Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sic Semper Goon posted:

There's a reason why only the desperate and/or insane go into cooking.

Is it... is it love?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Jerry Cotton posted:

Is it... is it love?

If it is, they truly are barking mad.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Cowslips Warren posted:

Working on an rpg with a friend. We get the basic stuff down...and then when we actually have the game in play, she announces she wants to move past whatever campaign/plot point is happening because she's 'not in the mood for this right now.' Well, fair enough, but when you help me WRITE THE loving THING, why do you include XYZ poo poo, and then when the game is on with players, you decide you're not in the mood for a sidequest/major battle/anything in particular because you had some new idea about next week's play?

Everyone has off days, but gently caress it, if you're going to want to skip past half of the drat thing, what's the point? Especially poo poo she specifically wanted to do!

Is this a tabletop/d&d thing, and if so are you both DMing or something? It's kind of hard to grasp what's going on from your post.

Anyway, it sounds like she might be happier just writing the scenarios and not getting involved in playing them out. I've known plenty of people that get very excited and detailed about character creation, for instance, but then always flake on actually playing the game for whatever reason. I'd be shocked if the same thing doesn't happen regularly on the other side of the table.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Che Delilas posted:

Is this a tabletop/d&d thing, and if so are you both DMing or something? It's kind of hard to grasp what's going on from your post.

Anyway, it sounds like she might be happier just writing the scenarios and not getting involved in playing them out. I've known plenty of people that get very excited and detailed about character creation, for instance, but then always flake on actually playing the game for whatever reason. I'd be shocked if the same thing doesn't happen regularly on the other side of the table.

We're joint DMs. It works better that way so far...

It's just maddening. There were a few games she made up and they just went nowhere fast. When the main NPCs keep changing the reasons they do what they do, and it's not mind control, it's just the DM not planning ahead beyond "this sounds cool, right?" So now I make the bulk of them, with her input, and sometimes it's easier to compromise. IE, we had some plague game going, and my thought was, you know, people sure it's the end of times, we're gonna see a lot of cults and human sacrifice and poo poo. People desperate to survive. And she was more "nah, I don't see that happening. Maybe at first but it's been like six months and the plague has an incubation time of like a month in a person, and there's no way to tell you have it till you start acting rabid, so yeah, I think poo poo has calmed down."

Trying to explain, no, poo poo would be worse, just led to the doubling down of "NO I think everything would be fine!"

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

Cowslips Warren posted:

We're joint DMs. It works better that way so far...

It's just maddening. There were a few games she made up and they just went nowhere fast. When the main NPCs keep changing the reasons they do what they do, and it's not mind control, it's just the DM not planning ahead beyond "this sounds cool, right?" So now I make the bulk of them, with her input, and sometimes it's easier to compromise. IE, we had some plague game going, and my thought was, you know, people sure it's the end of times, we're gonna see a lot of cults and human sacrifice and poo poo. People desperate to survive. And she was more "nah, I don't see that happening. Maybe at first but it's been like six months and the plague has an incubation time of like a month in a person, and there's no way to tell you have it till you start acting rabid, so yeah, I think poo poo has calmed down."

Trying to explain, no, poo poo would be worse, just led to the doubling down of "NO I think everything would be fine!"

Nothing sparks a good evening of adventure like "everything is fine"

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

kreyla posted:

I was the sick child. Even threw up in a gift shop. My dad made me go even though I had stomach flu and bronchitis, because "we paid a lot for this trip and you're not just going to sleep in the hotel!"

Great family times.

A little thing that makes me angry is that I have a roughly 50% chance of coming down with a nasty, fever inducing cold or flu every time I use air travel. So half the time I go on vacation I'm "putting on a brave face" and wishing I could just lay in bed in the hotel.

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy
My mom and stepdad are visiting us, and they are smug know-it-alls which is super annoying. But my mother also has no tact whatsoever and it's really terrible.

We were at dinner with my in-laws and my mil was talking about how her father was just diagnosed with lung cancer. My mom turns to me and 'whispers' (loud enough that mil probably heard) "time to start making funeral arrangements". I'm like Jesus Christ, Mom, shut the gently caress up. She's like "what?? You and me both know it's probably hopeless". Omg. Just. Shut. Up. What the gently caress is wrong with people like this??

