Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Isn't Trump also causing a move to have more things done at the state level?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Meme Emulator posted:

Dear Americans who didnt vote against trump: I cant believe you DIPSHITS didnt use your time machine back when the election of Hillary was treated as a foregone conclusion by the media and get off your asses and voted. Anyway, youre all garbagepeople now for not seeing the future and I am the smart one :smugbird:

Lol were you too dumb to vote against trump

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Meme Emulator posted:

Dear Americans who didnt vote against trump: I cant believe you DIPSHITS didnt use your time machine back when the election of Hillary was treated as a foregone conclusion by the media and get off your asses and voted. Anyway, youre all garbagepeople now for not seeing the future and I am the smart one :smugbird:

I know you're being sarcastic, but there's actually a reason a lot of people didn't vote: Electoral College. My state was going for Hillary no matter what. My one vote would've been thrown in the shitheap along with 3 million others had I bothered. I imagine I wasn't alone in that.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Spiffster posted:

As much as it pleases me that France avoided Le Penn, Britain still did Brexit, a quick look at loving Hungary's actions lately, the most likely fall of Merkel to right wing parties, and the overall tribal nationalism on the rise in many country's and tell me the US is the only one to blame.

What is this? Merkel is the leader of the free world now. Is Germany swinging right too? Surely Trumps visit to the EU highlighted to everybody there the dangers of that.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Ekster posted:

As far as I can tell the only real difference between the US alt-right and its closest Dutch analogue is that they generally don't care as much about black people (most Dutch have no issues with them), it's just the muslim minorities they despise. Same anti-establishment sentiment, same idolization of neo-fascists like Putin (even after MH17), etc.

do the dutch have gay frogs too :eek:

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
https://twitter.com/keithellison/status/868822713082793987

By the way

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Paracaidas posted:

* does not apply to those who had their voting rights stripped and suppressed, who are a tiny sliver of the 41ish% of the eligible population who didn't vote

What is this assumption based on?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Apoplexy posted:

I know you're being sarcastic, but there's actually a reason a lot of people didn't vote: Electoral College. My state was going for Hillary no matter what. My one vote would've been thrown in the shitheap along with 3 million others had I bothered. I imagine I wasn't alone in that.

This is something of a weak argument, because people probably did the exact same thing on the other side in red states.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Apoplexy posted:

there is other poo poo on the ballot

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
gently caress you if you didn't vote.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

cant cook creole bream posted:

That feels uncalled for. And yes, I made a typo...

But yeah. I apologize if I offended anyone with those generalizations. As I've said, I am well aware of the statistical facts and reasons for Trumps rise in power. Most of you are victims.

I voted Hillary. My state (Connecticut) went blue and cast its electoral votes for Hillary. My Republican as gently caress suburban town even went for Hillary (while sadly sending Republican representatives to the state senate--thankfully our congressional representation is Dem). Many of us did what we could and would love to see Trump dragged out of the White House in handcuffs with his entire administration.

Jygallax
Oct 17, 2011

Every human being deserves respect. Even if if they are a little different.
Maybe I'm dumb but I feel like Trump completely loving foreign relations might be one of those things that might get republicans to actually get off their asses and do something. Trump's weird isolationist ideas were never popular with anyone, especially not the republicans, and as evil and dumb as they are, I'm certain most of them are aware of the seriousness of what it means to damage relations with allies in this way.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

theres a will theres moe posted:

Lol were you too dumb to vote against trump

??? I voted for Clinton, dummy.

I just cant stand the way this thread talks about the power of money and messaging in politics and discusses the power of manipulation and advertising but then turns around and goes "And all those MORONS fell for it!" or "And those loving Idiots didnt vote despite the constant media saturation telling of a Clinton victory"

Of course they fell for it, its because it works! People in this country are under constant psychological attack through ad dollars and then we call them ignorant morons for falling for it. Doesnt that seem loving stupid? Of course theyre going to fall for it.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/868839945863143425

quote:

Read this. Oklahoma's schools left devastated by years of slashing taxes. 4-day school weeks have kids going hungry. http://wapo.st/2quZWJY

And all of this before Devos.

