Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
look if i'm rubbing lucifier's nose in my strength so i can help him in killing god so we can end the endless rebirth of the universe, im gonna do it right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
Do people play Nocturne only fighting bosses or something?

Dante is great for 98% of the fights you get into outside of Lucifer, and he's actually a pretty hard act to follow. No weaknesses, two AoE elemental attacks, a MP sustaining ability and the only Almighty Amp in the game which makes Stinger and Showtime the hardest hitting Almighty abilities around. Until you get Beelzebub, and with him Death Flies, Dante handles the walkaround parts of Nocturne - and again that's a lot of the fights you get into - like a goddamn champ.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/LASTSURPRlSE/status/868370402233298944

Coincidence? I think not.

e: Vincent should shave though.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Nasty Crimeboy is not Vincent he's a good child who canonically wants to get married.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I haven't touched it since it came out, but man I'll always give respect to Catherine for being a game about being in your late 20's and being scared of commitment. More games about the constant anxiety about the future and the passing of time please.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Moltrey posted:

I haven't touched it since it came out, but man I'll always give respect to Catherine for being a game about being in your late 20's and being scared of commitment. More games about the constant anxiety about the future and the passing of time please.

I keep meaning to replay it. I used youtube to everything but like the first five mazes so I wouldn't have to replay them on a second go through but it just seems like effort

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Moltrey posted:

Agreed, but less so about MC's terrible GFs because I don't care and more about finding purpose in life.

Len posted:

I keep meaning to replay it. I used youtube to everything but like the first five mazes so I wouldn't have to replay them on a second go through but it just seems like effort

Catherine features very little gameplay elements unless you like climbing puzzles. IIRC I bought it because I thought P5 would be out soon and I could bide my time at the NYC pizza parlor. The sheep motif and bartender were good themes.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Alder posted:

Agreed, but less so about MC's terrible GFs because I don't care and more about finding purpose in life.

Catherine features very little gameplay elements unless you like climbing puzzles. IIRC I bought it because I thought P5 would be out soon and I could bide my time at the NYC pizza parlor. The sheep motif and bartender were good themes.

it should be an easy platinum at least

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Moltrey posted:

shadow hearts 2 is cool

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Update on whether I was able to get through Palace 7 starting at level 55:
Debilitate is really good. That's all.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Endorph posted:

shadow hearts 2 is cool
[ gif of vince mcmahon swinging his feet off the desk and looking curious and interested ]

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Alder posted:

https://twitter.com/LASTSURPRlSE/status/868370402233298944

Coincidence? I think not.

e: Vincent should shave though.

I would say we already seen Vincent in Persona 3, but that probably only the female path so it not canon (who path should be canon).

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Rirse posted:

I would say we already seen Vincent in Persona 3, but that probably only the female path so it not canon (who path should be canon).

Yes, he does have a small cameo appearance in P3P before they announced the actual game date.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
Wrong thread.
Sorry, P5 thread.

The Gorp fucked around with this message at 09:48 on May 28, 2017

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Len posted:

People are still doing this? How dare Atlus create a new character that adds to the story! Because they certainly haven't just whimsically created/added new characters for re-releases before, ya know like Metis or Dante.

I don't really hate Marie, I just think it's real stupid how secretly super-important she's made out to be. She retcons the entire origin story of the main villain, it's weird. And the poetry is awful.

Metis and Dante aren't really apt comparisons - Metis wasn't retconned into being part of the main plot of P3 in an updated re-release, she was part of a separate epilogue that took place afterwards. Also, Dante is neat.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Marie's poetry is very good.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Just picked up the game the other day and I had some questions before I go any further:

-I'm around May 20th now and my Guts, Knowledge and Kindness are all still stuck at level one, is that normal? I ask because 2 confidants are linked to those stats and I'm guessing others are as well. :smith:

-Does the "show you what everyone did today" function show you any confidants you haven't met yet? I've been seeing a bunch of people hang out with Ryuji, Takemi and Ann but nothing for anyone else.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

-Does the "show you what everyone did today" function show you any confidants you haven't met yet? I've been seeing a bunch of people hang out with Ryuji, Takemi and Ann but nothing for anyone else.
Pretty sure it does since I remember checking that page and sometimes seeing names I didn't recognise.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Just picked up the game the other day and I had some questions before I go any further:

-I'm around May 20th now and my Guts, Knowledge and Kindness are all still stuck at level one, is that normal? I ask because 2 confidants are linked to those stats and I'm guessing others are as well. :smith:

- Each social stat takes a while to level up. I sorta remember it taking about 20 points per "rank" where the points are represented by the number of smiling music notes you get. I don't think there's any way of seeing how much progress you have to the next rank, just trust that the game hasn't forgotten all the points you've picked up. There's a lot of Confidants who have stat gates to advance them, but you'll clear most of them if you're consistently getting 2-3 notes during your activities.

