Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

BrainMeats posted:

I started reading through the books not too long ago. Done with the short story collections and currently I'm on Blood of Elves. They're not amazing works of literature but they're fun if you enjoy the setting and want to see where all these characters came from. A little repetitive on some vocabulary but it gets the message across.

The short stories are scarce on details as they kind of rush through their stories and if I didn't have the games to put a picture in my mind of these people and places I'm not sure what I would have imagined. Geralt has white hair and a nasty smile and a sword on his back and that's about all he has for a long time. Blood of Elves is a proper novel so it's much better on taking the time to fill in details.

The main thing the Witcher series does well is A++ sarcasm every other line, I love it.
Speaking of details, is there any mod that changes W3 combat to be 90% pirouettes as it appears to be in the books?

ShakeZula posted:

Also the developers really know their audience. Of the 4 game clips you can watch on the marketplace page for the game, 3 of them feature naked Triss.

Wasn't there a Polish Playboy spread with Triss? Poles are crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

GrossMurpel posted:

The main thing the Witcher series does well is A++ sarcasm every other line, I love it.
Speaking of details, is there any mod that changes W3 combat to be 90% pirouettes as it appears to be in the books?

Wasn't there a Polish Playboy spread with Triss? Poles are crazy.

Yeah and those images were included as extras in the GOG version of the release of W2.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Vikar Jerome posted:

They get better, i found blood of elves to be the worst.

I liked sword of destiny and thought it to be the better of the two short story books tho. The main saga books felt more in line with witcher 2 and 3 than i was led to believe. I always thought they were like the last wish with high school morality tales that everyone used to fawn over both in and out of witcher 1.

You're in for a treat tho, there are alot of characters and relationships not even touched on in the games that were legit surprising for me and changed my perspective on alot of the choices in the games.

Blood of Elves was the first main novel, right? I almost gave up on the series after that. It's all world building and moving the chess pieces around, the overall plot of the series doesn't even start until the next one. Imagine Frodo finding the ring halfway through Two Towers. It's not poorly written there's just nothing that happens.

But yeah by the end I was all in. I mostly knew what would happen due to the games (and who isn't in them) but it was still a fun ride. Hoping the Netflix series can do them justice.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

GrossMurpel posted:

this is in the game already if you just only ever use Whirl from the sword skill tree

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Litany Unheard posted:

So at this point have more people read the books or played the games? I know his books are popular but I have no idea how large his readership actually is.

Also, are the English translations any good?

I'm currently plowing through Time of Contempt and it reads just fine.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

redbackground posted:

I'm currently plowing through Time of Contempt and it reads just fine.

BrainMeats posted:

I started reading through the books not too long ago. Done with the short story collections and currently I'm on Blood of Elves. They're not amazing works of literature but they're fun if you enjoy the setting and want to see where all these characters came from. A little repetitive on some vocabulary but it gets the message across.

The short stories are scarce on details as they kind of rush through their stories and if I didn't have the games to put a picture in my mind of these people and places I'm not sure what I would have imagined. Geralt has white hair and a nasty smile and a sword on his back and that's about all he has for a long time. Blood of Elves is a proper novel so it's much better on taking the time to fill in details.

Guess I'll dive right in, then. Always down for some good trashy fantasy.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Now if only that Gwent game was on Steam. Then I'd consider getting it.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Class Warcraft posted:

I have a free copy on PC if you want it.

Thanks, but I doubt my laptop could handle it. I'm a console gamer pretty much exclusively.

Plus I have an Xbox marketplace gift card that I was saving for Mass Effect dlc and, well....

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
Finally started playing Hearts of Stone.

Would play a whole game of Geralt and Vlodimir Get Drunk

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
Gwent is great. The recent gwent tourney is worth watching if you want to get a good idea of the game (vods on twitch). It has a lot less RNG due to larger hands and the 3 card mulligan. Ressurecting cards from the grave yard and interesting leader mechanics make it a fairly broad game in regards to strategy. But yes, it is a lot different to TW3 gwent.

Give it a go, play some northern realms and spam siege towers.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

One great thing about the Gwent game is that all the in-game card shops/crafting stores etc. are run by cave trolls in all their broken language glory from the games.

One thing that sucks is that while there's a lot of good music taken from/inspired by the games there are also some really awful tunes that sound like midi crimes against humanity.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Finally got around to beating B&W. Hooly poo poo, I didn't think it was possible to have better set piece moments than in the base game but it went and did it.

Fighting Detlaff is what all vampires should aspire to be. When he turns into a giant bat creature it's one if the few times I'm like 'oh holy gently caress' in real life. Then he proceeds to nearly one shot me with every hit. They couldn't have nailed the atmosphere/dread/anxiety any better if they tried.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Apparently The Witcher 3 sold more copies Q1 2017 than it it did in the same period last year.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-witcher-3-sold-better-in-q1-2017-than-same-per/1100-6450351/

I'd be surprised if they never make another Witcher game.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

TV dog Wishbone of PBS posted:

Finally started playing Hearts of Stone.

