Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Mahoning posted:

Does that guy realize that Christianity is a monotheistic religion?

Is he a follower of the Old Norse gods?

I don't think he's aware that Jesus was a swarthy brown Middle-Eastern Jew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

PT6A posted:

Please just stop. Your country is full of utter loving morons, who elected an utter loving moron for president. You can quibble about the exact numbers, but in the end, America made its choice, and it chose a man in its own image: an intellectually incurious, bigoted, fat sack of poo poo. All the protests and hand-waving in the world can't change that, until we (the rest of the world) see Trump dragged out of the white house in handcuffs like he deserves.

Fair enough, but not being massively incorrect about who voted for Trump and in what numbers would probably help your case.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

cant cook creole bream posted:

Welp US goons, it's been fun knowing you, but I guess we have to sever contact now. Your countries gross incompetence and corruption has become a bit to toxic.

Seriously though, Donald J Trump!? What where you even thinking? That decision reflects badly on every single one of you. Even the ones who didn't vote for him. In the eyes of foreign nations the average American is an idiot who voted a national embarrassment into the highest office to represent you. Whenever Trump does something stupid or corrupt on the international stage, you do too.

Plenty of people don't like Merkel (mostly because they think that she is to lenient on immigration and refugees. Or you know, because she's a woman.) But nobody can call her incompetent or unprofessional. When she is on an international visit, I never feel like she throws a bad shade on m country. Contrary to that, Trump throws a bad shade on the western civilization in general.

I wonder how the people in Cattanooga feel about his proposal to stop German cars in the USA. He probably doesn't even know that VW exists there.
And he still hasn't understood what a trade deficit is. We export stuff, America imports stuff. That doesn't mean that the US just pays Germany money. It means that you end up with product of the same worth instead. Nobody around here wants to buy American products, because most of them are either overpriced, or junk. So the only way to "balance" the deficit would be to add a tariff on German products, which would just lower the trade in general. That's literally economy 101.

Well would you look at that. A wild dick-wad in it's natural habitat. I never thought I'd be this lucky.

It's Chattanooga, you dummmy.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

PT6A posted:

Please just stop. Your country is full of utter loving morons, who elected an utter loving moron for president. You can quibble about the exact numbers, but in the end, America made its choice, and it chose a man in its own image: an intellectually incurious, bigoted, fat sack of poo poo. All the protests and hand-waving in the world can't change that, until we (the rest of the world) see Trump dragged out of the white house in handcuffs like he deserves.

aren't you an american

and an expat

:allears:

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

PT6A posted:

(Ignores the nationalism, isolationism, and bigotry taking over around the world)

The US may be uniquely in the spotlight when it comes to this but the US is not unique in voting for dumb poo poo. It is a giant piece of a much larger puzzle. You're not wrong in your assessment of many Americans. Where you are wrong is pretending this is unique to America.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Lightning Lord posted:

This is not true, and acting like every American is complicit is actually really bad for the rest of the world. It might make you feel good in the short term tho I guess

Al Borland Corp. posted:

That is incorrect.

sean10mm posted:

Majority of voters chose Clinton. By millions in fact.

Since we evidently need to do this:
2016's voter turnout was about 59% of eligible voters. Of those 59%, more voted for Clinton than for Trump. However, even winning that 59% still leaves her with (around) 28% of eligible American voters.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

And the ones who voted for neither can't accurately be said to have not voted against him. And hundreds of thousands voters who wanted to vote against him were disenfranchised through racist laws.

Voter disenfranchisement and suppression is a colossal problem and may well have swung the election... and did not occur in anywhere near the numbers that would invalidate the point: The overwhelming majority of eligible voters in the United States, at best, did nothing to prevent the election of Donald Trump.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

BTW, I can't vote in the US. So I had nothing to do with this. In fact I helped elect the handsome sex man who his daughter is gonna run away with.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Chilichimp posted:

Well would you look at that. A wild dick-wad in it's natural habitat. I never thought I'd be this lucky.

That feels uncalled for. And yes, I made a typo...