- You may see people spend time with Confidants you either haven't started yet or can't match the stats on, but anyone that shows up on that list should be a Confidant you can unlock. Some party members might not be available to spend time with depending on where you are with your Palace completion.

The Ninth Layer fucked around with this message at 10:08 on May 28, 2017

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

How do you even get the target for sojiro in mementos when his social link is at rank 8 or so? I went in there with all the areas available to me during the time of shido's dungeon, but the target wasn't reachable. I assumed another part of mementos would open up after shido's dungeon, except there was no freedom after that.

Kawakami just stayed at rank 7 to the end of the game too, she was just "going to quit" and I never saw an opportunity to change that.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Digirat posted:

How do you even get the target for sojiro in mementos when his social link is at rank 8 or so? I went in there with all the areas available to me during the time of shido's dungeon, but the target wasn't reachable. I assumed another part of mementos would open up after shido's dungeon, except there was no freedom after that.

Kawakami just stayed at rank 7 to the end of the game too, she was just "going to quit" and I never saw an opportunity to change that.

Talk to Futaba.

As for Kawakami, you need to see a scene at school to get the target. You also need to see her at school to max it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Moltrey posted:

[ gif of vince mcmahon swinging his feet off the desk and looking curious and interested ]
it's a game about a guy who went through a jrpg already feeling like the world and the people he loves have left him behind. during world war 1. the first game took place just a few months before world war 1, so there's a big emphasis on the contrast between how the world seemed back then versus how it seems now. on the other hand, it does work a lot better if you've played shadow hearts 1, but shadow hearts 1 is pretty dang cool too so.

There is some goofy humor, too, but I think most of it lands and the game knows when to dial it back to focus on Yuri's weird wistful feelings.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

May 20th is still the early game, man. Don't lose sleep over it. (Not that Morgana gives you a choice, amirite? :v: ) But anyway...

You can earn Kindness by giving the plant in your room high quality fertilizer (buy it from the flower shop in Shibuya, then the flower shop in the red light district once that unlocks); this doesn't use up your time, but wait until the evenings since returning to LeBlanc early usually causes time to advance on school days. Check books out of the library, or the bookstore, and read them when you find a seat on the train. Every stat should have at least one dedicated to it. Don't sweat the travel guides and such for the moment, you can unlock most of those locations by accepting invites from your friends. Movies at the theater are great on days when Confidants aren't available (they change every month, and are occasionally hilarious). For knowledge I prefer studying at the diner when it's raining, which you can also do in the evenings. You can also get a time-free +1 to a stat by visiting the drink stand in the underground walkway in Shibuya on Sundays.

tl;dr you're fine, and there's a way of enhancing attribute gain that you can get around Palace 3. Also if you don't have a good way of grinding a stat that day, advancing the Confidants who are available is never a poor use of time.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Marie's poetry is very good.

hey you, clown

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Len posted:

Activate super easy mode (press select 5 times on the main menu or something? Can't remember, look it up). This lets you bypass pretty much all the puzzles by giving you permanent multi-block jump. It's a godsend if you're replaying it purely for the story.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Why would you replay Catherine and skip literally all the gameplay, why not just youtube it??

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

precision posted:

Why would you replay Catherine and skip literally all the gameplay, why not just youtube it??

Some people just want to find out for themselves exactly how many times you can sneak into the bathroom to look at Catherine's slutty pictures without losing one of the guys at the bar to their nightmare deaths.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Alright, made it to the top of the no-poo poo-for-real-ultimate-final dungeon. Before I make a move on the last boss, is there anything left I should do to prep for NG+ ? Do the 'torn king of desire' slimes that sometimes spawn with Mara count as a separate entry in the Compendium?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Rangpur posted:

Alright, made it to the top of the no-poo poo-for-real-ultimate-final dungeon. Before I make a move on the last boss, is there anything left I should do to prep for NG+ ? Do the 'torn king of desire' slimes that sometimes spawn with Mara count as a separate entry in the Compendium?