She is staying with us for two more days and I'm so annoyed already. Both her and my stepdad also keep just leaving the doors open. Like, they will leave to go to the store and will just not close the front door after them. It is both baffling and enfuriating.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

genetic_knockout posted:

My mom and stepdad are visiting us, and they are smug know-it-alls which is super annoying. But my mother also has no tact whatsoever and it's really terrible.

We were at dinner with my in-laws and my mil was talking about how her father was just diagnosed with lung cancer. My mom turns to me and 'whispers' (loud enough that mil probably heard) "time to start making funeral arrangements". I'm like Jesus Christ, Mom, shut the gently caress up. She's like "what?? You and me both know it's probably hopeless". Omg. Just. Shut. Up. What the gently caress is wrong with people like this??

She is staying with us for two more days and I'm so annoyed already. Both her and my stepdad also keep just leaving the doors open. Like, they will leave to go to the store and will just not close the front door after them. It is both baffling and enfuriating.

My parents, especially my dad, are tactless like this (although more toward cultural insensitivity than personal/health stuff) when traveling and it drives me nuts. Like when my dad visited germany he'd loudly talk about other people or the waiter/waitress in english assuming none of them spoke it (almost all of them did), and saying things like "don't they have anything here besides kraut food" etc.

I also get pissed when people, family or otherwise, seem baffled by my doors and windows. It's not hard, you just turn the handle and push/pull. Also with the more standard doors, it really irritates me when people slam doors. Are they not hearing themselves? Do they not realize how annoying it is to be woken up every time they use the bathroom at night because they can't handle the apparently difficult action of turning the handle as they close it instead of just yanking it shut?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Catberry posted:

Nothing sparks a good evening of adventure like "everything is fine"

The word "fine." poo poo you may as well break out the napalm at that point.

When people want to talk to you and expect you to go to them. Drop what you're doing and head over. Because they can't possibly COME TO YOU. Bonus points if it's something funny on Facebook while you're actually working.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Here's one that's come up a lot on SA in particular: "I really like [food]." If it's an unhealthy food, someone will immediately jump to the conclusion that this is all you ever eat, you disgusting pig. If it's a healthy food, someone will inform you that it's either actually unhealthy, not organic/local enough, or you've never had the real version and what you like is poo poo, probably because you're American.

If you eat a doughnut, ever, you obviously don't care about yourself. If you eat chicken, it's actually unsanitary (nevermind how you prep it) and terrible for you. Fruits are just sugar, don't eat those. Unless you're baking your own bread, you're just being lazy. And if you use bleached flour, you might as well start shoveling sugar packets down your maw. I recall one thread where a goon scoffed at the idea of feeding their kids vegetables.

It's doubly irritating because not only is it an attack of assumptions, but it smacks of elitism and first world privilege.

Yobgoblin
Mar 19, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Clapping Larry
When people bring their infants to the library or the movies.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Yobgoblin posted:

When people bring their infants to the library or the movies.

Also amusement parks like disney. People there are already idiots regarding walking without plowing into people, and the presence of a shitload of the tank-sized quadruple wide strollers makes it hell on earth. Your precious princess 1 year old isn't going to remember the trip anyway, leave her with a babysitter.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

genetic_knockout posted:

Why not buy a door pump for your front door? That way you'll never have to wonder if you remembered to close the door either!

(This was a seriouspost by the way. It won't help you with your terrible relatives but still a nice thing to have in my opinion.)

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Why not buy a door pump for your front door? That way you'll never have to wonder if you remembered to close the door either!

(This was a seriouspost by the way. It won't help you with your terrible relatives but still a nice thing to have in my opinion.)

Why over-engineer a solution when simply not having them around again fixes the problem in a much more satisfying way.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Bogan King posted:

Why over-engineer a solution when simply not having them around again fixes the problem in a much more satisfying way.