But yeah. I apologize if I offended anyone with those generalizations. As I've said, I am well aware of the statistical facts and reasons for Trumps rise in power. Most of you are victims.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 16:37 on May 28, 2017

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

PT6A posted:

this is actually most of the world, the us just has more nukes hth

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Al Borland Corp. posted:

He truly became president with that tweet

Did van jones's career die yet

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

try the new taco place posted:

Americans abroad are mostly Republicans because only rich people can afford to cross the ocean and buy a passport that's more than rent. And rich people are astonishingly republican.

We never actually interact with those travelling Americans because they're all close to death, and/or terrified of talking to locals.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/TheRickWilson/status/868820609068937216
https://twitter.com/JohnJHarwood/status/868847971395407872
https://twitter.com/davidfrum/status/868838877653553153
https://twitter.com/Shareblue/status/868844565947600896
https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/868854595535208449

https://twitter.com/goldengateblond/status/868652844513017856

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 16:42 on May 28, 2017

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

stone cold posted:

aren't you an american

and an expat

:allears:

No, I'm a Canadian.

Mahoning posted:

(Ignores the nationalism, isolationism, and bigotry taking over around the world)

Not true. We thought that was happening, looking at Trump and Brexit, but then Netherlands, France, Austria, etc. reminded us that sane people can, in fact, still win elections in countries where the electorate isn't terminally dense.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

PT6A posted:

America made its choice by not rebelling and rioting en masse when it became apparent that the guy who lost the popular vote would become president. In 2000. We've been on the Dark Timeline since then.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
As much as it pleases me that France avoided Le Penn, Britain still did Brexit, a quick look at loving Hungary's actions lately, the most likely fall of Merkel to right wing parties, and the overall tribal nationalism on the rise in many country's and tell me the US is the only one to blame.

I will fight to make this country better but don't sit there and claim that the US is the only one loving up. I still pray that we drag he GOP in 2018 to make them pay for Trump's rise

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Lightning Lord posted:

BTW, I can't vote in the US. So I had nothing to do with this. In fact I helped elect the handsome sex man who his daughter is gonna run away with.

Does Canadian customs still accept bribes in US dollars from refugees fleeing America, or do they insist on hard currency?

In any case you're hosed. Europe can go figure out how to be Europe but Canada is locked n here with us.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

PT6A posted:

No, I'm a Canadian.

Not true. We thought that was happening, looking at Trump and Brexit, but then Netherlands, France, Austria, etc. reminded us that sane people can, in fact, still win elections in countries where the electorate isn't terminally dense.

blaming the electorate and not the dumbass racist electoral college

hey pt6a why don't you go up to some pocs who had their votes suppressed and explain why they deserve trump

lmao

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

That feels uncalled for. And yes, I made a typo...

But yeah. I apologize if I offended anyone with those generalizations. As I've said, I am well aware of the statistical facts and reasons for Trumps rise in power. Most of you are victims.

You read about american politics for 3-4 months... a lot of the people in this thread continuously fought with friends and family for over a year about the direction of our country. I know otherwise politically inactive people who were working for Bernie and Hilary's campaigns, trying to produce something better. Donald Trump won the white house without even winning the plurality of the national popular vote.

Him being in the oval office, representing us on the world stage, is about the lowest many of us have been in our political awareness. Take the knife out of our backs and get some fuckin' perspective. Germany, though flawed, is a lot better than America today. Do yourself a favor and start combating the anti-muslim rhetoric in your country before the rubes decide hating Muslims and Turks is more important that continuing to have UHC.

Don't let your good poo poo slip away through complacency.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 16:43 on May 28, 2017

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

PT6A posted:

No, I'm a Canadian.

Oh, so youre essentially an American

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Meme Emulator posted:

Oh, so youre essentially an American

American with health care and no electoral college basically

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

he's not wrong, and if the gop doesn't loving act fast to impeach the best we can hope for is that the history books disparage every one of them in whatever language of the country that takes over the crumbling us in a decade.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Spiffster posted:

As much as it pleases me that France avoided Le Penn, Britain still did Brexit, a quick look at loving Hungary's actions lately, the most likely fall of Merkel to right wing parties, and the overall tribal nationalism on the rise in many country's and tell me the US is the only one to blame.

