Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Prison Legend: 09/16/2030, 06:50

So here's something interesting. There should be a Senses input here that decides whether we go deep into Salyu's memories or not. However, since we previously made the decision not to go deep into the others, the choice is made for us.

{I do. But what's scary about that malice is that you aren't aware of it yourself, right?}

Natsuhiko's thought was that they should just do it to make sure nothing was wrong, considering everything that could go wrong.

{Hmm... then let's just check to see if there are any ''floral-scented memories'' or not. That's all we need to do to know if she's infected with malice or not.}
{Yeah, you're right.}

That was Natsuhiko's intention all along.

{Then let's begin.}
{Yes...}

Hand in hand with Yuuri, he tried using Senses Sympathy.

He saw scenes comprising Salyu's day today appear and disappear.

♪ BGM: Psychological Warfare

Natsuhiko! Mashiro! Run!
Salyu!?
I'll get rid of him! The other one's fainted, so I can manage one-on-one combat!
Then let me help--!
No, Natsuhiko, you guys will only drag me down! I can't deal with a hostage situation if they get you!

Salyu made the most logical judgment. But after Natsuhiko and Mashiro had fled and Salyu had knocked down the two terrorists, a new terrorist appeared. Salyu immediately dropkicked him, but the force of the impact merely shattered the enemy's faceplate. The third terrorist threw off his protection suit and spoke.

...So we meet again.

He was the man who had knocked Salyu out last night in the ruined factory.

...Just a word of warning. Get out. Or the bulkheads will shut and trap your rear end in here. The fires will get worse and you could even burn to death. Seems to me like you're trying to thwart our plan out of some childish sense of justice, but-- What good is fighting me if it means putting your body in such extreme danger?
...!

Now he mentioned it, what -would- be the purpose of fighting this man? That was already well beyond the scope of Salyu's role.

(Why am I going so far to--)

Her thoughts were interrupted by a gunshot.

!!

♪ BGM: Approaching Death

(Crap...!)

When Salyu turned around in shock, she spotted one of the terrorists that she had flung away pointing his gun at her.

Dumbass! The hell are you doing!? Shooting at a child--!?
Dojima: The hell are YOU doing!? There's no time to be standing around, is there!?

The terrorists started quarreling. Salyu took that opportunity to get out of there.

(My brachial vein's damaged... I need to treat it immediately.)

(I can do temporary first aid with this...)

Luckily, the bullet had pierced all the way through. Salyu took the stapler to the gunshot wound in her arm-- and stitched it up.

--!!

She stifled her voice and treated the exit wound as well--

Gghh--... Haah, haah...

She sank to the floor, breathing roughly. For now, she had averted a medical emergency.

(... Now, what do I do from here...?)

The terrorist's words echoed in her head.

What good is fighting me if it means putting your body in such extreme danger?

--She very well could do what he said and run away. But if the terrorists' goal was to destroy the town in its entirety with a nuclear meltdown, then running away was pretty much pointless.

(... I can't just run away. If we don't stop the meltdown...!)

With that thought in mind, Salyu decided to stay in LABO alone and fight the terrorists. To protect the town where she had made so many memories. To protect her precious friends, Natsuhiko and Mashiro--

♪ BGM: Ominous Ambience ♫

...There was nothing suspicious about that part of Salyu's memories. Natsuhiko didn't suspect any of her other memories to be falsified, either.

(Salyu really held us in high regard, didn't she...)

Natsuhiko felt his heart wrench at the thought of her feelings.

(In any case, I'm really glad that Salyu's not infected with malice.)

With that thought in consideration, Natsuhiko ended his check of Salyu's memories.

And so, as you might have guessed, not going in deep with Salyu means that you completely miss her entire past being a lie, and the plot just moves along without mentioning anything being up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Tod und Verklaerung: Death and Transfiguration: A: 09/16/2030, 09:20 - N-ified

♪ BGM: Looming Crisis

Finally, our trip through the potential diversions in Route Double ends with Kazami's memories and their manipulation by Subject N. We don't actually get a choice regarding whether we want to get the long form of Kazami's memories or not, Natsuhiko simply decides that the full form is necessary here. So after getting the full story on Kazami, these are the memories that Subject N changed.

You've got amnesia...?
...Y-yeah... I guess you -would- call this amnesia...
(That can't be--!)

Kazami was doubtful for a second, but--

Is that true...?
Yeah... I know because my head's been hurting like hell for a while now. Maybe I hit it on something. That's probably why I'm feeling so dazed and having trouble remembering things.
...!?

