Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Put me down for

CON: 342
LAB: 221
LD: 8
Other: 79

With the charity being "your nearest food bank."

edit: I can't add

Zephro fucked around with this message at 15:53 on May 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Namtab posted:

Wasn't she shadow health before?

She was shadow secretary for International Development which is basically a nothing position, after the chicken coup she was given health and then given her current role after Andy Burnham hosed off.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

dispatch_async posted:

Her two closest advisors are briefing against each other on the front page of the Times today. Now Lynton Crosby is in charge, after his notable successes running the campaigns of Stephen Harper and Zac Goldsmith. Boris Johnson is going to be much more visible from now onwards. She'll almost certainly still win, but none of this points to it being smooth sailing.

Tuesday morning, May walks out dressed as a leprechaun and claims that Corbyn would rekindle The Troubles for political gain.

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life

Hoops posted:

UK pollsters got Brexit and the 2015 GE so wrong that I've got a half-hunch they may have overcorrected their modelling of shy voters, leading to an overestimate of Tory support. Although equally they may just be wrong again and The Tories will beat polling.

I don't see them getting below 38-39%, so i think the majorities etc will be decided by how much Labour can win back minority party votes. It has definitely gotten more unpredictable.

Also it's worth remembering what Nate Silver said at the start of the campaign about how accurate UK polls generally are: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-u-k-snap-election-is-riskier-than-it-seems/

quote:

On average, U.K. polls this far out have missed the final margin by 6 percentage points. And they don’t get all that much more accurate as you go along — the final polling average has missed the result by 5 points. The experience in Brexit last year — when the polls missed the final margin by 4 points according to the Huffington Post polling average or 6 points according to the method I described above — wasn’t a big outlier by U.K. standards. The same goes for the previous U.K. general election in 2015, when they underestimated Conservatives by around 6 points. Polls in 2010 were quite good in diagnosing the Conservative-Labour margin, although they considerably overestimated Liberal Democrats’ performance.

May’s Conservatives do have a massive lead, with recent polls showing them 9 to 21 points ahead of Labour and their unpopular leader, Jeremy Corbyn. Also, while the polls in the U.K. haven’t been very accurate, they’ve tended to underestimate Conservatives rather than Labour in the past. (See also: the Shy Tory Factor.)

But if polls are missing election outcomes by 5 or 6 points on average, that means the margin of error (or 95 percent confidence interval) is very large indeed. Specifically, a 6-point average error in forecasting the final margin translates to a true margin of error of plus or minus 13 to 15 percentage points, depending on how you calculate it.

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008
Personally I think we will get the cataclysmic 100+ tory gains but then I'm a complete pessimist.

I did start feeling hope a week or two ago, felt confident Labour would hold on to Hove and win Kemptown locally but then you consider the fact UKIP who were worth circa 3k votes in those constituencies will no longer be fielding candidates and the situation looks pretty dire.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

CON: 276
LAB: 289
LD: 6

Charity: The conservative and unionist party of great britain
e: or UNICEF. whichever you prefer.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

dispatch_async posted:

Also it's worth remembering what Nate Silver said at the start of the campaign about how accurate UK polls generally are: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-u-k-snap-election-is-riskier-than-it-seems/

Yeah but he even states there it's more likely to benefit the Tories than Labour.

BobbyThompson
Mar 23, 2001

Zephro posted:

Put me down for

just a suggestion :) >. https://www.justgiving.com/m-c-f

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Yeah as much as I'd feel sorry for everyone having to live with the resulting mess, little to no change in parliament would be the funniest outcome.

Mayhem will neither have gained a mandate to potentially do what's necessary over the heads of the most insane Tories nor have lost enough of her mandate to have an excuse to ignore their screeching, so the only option is a slow-motion trainwreck.

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 15:46 on May 28, 2017

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Kegluneq posted:

Has anyone else had one of these delivered? 12 pages of this guff. I can't remember if it's been brought up here yet.

The Theresa May And Her Team Party

I like how every element in the top left looks like it's fighting to get at you, like you're a TV in the sales

forkboy84 posted:

Seriously, who here has even said they have confidence in Abbott as Home Secretary? Away & shite you boring oval office.