Right wing parties haven't really gained any ground in germany.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I'm amazed at how many of you assume that all Americans vote. Significantly more than 50% of the adult population either voted for Trump or did not vote against him.

I can't believe I have to explain this.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
"In my opinion[...] it's very possible that[...]"

drat, that is a very soft tone for trump.

When is he going to start using "I'm not an analyst but..."?

Of course this is all because he's tired. After an extended weekend of golfing he'll be back to his bullshit.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Lightning Lord posted:

American with health care and no electoral college basically

and super dire stuff towards first nations

actually who is worse on native rights

my heart says america but my brain says canada

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

skylined! posted:

he's not wrong, and if the gop doesn't loving act fast to impeach the best we can hope for is that the history books disparage every one of them in whatever language of the country that takes over the crumbling us in a decade.

We're doomed to 4-8 years of Trump. The Republicans will never impeach him, he'll get better at hiding his repugnant poo poo, and his base will continue to support every evil thing he does, because they want those evil things... and the raging political debate will continue to suppress action from the center, because neither side looks particularly appealing amidst the shouting match.

Liberal criticism of the right wing movement isn't hyperbolic, and the center-right are very defensive of even the far-righties amongst them. Every argument, every talking point, every strategy, every move entrenches the right deeper.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Chilichimp posted:

You read about american politics for 3-4 months... a lot of the people in this thread fought with friends and family for over a year about the direction of our country. I know otherwise politically inactive people who were working for Bernie and Hilary's campaigns, trying to produce something better. Donald Trump won the white house without even winning the plurality of the national popular vote.

Him being in the oval office, representing us on the world stage, is about the lowest many of us have been in our political awareness. Take the knife out of our backs and get some fuckin' perspective. Germany, though flawed, is a lot better than America today. Do yourself a favor and start combating the anti-muslim rhetoric in your country before the rubes decide it's more important that continuing to have UHC.

Don't let your good poo poo slip away through complacency.

Fair enough. I was kind of an rear end in a top hat there. Thanks for giving me that bit of opposition.

bencreateddisco
Dec 7, 2011

I BLEW $74K IN KICKSTARTER MONEY AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS UGLY AVATAR
There's no reason to think he'll get better at hiding his poo poo wtf are you talking about.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

eyebeem posted:

I'm amazed at how many of you assume that all Americans vote. Significantly more than 50% of the adult population either voted for Trump or did not vote against him.

Its cool how you are equating action with inaction in this post. Sounds like you are trying to convince yourself why its cool to dump 74% of Americans in the garbage can instead of saying anything actually of worth.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Fair enough. I was kind of an rear end in a top hat there. Thanks for giving me that bit of opposition.

Thanks for recognizing it, my dude. :respek:

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Dear Americans who didnt vote against trump: I cant believe you DIPSHITS didnt use your time machine back when the election of Hillary was treated as a foregone conclusion by the media and get off your asses and voted. Anyway, youre all garbagepeople now for not seeing the future and I am the smart one :smugbird:

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

stone cold posted:

and super dire stuff towards first nations

actually who is worse on native rights

my heart says america but my brain says canada

It's probably a tossup really

Chilichimp posted:

We're doomed to 4-8 years of Trump. The Republicans will never impeach him, he'll get better at hiding his repugnant poo poo, and his base will continue to support every evil thing he does, because they want those evil things... and the raging political debate will continue to suppress action from the center, because neither side looks particularly appealing amidst the shouting match.

Liberal criticism of the right wing movement isn't hyperbolic, and the center-right are very defensive of even the far-righties amongst them. Every argument, every talking point, every strategy, every move entrenches the right deeper.

