Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ineptitude posted:

That being said, the PVE in this game is actually very fun. It is quite unique as far as MMOs go in that it is a twitchy combo based button masher more similar to Street Fighter the Adventure Game than e.g. WoW or FFXIV. That combined with all the other unique features make this for a fairly good PVE MMO. Just don't play it with the intention of PVPing.

Interesting. I was actually not looking to go into this as a PvP MMO, so the fact that it's pretty bad doesn't disappoint me. The combat definitely looks fun. Someone else said there aren't any dungeons or anything, so is most of the PvE out in the open world, fighting big monsters and stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColdIronsBound
Nov 4, 2008
Steam positive reviews constantly alluding to the game being a grind fest, and also not referencing the laughably bad translation seems strange,.

Surely I'm not alone in feeling the levelling is incredibly fast, especially on the 2x XP servers, and even more so with the daily XP bonuses. Also feels as though there is less of a grind as the combat is actually fun (combos, character movement etc).

The translation is incredible, trying to make sense of what's happening in the story will cause most players to question their own understanding of English, funnily enough it seems that there is an interesting story buried underneath what we have been given, but currently it's mostly incomprehensible.

Game entirely lacks P2W features as well, however it clearly subsidises the entry price behind a few mandatory purchases (pets, inventory etc) and also allows cash shop items to be purchased on the marketplace.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ColdIronsBound posted:

Surely I'm not alone in feeling the levelling is incredibly fast, especially on the 2x XP servers, and even more so with the daily XP bonuses. Also feels as though there is less of a grind as the combat is actually fun (combos, character movement etc).

The game has servers with different rule sets like that? Kind of cool, actually--if players want a longer grind they can play on a server with less XP.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

New players or players who haven't logged in for 30 days can access the Olvia channels, which give the weekend 200% bonus 24/7. Limited time bonus and you can swap to the other channels freely for world bosses/guild stuff/events. But yeah, it's a grind fest at 57+ but those levels aren't important to grind unless you are trying to be a pvp star, otherwise take it at your own pace.

Reacon
Feb 17, 2013

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.
How is the steam integration?

Can I buy the game to put it in my library, then give the key to somebody else and simply log onto my old account?

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Harrow posted:

Interesting. I was actually not looking to go into this as a PvP MMO, so the fact that it's pretty bad doesn't disappoint me. The combat definitely looks fun. Someone else said there aren't any dungeons or anything, so is most of the PvE out in the open world, fighting big monsters and stuff?

The only "instancing" is that you can go to a different channel (e.g. Olvia 1-4, Balenos 1-4) but other than that the entire game area is accessible by anyone at any time (character level permitting!)

ColdIronsBound posted:

Game entirely lacks P2W features as well, however it clearly subsidises the entry price behind a few mandatory purchases (pets, inventory etc) and also allows cash shop items to be purchased on the marketplace.

The leveling is very fast until 50, with like almost getting 1% per enemy, which is drastically reduced when hitting 50. By 53 you will get 0,1% of a level per pack of enemies, and by 56 you will get 0,01% per pack. By pack i mean 6-8 enemies that you round up to use AOE skills on. 8 is the maximum number of enemies that can be engaged in combat with you. (you can use this tactically to peel specific enemies out of packs with ranged skills)

It is possible to buy pearl items and put on the TP, but you are limited to 5 per week and none of them sell for much more than 20m, meaning you can get around 100m silver per week from p2w'ing. Seeing as you can get a full set of DUO non-boss gear in a month with login rewards and to progress further past this requires several hundreds of millions per item slot, the game can hardly be called P2W.

There are a lot of QoL features you can pay cash for though, 4 pets to Tier 4 will cost you like $200 or so, then you have weight limit increasers, inventory slot increasers, horse whistle, outfits, etc.

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 20:18 on May 25, 2017

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Reacon posted:

How is the steam integration?

Can I buy the game to put it in my library, then give the key to somebody else and simply log onto my old account?

Good question, I'd like to know this as well.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
You can only play the Steam version with a newly created account, made through the Steam version.

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php?threads/steam-release-account-transfer.3922/#post-37981

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
I'm curious what the impact to the marketplace will be with the surge of new players. What have you guys noticed?