All right I'll bite with this one, do we actually have any indication she'd be a bad Home Secretary? Unlike the shadow position it's not about being good in interviews or remembering figures, it's about policy development and overseeing the people who work with that policy. Is she incredibly bad at that? Aside from being an office that corrupts everyone who takes it, is there any indication things would be worse with her than, say, Theresa May's stunning record of achievements?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Hoops posted:

UK pollsters got Brexit and the 2015 GE so wrong that I've got a half-hunch they may have overcorrected their modelling of shy voters, leading to an overestimate of Tory support. Although equally they may just be wrong again and The Tories will beat polling.

I don't see them getting below 38-39%, so i think the majorities etc will be decided by how much Labour can win back minority party votes. It has definitely gotten more unpredictable.

I kind of think it may be the other way round in this election and the pollsters are missing 'shy Labourites', people who feel uncomfortable admitting they're voting for Corbyn but are going to go ahead and do it on the day.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

dispatch_async posted:

it's worth remembering what Nate Silver said

This is almost never the case, fyi.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

ozmunkeh posted:

The guy who gave Trump the highest chance of anyone this side of the LA Times?

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life

ozmunkeh posted:

It's pretty much just a list of historical polling figures and election results. Are you saying the numbers are wrong?

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Just wondering with the way our FPTP works, is it possible for a major party to get a larger vote share than another but get less seats over all? E.g. Imaginary scenario where Labour get 35% of the vote but 250 or so seats, Tories get 33% of the vote but 300 or so seats.

Obviously it's possible for smaller parties to get shafted/disproportionately rewarded compared to their vote share because our system is a joke. Just wondering if we could get a government which actually had less votes than its loyal opposition (rather than just less votes than all of its opponents put together).

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Stabbatical posted:

Just wondering with the way our FPTP works, is it possible for a major party to get a larger vote share than another but get less seats over all? E.g. Imaginary scenario where Labour get 35% of the vote but 250 or so seats, Tories get 33% of the vote but 300 or so seats.

Obviously it's possible for smaller parties to get shafted/disproportionately rewarded compared to their vote share because our system is a joke. Just wondering if we could get a government which actually had less votes than its loyal opposition (rather than just less votes than all of its opponents put together).

Yes: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_general_election,_1951

Edit: and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_general_election,_February_1974

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Stabbatical posted:

This happened in 74 in the UK

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Pretty much. Labour tends to do well in the cities but a rural seat is still a seat even if it has 1/10th the population of a seat in London.

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH

Stabbatical posted:

Definitely, in the run up to the 2015 election when Lab/Con were tied in polling people were expecting the Tories to get more seats because of Lab votes being lost in SNP seats but Lab to be able to form a coalition gov't. Obviously that one didn't work out, but because of the SNP holding seats in areas with lots of Labour votes I think Labour has to beat the tories in vote share by a pretty good margin to get the same number of seats.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
a re-run of '74 would be deeply funny imo

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Zephro posted:

Put me down for

Actually on second thoughts:

CON: 346
LAB: 224
LD: 5
OTHER: 75

Those numbers may look different but let me be very clear: nothing has changed. NOTHING HAS CHANGED

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Verizian posted:

Pretty much. Labour tends to do well in the cities but a rural seat is still a seat even if it has 1/10th the population of a seat in London.
Most seats are approximately equalised by population every so often - excluding island constituencies, just about every currently existing parliamentary constituency has 60k voters +/- 10k IIRC. Also, Labour constituencies tend to be less heavily populated than Tory ones rather than the other way around, which is why the boundary review was set to be bad for Labour.

e: actually, it's apparently 70k +/- 10k rather than 60k.

LemonDrizzle fucked around with this message at 16:11 on May 28, 2017

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Spent today carting letters around for labour. Main target is upper middle class pensioners by the looks of the houses we were hitting.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Stabbatical posted:

The popular vote is irrelevant, it's just about a set of individual local elections and who ends up winning the most of those. So you could easily have a large vote share concentrated in a relatively small number of seats - landslide victories for those, but a big win doesn't mean anything more than a close one. High turnout for Labour in a limited number of constituencies would do it

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Electoral poo poo through my doorstep so far roundup

First up is the labour candidate, new one this time around. Apparently I was at a party with her a few years back but I can't recall the details. Or the party.

An independent who claims he's here to rock the boat as a traditionalist with a safe pair of hands. AFAIR, he's ex tory councillor

the lolberal option, surprised they let this guy have another crack as he didn't even get his deposit back last time. maybe one of the other 6 lib dems could have a shot?