For someone who had just lost his memories, that was a rather calm, logical explanation.

(That's odd... I mean, it -is- the kind of answer I would expect to hear from him, but that's exactly the problem...)

But Kazami didn't follow up on her doubts.

...Then that means your memories should return with time.
I-is that how it works?
Yes. It appears that retrograde amnesia caused by physical trauma goes away fairly quickly on its own without requiring any particular treatment in most cases.
...Then you're saying this is only temporary?

Watase sounded relieved.

(Maybe I should have asked him for more details...? Then again, there's a time for everything...)

Kazami ended her train of thought right then and there. But that decision gave rise to some reservations in her heart.

We then get the second part of this chapter, which is unaltered from the last time we saw it, so we're skipping to the end.

(Maybe her positive feelings towards Watase are a bit weak here...? Probably be best if I adjusted that a little bit...)

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Tod und Verklaerung: Death and Transfiguration: B: 09/16/2030, 10:11 - N-ified

♪ BGM: Evil and Nightmares

(How can he be dead just like that...!? Why did this happen...!?)

Watase spoke in a hollow voice at that moment.

Wh-what the hell... happened here...!?

(Is he not sad at all...!? That's his squadmate of ten or so years lying dead in there! How can he be so calm...!?)

Kazami couldn't hold that question back.

Captain... are you saying that finding out what happened here is more important than the fact that Dojima died...?
N-no, that's not it at all... I'm just not sad. It doesn't feel real to me: it's more like an event that happened in a TV show...

It was true that without Watase's memories, Dojima was probably nothing more than a mere stranger to him. But Kazami still felt he was being too cruel.

...That may be the case to you, but let me assure you, Dojima's death is all too real. We could meet the same fate as him if we let our guards down...
...Yeah.

Watase nodded without really indicating if he truly understood or not. Kazami sighed, then continued.

Let's go for now... if we remain here much longer... then it'll be difficult even for me.

Kazami was deeply saddened by Watase's attitude...

(All... all I can feel from this one is complete disappointment in Watase. I should be able to restore this memory to normal if I readjust her feelings...)

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Tod und Verklaerung: Death and Transfiguration: C: 09/16/2030, 11:31 - N-ified

♪ BGM: Evil and Nightmares

Tachibana, Moribe... can I have a minute?
Huh?
We're changing leaders. I'll lead the group from this point onwards.
C-Captain...?

The AD's effects will wear off, and we barely have any on us. This may sound harsh... but we have to survive.
But--

Though what he said was correct, he almost talked like he was blowing off the whole situation. But Watase beat Kazami to the punch before she could say anything.

Didn't you hear me? Then let me make it an order-- as Sirius' captain. As of this point onwards, Lieutenant Kazami Tachibana and Ensign Jun Moribe will hereby defer to Captain Watase Kasasagi's command!

His stern declaration left no room for refusal. Kazami found herself answering instinctively in the face of that overwhelming presence.

...Roger. Lieutenant Kazami Tachibana, deferring to Captain Watase Kasasagi's command, sir.
E-Ensign Jun Moribe, deferring to Captain's command, sir.
Very good.

Kazami couldn't read a single facet of Watase's emotion.

(It's like he's barely perturbed by Hiyama's death...! ...Is this another result of his amnesia...? Or...)

An ominous sense of foreboding passed through Kazami's brain for a moment. But she shook her head and drove that delusion out.

(N-no, I've got it all wrong. He's just being harsh because he's really worried about us...!)

Kazami decided to believe that.

(It feels like she's lacking trust in Watase here... I need to better adjust her emotions.)

And so that's your lot for the different things we missed in our runthrough of Route Double. Now, I know what you might be thinking: ''But TheMcD, what about moving on from the RAM system without fixing Kazami's memories?'' Well, somebody's got us covered:

(I see...)
{Focus carefully and try one more time.}

During ''V mlhach'', Yuuri basically tells us to try again and not gently caress it up this time around, and we can't continue without fixing Kazami's memories. So that's that! Next up, we'll enter the final chapter of the game, and there will be a decision for you to make right off the bat with death lurking behind the corner, so that'll be fun.

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
I like how none of the actual events changed for Kazami, just her reaction to them, and her questions to Watase.

Llab fucked around with this message at 12:52 on May 26, 2017

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

DECISION: 09/16/2030, 17:49

♪ BGM: Close to the Truth

Natsuhiko, Yuuri, Mashiro, and Ena supported each other as they headed to Area N.