Would play a whole game of Geralt and Vlodimir Get Drunk

:yeah:

Palpek posted:

One great thing about the Gwent game is that all the in-game card shops/crafting stores etc. are run by cave trolls in all their broken language glory from the games.

I liked the stupid cave trolls in Witcher 3 but I do wish there were a couple of the somewhat smarter trolls from Witcher 2 as well.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

How do the shops work in Gwent standalone? If I only spend money on the base game am I going to be up against a bunch of whales who buy all the best cards?

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Hobo Clown posted:

How do the shops work in Gwent standalone? If I only spend money on the base game am I going to be up against a bunch of whales who buy all the best cards?

It's completely F2P so there's no up front "base game" purchase to make.

You can grind up cards pretty quickly by just getting daily rewards and if you want you can mill cards for crafting materials, so you could mill all of the cards from the other factions to make a decent deck for your preferred faction.

If you want to buy cards at some point it's about $1.50 to get a keg of five cards, cheaper if you buy the bigger bulk options (cheapest is about $1.16 per if you buy 60 kegs).

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Lurdiak posted:

:yeah:

I liked the stupid cave trolls in Witcher 3 but I do wish there were a couple of the somewhat smarter trolls from Witcher 2 as well.

Not that much smarter. More intelligible yes, but that river troll was a drunk.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Not that much smarter. More intelligible yes, but that river troll was a drunk.

He had a reason! When drunk, get headache, but no pain in brain.

They really struck me as simple rather than stupid, and they were charming because of it.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

https://twitter.com/cdprojektred/status/868134634478895104

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice
I really wouldn't recommend the GWENT game at all. Match making is terrible as a new player expect to be matched against experienced players with better cards. I'm not saying every once in a while but the majority of the games I played were like this.

Just dominated with no counter over and over again.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

axelord posted:

I really wouldn't recommend the GWENT game at all. Match making is terrible as a new player expect to be matched against experienced players with better cards. I'm not saying every once in a while but the majority of the games I played were like this.

Just dominated with no counter over and over again.

Give it a week or two. It will shake itself out as the people who have been playing closed beta get moved up in the ranks.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I'm doing Final Preparations now and man 2 pretty much had variations on jacket/slacks/boots, but 3 lets you get weird as hell with your look and i love it

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Not keeping up the birb aesthetic, 0/10.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Willie Tomg posted:

I'm doing Final Preparations now and man 2 pretty much had variations on jacket/slacks/boots, but 3 lets you get weird as hell with your look and i love it

For my next run of this game, I'm thinking of just turning god mode on and playing dress up without regard for how actually good the armor is.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Ainsley McTree posted:

For my next run of this game, I'm thinking of just turning god mode on and playing dress up without regard for how actually good the armor is.

Don't need god mode for this!

http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/780/

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Even better then!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Skwirl posted:

Apparently The Witcher 3 sold more copies Q1 2017 than it it did in the same period last year.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-witcher-3-sold-better-in-q1-2017-than-same-per/1100-6450351/

I'd be surprised if they never make another Witcher game.

'we own the ip outright, it's ridiculously popular, we make games... look, you work it out. think it through.'

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I also remember a quote a couple months back where it wasn't even really implied, they just straight up said "yeah there will be more Witcher"

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I also remember a quote a couple months back where it wasn't even really implied, they just straight up said "yeah there will be more Witcher"

Yeah, it would be asinine not to do it, likely after cyberpunk.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

that was what I was paraphrasing.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I just hope they never make a witcher MMO

....although....

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Yeah, it would be asinine not to do it, likely after cyberpunk.

I hope my grandkids enjoy it :gonk:

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

What they said was that Witcher 3 was the end of Geralts story. Never ruled out other games in the same universe.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
the next game is Metal Gear Thaler: Tactical gently caress Action.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I hope we're a Sorceress next game.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The Lone Badger posted:

Puke. Lambert. Lambert is who we should be.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Hearts of Stone: If you don't like the tone of the DLC, just wait five minutes!

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
What should I do with the huge pile of runestones? Add/waste them to my lovely low level weapons I'm replacing every other day? Sell them? Deconstruct them for materials?

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

that is actually a loving awesome idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I wonder if they'd use the blank slate presented by the end of the original trilogy and have a customizable character, one without the same complex backstory and deep ties to the in-game universe. Maybe the last witcher of the Manticore School or something, come north to investigate whatever the big mystery is?

Alternately, while we are done playing as Geralt, the rest of the games will be the adventures of Ravix of Fourhorn!