Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

And not all Omnimechs are Clan. There aren't any in MWO right now, but the game is about at the tech level where IS Omni's start to show up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
Holy poo poo messing around with the Linebacker, with the omnipod feature, is pretty drat fun, and I think I'm going to rock this and see how it goes.

x3 ER Large Lasers
x1 Large Pulse Laser

Another Build I may try is x3 Large Pulse Lasers

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Agrajag posted:

Holy poo poo messing around with the Linebacker, with the omnipod feature, is pretty drat fun, and I think I'm going to rock this and see how it goes.

x3 ER Large Lasers
x1 Large Pulse Laser

Another Build I may try is x3 Large Pulse Lasers

Wayyy too hot and heat inefficient.

Clan large lasers have a ghost heat limit of 2. While some mechs can probably do multiple large lasers well like that, the Linebacker is probably not the platform for it.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Artificer posted:

Wayyy too hot and heat inefficient.

Clan large lasers have a ghost heat limit of 2. While some mechs can probably do multiple large lasers well like that, the Linebacker is probably not the platform for it.

drat, what build should I look into with the linebacker?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Agrajag posted:

drat, what build should I look into with the linebacker?

It has good high mounts, good speed, and somewhat lower than normal heavy mech pod space availability. Try figuring out what you'd like to do to work with that.

You could try this out: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=470&l=ace626526c6d4e9aadc975e90dc65970c03121ea courtesy of Metamechs.com and then from there, work out what tweaks you'd like to have.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The general suggestion for linebackers is either 2x ER PPC or some small lasers and missiles. I dunno, never been very convinced by them from the perspective of someone shooting at them. They're fast and they're very durable, but they tend not to hit very hard, especially for a heavy.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Agrajag posted:

Does it make sense for me to pickup Advanced Zoom skill for my dual UAC + dual AC5 Black Widow?

I figure after several matches of both teams turtling for the first half of the game I might as well get it.

Dude, running around in a 2x LB10, 6x SPL BW were some of the best brawling wins I've ever seen.

Just throwing that out there. :getin: if you wanna roll the dice on your drop.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I've messed around with the Linebacker a bit the past couple days, and I'll second the 2x ER PPC build as the best stock option. I tried to get an SPL/SRM Brawler to work, but without the hero variant for the 3E right torso the tonnage and hardpoints just don't line up. Overall, it lags pretty far behind the Ebon Jag and Hellbringer in the 65-ton Clan mech bracket, but hey, those two aren't free!

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 07:24 on May 28, 2017

JacksAngryBiome
Oct 23, 2014
The Quickdraw has crazy acceleration for a heavy.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Yeah, I know that balancing poo poo mechs was one of the big reasons for the engine decouple, but I didn't think the Quickdraw was even that bad?

There are a few other head-scratchers in the list. Like, why is the Top Dog 33% more mobile than the other Thunderbolts?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

JacksAngryBiome posted:

The Quickdraw has crazy acceleration for a heavy.

Isn't the Quickdraw a medium?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Nope, 60 tons.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I only played it when it first came out and was affectionately known as the kintorso. Never revisited it.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Daily reminder that Urbanmechs rule and to defend your base.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Atlatl posted:

I'm glad someone got a screen of that match. Stormcrows are still in a really good position as all-around mechs. I shouldn't have survived as long as I did.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

And they even did well by the engine decoupling. While most of the good clan mechs got knocked down a rung, they managed to sneak into the middle of the pack for mediums, which is drat good for a 55 tonner.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Atlatl posted:

I didn't realize we took out that base in just over 3 minutes.

I just adore how we completely wasted everyone's time with that match. I'm the only one who got any money because I shot up three of the bases, and no one got any match score to really put a dent in the event :allears:

Also want to throw out a general reminder than the 9SPL/4MG Nova is a loving monster.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

veedubfreak posted:

Commoners is a loving cheater.

Helios Helios Helios!

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

Azuth0667 posted:

Helios Helios Helios!

