and the latter is a fact.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

I seriously can't tell if you and the other guys are just loving with me. My heart tells me you're not.

They're not.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Ice Phisherman posted:

Ah yes, if there's anything radicalized left wingers love it's nazi white power assholes. Lousy with them they are.

Weren't they clamoring to strip black people of voting rights in the primary?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Boris Galerkin posted:

Do you not understand the difference between these two scenarios?

1. "Look at this picture of Trump subtly flipping off the PM of Italy. Trump is such a joke." <Shows picture of Trump flipping off the camera.>

2. "Look at this picture of Trump subtly flipping off the camera. Trump is such a joke." <Shows picture of Trump flipping off the camera.>

Yes I understand that this is a childish thing to do for anybody but especially a leader of a country at an international summit. But the former is an alternative fact and the latter is a fact.

You have no solid proof of either other than your own opinion but decide to label #1 as an "alternative fact" while apparently accepting that either way is bad, which is really the main point.

Your either trolling or you're looking for the baseless pedantry thread, populated by people that now the facts without having any.

• Locked thread