Set the pump strong enough so they can't get in :colbert:

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Also amusement parks like disney. People there are already idiots regarding walking without plowing into people, and the presence of a shitload of the tank-sized quadruple wide strollers makes it hell on earth. Your precious princess 1 year old isn't going to remember the trip anyway, leave her with a babysitter.

Eh that's more for the parents than the kid. The baby's still going to be reacting to things and it'll be a nice memory/picture opportunity for the future

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Aesop Poprock posted:

Eh that's more for the parents than the kid. The baby's still going to be reacting to things and it'll be a nice memory/picture opportunity for the future

They should at least be more considerate when plowing their giant tank through crowds though. Just because you have a baby does not give you absolute right of way.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Cowslips Warren posted:

When people want to talk to you and expect you to go to them. Drop what you're doing and head over. Because they can't possibly COME TO YOU. Bonus points if it's something funny on Facebook while you're actually working.

My dad does this all the loving time and it's always something he saw on Facebook. Sometimes it's just a picture, sometimes it's a short video, other times it's a 5 minute video of some random poo poo. It drives me nuts.

Yobgoblin
Mar 19, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Clapping Larry

I hardly ever went to amusement parks. When I did I hardly found that to be an issue. I guess your parks were more crowded than mine.

Still sucks watching a suspenseful part of a movie where its all quiet and then you hear: "Daddy, I have to go peepee".

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

Yobgoblin posted:

I hardly ever went to amusement parks. When I did I hardly found that to be an issue. I guess your parks were more crowded than mine.

Still sucks watching a suspenseful part of a movie where its all quiet and then you hear: "Daddy, I have to go peepee".

Why do you keep taking me to scary movies then Daddy? You know I don't like them.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

cinni posted:

People who, instead of coming to a complete stop behind a car at a red light, slow down early so they can keep dawdling forward very very slowly, creeping and creeping until they are finally blocked by the object in front of them. Just stop and wait like a normal person, you aren't going to be able to take off more quickly anyway because the stopped car in front has to begin movement and such.

This, but when you're a passenger. Mainly because I'm exceptionally prone to carsickness and nothing sets it off more than moving really slowly, like under 5mph. Either stop or get going, or you're going to be cleaning up my barf.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

They should at least be more considerate when plowing their giant tank through crowds though. Just because you have a baby does not give you absolute right of way.

Lies! Once you produce a new person, everyone must give you extra care and admire your tiger stripes.

I loving hate the term tiger stripes.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Cowslips Warren posted:

Lies! Once you produce a new person, everyone must give you extra care and admire your tiger stripes.

I loving hate the term tiger stripes.

The... cryovolcanic rivers on Enceladus? :confused:

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Starch masks

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
This lady across the back alley has called her kids name like 100 times in the last 10 minutes, just "Aidan Aidan Aidan Aidan" and on and on and on. She's trying to get his attention for a picture.

And I'm like holy lord woman no he's like 6 months old he doesn't have object permanence yet let alone name recognition! Aidan is a concept that not exist for him yet!

It's very aggravating.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Antioch posted:

This lady across the back alley has called her kids name like 100 times in the last 10 minutes, just "Aidan Aidan Aidan Aidan" and on and on and on. She's trying to get his attention for a picture.

And I'm like holy lord woman no he's like 6 months old he doesn't have object permanence yet let alone name recognition! Aidan is a concept that not exist for him yet!

It's very aggravating.

People who name their children Aiden, or anything that rhymes with it, make me unreasonably angry.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Master Twig posted:

People who name their children Aiden, or anything that rhymes with it, make me unreasonably angry.

What, even Beybladen?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Master Twig posted:

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

when people ask me about my arm scars while I'm just trying to live my life and buy food or go into my apartment! a lot of people will never see self harm scars like I have, so I know I look weird as gently caress, but I wanna wear t-shirts and tank tops without having to deal without uncomfortable questions about stuff that isn't any of their business to begin with

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

The Snoo posted:

when people ask me about my arm scars while I'm just trying to live my life and buy food or go into my apartment! a lot of people will never see self harm scars like I have, so I know I look weird as gently caress, but I wanna wear t-shirts and tank tops without having to deal without uncomfortable questions about stuff that isn't any of their business to begin with

My arms are covered with nasty scars. They almost always started out as kitten/cat scratches or mosquito bites, but I tend to tear the scab off when I'm asleep, or when I'm awake and not paying attention. I scar badly. So far the easy excuse is the kittens/I foster cats, and as long as I'm not around a bunch of other fosters who don't scar badly, people seem okay with it. I really just want to tattoo over the fucker but I don't know if that's possible.