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

The Steam players get their own Olvia servers to play on, so not sure how much impact you will see just yet in the world population. Probably a great time to be an armor crafter though.

HotBobaloo
Jun 19, 2002
What mainhand/offhand should I be using for striker? I'm guessing rosar, and leather vambrace? Leather looks like it has the same stats of a Vangertz shield.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

If you buy the base version and decide you like it, can you buy an item package off steam after the fact?

teknologik
Jul 24, 2006

Write it, cut it,
paste it, save it

Night Blade posted:

If you buy the base version and decide you like it, can you buy an item package off steam after the fact?

wondering this as well. also, i asked about the guild earlier but didnt see a answer. are we active in this game?

J
Jun 10, 2001

HotBobaloo posted:

What mainhand/offhand should I be using for striker? I'm guessing rosar, and leather vambrace? Leather looks like it has the same stats of a Vangertz shield.

Rosar mainhand is a good starter, but you might have difficulty finding enough of them on the market for a little while to enhance it up very far, at least until the new class fever wears off. And definitely use the leather vambrace. There is a lot of debate among the community about offhands right now, some people think the vangertz-equivalent offhands (vangertz, saiyer, leather vambrace, the ones that have both accuracy and evasion, not every class has one of these), are even better than boss offhands (kutum/nouver). Regardless of who's right, the difference either way is going to be so small that the green offhands are super cost effective. Note that you can buy those offhands from an NPC in velia named Alfredo, although it requires amity to do so. Once you have 500 amity you can buy an offhand which costs you 200 amity. His amity game is really easy, though. For anyone who isn't familiar with the amity game (the minigame that appears when you click "conversation" with an npc), don't even try to make sense of it. Just go to bdotools.com and find your NPC in there and input the relevant information and do what that tool tells you to do. The tutorial quest for the amity game is also really loving rude because it sends you to an NPC who hates everything and has no interests. Maybe they've changed that since I last did it but I doubt it.

fletcher posted:

I'm curious what the impact to the marketplace will be with the surge of new players. What have you guys noticed?

Grunil sells like crazy every time a new class comes out, but new class + steam release and it is selling even faster than normal and probably will for a longer period. All manner of crystals are selling like crazy, people need SOMEthing to socket in their gear slots. Memory fragments to repair high end gear are going to very hard to buy on the market probably from now on. They have been sold out permanently on EU for a long time and probably will stay that way on NA now too.

teknologik posted:

wondering this as well. also, i asked about the guild earlier but didnt see a answer. are we active in this game?

I'm not in the goon guild but a few pages back when someone else asked I think there is a discord you can hop on to bug someone for an invite but I can't seem to find the post. Goon activity in this game has been really low for quite some time, the steam release is bringing more traffic to this thread than it's seen in a while. And the steam shop listing is weird, it does have the item packages listed as separate DLCs so it would seem you could buy one after the fact.....but with this game, who fuckin knows. I'd probably wait and check reddit or the steam forums and see if anyone can actually confirm if it works.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Schubalts posted:

You can only play the Steam version with a newly created account, made through the Steam version.

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php?threads/steam-release-account-transfer.3922/#post-37981

Yeah, I had an account I'd made to download the character generator, I think. I never played or owned the game. I figured "might as well check it out" when I saw the steam sale, but that meant I had to contact support and have them delete my old account so I could re-add a steam-enabled account with my email address. Mildly annoying, but at least the support was prompt.

Normally I'd just use "mycoolemail+bdo@gmail.com" and just change the comment bit for a secondary account, but their email validator is annoyingly overstrict and rejects emails with +s in them (even though that's totally valid according to RFC 5322 :qq:).

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

Got the game on steam today and got a tamer to 27 and have some questions:

When (if I even should) do any sort of crafting?

There's some weapons/armor I find and try to vendor them there's some on the market for a higher price, but they don't seem like very good weapons, should I vendor them still?

I'm saving black stones, should I ever upgrade my weapons or wait until my ascended (if they even use the stuff I'm finding?)

I have around 1.5m silver, anything I should buy or save as much as possible for something in the future?

Lastly anything I should know or do while leveling?

Thanks in advance for any info!