Tips posted:

TIP: Area N
Category: Fiction

Refers to the circular room placed at the center of the hexagonal LABO. Its large atrium spans both basement floors 1 and 2, reaching a height of over 10 m. The N in Area N stands for Nuclear, designating the nuclear reactor installed there for research purposes--

Or at least that is the official explanation used for external purposes. In reality, there is no nuclear reactor, just a WX amplifier of comparable size which allows them to carry out BC particle-related experiments both day and night. The truth of its existence is extremely secret. Even low level researchers at LABO are given the same explanation as the official external explanation and are only told that there is a nuclear reactor in there.

Further beneath Area N is a deep depth floor called Area Zero where top secret experiments are performed. Area Zero has six locked rooms, allowing it to serve as a residential area for the test subjects. Subject N and Yuuri lived in Area Zero, as did other former test subjects like Salyu. Use of the elevator connecting Area N and Area Zero requires a top-ranking Level N security card and retinal scans of two or more top-ranking researchers.

LABO was originally a place meant for the unavoidable isolation of N-ified Communicators, so the national government knows of Area N's existence. However, the morally corrupt LABO began to confine Communicators regardless of their N-ification status.

As they walked, Natsuhiko told everyone about the epiphany he'd just had.

...Subject N was Ms. Tachibana's little sister.

Tips posted:

TIP: Test subject

High-level Communicators at risk of N-ification, as well as their relatives and other concerned individuals, are either confined by LABO for long periods of time or are tagged by them as observation targets. Seven such test subjects and observational targets have been confirmed. LABO's attitude towards such individuals can be seen by the almost prisoner-like designations given to them.

Subject A: Alice Enflamme
Subject N: Nagisa Tachibana
Subject Y: Louise Yui Sannomiya (Later Special Observation Target Yu)
Subject Y-II: Yuuri Kotono
Special Observation Target Na2: Natsuhiko Tenkawa
Special Observation Target Yu: Louise Yui Sannomiya (Previously Subject Y)
Observation Target Ka: Kazami Tachibana
Observation Target Ma: Mashiro Toba

They used the same trick they did with Yuuri to fake her death and confine her in LABO. It was most likely after the apartment complex gas explosion on April 7, nine years ago...
No way...
That's just... too cruel...!

They spoke with quivering voices.

Then Ms. Tachibana's trying to pass judgment on Q's members... for causing Subject N's death?
Yes... or perhaps she simply wants revenge.
Revenge? We're talking about Ms. Tachibana here--
Ms. Tachibana's been driven to insanity with intense malice, just as much as Watase was when he shot me. The reason why her symptoms didn't manifest for a while was probably because she had no clear target of hatred. Or she could also have been holding it back through sheer force of will.

She even rationalized her intent to murder with the justification that it was ''to protect Watase's name'' and ''to avenge her sister''.

(Ms. Tachibana intends to kill Watase and Mr. Ukita... But even malice infection won't completely erase someone's original personality. Even Watase had shown signs of his original self.)

Natsuhiko was struck with an intense unease. They needed to stop Kazami. But how? She had stolen Ena's gun, leaving Natsuhiko's gun their only weapon.

(If I'm correct, there are only two bullets left... but what can do with those? What can we even do with this gun!?)

As Natsuhiko touched the gun slung on his belt, Ena sighed and muttered aloud.

Mr. Tenkawa, do you think you can erase Ms. Tachibana's malice?
...I think it'd be difficult. She's a completely different case from everyone else.

She was Subject N's older sister, and through WX particle-induced genetic mutation, she had likely become a Rank S Aptitude Communicator.

Tips posted:

TIP: Aptitude Rank and Ability Level

Natsuhiko Tenkawa
...... Rank S Aptitude/Ability Level 6 (Rank C Aptitude/Ability Level 0 in childhood)

Yuuri Kotono
...... Rank S Aptitude/Ability Level 6 (Rank C Aptitude/Ability Level 0 in childhood)

Mashiro Toba
...... Rank B Aptitude/Ability Level 5 (underreported as Level 3)

Salyu
...... Rank F Aptitude/Ability Level 0

Watase Kasasagi

Kazami Tachibana
...... Rank S Aptitude/Ability Level 6 (Rank D Aptitude/Ability Level 0 before LABO incident)

Jun Moribe
...... Rank D Aptitude/Ability Level 0

Ena Tsubakiyama

Keiji Ukita

Alice Enflamme
...... Rank S Aptitude/Ability Level 6

Nagisa Tachibana
...... Rank S Aptitude/Ability Level 6

The general classification of ability levels is approximately as follows:

Level 0: Cannot use telepathy.
Level 1: Can use point-blank or direct contact telepathy.
Level 2: Can use short-range telepathy.
Level 3: Can use long-range telepathy.
Level 4: Can use long-range telepathy and point-blank or direct contact empathy.
Level 5: Can use very long-range telepathy and short-range empathy.
Level 6: Possesses ability greater than Level 5 and can use Senses Sympathy.

