Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
So I've got 3 demos predators, and I picked up 3 of each weapon from a friendly chinaman. What configs do you like? I'm running them squadroned in a head of the gorgon list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

The only one I don't think is very good is the Conversion Beamer. Being forced to sit still and losing effectiveness against close-range targets sucks. Both the 4-shot autocannon and the plasma turret seem pretty good, although I think I've only played against the plasma one.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Played against a squadron of preds with the giant meltas once. Wasn't a ton of fun for me.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

chutche2 posted:

a friendly chinaman.

Chinaman is not the preferred nomenclature, dude.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Was he inscrutable?

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Yeah the conversion beamer looks like poo poo especially since I might outflank them. The melta and plasma look legit. Might try outflanking with the flamers.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
So now that I know it's staying 7th I've been looking at my army again. I've been steadily assembling stuff and working on painting without looking too much into list building.

So these are the models I currently own. Other than getting some more transports and eventually Ferrus Manus I don't intend to expand much beyond this for a while. The weapons on a lot of these guys are magnetized. Going to work on turning these guys into some lists.

The dreadnought is a peasant plastic one that just has the assault cannon or multimelta and a regular fist.

+++ New Roster (Warhammer 30,000 - The Horus Heresy) [3982pts] +++

++ The Age of Darkness (Legiones Astartes: Age of Darkness Army List) [3982pts] ++

+ HQ +

Iron-father Autek Mor [240pts]: Cyber-familiar

Legion Centurion [137pts]: Psychic Mastery Level 1, Terminator Armour with Comb-plasma and Force Stave
. . Consul: Librarian

Legion Praetor [160pts]: Artificer Armour, Iron Halo, Paragon Blade
. . Combi-weapon: Combi-weapon: Flamer

+ Elites +

Contemptor-Cortus Class Dreadnought Talon [150pts]
. . Cortus Dreadnought: Dreadnought Close Combat Weapon with inbuilt twin-linked Bolter, Kheres Pattern Assault Cannons

Gorgon Terminator Squad [275pts]: 2x Chainfist, 4x Gorgon Terminator, Pair of Lightning Claws, Power Fist, Reaper Autocannon
. . Gorgon Hammerbearer: Cyber-familiar, Grenade Harness

Legion Terminator Squad [265pts]: Cataphractii Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon, 2x Chainfist, 4x Legion Terminators, 2x Pair of Lightning Claws, Plasma Blaster
. . Legion Terminator Sergeant: Cyber-familiar, Grenade Harness

Legion Veteran Tactical Squad [335pts]: 9x Legion Veteran Space Marines, Veteran Tactics: Marksmen
. . Additional Wargear
. . . . Combi-weapon: Combi-weapon: Plasma gun
. . Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier: MultiMelta
. . Legion Veteran Sergeant: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, Power Fist

+ Troops +

Legion Assault Squad [230pts]: 9x Legion Assault Space Marines
. . Additional Wargear
. . . . Power Weapon: Power Axe
. . . . Power Weapon: Power Axe
. . Legion Assault Sergeant: Artificer Armour, Melta Bombs, Pair of Lightning Claws

Legion Reconnaissance Squad [100pts]: 4x Legion Space Marines, Replace Power Armour with Recon Armour

Legion Tactical Squad [145pts]: 9x Legion Tactical Space Marines
. . Additional Wargear: Bolters
. . Legion Tactical Sergeant: Artificer Armour
. . . . Combi-weapon: Combi-weapon: Meltagun

Legion Tactical Squad [145pts]: 9x Legion Tactical Space Marines
. . Additional Wargear: Bolters
. . Legion Tactical Sergeant: Artificer Armour
. . . . Combi-weapon: Combi-weapon: Meltagun

Legion Tactical Support Squad [235pts]: 4x Legion Space Marines
. . Entire Squad may exchange their Flamers for:: Meltagun
. . Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier: MultiMelta
. . Legion Sergeant: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol

Legion Tactical Support Squad [235pts]: 4x Legion Space Marines
. . Entire Squad may exchange their Flamers for:: Plasmagun
. . Legion Sergeant: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol

+ Heavy Support +

Legion Heavy Support Squad [135pts]: Heavy Bolter, 4x Legion Space Marines

Legion Heavy Support Squad [215pts]: Lascannon, 4x Legion Space Marines
. . Legion Sergeant: Exchange heavy weapon for a Nuncio-vox and Chainsword/Combat Blade

Legion Heavy Support Squad [155pts]: 4x Legion Space Marines, Missile Launcher
. . Legion Sergeant: Exchange heavy weapon for a Nuncio-vox and Chainsword/Combat Blade

Legion Predator Strike Armoured Squadron [515pts]: Squadron Command Tank
. . Legion Predator Tank: Lascannon Sponsons, Magna-Melta Cannon

Legion Vindicator Siege Tank Squadron [120pts]
. . Legion Vindicator Tank: Combi-Bolter, Demolisher Cannon

Sicaran Venator Tank Destroyer [190pts]

+ Legion +

Legiones Astartes: X: Iron Hands, Loyalist

Rite of War: The Head of the Gorgon

Created with BattleScribe

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

tallkidwithglasses posted:

FW is announcing what they're doing with HH this weekend and BULBASAUR is an optimist that is still clinging to his templates and vehicle facings.

