Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's fine, a 29 year old with 19 years of professional experience won the Calder last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Koopa Kid posted:

Shanahan's tenure has been pretty interesting in that he's really motivated to acquire/deal with lots of different hockey minds but he doesn't really seem to be able to distinguish the good from the bad. Guy went from thinking that Dave Nonis and Randy Carlyle were somehow worth another shot after years of incompetence, then hiring Dubas and every analytics guy under the sun, to handing the keys to a stubborn geriatric that never figured out post-lockout drafting and team building. At some point he's going to have to commit to a vision instead of just hiring everyone that has a reputation or impresses him in interviews.

Lou's been making noise about not wanting to ride off into the sunset, and if things were working the way they were supposed to, a short extension with a formalized transition plan wouldn't have seemed too weird.

I don't know about not having vision though. Lou's his only big questionable hire and even that was a smart move if his vision was Hunter/Dubas but they weren't ready. Any other GM candidate would have had even more reason to gently caress Dubas over since they presumably would want to keep the job so grabbing a dude with a natural shelf life that kind of matched up with his timetable was the best he could do. I guess they could have tried Uncle Cliffy again and he would at least have played ball, but that didn't work out too well last time.

I think coaching wise, Babcock was his vision, or at least taking a run at him was anyways. In that case, keeping Randy around made sense. A full season interim head coach would be tough. Or if he got someone good, would he still dump him for the guy he really wants or continue to run with his second choice?

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

If we're just talking about the personnel and the succession around them sure, you can talk your way into this, but the article pretty plainly states that there's no succession and the parts aren't gelling. Considering that tons of people that covered the league called that friction the day Lou was hired I think it's more than fair to question the decision to hire that guy specifically.

I don't buy the "who else would they have hired?" stuff when it comes to coaching and management because other teams find ways to replace people. Plenty of guys get made GM with no NHL AGM experience, plenty of teams have full-year or close enough interim coaches, it's not actually uncommon.

The issue I see is that Shanahan still places a lot of value on experience and old-school thinkers, and his attempt to graft them onto a young and progressive group just leaves the org ignoring half its staff. The Leafs went from making short-term value acquisitions of + possession/scoring players, stockpiling picks, and drafting high-ceiling skilled players to paying out a ton of picks and money/term to non-upgrades and drafting overage big guys in the span of a year. That doesn't strike me as an organization with a clear strategy, it looks like a team at odds with itself.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Nicholle Anderson found out the morning of game 7 that she was cancer-free. Who cares if he doesn't get to hold the cup, the guy gets to hold his wife.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Koopa Kid posted:

If we're just talking about the personnel and the succession around them sure, you can talk your way into this, but the article pretty plainly states that there's no succession and the parts aren't gelling. Considering that tons of people that covered the league called that friction the day Lou was hired I think it's more than fair to question the decision to hire that guy specifically.

I think the friction was inevitable no matter who was hired. During the search that resulted in Lou, it was pretty obvious that Dubas, but 5 years older was Shanahan's first choice. Given that, anyone they hired, even another awesome analytically minded person would have to find some way to destroy Dubas or move him out of the picture. Old dude that he had a previous relationship with seemed like a good way to avoid that, but yeah, he probably should have known Lou wasn't going to play nice.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

flakeloaf posted:

Nicholle Anderson found out the morning of game 7 that she was cancer-free. Who cares if he doesn't get to hold the cup, the guy gets to hold his wife.

She should have told him after the game. Very selfish.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

pseudodragon posted:

I think the friction was inevitable no matter who was hired. During the search that resulted in Lou, it was pretty obvious that Dubas, but 5 years older was Shanahan's first choice. Given that, anyone they hired, even another awesome analytically minded person would have to find some way to destroy Dubas or move him out of the picture. Old dude that he had a previous relationship with seemed like a good way to avoid that, but yeah, he probably should have known Lou wasn't going to play nice.

I don't know, I think there's assumptions there that we can't necessarily make. Nobody's ever said Dubas has to be a GM by 2020 or he walks, it's easier to go by what the article said and think he's more frustrated being shut out entirely.

All that said, ultimately Shanahan's the president of the whole org. If our measure of his work to date is "hire Babcock and let the rest work it out" then that's not great leadership.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

There's a report that Oshie has reached a deal to stay on with the Caps. It's gonna be really interesting, if true, to see what the numbers come out to be. He can probably command quite a price on the market, though he had said he's happy living here and would prefer to stay here.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Lou's problem is that he went senile a few years ago and no one told him otherwise

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

She should have told him after the game. Very selfish.

I think I read she waited until then to tell him.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Who's ready for uhhh Matthews vs Kuznetsov, the next great rivalry?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

dan snyder didn't let them use his field?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

One, eww, DC gridiron.

Two, cheap and easy pivot to Are Troops.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
That's gonna be some sloppy rear end ice. March in Annapolis is above freezing with a decent chance of rain.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
Stop doing outdoor games

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Stop doing fun things

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Teemu Pokemon posted:

Stop doing outdoor games

Do one outdoor game a year on Jan 1st. Makes it an actual event.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

HERO charts got a fancy new update

http://ownthepuck.blogspot.ca/2017/05/hero-charts-player-evaluation-tool.html

now you can compare skaters directly to each other and skaters against "archetypes" like a 1st line winger, 3rd line center, or you can compare a defender to a can of trash by selecting Luca Sbisa

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
Awwww hell yeah, that's the off-season, scintillating and dynamic discussion we've been waiting for.

