Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Grundulum posted:

Grinding up the Arcane Lava stones to trait Elemaugrim (I needed 15 :lol:) took me above level 1000. Turns out leveling up beyond that nets you an event key and some glory, instead of new mastery.

Interesting. I had no idea. I have about 100 levels to go still.

Also Ragnagord is a solid red troop that gets overlooked. He has Fast, so you can potentially blow up the whole board after one turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blacula
Dec 22, 2008

Bandire posted:

Gold keys are commons and rares.
Glory keys can pull any troop rare or higher, but odds are bad for the rarer stuff.
Gem keys are ultra rare and up.
Event keys are ultra rare and up with nearly everything being from that week's event kingdom.
Guild keys are explained in the seals tab.
VIP keys are epics and up.

Newly added event troops don't hit the key pools for about a month.

Keys also give trait stones of rarity similar to how the troop rarity scales.

And when a new mythic is released that's the only mythic you can draw for that first week.

Combined with this recent post on guild chests...

Grundulum posted:

The "common" troops are guild guardians. They drop from all chest levels at roughly 50% chance. This continues until all six guardians are mythic rarity with four copies, at which point they are all six removed from the drop tables.

...covers it all. Good info for the next OP.

I forgot to save the post which detailed when is a good time to spend the various chest keys that someone wrote up whenever the last kingdom came out... anyone able to quote it? Since hearing about the next kingdom this summer I figured I might as well start stockpiling.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

We probably could use a new thread from someone that still plays, but I'm way too lazy to do it.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
That's the goon way.

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine
Any goons have space? I started like a month ago to play something on my commute and still having fun. I picked up a open rando guild which is ok but I just found this thread.

bagina
Jul 21, 2003

Oh shi...

HUMAN FISH posted:

Any goons have space? I started like a month ago to play something on my commute and still having fun. I picked up a open rando guild which is ok but I just found this thread.
There's room in Gem Blossoms. What's your invite ID?

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine

bagina posted:

There's room in Gem Blossoms. What's your invite ID?

OLMI

Was just waiting to leave the guild so I wouldn't get hosed tomorrow

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

HUMAN FISH posted:

OLMI

Was just waiting to leave the guild so I wouldn't get hosed tomorrow

Invite sent.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Jesus the Silverglade quests are the stupidest things ever.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
What's a good speed running team for the story missions, it's super tedious with my normal guild wars team

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'm currently using Celestasia, Dragontaur, Dragon Soul, Justice. Lots of churn and explosions to keep things fast unless its a really really bad board

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Hey I actually found a team I sort of like:

Warlock Hero with Scythe
Warg
Giant Spider
Draconian Monk

At the very least it's making leveling up easier. But now that I'm sitting on 420 gems, and already have the Dragon Armor, I'm heavily considering getting the Celestial Armor. If not, then what should I be spending my gems on?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

norp posted:

What's a good speed running team for the story missions, it's super tedious with my normal guild wars team

scale guard
naga queen
scale guard
scale guard

otherwise

that wolf druid x 3 valk as a generator maybe

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Buying Celestial Armor isn't a bad idea. It's nice to have if you are farming souls, and a 500 gem one time purchase isn't that much in the grand scheme of things.

I haven't used mine in probably a year though. Once you have your main troops leveled and other good and potentially useful troops leveled, souls become less of a priority. It does take a really long time to run out of things to spend souls on, but you hit that point eventually.

Seconding triple Druid Valk team as a good early speed run team. Druid needs its Fast trait to take full advantage though.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
How the gently caress do you even get 3 Valkyries that fast

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Morter posted:

How the gently caress do you even get 3 Valkyries that fast

Its three druids and one Valkyrie. Traited druid starts with half mana, and everything has water spirit. One blue match should fill a druid the rest of the way, and a Valk cast would fill them all.

Druid does a lot of damage per cast and is a great early troop.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Bandire posted:

Its three druids and one Valkyrie. Traited druid starts with half mana, and everything has water spirit. One blue match should fill a druid the rest of the way, and a Valk cast would fill them all.

