Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

GaussianCopula posted:

https://twitter.com/Wahlrecht_de/status/868559237114458112

It seems that the Schulzzug (Schulz train) is in contention to rival the Enschede ICE crash as the worst train accident in German history

Eschede was the train wreck, Enschede was that fireworks disaster in the Netherlands

:spergin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
So, uh, this seems like kind of a big deal: https://www.welt.de/politik/deutsch...ialflow_twitter

quote:

Bundeskanzlerin Angela Merkel (CDU) will sich nach dem enttäuschenden G-7-Gipfel nicht mehr auf die USA als Partner verlassen.

„Die Zeiten, in denen wir uns auf andere völlig verlassen konnten, die sind ein Stück vorbei. Das habe ich in den letzten Tagen erlebt“, so Merkel am Sonntag bei einer Bierzeltrede in München-Trudering. „Wir Europäer müssen unser Schicksal wirklich in die eigene Hand nehmen“, sagte sie unter dem Applaus der 2000 Zuhörer in dem Bierzelt.

Merkel bezog sich mit ihren Worten auf die neue US-Regierung von Donald Trump, sie bezog aber auch den bevorstehenden Brexit Großbritanniens mit ein. Es müsse natürlich bei der Freundschaft zu den USA und Großbritannien bleiben. „Aber wir müssen wissen, wir müssen selber für unser Schicksal kämpfen.“

After the disappointing G7 summit, Chancellor Merkel no longer wishes to rely on the USA as a partner. "The times when we could completely rely on others are over. That is what I have come to understand over the last few days," she said on Sunday at a speech in a beer tent in Munich. "We Europeans must take responsibility for our own fate," she said to the applause of 2000 listeners. Merkel was referring to the new US government led by Donald Trump, but also to Britain's impending departure from the EU. She emphasised the need for continuing friendship with the USA and the UK, but said "we must recognise that it is incumbent upon us to fight to secure our own future."

Apologies if my translation is off - I'm running on the fumes of dimly remembered high school German here.

e - here's Bloomberg's report in English: https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2017-05-28/merkel-tells-beer-tent-rally-that-europe-must-plot-own-course

quote:

German Chancellor Angela Merkel said Europe must plot its own course as she plunged back onto the campaign trail 17 weeks ahead of national elections.
Fresh from a Group of Seven summit marked by a recalcitrant U.S. President Donald Trump, Merkel sought to shore up support in her bid for a fourth term on Sunday in a Bavarian beer tent, speaking to supporters of her Christian Social Union sister party, which has been hostile to her refugee policy.
“We Europeans must really take our destiny into our own hands,” Merkel told CSU supporters spread out on benches drinking beer and eating pretzels in Munich. “Of course we need to have friendly relations with the U.S. and with the U.K. and with other neighbors, including Russia.” Even so, “we have to fight for our own future ourselves.”

LemonDrizzle fucked around with this message at 15:09 on May 28, 2017

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Really hate to defend that security theater bullshit, but you do realize that this doesn't really support your​ point, right? Some deranged shithead tried to murder a bunch of people and got shot to death by soldiers, before he could do any harm. If there weren't soldiers or police around he probably would have taken some people with him, using a knife or a gun.

LemonDrizzle posted:

So, uh, this seems like kind of a big deal: https://www.welt.de/politik/deutsch...ialflow_twitter

After the disappointing G7 summit, Chancellor Merkel no longer wishes to rely on the USA as a partner. "The times when we could completely rely on others are over. That is what I have come to understand over the last few days," she said on Sunday at a speech in a beer tent in Munich. "We Europeans must take responsibility for our own fate," she said to the applause of 2000 listeners. Merkel was referring to the new US government led by Donald Trump, but also to Britain's impending departure from the EU. She emphasised the need for continuing friendship with the USA and the UK, but said "we must recognise that it is incumbent upon us to fight to secure our own future."