First we'll talk about how only one is special despite it drawing middling ratings and not actually boosting the NHL's national profile. Then we talk about only the popular teams get outdoor games. Then we talk about the weather again, then bring up the outdoor Vegas preseason game.

Finally, we'll land at its natural conclusion where we all realize that an overwhelming majority of hockey revenue is generated by gate and concessions and not television deals. Being able to double or triple your home game gate while splitting the concessions between the venue is great business. Tack on the money the team and the NHL make by adding one-off jerseys it makes no goddamned sense not the add as many outdoor games as you can.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

winter classic was an already stale gimmick that was murdered by league over-saturation. once the novelty of having an outdoor game wore off it was just one of eighty-two boring regular season games.

Gio fucked around with this message at 14:59 on May 28, 2017

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS

Gio posted:

winter classic was an already stale gimmick that was murdered by league over-saturation. once the novelty of having an outdoor game wore off it was just one of eighty-two boring regular season games.

Exactly, they should have one for every team in the league.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

there's only so much you can do to make the regular season interesting. personally i think it'd be cool if the season were significantly shorter, but obviously that'll never happen because teams need to make money. i think it'd be cool though to have a 24 game season, one game a week.

imo

e: and yeah i know that opens the door to more lovely teams making the playoffs

Gio fucked around with this message at 15:02 on May 28, 2017

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Aye Doc posted:

HERO charts got a fancy new update

http://ownthepuck.blogspot.ca/2017/05/hero-charts-player-evaluation-tool.html

now you can compare skaters directly to each other and skaters against "archetypes" like a 1st line winger, 3rd line center, or you can compare a defender to a can of trash by selecting Luca Sbisa

:tif:

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
https://twitter.com/wyshynski/status/868823552933449730

I'M SO CONFLICTED

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

Gio posted:

there's only so much you can do to make the regular season interesting. personally i think it'd be cool if the season were significantly shorter, but obviously that'll never happen because teams need to make money. i think it'd be cool though to have a 24 game season, one game a week.

imo

e: and yeah i know that opens the door to more lovely teams making the playoffs

great idea. we need more teams to play like ottawa during the regular season

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

dont be mean to me posted:

One, eww, DC gridiron.

Two, cheap and easy pivot to Are Troops.

Thats in Annapolis, 30 miles from DC. It's where the US naval academy is. Dunno why they're playing there besides The Troops, but it's kind of cool I guess. They should play on an aircraft carrier imo.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Thats in Annapolis, 30 miles from DC. It's where the US naval academy is. Dunno why they're playing there besides The Troops, but it's kind of cool I guess. They should play on an aircraft carrier imo.

They should have Flyers-Bruins on a carrier somewhere near the Mariana Trench and then have a tea party.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Captain Internet posted:

Finally, we'll land at its natural conclusion where we all realize that an overwhelming majority of hockey revenue is generated by gate and concessions and not television deals.

This hasn't been true since they cancelled season. It's WHY they cancelled an entire season.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

corn on the cop posted:

great idea. we need more teams to play like ottawa during the regular season

get rid of the loser point altogether then, make overtimes longer. i dunno.

e: again im like half/quarter serious and spitballing things i would like not what would be good for the league.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
It should be 1 point for an OT/SO win nothing for losing in my opinion

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS

ElwoodCuse posted:

This hasn't been true since they cancelled season. It's WHY they cancelled an entire season.

Your right, it's not an overwhelming majority it's just a modest majority. The only operating statement I could find is a 2009 Coyotes sheet and even their gate, concessions, and misc beats out their local broadcast and NHL revenue sharing totals. That's before the crazy Canadian television deal and NBC deals so it could wash that away but the Coyotes are historically not a huge draw.

Also, this loving operating statement is like "WOW Arizona is losing money like crazy."

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Captain Internet posted:

Your right, it's not an overwhelming majority it's just a modest majority. The only operating statement I could find is a 2009 Coyotes sheet and even their gate, concessions, and misc beats out their local broadcast and NHL revenue sharing totals. That's before the crazy Canadian television deal and NBC deals so it could wash that away but the Coyotes are historically not a huge draw.

Also, this loving operating statement is like "WOW Arizona is losing money like crazy."

Where does Arizona end up if they do move?

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

ElwoodCuse posted:

The NBC contract only pays the NHL $200 million a year; Rogers contract pays $324 per year. That's $17 million a year per team. Gate is still huge.

These outdoor games are fine if you just ignore the hype and consider it a non-special game unless your team is playing in it. Even then, it might only be special because it sucks due to weather and lovely seating/views.

Though playing on an aircraft carrier would be fantastic. Someone talk to the head moron in charge. We could play the game underway in the Spratlys or the Strait of Hormuz or something inflammatory like that.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
They should move the winter classic/ASG so they coincide and do the whole week outdoors and that's it

Outdoor skills comp would be the raddest poo poo

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 16:22 on May 28, 2017

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

PK owns, gently caress John Scott. This is a good hockey opinion

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Teemu Pokemon posted:

They should move the winter classic/ASG so they coincide and do the whole week outdoors and that's it

Outdoor skills comp would be the raddest poo poo

Have the all stars compete in Crashed Ice https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FC635rC_1Us

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Glambags posted:

PK owns, gently caress John Scott. This is a good hockey opinion

Yeah gently caress John Scott. Everyone forgot that he was an actual no-talent piece of poo poo on the ice because it was funny to put him in the all star game

Newf
Feb 14, 2006
I appreciate hacky sack on a much deeper level than you.

What's a FirstA?

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Newf posted:

What's a FirstA?

Primary assist I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Primary assists, I assume