Eat your young.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

PT6A posted:

This is something of a weak argument, because people probably did the exact same thing on the other side in red states.

old whites live to vote

like i live in the people's republic of california and i voted, so the whole vote doesn't matter thing doesn't make sense to me

gently caress you if you don't vote and are able to and not being suppressed

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man it's dope af that German's are coming in here and telling us how we got the wrong guy into office and trying to laugh at us, like they're not still the supreme losers of the world that we all laugh at for having a gdp so low their children played with their money like building blocks.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Bishounen Bonanza posted:

What is this? Merkel is the leader of the free world now. Is Germany swinging right too? Surely Trumps visit to the EU highlighted to everybody there the dangers of that.

Germany is not swinging right in any way. Right now the main right-wing party is polling around 10% for the September election, right about where the Greens and the main left-wing party are, and way behind both Merkel's centre-right party and the main opposition centre-left.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

also dipshit, if you don't vote because "my state isn't a swing state" double gently caress you because of the downballot

Jesus

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Apoplexy posted:

I was being sarcastic, in the direction youre pointing, and youre agreeing with the point im making. Saying 74% of the people didnt vote against trump, and this is somehow indicative of the wickedness of the American Public when completely normal reasons not to vote exist is bizzare and stupid.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

PT6A posted:

It's not a weak argument. If Republicans in those red states had come out in equal proportion then the outcome would still be the same. Not only does the value of an American's vote change by where they live, in many cases it's also completely valueless. There's a reason people in this thread were so harsh on Clinton's campaign for running up the score in safe states.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

stone cold posted:

old whites live to vote

like i live in the people's republic of california and i voted, so the whole vote doesn't matter thing doesn't make sense to me

gently caress you if you don't vote and are able to and not being suppressed

Absolutely this. I've voted in all but one election I've been eligible to vote in. It's not a big ask that you participate in democracy in literally the smallest, easiest way possible, if you can.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

skylined! posted:

do the dutch have gay frogs too :eek:

The PVV symbol is a flying seagull, does that count?

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

stone cold posted:

also dipshit, if you don't vote because "my state isn't a swing state" double gently caress you because of the downballot

Jesus

Why in the gently caress are people going to get engaged with politics when they feel like they have little to no meaningful impact on anything? Id go so far as to say the system is working as intended, but cool, keep being a shithead who calls everyone a loving Moron because they feel powerless.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!

farraday posted:

Eat your young.

I wouldn't encourage anyone to ever go to Oklahoma for anything but I do have to go there, on occasion, for work. Coming from the DC suburbs, it feels like going to Oklahoma is a trip out into the wilds to collect information about a strange place.

Oklahoma City is a perfect example of the failure of Republican/Conservative ideology. It's miles and miles of dilapidated buildings, industrial rot, garbage strewn across the highways, street lights out, etc. Now their aversion to taxation even extends to funding schools for their own children. Complete and utter failure.

GOOCHY fucked around with this message at 17:07 on May 28, 2017

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

GOOCHY posted:

I wouldn't encourage anyone to ever go to Oklahoma for anything but I do have to go there, on occasion, for work. Oklahoma City is a perfect example of the failure of Republican/Conservative ideology. It's miles and miles of dilapidated buildings, industrial rot, garbage strewn across the highways, street lights out, etc. Now their aversion to taxation even extends to funding schools for their own children. Complete and utter failure.
I will note the opioid crisis is hitting Oklahoma hard and is barely reported on. I live in North Texas* and while it's no great shakes the difference is stark when crossing the border.

*gilded with dazzle around the white burbclaves but there is quite a lot of poverty

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 17:08 on May 28, 2017

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Meme Emulator posted:

Why in the gently caress are people going to get engaged with politics when they feel like they have little to no meaningful impact on anything? Id go so far as to say the system is working as intended, but cool, keep being a shithead who calls everyone a loving Moron because they feel powerless.