Furthermore, Rank F Aptitude means that any display of ability is impossible for such an individual and no amount of practice will change them from an ''ordinary person''.

The absolute BC/no BC boundary between Communicators and ordinary people certainly exists, but the boundary between Rank S Aptitude Communicators and those Rank A or lower is almost as absolute. According to all previous surveys, only Rank S Aptitude Communicators can use Senses Sympathy. Telepathy and empathy also become overwhelmingly easier the higher a Communicator's aptitude. Due to these significant differences, some scholars even advocate that Rank S Aptitude individuals are the true Communicators while Rank A Aptitude and lower individuals are only incomplete manifestations.

The next time I try to repair Ms. Tachibana's memories via Senses Sympathy-- She could very well manipulate my own memories before I finish.
Th-then in the worst case scenario... She could erase your memory the very moment you use Senses Sympathy!?
...I can't deny that possibility.

Actually, that possibility was rather high. An even worse case scenario was that the shock of memory erasure could damage his brain itself.

(If my brain were to get damaged-- Couldn't that make memory recovery impossible even if I bring Yuuri along!?)

That was to say nothing of the accumulated mental damage his repeated confrontations with Nagisa had wrought. Ever since he got hit with Kazami's telepathy attack, his head had been aching continuously. Could his next confrontation with Nagisa bring his mind and spirit to their final limits? As Natsuhiko fell into despair, Yuuri spoke up beside him.

But there's still hope.
Hope?
Unlike me and Hikorin, Ms. Tachibana hasn't done proper BC practice. That means she's not necessarily able to use Senses Sympathy at will, you know? Once you dive into Lieutenant Tachibana's brain, if you can erase N-- --No, if you can erase -Nagisa- within an exceptionally short amount of time, that should spell victory for us.
C-can you do it, Natsuhiko...?

Natsuhiko couldn't answer. Because that didn't seem like hope at all, but rather nothing more than wishful thinking.

I see... In that case... I guess that means I'll have to be the one to do something, then.
Huh? --Ah!!

♪ BGM: Psychological Warfare

The moment Natsuhiko asked for clarification, Ena reached for Natsuhiko's belt and snatched his gun.

Wh-what are you doing, Professor!?
If there's a problem you Communicators can't handle, then it's up to us ordinary people to take matters into our own hands. That's how we at the ESP Bureau have always operated.
Wait... Ms. Ena, you don't mean!?
I'll try to persuade Ms. Tachibana myself. But if that doesn't work-- I'll shoot to kill.
...!
No, don't, Ms. Ena...! Ms. Ena, you said you wanted to -protect- Communicators, didn't you!? Ms. Tachibana's a Communicator herself! How can you just kill her!?

Ena solemnly replied to Mashiro's plea.

...You kids know exactly how, don't you? September 16, sixteen years ago. This city was set aflame. All because of a single, N-ified Communicator. She triggered the mass pandemonium. And right now, Ms. Tachibana is extremely close to becoming the next Communicator A. And there's no way I can stand back and watch that happen. I'm a member of the ESP Bureau.

Ena grasped the gun tightly. Her eyes were no longer those of a teacher.

I'm sorry... It's too late for me to turn back. Farewell, my students. Our time together was short, but it's been fun.

And with that-- Ena rushed towards Area N.

Professor! Professor, please wait!

Ena wouldn't stop no matter how much Natsuhiko yelled. His screams faded into the darkness.

L-let's chase after her, guys!
Yeah!

Yuuri supported Mashiro and Natsuhiko, and the three of them ran.

The wounds the malice-infected Watase had inflicted. Natsuhiko no longer knew what was right.

(But still-- There has to be a route that leads to everyone's survival! There just has to be!)

With that conviction in mind, the three Communicators ran.

(Please don't die on me--!)