Nowt from the greens, kippers or tories yet, given the demographics of the area I think it's likely the latter two won't even bother.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/868840252227674113

:ironicat:

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Put me down on:

Con: 349
Lab: 218
LD: 7
Other 76

Charity: Planned Parenthood Montana, because :lol: at this electorate if that happens. :getin:

edit: missed one seat, nothing else changed

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 16:15 on May 28, 2017

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

jabby posted:

My ray of hope is the audience questions from both Sky and the Question Time special, since they are more likely to swing towards topics that are good for Corbyn and bad for May rather than just regurgitating Tory attack lines.
I'm more pessimistically expecting Corbyn to get questions like "how can you defend the UK in Brexit when you were fighting alongside the IRA?" while May hears "what do you use on your hair to keep it so strong and stable™?"
"There might have to be a couple of people taken out and shot" says Tory MP, less than a year after the shooting of Jo Cox.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

LemonDrizzle posted:

Most seats are approximately equalised by population every so often - excluding island constituencies, just about every currently existing parliamentary constituency has 60k voters +/- 10k IIRC. Also, Labour constituencies tend to be less heavily populated than Tory ones rather than the other way around, which is why the boundary review was set to be bad for Labour.

e: actually, it's apparently 70k +/- 10k rather than 60k.

i thought it was the other way round. the boundary review was going to be based off voters rather than population?

BobbyThompson
Mar 23, 2001

Kegluneq posted:

Fortunately competence isn't a requirement for Health Secretary.

The One Show interview gets a prominent screenshot. It's mostly photographs of Theresabot meeting Hard Working People and Middle Aged White Men In A Pub, along with soundbitey (and almost wholly meaningless) speech excerpts.

Edit: The schools bit is literally just 'more institutes of technology' without explaining what they are.

Is there anyway you could scan the bastard? I've looked everywhere for a copy online to no avail.

edit : Also, does it have a wordsearch? :D

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Jose posted:

i thought it was the other way round. the boundary review was going to be based off voters rather than population?
Yes, you're right - I should've been clearer.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Have they not already relaunched the campaign like twice?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
oh good

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/stat...1494%23lastpost

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)
What's the likelihood and impact of the UK turning itself into the planets biggest corporate tax haven to mitigate economical losses of a trade-hostile EU?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Rakosi posted:

What's the likelihood and impact of the UK turning itself into the planets biggest corporate tax haven to mitigate economical losses of a trade-hostile EU?

100%, total destruction

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

BobbyThompson posted:

Is there anyway you could scan the bastard? I've looked everywhere for a copy online to no avail.

edit : Also, does it have a wordsearch? :D

Literally just threw out my old and lovely printer/scanner in a fit of pique after finding out that the ink cartridges cost more to replace than a new actual printer would, but I can take more photos later.

It doesn't have a wordsearch sadly, just lots of Q&As with May written in a strange bullet point style (Turn to page 8 for more from the PM!) and Fun Fact Corners. The last page has the comparison between the odds on Trump, Brexit and Corbyn's leadership win, with the presumed message that at least two of these things are worse for Britain that the Conservatives would ordinarily admit.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhG1ZNxwCaA

Holy poo poo is all british media this loving terrible?

:q: : IS IT TRUE YOURE A DANGER TO ALL OF BRITAIN AND YOU LOVE TERRORISM

:newdanger: : "Gives thorough explanation but is cut off"

:q: BUT HOW WILL WE FEEL SAFE YOU KEEP SUCKING TERRORIST COCK?! ALSO LOL LOOK AT ABBOTS AFRO

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Al-Saqr posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhG1ZNxwCaA

Holy poo poo is all british media this loving terrible?

:q: : IS IT TRUE YOURE A DANGER TO ALL OF BRITAIN AND YOU LOVE TERRORISM

:newdanger: : "Gives thorough explanation but is cut off"

:q: BUT HOW WILL WE FEEL SAFE YOU KEEP SUCKING TERRORIST COCK?! ALSO LOL LOOK AT ABBOTS AFRO

Yes

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

DesperateDan posted:

Electoral poo poo through my doorstep so far roundup

An independent who claims he's here to rock the boat as a traditionalist with a safe pair of hands. AFAIR, he's ex tory councillor

His use of apostrophes to show plural of an acronym really really irritates me.

EDIT: Quoted the wrong one -I meant the independent guy

Acaila fucked around with this message at 16:46 on May 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Rakosi posted:

the weird political economy of this is that if the people who would most want that outcome could have their way - big finance, fat cats, rootless cosmopolitans, etc - brexit would not have happened at all

so, don't count on it. count on something populist.

• Locked thread