Feel powerless after voting then

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Meme Emulator posted:

Power isn't bestowed upon you. You take it or you don't.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

stone cold posted:

Jesus

I looked up my county. It went red on a few things by hundreds or thousands of votes. I was not going to make a difference, and, trust me, I didn't dissuade anyone else from voting with my apathy.

also, Meme Emulator, I knew you and I were in agreement, I was just quoting your post to expound upon what I thought (correctly) would be our shared view.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Wark Say posted:

"Arschloch", "Blödmann", "Possenreißer", "Trump ist ein riesiger Dummkopf", among others (don't know German all that well, so excuse me if I mangled it).

"Unreliable" is probably the most scathing epithet a German can lob at you.

try the new taco place posted:

Americans abroad are mostly Republicans because only rich people can afford to cross the ocean and buy a passport that's more than rent. And rich people are astonishingly republican.

This is an insanely wrong thing. Every single American expat I interacted with abroad was left.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
https://twitter.com/ArkansasFred/status/868857889552830464

I don't think pence is happy trump's back

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Andrast posted:

Feel powerless after voting then

Ok, cool, but most of the electorate decided not to vote instead.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

PT6A posted:

Absolutely this. I've voted in all but one election I've been eligible to vote in. It's not a big ask that you participate in democracy in literally the smallest, easiest way possible, if you can.

this this this

Meme Emulator posted:

how can i make my voice super not heard, i know let me try not voting

-a moron

like, we tried to flip my district and got super loving close, but yeah keep not voting because of "the man"

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I live in a conservative city in a conservative province. There was no hope to elect liberal politicians for... decades at least. And then enough people loving got out and voted, and the Conservative party got loving turfed out of provincial government, and we sent a Liberal MP to the federal legislature. Good loving thing the people around here weren't a bunch of whiners who "felt powerless" because things weren't going their way. "Sure things" are only sure when people give up trying to make a change.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

farraday posted:

Eat your young.

lmbo at the lady chowing down in the window

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/keithellison/status/868822713082793987

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Your voting system itself is kinda busted too. On average, how long did you spend in line on election day?
It's really weird to compare that to here. Voting usually only takes 5 minutes and happens on a Sunday. I kinda wonder how your turnout would be if that was feasible. And yes, I know that the Republicans prevent such changes for exactly that reason.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Apoplexy posted:

I looked up my county. It went red on a few things by hundreds or thousands of votes. I was not going to make a difference, and, trust me, I didn't dissuade anyone else from voting with my apathy.

also, Meme Emulator, I knew you and I were in agreement, I was just quoting your post to expound upon what I thought (correctly) would be our shared view.

lmao

how can I best erode the red influence in my county

i know! not voting!!!

🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Paracaidas posted:

* does not apply to those who had their voting rights stripped and suppressed, who are a tiny sliver of the 41ish% of the eligible population who didn't vote

Voter suppression by long-held republican legislatures is well documented, effective, and they don't even try to hide it.

It absolutely won them North Carolina and probably Wisconsin as well.

The electoral college, as a system, is a gigantic voter-suppression machine, since in solidly blue/red states, many people don't even bother showing up to vote since their vote literally doesn't matter. They SHOULD VOTE ANYWAY because down-ballot poo poo is important, but knowing that you're hopelessly outnumbered in your own home can be demoralizing as gently caress.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

cant cook creole bream posted:

Your voting system itself is kinda busted too. On average, how long did you spend in line on election day?

I live in Rich Whitesylvania, MN. My average voting time was less than 90 seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

PT6A posted:

I live in a conservative city in a conservative province. There was no hope to elect liberal politicians for... decades at least. And then enough people loving got out and voted, and the Conservative party got loving turfed out of provincial government, and we sent a Liberal MP to the federal legislature. Good loving thing the people around here weren't a bunch of whiners who "felt powerless" because things weren't going their way. "Sure things" are only sure when people give up trying to make a change.

Who are you lecturing?

• Locked thread