I think it all depends on how brainwashed people are towards healthcare. If people really do accept "Obamacare did this! That's why it costs $90k for insurance and your doctor is using leeches!" then we boned

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I'm Dutch and I'd like to remind this thread that Geert Wilders' PVV was the second biggest party last election among a highly splintered political landscape. Getting 'just' 11% of the votes is still huge for Dutch standards. Another reason why he isn't bigger is because other center-right parties took a lot of his anti-immigration policies, albeit in a less extreme form.

As far as I can tell the only real difference between the US alt-right and its closest Dutch analogue is that they generally don't care as much about black people (most Dutch have no issues with them), it's just the muslim minorities they despise. Same anti-establishment sentiment, same idolization of neo-fascists like Putin (even after MH17), etc.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Being an American abroad with Trump as President really sucks. I was actually planning to move back, I'd sold a bunch of my stuff, started applying for jobs, got a green card for my wife.... then BLAMMO. My (German) wife was already skeptical of the US but agreed to go with me... until this happened. Luckily I got an online job so I can still survive even though neither of us are legal to work in the country where we live. I was so looking forward to living in a first world country again. But any time I'm with a group of people who aren't Americans and the conversation turns to Trump... I feel really ashamed even though I donated and voted for Clinton. You definitely have this feeling like, you're being judged. And you want to avoid being a stereotype. I am quite fat, so I do confirm that one but I try to otherwise not be a complete idiot or rear end in a top hat.

Also, the whole "Americans abroad are likely to be Democrats" thing is, well, I don't have stats but I'm not 100% I'd buy it. For every person who came abroad because they wanted to see another country/culture, there's one who left because "of the government." So you get all types at least where I live. All of my gringo friends are Democrat or libertarian, I don't have any friends here who supported Trump but that doesn't mean there aren't any.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

eyebeem posted:

An even bigger majority either voted for Clinton or did not vote against her.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

sean10mm posted:

An even bigger majority either voted for Clinton or did not vote against her.

Please dont post something that makes sense, this is the Trump thread

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

bencreateddisco posted:

There's no reason to think he'll get better at hiding his poo poo wtf are you talking about.

They're going to stop having press conferences soon and he'll purge the white house of careerist civil servants in favor of rich assholes and idealists who just want the agenda.

The leaks will die to a trickle, and although the press (which is credible) will continue to report every evil and repugnant thing the Republicans do, they're preaching to the choir. Every true and heinous thing that's reported will be spun through right-wing media as a snowflakes response, with alternative interpretations reassuring the right that policy matches their "conservative" goals.

We just saw a white supremacist verbally assault 2 Muslim-looking women in Oregon and kill 2 men for defending them, and have him painted by right-wing outlets as an anti-fa bernie bro.

Even in THAT STORY, America has two different narratives.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Meme Emulator posted:

Dear Americans who didnt vote against trump: I cant believe you DIPSHITS didnt use your time machine back when the election of Hillary was treated as a foregone conclusion by the media and get off your asses and voted. Anyway, youre all garbagepeople now for not seeing the future and I am the smart one :smugbird:

"I mean, I could have gotten off of my rear end and actually voted against the man who confessed to serial sexual assaults, who paid off state officials to avoid being punished for intentionally defrauding the poor and the elderly, who was vocal in his plans to shred the concept of religious freedom, and who was obvious and forthright in his intent to use the office to enrich himself and his family... but instead I didn't, and you're the rear end in a top hat for pointing this out"*

* does not apply to those who had their voting rights stripped and suppressed, who are a tiny sliver of the 41ish% of the eligible population who didn't vote

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

PT6A posted:

No, people are actually making a legitimate point here, no matter how much you want to use the US election to feel better about yourself. Pick any state whose electors voted for Hillary Clinton - the population of that state did literally as much as they could with their votes to stop Trump from being elected. It doesn't matter how many people in that state actually voted, because the ones that stayed home and who would have voted for Clinton couldn't actually affect the outcome. The American electoral system is fundamentally broken and you aren't helping anyone when you try to paper over that fact by blaming Americans in general for a president who failed to even earn more votes than his opponent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Meme Emulator posted:

Its cool how you are equating action with inaction in this post.

A wise Canadian once said, "if you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice."

• Locked thread