Druid does a lot of damage per cast and is a great early troop.

Yeah this team can be stupid fast.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Thanks, I'll try dumping some souls into those teams. I had enough stones to trait druid and scale guard.
They are a bit weak without levelling it seems (also I'm short a wolf)

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
:siren: Major change just went through this morning. :siren: One troop defenses no longer exist. Instead, if a player has a defense team with less than four units, a different team from their list of 20 is chosen at random. However, the team score is not updated. So your 5,400-point opponent might be someone in the mid game, or it might be an endgame player whose single Elspeth has now been replaced by Psion***/Famine***/Death***/Famine***. Scout before every match until this all settles out!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I dont understand what the point of the one troop teams are, particularly with suiciders. Are they just feeding you kills?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
The opponents you (used to) get are influenced by the team score of your defense team. Late game players with 9000+ max team scores see a lot of the current meta: Famine(s), devours, or death mark. There is extremely little variety, and a whole lot of frustration. By setting a single troop late game players lower their team score and get a greater variety of opponents. The suiciders are/were a concession to opposing players, making the matches even easier.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

So if they clear out all their teams and fill them with low/untraited troops, they should get similar opponents?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
They don't fill a team at random with troops the defender has. They choose one of the other 19 teams that player has. You may wind up playing against their maximum-griefing Guild Wars defense team since it was drawn at random after the PVP system rejected the single Elspeth.

ninguno
Jan 17, 2011
The one troop teams also got a lot more revenge matches i imagine.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

So this weeks glory arcane, low priority since its only a single color and is only used for low tier troops?

Oh sorcerer hero traits. Hmmmmmm.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 13:48 on May 29, 2017

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Yeah you won't need a ton. Commons only take a few. Guardians, single color hero classes, and the guild wars reward troops will be the only troops that use a significant amount of single color Arcanes.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

I bought 5 glory packs, just for the new troop and gold. Saving the majority of my glory for arcane stones to trait out Famine and Draakulis. I'd trait out the hero if it didn't require so many runic stones. I don't think I've used my hero in almost 400 levels.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

There are some hero classes that have useful traits and gimmicks. Deathknight is pretty good for a jerk defense team. Mechanist is really good for an all mech team. There are a few others as well.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
Just started playing... What exactly should I be doing and saving for starting out?

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

Munkaboo posted:

Just started playing... What exactly should I be doing and saving for starting out?

Post the invite code from your settings screen so you can get into a guild. That'll help you out the most right now, because you'll get the benefit of everyone else completing guild tasks.

Starting out, a good team strategy is to find your best damage dealers, something to feed it mana, and maybe something to either buff it or protect it. That's going to depend mostly on what you've collected so far. It's important to have decent color coverage, otherwise the second half of your team is going to do nothing because they never have the mana to cast.

Here's my swing at something to put in a new first post for newbies:

What to Spend

Gold: Your first priority is to unlock all the kingdoms, and raise them all to level 5 or 6. That will give you better chances with the tributes rolling in, the rewards you collect from your home kingdom that refresh every hour. Once you reach that level, you can split some gold into guild tasks if you want, but you should work on getting your kingdoms to level 10. Every kingdom gives a bonus skill point, and you should buy them in this order: Magic, Attack, Life, and Armor. Once you max out all the kingdoms, the only thing to spend gold on is guild tasks. Don't even think of buying gold keys; you should get enough of them from tributes, your guild, and just playing the game.

Souls: Use these to level the troops you're playing first, and your hero class if you're using it. Then level the troops you think you'll use in the future, then just level everything else because troop levels will give your kingdom more stars. Raising levels is almost the only thing to spend souls on. It's pretty easy.

Glory: The best thing to spend Glory (the PvP currency, looks like wings) on is the weekly troop pack in the glory rewards section of the shop. Glory keys come from guild tasks, ranking up in PvP, and the treasure map mini-game. Once you're in a guild you should be getting plenty of keys, so you won't need to buy them directly. Buying event keys with glory might be worth it if there's something you really want from the event chest. The troop packs include a new troop of course, but it also comes with an arcane traitstone, and you are going to want those eventually when you trait out your troops. Some people will save up glory so they can buy as many of the stones they need as they can get.