As Natsuhiko pleaded that thought, the gate opened. --And beyond that gate, they saw--

♪ BGM: Approaching Death

!!

Kazami pointing a gun. At a fallen, but uninjured Ukita. It seemed Watase had pushed him away just a second before Kazami had fired. In front of the two men stood Jun, covering them. Beside her was Salyu, standing at the ready. And finally-- beside them was Ena, pointing yet another gun.

Stop this immediately, Ms. Tachibana...! This isn't some empty threat this time! Put your gun down right now, or I'll shoot!
...Ms. Tsubakiyama... Could you please not interfere just this once? I only want to kill those two. That's all. Just Mr. Ukita and Watase. Once I kill those two and avenge my sister-- I'll put an end to myself personally.
!!

The atmosphere froze at those words.

Stop this, Sis! Don't kill them! Don't kill yourself!
Hold on, Moribe. I don't care if I die. I deserve as much for my crimes...
Captain!?
But Kazami, spare the old man, will you? And this goes without saying, but-- Don't you dare die, either.

After hearing those words, Ukita smiled in self-derision.

No, if you're going to kill someone, then kill me too... That's my atonement. Regardless of my motives, I've caused several victims to--

Salyu interrupted Ukita.

Kazami Tachibana, let me just say that there's no time. If you waste too much time here, I'll take you down myself.

Kazami glared at Watase without so much as a glance to Salyu. The wills of six people clashed.

(Wh... what should I do!?)

If this situation were left as it was, then Watase would surely die. Which would naturally make his deal with Yuuri null and void, setting her free.

(But then Ms. Tachibana and Mr. Ukita would die too...! Do I abandon three people to save Yuuri!?)

There was no way he could do that.

(Then there really is no other option besides erasing Ms. Tachibana's malice...!)

And only Natsuhiko could do it. Only he could use Senses Sympathy on Kazami at that distance. But could he erase her malice? If Nagisa were to defeat Natsuhiko, then it would mean the end of everything.

(... The more time it takes, the more dangerous it'll be... It'll be a big enough risk just searching through Ms. Tachibana's memory for Subject N. In that case... what if I just indiscriminately erase all of Ms. Tachibana's memory...!?)

That was a measure that Natsuhiko had forbidden himself from taking. It would indeed be the safer alternative. He had done the same to Watase before. But then Kazami would fall victim to amnesia. The moment that thought crossed Natsuhiko's mind-- A voice echoed in his head again.

!!

--It was the telepathy Natsuhiko had sent eight hours ago.

The message he had sent to Watase to make him save Yuuri from the flames surrounding her.

The information energy of that message had lingered and now, once again, had returned to Natsuhiko. As if to back up his decision. It was probably just a mere coincidence, but he still felt as if somebody were giving him that command.

(Ghh...!)

When he looked around, it appeared that only Natsuhiko had heard that telepathy.

(... You don't have to tell me!)

...well then.

VOTING

Alright, here we go. The situation is reaching a fever pitch - Kazami wants to kill Watase and Ukita, then herself; Ena wants to kill Kazami; Watase and Ukita have a death wish; Salyu could do anything at this point; Jun might dive into the shots to be a hero; and we need to figure out what the hell we're going to have Natsuhiko do in order to defuse the situation. Natsuhiko has a few ideas himself, but who knows what the right one is?

Now, we have three options here, and you're going to have to pick one of them. Choose between favoring Watase, favoring Kazami, or favoring neither, and choose wisely. There are two bad ends and one correct choice here.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Neither

Only favor Best Buddy Engine Cutter Jun.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
So wait, was the big twist you mentioned earlier supposed to be that Subject N is Nagisa? Because I feel like most of the thread worked that out awhile ago.

Anyway the choices here seem like they'll have pretty obvious outcomes:
Favoring Watase means that Natsuhiko will try to wipe Kazami's memory, and given Kazami's aptitude he will likely fail and get his own mind broken. Game over.
Favoring Kazami means that Natsuhiko will tell the others to let Kazami shoot Watase and Ukita, which sounds like it might work out okay until Nagisa arbitrarily decides that Kazami actually needs to kill everyone. Game over.
Favoring neither means that Natsuhiko will stand around like an idiot and someone else will act instead, most likely Salyu. If she can overpower Kazami and get the gun away, then the whole situation is defused.

So yeah, neither seems like the way to go here.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

So wait, was the big twist you mentioned earlier supposed to be that Subject N is Nagisa? Because I feel like most of the thread worked that out awhile ago.