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
Is the late game still a never ending grind fest where the winner of PvP battles is largely determined by who has the biggest +1 on their gear?

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Harrow posted:

The game has servers with different rule sets like that? Kind of cool, actually--if players want a longer grind they can play on a server with less XP.

The Olvia channels, only available to new players or returning player for 30 days, offer double xp. There are no other channels with special rules like this.

stringball posted:

Got the game on steam today and got a tamer to 27 and have some questions:

When (if I even should) do any sort of crafting?

The crafting "setup" is radically different in BDO than most games. To craft here you need to have a lot of contribution points and workers, then buy houses (with these CP) in cities. The houses offer various benefits, such as increased warehouse storage, or more lodging for your workers, or certain workshops.
The workshops is what crafts gear for you.
To craft gear you assign one of your workers to this workshop and make them craft the item you want. This process can take a couple of hours. You also need a lot of ingredients, many of which are processed several times. E.g. to get Copper Ingots you need to buy or use your workers to mine copper ore, then process this to an intermediary product then further process this to Copper ingots. This is true for several of the components you need for each piece of gear you can craft.
You can either buy the processed products directly on the TP, or make them yourself.
Due to the way life skills (crafting) work in this game, any processing or crafting or such action you do will lose you money until the crafting skill is high enough level to give you procs, bonus materials when you craft.

If you want to craft stuff and not have it be a loss of money over just buying it on the TP you need to dedicate a lot of time to reading or watching guides, grind contribution points, set up your worker empire, make alts to get energy to roll for higher skill workers, set up your housing empire with the appropriate workshops, nodes to extract resources from with your workers, etc.

Players that are mainly interested in combat usually opt to make their afk money through afk fishing or training/breeding horses. These activities won't earn you as much money as a good crafting empire but they require very little setup time.

stringball posted:

There's some weapons/armor I find and try to vendor them there's some on the market for a higher price, but they don't seem like very good weapons, should I vendor them still?

Different items gain different amount of AP or DP when they are enchanted. At +0 some items will have a higher base AP/DP, but fall behind when they are +15.
A good indication on what will sell are items that have very close MAX and MIN silver prices, items that there are few of on the TP, etc.

stringball posted:

I'm saving black stones, should I ever upgrade my weapons or wait until my ascended (if they even use the stuff I'm finding?)

Never enchant your gear, always buy the items at an enchant level you want from the TP.
There are a few exceptions to this rule, such as very popular items that rarely if ever make it to the TP with high enchant levels.
For now, as a newbie, do not bother with enchanting stuff.

stringball posted:

I have around 1.5m silver, anything I should buy or save as much as possible for something in the future?
Feel free to sell a few of your black armor or weapon stones to get enough money for this. Do not sell memory fragments or hard/sharp black crystals

Save up for a green +15 mainhand weapon. These will cost you around 17 million and, depending on your class, last you to 53-55ish.

stringball posted:

Lastly anything I should know or do while leveling?

Thanks in advance for any info!

The Olvia channels with increased experience rate is a honey trap. Even without 200% xp you level to the 50s really fast. You do not need levels in this game, you need money. If you level too fast you will just hit a wall when you are far undergeared for the areas you need to go to level in. Focus on exploring as much as possible, talk to all the NPCs that have a ? on the minimap to unlock the knowledge from them to increase your energy. Every time you fight a new enemy and you don't see their HP go down when you hit them, keep killing those enemies until you unlock the knowledge for even more energy. Press h, go to ecology, and see which enemies still have ?????? on them in the knowledge menu then try to find those enemies to get the knowledge.
Do all the quests you come across to get contribution points, you can never have enough of those.

Press F3, go to the loyalty section of the shop and buy the character slot for 1 loyalty point.
Fill every character slot with alts and play them until you get past the quest to visit Edan in the stone chamber (this takes ~10 minutes with some practice) You want to have these alts so their gain energy while they are offline.
Level a striker to level 45 to get all the easy event rewards.
Level all your alts to 50, doing all the combat quest on the way, to get a decent amount of contribution points and get familiar with the game. feel free to make all these alts witches or wizards, and park them at the boss spots. When a boss spawns (not in Olvia channels) you can log on the appropriate alt and shoot the boss and maybe get amazing gear.