Yeah but I pay for the special discounted price edition that only works with garbage mechs

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

aniviron posted:

The thing is, it's not just a choice between 4.5% heat vs radar dep. You have to consider the nodes in between. Very nearly everything in the sensor tree is good. Target retention is good because it allows you to predict enemies much more easily. Extra sensor range is good because it lets you determine enemy loadouts sooner at the beginning of the game, and acts as a soft counter to ECM because it increases the range at which you can target ECM mechs. Radar dep and seismic are obviously critical. And target info is excellent because it means you can shoot weak spots as soon as you target something instead of blindly blasting the CT of that battlemaster for 60% of your heat only to realize the left side was open. Advanced zoom is pretty bad and not worth it unless your vision is bad and you are in an ER LL boat, but it's also not blocking any good nodes. 360 target retention is pretty baller but you get the first rank (the worthwhile rank) of it as a filler node so you can skip the other.

Compare that to something like operations, which is like 80% garbage bullshit and 20% heat nodes you might actually want. Or survival which has some decent stuff but also has fall damage reductions and tiny crit chance reductions. Then remember that the sensor tree is really cheap to invest in anyway.

Also, you don't need 17 points in ops for optimal cooling. You can invest in the top few, then take the top left and right nodes to get like 60% of the boost for just ten nodes. Add in the fact that heat gen reduction is better than a cooling boost unless you have like 40 heatsinks and you should probably spec out of ops for the weapons instead.

This is almost sounding like ggggooddd designnn scooby (shivers comically)

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

It's got some major kinks that need working out, but I do like it a lot more than the old module mastery system. If nothing else, not needing three variants of a mech just to "finish" leveling the only one you care about is very nice.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Ok, so even post skill tree my problem with the Hunchie-4SP in Quick Play remains the same: it may take forever to actually kill you with all that structure, but those SRM launchers get destroyed drat near instantly.

I'm trying to make an energy-only build, since the SRM quirks are no longer as nuts, but it's awkward. 5MPL and a max size STD engine leave me a couple of tons to play with and nothing good to spend them on. I could try a mini-laserboat with 1LPL + 3x MPL, I guess. Any other ideas?

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
Are there any other mechs that are good for ballistic builds similar to the Black Widow but can actually carry enough ammo? Now that I'm getting a bit better I find myself running out of ammo way too soon in the Black Widow. I was thinking the Kodiak but was wondering if there is anything else I should take a look at.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

NihilCredo posted:

Ok, so even post skill tree my problem with the Hunchie-4SP in Quick Play remains the same: it may take forever to actually kill you with all that structure, but those SRM launchers get destroyed drat near instantly.

I'm trying to make an energy-only build, since the SRM quirks are no longer as nuts, but it's awkward. 5MPL and a max size STD engine leave me a couple of tons to play with and nothing good to spend them on. I could try a mini-laserboat with 1LPL + 3x MPL, I guess. Any other ideas?

Already tried it, it's still not very good.

All you are is a weapons anemic medium with high survivability and bad firing points that mean you have to overexpose to fire them, and if you brawl you run too hot for it to be worth it.

There's a reason why the 4SP is so overquirked, and it's because it's just generally mediocre at doing stuff at best.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Psst. Hey kid. You wanna brawl some people?

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=301&l=d5a4bb7af10cdccb5d5fdb99eae4fe1fc314798d

With armor quirks, ive currently got 150/12 ct, 95/10 side torsos, 68 in the RA, 34 in the shield arm, and 71 in the legs. Some mobility skills to let it twist around a bit, the 5 lift speed skills so the jump jets dont suck as much rear end, and the rest in ops for cool run and heat containment. Brawls like a champ and takes forever to die.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Great Beer posted:

Psst. Hey kid. You wanna brawl some people?

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=301&l=d5a4bb7af10cdccb5d5fdb99eae4fe1fc314798d

With armor quirks, ive currently got 150/12 ct, 95/10 side torsos, 68 in the RA, 34 in the shield arm, and 71 in the legs. Some mobility skills to let it twist around a bit, the 5 lift speed skills so the jump jets dont suck as much rear end, and the rest in ops for cool run and heat containment. Brawls like a champ and takes forever to die.