Naw, there is no "Incomplete Mara" Persona or anything like that

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
i got this game and dumped a whole weekend into it without even noticing

why is tae such a bae

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I'll probably just go ahead and try to beat the game this evening, then. Grinding seems kind of pointless, and they lift the level requirement for fusion in NG+ so seems like it would be cheapter to hold off on some of the level 75+ Persona. (Except Futsunushi so I can start reaping that sweet, sweet Yoshitsune action that much faster.)

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Rangpur posted:

I'll probably just go ahead and try to beat the game this evening, then. Grinding seems kind of pointless, and they lift the level requirement for fusion in NG+ so seems like it would be cheapter to hold off on some of the level 75+ Persona. (Except Futsunushi so I can start reaping that sweet, sweet Yoshitsune action that much faster.)

They lift the level requirement only if you finish Strength, but it still costs a shitload of money to fuse anything 70 levels over you.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i like using low level persona with advanced skills in ng+, but unfortunately downgrade fusions are gone so it takes a bit more effort to load them up.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Clawtopsy posted:

i got this game and dumped a whole weekend into it without even noticing

why is tae such a bae
for a doctor, tae sure gets everyone ill off that goth juice, she rules.

Endorph posted:

it's a game about a guy who went through a jrpg already feeling like the world and the people he loves have left him behind. during world war 1. the first game took place just a few months before world war 1, so there's a big emphasis on the contrast between how the world seemed back then versus how it seems now. on the other hand, it does work a lot better if you've played shadow hearts 1, but shadow hearts 1 is pretty dang cool too so.

There is some goofy humor, too, but I think most of it lands and the game knows when to dial it back to focus on Yuri's weird wistful feelings.
oh word? that sounds rad, i can't remember if i've ever even heard of shadow hearts tbh. the world war 1 spin sounds really neat. i personally tend to enjoy a more modern look at those kinda themes in books and games, but this sounds cool, ty

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

People tend to get distracted by putting Princess Anastasia and a gay vampire luchadore in the same party. The first Shadow Hearts game (which was also a sequel of sorts to Koudelka from all the way back on the PS1) hasn't aged as well, but I don't recall it being too terribly long to complete either. Of course you could always just read the LP if you're curious.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Moltrey posted:

oh word? that sounds rad, i can't remember if i've ever even heard of shadow hearts tbh. the world war 1 spin sounds really neat. i personally tend to enjoy a more modern look at those kinda themes in books and games, but this sounds cool, ty
sh2 also has a pretty cool combat system so there's that going on.

you may or may not have heard of them, they're pretty obscure jrpgs and they were all on the ps2. sh2 did okay at the time but it's been fairly forgotten, and sh1 is super obscure.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Oh my god, this (Endgame Spoilers) Igor reveal... the voice change was a plot point??

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Endorph posted:

sh2 also has a pretty cool combat system so there's that going on.

you may or may not have heard of them, they're pretty obscure jrpgs and they were all on the ps2. sh2 did okay at the time but it's been fairly forgotten, and sh1 is super obscure.
i think i've heard the name at least once but like did not know what it was.

i might also be thinking of vandal hearts idk titles

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Oh my god, this (Endgame Spoilers) Igor reveal... the voice change was a plot point??

They had to do something because God forbid you recast the dead VA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I actually thought Shadow Hearts was a mild hit at the time, I certainly bought it just off the box art and could have sworn a lot of people owned it.

My memory is that it's actually a super good JRPG in that it's really simple and not hard at all to play, no bullshit ultimate/hidden weapon stuff (or if there is, it's not bad/necessary IIRC), the plot and translation are easy to follow, dungeons and towns look great and are pretty easy to navigate. The only thing I didn't like much was the timing minigame on EVERYTHING YOU DO but it wasn't HARD, just repetitive.

It's kind of like the opposite of Koudelka, in the sense that Koudelka was almost Unlimited Saga levels of bizarre gameplay.