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 08:50 on May 26, 2017

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

SweetBro posted:

Is the late game still a never ending grind fest where the winner of PvP battles is largely determined by who has the biggest +1 on their gear?

Yes, this is a korea game after all

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
Welp i took the plunge. I was enticed by the idea that i can throw my enemies as a berserker or wield a buster cannon. That and maybe make my own medieval trading empire.

God help me, im addicted to grind.

Blacula
Dec 22, 2008

Once you have full access to the game you cannot change your account type/package.

As much as I wanted to give them $30, they simply won't let me.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Oh neat this is on steam now, can I use my existing account through Steam or do I need to rebuy?

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***

Drythe posted:

Oh neat this is on steam now, can I use my existing account through Steam or do I need to rebuy?

You have to make a new account for steam versions.

IBentMyWookie
Apr 8, 2003
Coming back after long absence. Got a 53 ranger that I've forgotten how to play but remember I quit because potting and repairs just took too much time/money. I had some mana return crystals but they still didn't obviate the need to repot.

Is there a class that requires minimal outlay to just grind? I was thinking wizard but the cast times really take me out of the action. What's second best? And are the new classes decent farmers? I also got a 50 musa and 50 kunoichi but dont know how well they farm.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Dark knight is supposed to be really good at farming. There are a couple people in the guild who play dk so they'd be able to answer better, but I did 1-55 and it seemed fine, maybe even better than 1-55 on a witch/wizard just because of its dashes

Hi
Oct 10, 2003

:wrong: :coffeepal:

J posted:

Rosar mainhand is a good starter, but you might have difficulty finding enough of them on the market for a little while to enhance it up very far, at least until the new class fever wears off. And definitely use the leather vambrace. There is a lot of debate among the community about offhands right now, some people think the vangertz-equivalent offhands (vangertz, saiyer, leather vambrace, the ones that have both accuracy and evasion, not every class has one of these), are even better than boss offhands (kutum/nouver). Regardless of who's right, the difference either way is going to be so small that the green offhands are super cost effective

Why Rosar mainhand and anything not Rosar offhand? I thought you needed both pieces of Rosar to get the 10% damage ignore set bonus?

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Anyone post the discord?

If its in the OP I'm apparently blind and retarded.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
It appears to be https://discord.gg/tXJYW48

J
Jun 10, 2001

Hi posted:

Why Rosar mainhand and anything not Rosar offhand? I thought you needed both pieces of Rosar to get the 10% damage ignore set bonus?

The 10% ignore resistance stat from the set bonus is more of a pvp stat. It doesn't add damage, it just reduces your opponents resistance to CC abilities. As far as I know that isn't a thing in pve at all, but even if it is, it is minor. Even aside from that, rosar offhands are pure evasion based, whereas the vangertz shield, saiyer knot, leather vambrace, etc give both accuracy and evasion, albeit a little bit less evasion than the rosar. But that's fine, accuracy is very good in both pve and pvp.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Rosar mainhand is recommended because it has the highest AP of green tier weapons that have 2 crystal slots. The offhand isn't recommended because you will break the set bonus when you upgrade to kzarka/liverto. It doesn't have the AP of the pure ap off-hands, and it just isn't as good as the acc/evasion off-hands which don't lose a set bonus when upgrading the mainhand.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

I decided to log in after not playing for like a year and try the new monk guy class. Apparently I have like 20 pages of millions and millions of coins for some housing award? Like 700 million or something across all these mails. What the gently caress is all this?

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

You get paid daily money based on your account progress, the upper right of the char info screen shows your score and breaks it down.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Timesink mmo buying time : Has the question : "Those two addon packs on steam, are they any use?" been asked one billion times already? what were the first few answers aside from "reed dat thred" ?

Because I was grossly amused by the character developer. I think I might grab this from steem

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

staberind posted:

Timesink mmo buying time : Has the question : "Those two addon packs on steam, are they any use?" been asked one billion times already? what were the first few answers aside from "reed dat thred" ?