The victor 9S can run 3ASRM6s and an AC20, and its jump jets are also 1 ton instead of the 2 tonners that 100 ton mechs use. That highlander CAN brawl, but the real brawlers that are running massed CSPL or SRMs will drink your milkshake. 3LPL/AC10 is more of a mid range build than a brawling one.

The armor quirked mechs are really good right now. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they get nerfed either through the way that bonus armor is applied or something else, but it's possible that PGI will realize that those mechs needed a shot in the arm in the first place.

Commoners fucked around with this message at 17:58 on May 28, 2017

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

I like the Victor a lot but having a huge pile of armor is hard to pass up. I will agree that anything it can do the victor can do with more speed and better hitboxes. But who doesn't love a good old fashioned flying brick?

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
So uh who do I need to contact to get an invite to WoL?

I've checked Discord and Mumble yesterday and today and haven't seen anyone.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Agrajag posted:

Are there any other mechs that are good for ballistic builds similar to the Black Widow but can actually carry enough ammo? Now that I'm getting a bit better I find myself running out of ammo way too soon in the Black Widow. I was thinking the Kodiak but was wondering if there is anything else I should take a look at.

Mauler MX90

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Great Beer posted:

I like the Victor a lot but having a huge pile of armor is hard to pass up. I will agree that anything it can do the victor can do with more speed and better hitboxes. But who doesn't love a good old fashioned flying brick?

That's the thing about the Victor though- it's got huge armor quirks too. Not sure I'd call its hitboxes good, but I guess better than the Highlander is worth something.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

aniviron posted:

That's the thing about the Victor though- it's got huge armor quirks too. Not sure I'd call its hitboxes good, but I guess better than the Highlander is worth something.

Head on it's got bad boxes, but it's really good at twisting and people are still awful at dealing with you if you feather your jump jets while brawling.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Agrajag posted:

So uh who do I need to contact to get an invite to WoL?

I've checked Discord and Mumble yesterday and today and haven't seen anyone.

Stay active, add people on your friend list, you got many names from the screenshot posted previously. At some point someone that can invite you will show up. I am not sure why WoL doesn't have more people with this access, the group of active players is pretty small these days.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Artificer posted:

No. Clan mechs include battlemechs with non-interchangeable parts BUT interchangeable engines and other equipment. Examples include the IIC mechs like the Marauder IICs, and Hunchback IICs.

I stand corrected.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
The loyalty blackjack with 4xASRM6's is extremely good right now.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Agrajag posted:

What build are you using? I've never had bad ammo problems. Not at my comp to check my exact build right now, but it's never been a huge issue. How many tons per gun?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
I logged in to take a look at the new skill tree and it made my eyes glaze over

wake me when the new tech comes in, dang

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Cyrano4747 posted:

What build are you using? I've never had bad ammo problems. Not at my comp to check my exact build right now, but it's never been a huge issue. How many tons per gun?

In several close games I ended up running out of ammo and an advantage turned into a loss due to me running out of ammo. I would take a smaller engine but I don't have the credits to buy a new engine.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Agrajag posted:

In several close games I ended up running out of ammo and an advantage turned into a loss due to me running out of ammo. I would take a smaller engine but I don't have the credits to buy a new engine.

Why do you have ferro instead of endo? And no double heatsinks?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Yeah bump the engine down. Iirc when I ran an xl it was a 270.

On the upside it's a BW so you'll get credits fast.

Or try the 2 ac 2 / 2 uac 5 with whatever std gets you 60 kph (think a 270). Think it can sport endo too

Editors poo poo didn't notice the ferro. Ditch that for endo it's a better weight saving.

Prob get a couple tons ammo right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
You should strip the armor out of the head and put it somewhere else. The head hitbox is at most the glass of the cockpit and even on things with colossal windows like the King Crab or Cyclops I've never been killed by a headshot.

• Locked thread