Apologies if my translation is off - I'm running on the fumes of dimly remembered high school German here.

e - here's Bloomberg's report in English: https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2017-05-28/merkel-tells-beer-tent-rally-that-europe-must-plot-own-course

This has been​ coming a long time already. Germany is planning to almost double its defence spending in the coming decades and doing more army integration on a European level. Fat clown president only accelerated the whole process, demonstrated the urgency of having more self-sufficiency.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

This has been​ coming a long time already. Germany is planning to almost double its defence spending in the coming decades and doing more army integration on a European level. Fat clown president only accelerated the whole process, demonstrated the urgency of having more self-sufficiency.

And it's good. Europe needs to be able to throw its weight around independently, and with regards to the military needs to either poo poo or get off the pot. A mess of token forces best suited to rounding out specific aspects of a US expeditionary force while being supplied by US logistics is no good if you can't rely on the US forever, Europe needs to either build up their own internationally-feared expeditionary US style army that can afford to get bogged down in sand adventures, or consolidate its armies into a self defence force that doesn't try to maintain expeditionary capabilities on a shoe string budget.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Really hate to defend that security theater bullshit, but you do realize that this doesn't really support your​ point, right? Some deranged shithead tried to murder a bunch of people and got shot to death by soldiers, before he could do any harm. If there weren't soldiers or police around he probably would have taken some people with him, using a knife or a gun.

I only meant it clearly wasn't a deterrent in this case.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

blowfish posted:

And it's good. Europe needs to be able to throw its weight around independently, and with regards to the military needs to either poo poo or get off the pot. A mess of token forces best suited to rounding out specific aspects of a US expeditionary force while being supplied by US logistics is no good if you can't rely on the US forever, Europe needs to either build up their own internationally-feared expeditionary US style army that can afford to get bogged down in sand adventures, or consolidate its armies into a self defence force that doesn't try to maintain expeditionary capabilities on a shoe string budget.

Of course that means that European countries have to start buying European military hardware so as not to have their military be dependent upon the USA to even work. I'm thinking about for example the F-35, which is fully thought as a "system of system" to work with the US forces.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

LemonDrizzle posted:

Very nice. Now that perfidious Albion and its colonies are out, the Continent can rise to its former greatness again.

The Belgian fucked around with this message at 16:41 on May 28, 2017

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Cat Mattress posted:

Of course that means that European countries have to start buying European military hardware so as not to have their military be dependent upon the USA to even work. I'm thinking about for example the F-35, which is fully thought as a "system of system" to work with the US forces.

It already seems like this is the case for most hardware other than aircraft, seems like the militaries of the larger countries at least all use mostly European-made ground vehicles and ships. I believe there is also a Franco-German agreement in place to jointly develop a tank to replace both the Leclerc and Leopard 2. Assuming this goes through it should simplify logistics compared to having two or more different types around.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/Slate/status/868854385786355712

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

LOLing at the fact that some angry voters in Wisconsin and Pensilvania could bring about the final nail in the coffin for the Holocene. We are a weird species.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Well if he leaves the paris peace accord it will only fuel the motivation for gloval business leaders to push renewablwa. Geemany knows if it makes an exportable green energy it will sell it to the rest of the worls dor the next 50 years.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

catfry posted:

the ESA has nothing to do with the EU? It's an independent org.

Hey, you're right! I didn't know that! Apparently ESA and EU only have recently begun closer cooperation since 2009, when Art. 189 AEUV started the process of creating a common European space politic. This stuff reads like the ESA is supposed to become part of the EU in the future, but isn't right now.

Welp, that's not at all confusing.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
Is NATO over

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

One can only hope.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
We're seeing a breakup of the West into Western the West and Eastern the West.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

LeoMarr posted:

Well if he leaves the paris peace accord it will only fuel the motivation for gloval business leaders to push renewablwa. Geemany knows if it makes an exportable green energy it will sell it to the rest of the worls dor the next 50 years.

Too bad they decided to destroy a big chunk of their green energy and replace it with some of the most polluting coal in the world then, eh?

catfry
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
I wonder what the British response to ESA merging with EU would be.
It makes sense for smaller nations to band together in international organisations like ESA because it provides their companies and universities with opportunities to participate in larger projects than what would be possible on a purely national scale. Not only is there better scientific possibilities, but ESA projects can sustain specialized industry, which can go on to sell that expertise in the global market. Logically UK would continue its participation, but it isn't impossible to imagine that some of the public would suddenly take a hostile posture, now that there has developed this strong anti-EU camp there.
Anyways, I don't think an ESA-EU merger is right around the corner to be honest.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

We're seeing a breakup of the West into Western the West and Eastern the West.

