Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
He also kicked the guy in the back after he was sprayed and trying to leave. So, sprayer man committed a crime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

doverhog posted:

He also kicked the guy in the back after he was sprayed and trying to leave. So, sprayer man committed a crime.

Not that any jury would convict him of. If someone is trying to leave your property but taking his drat time at the door you'd have a hard time getting an assault charge to stick when the property owner is trying to create distance.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Seems pretty obvious to me. Shop guy gave him an estimate, ends up it wasn't the whole problem and he needs to do more to fix it, costing more, laptop guy says no way I'm not paying that, gimme my laptop I'm outta here, shop guy says okay pay me for what I already did, guy says no gimme mah laptop.

Pepper spraying him was pretty over the top and possibly illegal, but he was legally owed the payment. And having to charge him in court would be a pain in the loving rear end.

The legal question would be actually what he said to him when he dropped the laptop off, and whether he had him sign anything.

The video is from the shop owner and it completely skips that part though. I'm suspect to believe the shop owner was an rear end in a top hat and doesn't want that part of the video showing up.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The guy who got sprayed was being pretty aggressive and argumentative. He makes a pretty big showing off calling the cops (and keeps asking his girlfriend to check that they're actually on the way), at which point why not just wait for them outside? It's not like the shop is going anywhere.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

SpacePig posted:

I really enjoy the folks pointing out that Trump said we shouldn't elect Hillary because she didn't have the stamina.

He said that himself on a debate.

The man is just one big projection

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Jabor posted:

The guy who got sprayed was being pretty aggressive and argumentative. He makes a pretty big showing off calling the cops (and keeps asking his girlfriend to check that they're actually on the way), at which point why not just wait for them outside? It's not like the shop is going anywhere.

I imagine he was more concerned about his laptop disappearing than the shop

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Jabor posted:

Yeah shop owner dude was trapped, being menaced by an aggressive person and gave multiple "back off" and "leave my store" warnings so that's all that really matters.

After seeing that video I could care less about what the initial estimate was. Also surprise estimates are exactly what it says on the tin and they can absolutely go up.

Otherwise it wouldn't be an estimate would it.

jase1
Aug 11, 2004

Flankensttein: A name given to a FPS gamer who constantly flanks to get kills.

"So I was playing COD yesterday, and some flankenstein came up from behind and shot me."
The moment the guy goes past the counter and grabs the plug out of his socket the owner was in his rights to protect his property. Because the customer dropped off the laptop for service even if the owner kept it and stole it customer would still have to go to civil court to get it back. customer can't grab it himself or it will be stealing. He asked the guy to leave several times and warned him several times that he was gonna spray him. The owner committed no crime and I have been i situations like that a million times and had to spray and stun people several times because of their aggressive acts on my lot. I had a lady who was so upset at how much her vehicle repairs were that she tried to drive the vehicle out of my garage. I closed the garage on her vehicle and it smashed up her car and broke my garage. She was responsible for everything including my broken garage. Her car was my property and she stole it and I did anything i could to prevent her from stealing my property. The judge ruled in my favor and ordered her to pay it all even when she was on the stand saying that I tried to steal her car she still had no right to go and steal it back. I still get $50 a month checks from her this day and it happened almost 2 years ago.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

doverhog posted:

Probably not. Everything that shop owner did looks like self defense and is justified.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
My understanding in Ontario is that when you drop off your car for repairs, they have you sign an estimate which includes a lien on your car for the repair costs. In chit-chat with the mechanic he said they can't stop me from taking the car back without paying as it remains my property, but they can go to court to enforce the lien - I can't steal my own car.

e: I am wrong!

quote:

A repairer can keep possession of your vehicle if you don’t pay the repair bill. If they give you your vehicle back and you then refuse to pay, a repair shop can register a lien against your vehicle. They could then have your vehicle seized and, if they give you advanced notice, sell or donate the vehicle

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Rust Martialis posted:

My understanding in Ontario is that when you drop off your car for repairs, they have you sign an estimate which includes a lien on your car for the repair costs. In chit-chat with the mechanic he said they can't stop me from taking the car back without paying as it remains my property, but they can go to court to enforce the lien - I can't steal my own car.

e: I am wrong!

How does that work if you have a loan on the vehicle? In the US you don't have the legal right to give possession to a third party because you don't have a title.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

hanales posted:

How does that work if you have a loan on the vehicle? In the US you don't have the legal right to give possession to a third party because you don't have a title.

From the followup, I guess they get to hold the car legally while it remains your property

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Dude gets pulled over for speeding, is given a ticket and let go. But then ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3W-COc6WR0

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Dude gets pulled over for speeding, is given a ticket and let go. But then ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3W-COc6WR0

At that point just leave the car and walk. Cool off m8

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
These videos are great. "Well of course I was speeding, the bike doesn't have a speed gauge or brakes! What else was I supposed to do??? :rolleyes:"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPSbOoISWSY

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Rust Martialis posted:

From the followup, I guess they get to hold the car legally while it remains your property

And of course, shop owners can be dicks about it if they so choose. I once had my card get declined when I attempted to pay for a repair -- I learned later that it was because the auto shop guy ran the charge wrong, trying to put my debit card through as a credit card. (Debit cards CAN go through as credit for small amounts, but beyond a limit of a few hundred dollars it had to be correctly done as debit, with a PIN entered.) But I didn't know that at the time, so I apologized profusely and offered to go directly to my bank and come back with cash to pay for the repair.

But the guy wouldn't let me take the car until the repair was paid for, and I couldn't pay for the repair without driving across town to my bank. Impasse.

He ended up having one of his employees drive me to my bank in the company truck. I got the cash, paid him, and never went back to that shop again. He was within his rights to hold the car, but by doing so he threw away a good customer who'd been going to his shop for years.