No, it was the combination of "Kazami has BC aptitude" (which was vaguely hinted at at times if you figured that "Observation Target Ka" was indeed Kazami) and "being in Area N turned her into a Rank S Aptitude Communicator that can gently caress everybody up" (which was something you could have figured based on what happened to Yuuri and Natsuhiko).

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

TheMcD posted:

No, it was the combination of "Kazami has BC aptitude" (which was vaguely hinted at at times if you figured that "Observation Target Ka" was indeed Kazami) and "being in Area N turned her into a Rank S Aptitude Communicator that can gently caress everybody up" (which was something you could have figured based on what happened to Yuuri and Natsuhiko).
Was Kazami being a Communicator ever hinted at outside of the "Observation Target Ka" mentions? I admit I didn't see it coming, but I also haven't been paying that close attention to the finer details of the script.

asymmetrical
Jan 29, 2009

the absence or violation of symmetry
Neither is probably the right answer here, but I firmly believe in Watasemania.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Was Kazami being a Communicator ever hinted at outside of the "Observation Target Ka" mentions? I admit I didn't see it coming, but I also haven't been paying that close attention to the finer details of the script.

There weren't any real "hints" per se, just some stuff that you'd need to creatively interpret to come to that conclusion. For instance, in "6+3" back in Route After, when Ena asked if anybody could use BC, Kazami never confirmed or denied whether she was able to do so - Jun answered for the entire team. Back then, you wouldn't think twice about it, but of course, we now know that this is because Kazami never mentioned her aptitude to anybody. Also, in Jun's memories, we learn that Nagisa is a Communicator and both of her parents died at a young age from illness. And who do we know that dies at a young age from illness? Communicators, right.

However, these are all major leaps. For instance, you can of course think of Alice Enflamme and how her BC aptitude did not get passed on to Salyu to dismiss the "Kazami's family are Communicators, therefore she is a Communicator" angle, and the "6+3" argument is stretching massively. It really does revolve around realizing that "Observation Target Ka" is Kazami and remembering that she was noted as having Rank C Aptitude. And even noticing that either requires simply assuming that Ka is Kazami because the name fits and there's no other "Ka"-character in the game (which is a leap, albeit a correct one) or realizing that Subject N is Nagisa and therefore LABO would put Kazami unter surveillance as a direct relative of one of their test subjects.

That's what I like about the twist - the pieces are there, but I'll be damned if you're going to be able to put them together beforehand. However, I have a soft spot for games that make me look stupid, so pulling poo poo like that is something I personally really like. YMMV.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Between the Ka mentions and her family's abundance of Communicators (somewhat countered by Salyu's lack of inheritance) there's not a lot of solid evidence to point there. Additionally there is her weird 'talking to nobody in the security room' thing that Watase overheard as further evidence.

However, rather sneakily there's two additional narrative hints that the game does:

First, the comparison between her losing Nagisa and Natsuhiko losing Yuuri.
Second, that she's the last person to be de-Rage Virus'd. Thus due to narrative format she would be the hardest hit by the Malice.

Even then in my head it was a straight 50-50 odds between 'Kazami is a Communicator' and 'Kazami's attachment to pre-Nified Nagisa' would be the big twist/stumbling block that awards her her 'final boss' status.

Edit: Oh right voting. All three options have merit although I view them more in an 'effort' light. IE: Favoring Watase would have Natsuhiko focus his efforts to save Watase, while favoring Kazami would have him focus on her. This means to me that there's three ways to defuse Kazami (who is the locus of the conflict here:) defuse her reasoning, attempt De-malicing ASAP or attempt De-malicing after the situation has played out/stabilized a bit.

Thus my gut says Favor Kazami.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 00:51 on May 27, 2017

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Favor Kazami. Save her dammit.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Vote Watase. Vote hilarious death.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
Favor neither

First time I can vote in the thread! Whee!

Zakrelo
Dec 19, 2015
Favoring no one has just made Natsuhiko indecisive a few times, so i'll say Favor Kazami

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

asymmetrical posted:

Neither is probably the right answer here, but I firmly believe in Watasemania.

I agree with this. Vote Watase.

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
Yes, more Watase. Him being reckless gives me good feelings about what will come after.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

Vote Kazami, because it seems like the most obvious bad choice.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Going Neither.

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

TheMcD posted:

There weren't any real "hints" per se, just some stuff that you'd need to creatively interpret to come to that conclusion. For instance, in "6+3" back in Route After, when Ena asked if anybody could use BC, Kazami never confirmed or denied whether she was able to do so - Jun answered for the entire team.