Because I was grossly amused by the character developer. I think I might grab this from steem

If you can afford the most expensive bundle (explorers? comes with 2 VP, a pet, inventory expansion, Tier 5 horse, horse whistle, 2 char expansion), that is by far the best value especially at $27. For $20 over the base game, you get a $10 pet, 2 $15 pseudo subscriptions, a $15 inventory expansion, a serviceable horse, and a $5 convenience item. Of those, if you play the game for any decent time, you will definitely want the pet and inventory. Note that inventory is bound to character

If you want to be super cheap and don't mind not having it on steam, I'll buy you the base game if you'll get to level 30 because it gives me a pet.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

gwrtheyrn posted:

If you can afford the most expensive bundle (explorers? comes with 2 VP, a pet, inventory expansion, Tier 5 horse, horse whistle, 2 char expansion), that is by far the best value especially at $27. For $20 over the base game, you get a $10 pet, 2 $15 pseudo subscriptions, a $15 inventory expansion, a serviceable horse, and a $5 convenience item. Of those, if you play the game for any decent time, you will definitely want the pet and inventory. Note that inventory is bound to character

If you want to be super cheap and don't mind not having it on steam, I'll buy you the base game if you'll get to level 30 because it gives me a pet.

I just looked at prices and got the best deal : explorers
I tried the f2p weekend or whatever months ago mainly to make hideous "pls kill me nao" freaks with the character maker, and rummaged around in the game a bit, but it should make a good comparison for me to test my old rig [i7, rog formula]
against my new one, [i7 7700, z170 stinger by evga], when its a bit less pricy i will probably get the IX formula.

ReWinter
Nov 23, 2008

Perpetually Perturbed
I grabbed this from the Steam sale and it seems mostly incomprehensible but with potentially fun combat.

I guess my question is when things start taking more than a couple hits to kill? I'm level 15 and I haven't managed to find any individual enemy so far that actually fights back. I think I have only taken damage a couple times, from getting in the middle of groups. I'm mostly just interested in the PvE combat here - how deep in do I need to get before there's a supply of things which could let me actually play around with the combo systems, have to dodge things, etc?

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
Just picked this up off of steam, which server do goons play on?

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I don't pretend to understand how the server stuff works but the guild is on Serendia 4 according to the MOTD. Also I don't think regular accounts can join the Steam servers so that's something to keep in mind, but you can server change every so often from the disconnect interface.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 14:30 on May 28, 2017

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe

ReWinter posted:

I grabbed this from the Steam sale and it seems mostly incomprehensible but with potentially fun combat.

I guess my question is when things start taking more than a couple hits to kill? I'm level 15 and I haven't managed to find any individual enemy so far that actually fights back. I think I have only taken damage a couple times, from getting in the middle of groups. I'm mostly just interested in the PvE combat here - how deep in do I need to get before there's a supply of things which could let me actually play around with the combo systems, have to dodge things, etc?

I'm getting mobs with a little more bite at around lvl 30 bit they still aren't much of a threat. Not sure how it is at higher levels. I did get my rear end handed to me by bandits when I was trying to transport some stuff for a trade mission so I think they do exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hi
Oct 10, 2003

:wrong: :coffeepal:

ReWinter posted:

It depends on your gear level.

Now a days they rain loot down on you in events and its just much more accessible on the market place as the games matured. Back when it was first released at 51 I remember bringing 300-400 health potions at a time to go exp at helms on my warrior. Now my warrior goes to bashim (a higher level spawn) and doesnt bring any potions. at low levels even one or two decent items will make the npcs completely trivial. Difficulty will ramp up as you level, but if youre in an exp (growth) channel and not specifically grinding to get to 56 as quick as possible chances are youre also fighting stuff you grossly outlevel.

I think the general rule of thumb is for ideal exping in pve you should be killing packs of monsters in one rotation, which at 15 you probably dont even have a rotation yet but it should take more then one or two hits...

It definitely gets harder, but how hard it gets is completely up to the gear youre wearing the spawns you choose to fight at. Its just a case of powercreep and events giving out items that make the early game completely trivial. That support set that gets handed out every once in a while, a belt neck two rings and two earings and has a 4 piece bonus of 5ap 6 piece is 10 ap is like unbelievably powerful compared to how the base game is balanced.