Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

inkjet_lakes
Feb 9, 2015
Okay... I live in the North of England & I swear I just saw an OV-10 fly over, the gently caress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

cowboy elvis posted:

Well there goes my shot at being a Scientology flight engineer.

Wherein you must monitor both EGT and Thetan levels throughout all phases of flight.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I guess the Scientology thing explains why he went 707 instead of DC-8 :v:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

inkjet_lakes posted:

Okay... I live in the North of England & I swear I just saw an OV-10 fly over, the gently caress?

The US had been operating OV-10s (again) on a pretty grey basis for awhile now.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

inkjet_lakes posted:

Yes, you did.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I found this YouTube channel a couple of months ago. Basically a bunch of cool old people who are way into airplanes get these industry guys to come in and talk. They're all fantastic watches.

Here's one of a Northrop Grumman engineer discussing the design evolution of the Tomcat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsUCixAeZ0A

savex
May 28, 2014

mlmp08 posted:

Yes, you did.

Out of curiosity, this is a screen shot of what app/internet site?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

savex posted:

Out of curiosity, this is a screen shot of what app/internet site?

https://www.flightradar24.com/

I realized after posting that shot that you can also direct link to an aircraft from the website so people can just click it and see the flight in real time.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

Delivery McGee posted:

Does, say, an F-15 have the same problems when truckin' along at about the speed of your average .30-caliber rifle bullet (for much shorter time and distance, obviously)? I've read that the F-15C can exceed its structural speed limit when pulled 90 degrees nose-up as soon as Vr is achieved; the air's too thick down here, and can tear the wings off from frontal drag if they just firewall the throttles off the strip. I.e. most models of F-15 can the thing can hit Vne in a vertical climb, riding to Valhalla on twin pillars of fire.

I'm guessing you read about that F-15 fact from my earlier big post about the Streak Eagle. That's a different phenomenon from what I wrote about the Concorde here. There's nothing exceptional about most jets being able to overspeed themselves in level flight, or even in a shallow climb, even at typical working loads.

What was exceptional about the Streak Eagle was its ability to overspeed straight up, but even that's kind of a half-truth or a theoretical awesome fact, if you will. That ability is a function of its incredible excess thrust at sea level, which quickly falls off with altitude; and the very low speed limit (based on dynamic pressure, or "Q") also at sea level, which goes up quickly with altitude. So the window opens up quickly based on both of those fronts, and by the time the plane was pointed straight up, it was in conditions in which the fun fact is no longer true.

Putting it another way, if you could sci-fi-rig some sort of giant air chamber with uniform air density (sea level conditions all the way up) and normal gravity, most planes would fly more or less normally in it, but the Streak Eagle would have to throttle back going straight up, and that is awesome!

slidebite posted:

Do British people tend to gloss over the French involvement in Concorde and basically claim it as their own?

I don't know about that, but there were certainly at least a few posts about apalling French mechanical neglect of their Concordes, and procedural neglect in flight ops leading to compressor stalls and engine damage. And the 2000 crash.

MrChips posted:

That Concorde thread is an incredible read from start to finish, and with voices that we don't often hear from, like mechanics and flight attendants.

:hfive:

Finger Prince posted:

Thanks for that post last page, vessbot! Adding to OP.

Thanks! I noticed that my stuff there is split up into separate sections now, the other stuff being the Streak Eagle posts. Mind putting them in one place? Oh and thanks for including MrChips' P-42 addendum in there, that was good stuff.

RaffyTaffy
Oct 15, 2008
How do I search by a plane type on search radar? A B-25 flew over my house on its way to LAX last wednesday and I am curious which one.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

cowboy elvis posted:

I found this YouTube channel a couple of months ago. Basically a bunch of cool old people who are way into airplanes get these industry guys to come in and talk. They're all fantastic watches.

Here's one of a Northrop Grumman engineer discussing the design evolution of the Tomcat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsUCixAeZ0A

I hope he's being sarcastic here, but there's a fantastic shot of an absolutely terrible landing (in-flight engagement) at the 48:23 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsUCixAeZ0A&t=2900s

Very neat video, I'll have to check out the other ones when I get a chance.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

drunkill posted:

John Travolta is donating his 707 to the Historical Aircraft Restoration Society in NSW Australia.
http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/4690468/john-travolta-donates-his-boeing-707-to-hars-in-albion-park/

Too bad for me; I'm going there next week which is presumably too soon to see it.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

https://m.imgur.com/r/nononono/Vweg5Uu
at hospital, lost fingat

inkjet_lakes
Feb 9, 2015

mlmp08 posted:

Yes, you did.

Thanks, had no idea there were any in civil hands- the glazed rear & orange panels confused me, turns out it was the target tug variant. Another one for the 'aircraft I thought I'd never see' list!

savex
May 28, 2014

vessbot posted:

I don't know about that, but there were certainly at least a few posts about apalling French mechanical neglect of their Concordes, and procedural neglect in flight ops leading to compressor stalls and engine damage. And the 2000 crash.

Wasn't the 2000 crash caused by a piece of metal on the runway that puncture the fuel tank after rolling over it? Even if the mechanic didn't neglect anything, the crash still would have happened...

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Crossposting from AIRPOWER thread
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5qEhY3XD6Q

:(

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I hope he's being sarcastic here, but there's a fantastic shot of an absolutely terrible landing (in-flight engagement) at the 48:23 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsUCixAeZ0A&t=2900s

Very neat video, I'll have to check out the other ones when I get a chance.