Gems: The first thing to do with your gems is buy the 500-gem armor that boosts your gold. You might want the soul armor, too, but eventually (after a few hundred levels) you'll find your soul income is adequate, and more gold can always go to the guild. It's not much loss if you buy both, 500 gems can come quick in a guild. After you have your armor (or two), save up for the 50-packs of either gem keys or event keys, depending on your own choice. Event keys are good for chasing certain cards, and gem keys are more general. Gems are also spent on the later levels of Guild Wars sentinels, but I don't know how much that's really worth.

Guild Seals: When you're in a guild, make sure you go into the guild screen and collect your seals at least once a day or at least at the end of every time you play. It's the single biggest contribution you can make to your guild, even if you're not pouring money into the guild yet. You can collect 1500 seals a week, but once you've claimed them they're yours until you spend them. As the guild as a whole claims seals for the week, the guild chests will have better rewards. Gem Boiz and Gem Blossoms generally reach the 20,000 a week level. At that level, the guild chests hold troops from Rare to Mythic plus the guild guardian cards. Spend your seals once the guild peaks towards the end of the week for the best rewards.

Kevos Setzer fucked around with this message at 15:36 on May 30, 2017

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

1: join a goon guild (Monday loot explosion is a massive boost)
2: work at unlocking kingdoms and getting them to level 5
3: save gems for the top level armour (about 2 weeks in the guild)

Make sure you collect your guild seals but don't bother with guild tasks till you have got all kingdoms over 5 at least.

I suggest building a team that works for you out of any orange cards that drop for you and then dumping souls and traitstones in, it'll take a while to build up a full card pool and souls/traitstones are the main bottleneck

Pvp is the best source of cash, either in arena or with your own team once you build something up a bit

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Oh, never ever spend gold on chests.
Once you have the two 500gem armours you should spend gems on gem chests 50 at a time

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

Cool thanks all.

My invite code is Madookaboo

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Munkaboo posted:

Cool thanks all.

My invite code is Madookaboo

Invited to Gem Boiz.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The week's buffs dont seem that great. Anything I might be missing?

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

Synthbuttrange posted:

The week's buffs dont seem that great. Anything I might be missing?

Not really. The Raksha are not all that interesting, although some of them scale incredibly well because their skill is based on your opponent's stats. The new legendary from event chests might be interesting because she scales on your entire team's magic.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

I used the clan rewards and got the following Rares/Epics/Legendaries... are any of these good?

- Shadow Dragon
- Sharkey
- Spider Queen
- Terraxis
- Twisted Hero
- Visk
- Frost Giant
- Dragon Knight
- Hippogryph
- Astral Spirit

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

I'm told 4x Astral spirit traited up is a good speed run team for pve

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Munkaboo posted:

I used the clan rewards and got the following Rares/Epics/Legendaries... are any of these good?

- Shadow Dragon
- Sharkey
- Spider Queen
- Terraxis
- Twisted Hero
- Visk
- Frost Giant
- Dragon Knight
- Hippogryph
- Astral Spirit

Shadow Dragon, Spider Queen, Astral Spirit see a lot of use in PvP, pretty solid.
Not sure about Terraxis, looks potentially useful if his gem colors match up?
Sharkey is for a gold powered team. Not great on his own, you need teammates that generate gold to power him up like Pirates or Tyri.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Synthbuttrange posted:

Not sure about Terraxis, looks potentially useful if his gem colors match up?

Terraxis has a slot in one of my favorite PVP teams:

Dragon Banner
War Sphinx (Impervious)
Infernal King
Alchemist (Fire Link)
Terraxis (Fire Link)

A single red match at the start of the game can fill Alchemist, and then you're off to the races. And War Sphinx is Impervious, so you can safely take hits from Wraith***, or match skulls against Bone Dragon***.