JOHNSON COCKSLAP
Apr 2, 2017

by Lowtax
He doesn't give a poo poo about your continued custom and the fact you think he should reflects badly on you.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Thankfully mechanic's liens are illegal around here

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

JOHNSON COCKSLAP posted:

He doesn't give a poo poo about your continued custom and the fact you think he should reflects badly on you.

I'm pretty sure he does.

JOHNSON COCKSLAP
Apr 2, 2017

by Lowtax
:allears:

BovineFury
Oct 28, 2007
I moo for great justice!
People caught behaving badly by news crews.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzeLie-0Uvk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjKwL3_ndjs

Elkyrie
Mar 18, 2014

cool gimmick bruh

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

JOHNSON COCKSLAP posted:

I dunno about Australia, but in the States body shops have an endless supply of work due to automobile accidents. Mechanics rely on a certain subset of people who buy beaters because they can't save up enough to buy a new car without mechanical problems, but also don't know how to fix the car themselves. They end up becoming a part of the cycle of not having a nice new car. Customer loyalty from that group is necessary to keep a mechanic's shop afloat.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

NeurosisHead posted:

I dunno about Australia, but in the States body shops have an endless supply of work due to automobile accidents. Mechanics rely on a certain subset of people who buy beaters because they can't save up enough to buy a new car without mechanical problems, but also don't know how to fix the car themselves. They end up becoming a part of the cycle of not having a nice new car. Customer loyalty from that group is necessary to keep a mechanic's shop afloat.

Generally speaking in America there's two kinds of mechanics. First is honest mechanics. They're relatively uncommon and don't advertise. Mostly they get business through word of mouth and have a rabidly, fanatically loyal customer base simply because a mechanic that won't dick over a customer without car knowledge in any way they can is, in fact, quite uncommon. Second is dishonest mechanics. These are the ones that will tell you your car needs things it doesn't and are more likely to rely on people needing repairs right god damned now I don't care who does it get me the nearest mechanic. They probably also have deals with whoever tows broken down cars. "Yeah I know this guy, real stand up mechanic, I always recommend him!"

In some states inspection is also a real good income source.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

The chickens are coming home to roost for some rich rear end in a top hat voters. One man's tale of woe:

http://www.rawstory.com/2017/05/he-played-me-for-a-fool-kentucky-trump-supporter-laments-he-should-have-voted-for-hillary/

And while I'm here, I'll add this as well:

http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/332106/paul-ryan-photo-op-snubbed-by-a-bunch-of-eighth-graders/

Zamboni Rodeo has a new favorite as of 22:29 on May 28, 2017

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Powered Descent posted:

And of course, shop owners can be dicks about it if they so choose. I once had my card get declined when I attempted to pay for a repair -- I learned later that it was because the auto shop guy ran the charge wrong, trying to put my debit card through as a credit card. (Debit cards CAN go through as credit for small amounts, but beyond a limit of a few hundred dollars it had to be correctly done as debit, with a PIN entered.) But I didn't know that at the time, so I apologized profusely and offered to go directly to my bank and come back with cash to pay for the repair.

But the guy wouldn't let me take the car until the repair was paid for, and I couldn't pay for the repair without driving across town to my bank. Impasse.

He ended up having one of his employees drive me to my bank in the company truck. I got the cash, paid him, and never went back to that shop again. He was within his rights to hold the car, but by doing so he threw away a good customer who'd been going to his shop for years.

That sounds pretty reasonable, tbh. I'm guessing the discussion had got a bit heated before he thought of getting someone to drive you?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

SpacePig posted:

I really enjoy the folks pointing out that Trump said we shouldn't elect Hillary because she didn't have the stamina.

And JEB! had low energy. Heh.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Sunswipe posted:

That sounds pretty reasonable, tbh. I'm guessing the discussion had got a bit heated before he thought of getting someone to drive you?

Not really, no. Each of us thought the other was being unreasonable but no voices were raised or anything like that. After twenty minutes or so of back-and-forth, I asked him what he suggested I actually DO now. He paused for a long moment (I think that's when he belatedly realized that I wasn't just being difficult for the sake of it, he'd left me with no way to pay him) and offered the ride to the bank.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

This just looks like insurance fraud.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The perfect metaphor for public transit in Florida, really.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

this is me as an uncle. drinking a beer, smoking all while waiting for the opportune moment to gently caress with my niece

white_noise
Apr 26, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

DiggityDoink posted:

this is me as an uncle. drinking a beer, smoking all while waiting for the opportune moment to gently caress my niece

I had to do a double-take because this is what I read

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Have you ever worked a day in your life, FAROOQ?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

These videos are great. "Well of course I was speeding, the bike doesn't have a speed gauge or brakes! What else was I supposed to do??? :rolleyes:"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPSbOoISWSY

This is good. His sister is all "hey, you were going faster than he was when you passed my house!"

Like, yes, in order to catch up to somebody, you have to travel faster than them. How does this person not realize cops are legally allowed to speed?! :psyduck:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Elkyrie posted:

cool gimmick bruh

it's FAROOQ, the only poster I've ever bothered ignoring. Even PCOS Bill is capable of decent discourse every now and then, FAROOQ is like a asberg-O-tron that takes the contrary position on anything anyone says without a single real thought.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

i cant stop laughing at this

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon
I like to watch amateur comedians do poorly and embarass themselves.

COME TO MY SEMINAR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34-n5n-Qq2k

Edit: Welp.

magikid has a new favorite as of 11:37 on May 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

magikid posted:

I like to watch amateur comedians do poorly and embarass themselves.

COME TO MY SEMINAR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34-n5n-Qq2k

Right off the jump first one is fake, sorry :(