The lecture from the test pilot of the yf-23 is exactly as good as it should be, because it's awesome.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

:holymoley:

Google founder building an airship yacht

Size (this is probably length, not displacement): about 200 m [656 ft]

e: durr a bit of a crossed wire there, the article compares 'size' with the Hindenburg and the Macon but doesn't talk displacement.

Lifting gas: Helium (they wanted to use hydrogen but that is illegal under US law as a prop to BIG HELIUM)

Expect it to have: hover skirts/suction skirts like the British/Lockheed design, dynamic gas ballasting to adjust lift, likely a significant dynamic lift component

Price: estimated 100-150 million

In addition to being a yacht for Brin and friends, it will also be designed for airlifting humanitarian supplies to disaster zones, making this a very socially responsible superyacht

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 20:46 on May 28, 2017

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

savex posted:

Wasn't the 2000 crash caused by a piece of metal on the runway that puncture the fuel tank after rolling over it? Even if the mechanic didn't neglect anything, the crash still would have happened...

Yes, but on the other hand there's the opinion of french people held by the average english white male.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/AP/status/868863456275034117

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I saw we mull a ban on Homeland Security.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

I saw we mull a ban on Homeland Security.

I have been for years and it isn't doing a goddamned thing

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Mull wine, not bans.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

savex posted:

In that Concorde thread it was explained that tire failures puncturing fuel tanks was pretty common for Concorde, the piece of metal that fell off the MD plane was just a convenient way to shift the blame.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah I'm sure the FOD ingestion was also convenient. JFC

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

evil_bunnY posted:

Yeah I'm sure the FOD ingestion was also convenient. JFC

Why not both? There's a reason it's always failure chains that result in disasters.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

Why not both? There's a reason it's always failure chains that result in disasters.
The implication was that they blamed an accident on a fairly common occurrence to hide bad maintenance or whatever it is the english thought the french were incapable of. FOD to the engines and fuel tanks on takeoff isn't exactly that common.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 09:09 on May 29, 2017

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

evil_bunnY posted:

FOD Ingestion on takeoff resulting in engine damage isn't exactly that common.

I'm no engineer, but I note that the engine placement on Concorde is much more inline compared to a normal jet engine which might suggest its more inclined to be in the line of fire for FOD ingestion, and maybe the engine is a bit more fragile than a bog standard GE or RR engine of the era? Wouldn't it be more fair to compare it to the Bone?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

There's been a pretty well documented history of takeoff gear failures on Concorde (from both AF and BA). NTSB issued repeated warnings (going as far as to mention potential catastrophically failure modes). The AF boys were unlucky that theirs resulted in a fire which ultimately doomed them. Blaming AF-specific maintenance practices is a bit rich.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

inkjet_lakes posted:

Thanks, had no idea there were any in civil hands- the glazed rear & orange panels confused me, turns out it was the target tug variant. Another one for the 'aircraft I thought I'd never see' list!

I saw the Bronco at the Duxford Air Festival yesterday; it was the first plane to display, it topped up with fuel and once the RAF Typhoon had cleared off it flew straight to a display it had been booked for in Belgium.

First time I've seen a Bronco and I was really surprised how big they are; more like a B-25. I didn't know they had paratroop capability or that they could be chucked around the sky like that! Pretty cool

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
The concorde was rapidly getting less economical, and wasn't economical to start with; the crash just pushed it over.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The AF and BA didn't want to pay the costs to have new tires designed and tested for safety because that'd cost a lot of money. Meanwhile they hadn't lost a plane and they didn't have to fix the problem so why treat it like a problem?

I'm reasonably sure that the cost of the crash would have been more than double the cost BA and AF would have incurred fixing the issue in the first place.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

That monster Concorde thread basically said they were able to use the type of tires which were being developed for the A380 and it solved having to go nuts developing new rubber for Concrode. The thing that killed the Concorde was that apparently Airbus wanted to wash their hands of it so badly they made the support costs so astronomically high they knew BA and AF would finally retire it.

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!

MrChips posted:

Two hours of Maverick shuffling papers at a desk in the Pentagon, while Iceman flies a 777 for Emirates, having been screwed on seniority when the American airline that hired him out of the Navy was bought up by a rival.

I'm thinking Maverick's story line is more that he's bitter that he's been transferred to an E-6 squadron, culminating in Viper asking to ride right seat during an airshow demonstration which results in a too-steep, too-low bank taking the Mercury straight into the ground and crashing into the rest of Goose's family. The whole sequence is set to Sail ensuring that no one ever uses that drat song for an aviation video ever again.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

MrChips posted:

Two hours of Maverick shuffling papers at a desk in the Pentagon, while Iceman flies a 777 for Emirates, having been screwed on seniority when the American airline that hired him out of the Navy was bought up by a rival.

At this point he'd on the board at Grumman or Boeing, or as a contractor reading EO/IR/SAR/MTI/FMV data. People who watched Top Gun in elementary school are retiring from the military at this point.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Godholio posted:

People who watched Top Gun in elementary school are retiring from the military at this point.

Kinda premature on that. I'm pretty sure I was in the first grade in '86 and I'm 36 now. Any JO retiring at 36 is probably someone who got passed over for O-4 twice or something.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I know a few prior-Es that have punched at 20 that were in the elementary school age range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savex
May 28, 2014

ehnus posted:

I'm thinking Maverick's story line is more that he's bitter that he's been transferred to an E-6 squadron, culminating in Viper asking to ride right seat during an airshow demonstration which results in a too-steep, too-low bank taking the Mercury straight into the ground and crashing into the rest of Goose's family. The whole sequence is set to Sail ensuring that no one ever uses that drat song for an aviation video ever again.

Something something North Korea, something something General Trump, something something pass it down to Maverick's kids with daddy's issue.