According to the Aptitude Rank and Ability Level tip, Jun has the same aptitude Kazami had before becoming a rank S communicator, though I don't think anyone has mentioned that in-game.

On the subject of Watases' height, does this look slightly off to anyone else? Watase is towering over everyone there, and he's slightly hunched over with his legs wide apart.

asymmetrical
Jan 29, 2009

the absence or violation of symmetry
A lot of the art has been extremely wonky, proportions-wise. That one image of Watase and Natsuhiko battling, their arms are waaaaay too long. I've just left it be because, well, proportions are hard and it's an anime game.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

HydroSphere posted:

According to the Aptitude Rank and Ability Level tip, Jun has the same aptitude Kazami had before becoming a rank S communicator, though I don't think anyone has mentioned that in-game.

On the subject of Watases' height, does this look slightly off to anyone else? Watase is towering over everyone there, and he's slightly hunched over with his legs wide apart.

You know, that thing about Jun did stick out to me as well. I don't think anybody ever brought it up at all either. Well, we should be good with Jun, primarily because she didn't stay in WX particle contaminated zones without AD as much as Kazami did, which was almost certainly the main factor why Kazami's gene mutated and Jun's didn't.

Speaking of the WX-induced mutation, did anybody notice that LABO was being kind of stupid in trying to replicate that? They did it in experiments with Salyu, who had no aptitude whatsoever. Did they never consider to try it with somebody who actually had aptitude? Because looking at the previous sample size of 2, both of them (Natsuhiko and Yuuri) had aptitude, and now Kazami did the same thing, but say, Watase had nothing happen. I would have maybe figured that after the fifth time that it didn't work with Salyu that maybe the approach needs some fixing.

Anyway, on the topic of Watase's height, motherfucker's just huge. I mentioned earlier that I had a hell of a time finding a screenshot where I could crop Watase's head without it cutting off at the top, and I couldn't find one at all. Dude's massive in comparison to everybody else.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

TheMcD posted:

You know, that thing about Jun did stick out to me as well. I don't think anybody ever brought it up at all either. Well, we should be good with Jun, primarily because she didn't stay in WX particle contaminated zones without AD as much as Kazami did, which was almost certainly the main factor why Kazami's gene mutated and Jun's didn't.

Speaking of the WX-induced mutation, did anybody notice that LABO was being kind of stupid in trying to replicate that? They did it in experiments with Salyu, who had no aptitude whatsoever. Did they never consider to try it with somebody who actually had aptitude? Because looking at the previous sample size of 2, both of them (Natsuhiko and Yuuri) had aptitude, and now Kazami did the same thing, but say, Watase had nothing happen. I would have maybe figured that after the fifth time that it didn't work with Salyu that maybe the approach needs some fixing.

Anyway, on the topic of Watase's height, motherfucker's just huge. I mentioned earlier that I had a hell of a time finding a screenshot where I could crop Watase's head without it cutting off at the top, and I couldn't find one at all. Dude's massive in comparison to everybody else.

Speaking of which, the Steam trading card backgrounds probably have a shot of Watase that'll allow that. I'll take a look at some point so I can do height comparisons, but I don't have Watase as a card.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Cyouni posted:

Speaking of which, the Steam trading card backgrounds probably have a shot of Watase that'll allow that. I'll take a look at some point so I can do height comparisons, but I don't have Watase as a card.

Yeah, I tried making my portrait from the background, but it's horribly artifacted and not fun to use for editing.

Actually, looking at it, I can just use the images I extracted from the BG game file that has all the sprites in it. I'll cook something up, this shouldn't take long.

And Cyouni, while I'm responding to you, I could use some help - I extracted all the BGM files from the source, but there's a large amount of them that I have absolutely no loving clue where they play, and I wanted to ask if you maybe knew. In my extraction, they're the files unk_31.wavloop to unk_40.wavloop with one exception: I know that unk_33.wavloop is the jingle that plays when Mashiro changes the channel to watch an anime during the chapter INVOKE back in Route Before, but for everything else I'm drawing a blank. I assume some might be connected to the ending and might still come later, but if there are some that should have already played and you know where they should have played, post where.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

OK, I made a thing.