The suck part is, the scars I got from working as a zookeeper, actual baby tiger slash marks across the backs of my calves, faded within a year.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Antioch posted:

It's very aggravating.

Where I used to live there was a woman a few doors down who would scream at her kids all drat evening from like 5pm until 10-11. The kids did not give the slightest poo poo because screaming everything at the top of her voice was Just What Mummy Does but hearing her annoyed the poo poo out of us. Truly terrible parenting.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

My arms are covered with nasty scars. They almost always started out as kitten/cat scratches or mosquito bites, but I tend to tear the scab off when I'm asleep, or when I'm awake and not paying attention. I scar badly. So far the easy excuse is the kittens/I foster cats, and as long as I'm not around a bunch of other fosters who don't scar badly, people seem okay with it. I really just want to tattoo over the fucker but I don't know if that's possible.

The suck part is, the scars I got from working as a zookeeper, actual baby tiger slash marks across the backs of my calves, faded within a year.

Just say the ones on your arms were from a baby tiger too. It's not technically lying since they count as kittens in my opinion.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Corrode posted:

Where I used to live there was a woman a few doors down who would scream at her kids all drat evening from like 5pm until 10-11. The kids did not give the slightest poo poo because screaming everything at the top of her voice was Just What Mummy Does but hearing her annoyed the poo poo out of us. Truly terrible parenting.

My experience has been that the loudest parents are usually the laziest. It goes beyond "Just What Mommy Does" and right into "no matter how many times she threatens things she never does so we can get away with literally everything." Then mom blames the children for being shits because she tries to control them but they refuse to listen!

They refuse to listen because they know there are zero actual repercussions for whatever they do. Then they grow up to be awful people who keep acting like that. Needless to say many of them end up in jail.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

My sister and her husband decided going to Disney World when my niece was a month old (and my nephew about three) was a great idea. They went back when the kids were older and could remember, which made more sense.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

"Re-tweets are not endorsements"

gently caress off, don't loving retweet it then.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
I can't believe goons are complaining about bringing children to Disney world...

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ArtIsResistance posted:

I can't believe goons are complaining about bringing children to Disney world...

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

ArtIsResistance posted:

There is a difference between a 3 month old and a 3 year old. Of course even toddlers need naps, and get stupid cranky when overexcited, which happens at theme parks.

Would you take a three year old to a movie theater, even for a Pixar movie? I wouldn't. I remember doing a trial run with my niece: I figured if she could sit and watch a movie at home without acting like a normal toddler, be safe to take her to a real theater. She lasted about 20 minutes before she had to pee.

Obnoxious thing: having a loving Comicon in late May/June. WTF Phoenix! Who arranges that poo poo, when it's 100* outside and likely close to that inside the buildings with all the body heat? I really would like to go, but the temperature always puts me off.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Cowslips Warren posted:

There is a difference between a 3 month old and a 3 year old. Of course even toddlers need naps, and get stupid cranky when overexcited, which happens at theme parks.

Yeah, there is plenty of stuff at disney parks for toddlers to actually do at least. For the really young ones all they do is get carted around (and into the back of my feet) in giant strollers going from one photo opportunity only their parents care about to the next.

Like I think I said, the problem isn't that they are there, it is the fact that their parents are often entirely inconsiderate of other people and if they bash into you with their stroller it's suddenly your fault for not giving them a 10 ft+ berth because ~baby on board~.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ToxicSlurpee posted:

They refuse to listen because they know there are zero actual repercussions for whatever they do. Then they grow up to be awful people who keep acting like that. Needless to say many of them end up in government.

• Locked thread