America can remain the West, Russia the East, and we'll be the Center of the World, as we've always been in our glorious past.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
https://twitter.com/guardian/status/868859355197820928

https://twitter.com/YanniKouts/status/868845655049080833

TRUMP

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

President who effectively shelved the EPA within his first week in office delivers on his campaign promise to not give a poo poo about climate change, the world gasps in surprise about this unexpected turn of events.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 18:25 on May 28, 2017

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

catfry posted:

I wonder what the British response to ESA merging with EU would be.
It makes sense for smaller nations to band together in international organisations like ESA because it provides their companies and universities with opportunities to participate in larger projects than what would be possible on a purely national scale. Not only is there better scientific possibilities, but ESA projects can sustain specialized industry, which can go on to sell that expertise in the global market. Logically UK would continue its participation, but it isn't impossible to imagine that some of the public would suddenly take a hostile posture, now that there has developed this strong anti-EU camp there.
Anyways, I don't think an ESA-EU merger is right around the corner to be honest.

I'm sure the Brits could whip up a strong & stable space program in no time!

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Flowers For Algeria posted:

America can remain the West, Russia the East, and we'll be the Center of the World, as we've always been in our glorious past.

Jerusalem is the traditional center of the world, heathen.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Kopijeger posted:

Jerusalem is the traditional center of the world, heathen.

Jerusalem will be part of the EU.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Haha, I just noticed America hiding in the corner ruining our perfectly balanced map.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

I'm OK with that, as long as it's not Germany in the lead, but rather the cool and good countries like Portugal, Spain, etc.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Jerusalem will be part of the EU.

Yeah Israel is already a participant in the Eurovision Song Contest, so as soon as they have solved their issues of brutal occupation, violent disregard for human rights, and entrenched racial supremacism, they can get in, no prob

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I'm OK with that, as long as it's not Germany in the lead, but rather the cool and good countries like Portugal, Spain, etc.

Yeah Israel is already a participant in the Eurovision Song Contest, so as soon as they have solved their issues of brutal occupation, violent disregard for human rights, and entrenched racial supremacism, they can get in, no prob

So right around the same time as Turkey then.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Australia will definitely get in before those two.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

CottonWolf posted:

Australia will definitely get in before those two.

lol

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Who said anything about Israel?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Europe, the Middle Empire.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

The only good thing about CDU dominance in Germany is that you can count on them to underfund all branches of government, the military included, and will thus have to rely on France for anything resembling a functional armed forces.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

YF-23 posted:

The only good thing about CDU dominance in Germany is that you can count on them to underfund all branches of government, the military included, and will thus have to rely on France for anything resembling a functional armed forces.

As long as Germany has it's currency as a weapon (Jacques Attali famously called the D-Mark the German atom bomb) we don't need a fully funded military.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

GaussianCopula posted:

As long as Germany has it's currency as a weapon (Jacques Attali famously called the D-Mark the German atom bomb) we don't need a fully funded military.

You know you can't shoot coins at tanks, right?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

YF-23 posted:

You know you can't shoot coins at tanks, right?

Historically the guy with the coins wins against the guy with the guns almost every time.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

GaussianCopula posted:

Historically the guy with the coins wins against the guy with the guns almost every time.

Not even remotely.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

MiddleOne posted:

Not even remotely.

I'm failing to come up with even one example where this has been true.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

GaussianCopula posted:

That's why Germany won the war against the Soviet Union 75 years ago.

e: then again I guess that doesn't count. Germany had more of both when they first invaded.

Truga fucked around with this message at 22:24 on May 28, 2017

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

I'm failing to come up with even one example where this has been true.

Uh...Game of Thrones, I guess

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Les fusils ont plus tôt fait de trouver l'argent, que l'argent les fusils.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I hope they put France in charge of this new army rather than Germany.