EDIT:

I tried to compress it down. Not sure if I succeeded in making it easier to look at.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 23:29 on May 27, 2017

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

That's a really cool graphic, and also holy poo poo all the women are tiny. I definitely expected Wataru in particular to be taller.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Oh, right, I should mention that the first guy in the protection suit is Dojima (yellow armband), and the second one is Hiyama (blue armband).

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Poor Dojima and Hiyama. Faceless goons until the end.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

EponymousMrYar posted:

Poor Dojima and Hiyama. Faceless goons until the end.

Yep.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Implied faces don't count!

I did forget about the Afro-Pompadour though.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

mycelia posted:

That's a really cool graphic, and also holy poo poo all the women are tiny. I definitely expected Wataru in particular to be taller.

I like how Natsuhiko went from shortest to one of the tallest.

Regarding the sound clips, I'll extract those and see if I can identify them, but it's been a while so no promises.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Uh...

code:
Watase:  IIII
Kazami:  IIII
Neither: IIII
...guys, this isn't going to work like this.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

TheMcD posted:

Uh...

code:
Watase:  IIII
...guys, this isn't going to work like this.

WATASEMANIA

(It's been so long since I've played that I legit don't remember which choice leads to which end)

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

mycelia posted:

WATASEMANIA

(It's been so long since I've played that I legit don't remember which choice leads to which end)

Works for me! Vote is closed, Watase wins!

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

-3: 09/16/2030, 17:53

Well, the people have spoken.

code:
Watase:  IIIII
And in a remarkably close decision that first saw the vote count tied at two each, then the next three votes made it tied at three each, and then the next three votes made it tied at four each, leading to me having to ask for a tie breaker vote, Watase takes the win! Let's see what happens...

And thus-- Natsuhiko made up his mind.

That was the route Natsuhiko had chosen.

(There's only one route left to take!)

With that thought in mind, Natsuhiko sent telepathy to Watase.

{Watase, I'm going to distract Ms. Tachibana right now! Take that opportunity to knock her out! It's the only way!}
--!!

Watase's face stiffened instantly. But he nodded faintly.

{Ms. Tachibana!}
!?

The intense telepathy shook Kazami's body for a second-- And at that moment, Watase shot off like a bullet, pushing Jun aside.

Aghh!!

Jun staggered and lost her balance. Watase took that opening to rush straight for Kazami.

Kazamiii!

Watase howled.

--and pulled the trigger.

!!

♪ BGM: Abyss

Watase's body shook as if struck by lightning. His feet froze on the spot.

Kaza... mi...

He muttered that and collapsed.

Ah...

Jun's hollow voice spilled out.

...Yes, that's fine... Now... I'm next...!

Ukita spoke softly and stepped up to Kazami. Kazami wordlessly turned her gun towards Ukita and pulled the trigger.

Ghh...!

She shot Ukita in the chest and abdomen, and he fell on the spot.

Goodbye, Jun.

She then pointed the muzzle at her own temple, and pulled the trigger.

Her descent to her knees almost looked like it happened in slow motion--

Aah, aaah...

A whimper spilled out of Jun's lips. But that whimper soon grew into a scream.

AHHHHHHH! Sis! Sisss! Captain!! Captain!!! No, what is this!? Noooooo!

--It was all over in such a short amount of time. Natsuhiko could do nothing but watch in shock.

He had no words. Jun's voice sounded so far away. Even his thoughts came to a standstill.

(Wh... why... Why did this... why did this happen...!?)

Watase was dead. So was Ukita. And Kazami. Watase's death meant the deal was void. Now Yuuri was free. However--

(Is... is this the ending I wished for...!?)

But what else could he have done? Natsuhiko did not know. As he stood still, dumbfounded, Salyu walked up to him and spoke.

...At least that ends that situation.
!

He was about to scold her for her cold tone of voice...

(--...)

But when he saw the sorrowful look on her face, Natsuhiko found himself at a loss for words once more. Salyu continued speaking in his silence.

But that doesn't mean all of the dangers have been cleared yet.
...Huh?
The bomb in Area Zero. We can't disarm it. And to make matters worse-- It'll go off before the lockdown is lifted.
!?

Natsuhiko, Yuuri, Mashiro, and Ena's eyes widened in shock.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

Looks like there are some things Watase can't beat with his mad martial arts skills. Like bullets.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

freshlybaked posted:

Looks like there are some things Watase can't beat with his mad martial arts skills. Like bullets.

Mask de Smith he aint.

I'm surprised this route continues from this point, would've imagined an instant bad-end rather than continuing 3 people down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
This isn't going to end well.

• Locked thread