Mango Polo posted:

His meltdown is going to be beautiful.

ijyt posted:

FW doesn't have the resources to maintain a branched ruleset and balance units at the same time, it'll be 8th wholesale with Legion rules worked around the new way of doing things.

Panascope posted:

it won't be 7th

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

:shobon:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Dear BULBASAUR,

I am sorry that we called you an idiot manchild and mocked you for thinking Forge World would be dumb enough to stake their entire business on 7th edition. You were right to not throw out your templates in a fit of Stanyer-like rage. You can gleefully continue to use them to your blighted, resinous heart's content.

I know you'll be humble in your victory. :shobon:

I think we will still see 30k switched to 8th edition at some point, but not for a long time as the volume of work was simply too much to get anything out in a timely manner. Individual units would be easy to port over while legion-specific rules and some of the weirder wargear items would pose a lot of problems. Too many involve initiative, challenges, etc. Basically, I think this is a stopgap, but a stopgap that may last a couple of years.

I mean, I'll be happy with a tweaked 7th edition since 30k already fixed most of my complaints with the game, but I was really looking forward to some of the changes coming in 8th. If they tweaked 8th to keep challenges, characters joining units, and positional wound allocation I'd be pretty dang happy.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Safety Factor posted:

I think we will still see 30k switched to 8th edition at some point, but not for a long time as the volume of work was simply too much to get anything out in a timely manner. Individual units would be easy to port over while legion-specific rules and some of the weirder wargear items would pose a lot of problems. Too many involve initiative, challenges, etc. Basically, I think this is a stopgap, but a stopgap that may last a couple of years.

I mean, I'll be happy with a tweaked 7th edition since 30k already fixed most of my complaints with the game, but I was really looking forward to some of the changes coming in 8th. If they tweaked 8th to keep challenges, characters joining units, and positional wound allocation I'd be pretty dang happy.

Pretty much. I have no doubt that come June their sales will slow down* from people no longer being able to cross play, and thus being less interested in 30k.

* Maybe not that much I guess, due to the Index books and the upcoming IA.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
They've already got books in pipe for releasing 8th edition Imperial Armor rules for Marine and Guard tanks, no way, no how did they have the time to port over the Horus Heresy line, too. Maybe we'll move over later, but I'll live either way.

Also, cupola-dude, the Heavy Conversion Beamer is decent in an anti-tank sniper role - you park your tanks on top of a hill in the corner of the map and just take potshots at whatever is in the opposite end of the table. Best used with some sort of a bubble wrap unit deployed around them to discourage people from trying to close in. If you have the points, lascannon sponsons add more long-range anti-tank oomph and give you guns you can use if people try and close in on you - you're going to be sitting still with the HCB anyhow, so you can fire with everything you have.

If you intend to outflank your tanks and want them to work in an anti-tank role, the magna-melta is a great alternative. Relatively short range, high power large-blast, this one basically makes your Predator into a Vindicator with an actual turret on it. I'd skip on sponsons here entirely, none of the choices really pair well with the melta and with the main gun's limited range, you probably want to move every turn anyhow.

The Plasma Executioner, meanwhile, is your go-to gently caress-your-dudes MEQ/TEQ killer that also has enough kick to threaten light vehicles. This one would also work well outflanked and it's got more range than the magna-melta, but it's also more expensive. Still, not many things are going to appreciate you dropping nine plasma blasts on top of them (and it can't even melt down!). I'd skip on the sponsons here, too, the turret is expensive enough as is and nothing really pairs nicely with the plasma cannons.

Of course, if you want a cheap multipurpose tank, the default predator cannon is actually pretty decent - it's heavy 4, not heavy 2, so even one is a respectable amount of dakka. Massed S7 is pretty good at taking down light vehicles and you have enough rate of fire to mow down infantry, too. Add sponsons to taste - four autocannon shots and a pair of lascannons will make most vehicles sit up and take notice, while four autocannon shots and six heavy bolter shots (nine, if you get silly and add a pintle heavy bolter) is a storm of shells that should take out marines by just the sheer weight of saves they have to make. Sponson-equipped models want to find a good vantage spot and keep on firing until they have to relocate, 'plain' models are more mobile in the sense that you don't have the same temptation to sit still.

Last, the flamestorm cannon is a hilarious anti-Marine template gun, but you really need to get up close in order to use it. Melts power armor like butter, though. There's a temptation to put heavy flamer sponsons (and maybe a pintle heavy flamer) on this thing, but remember that you'd have toi sit still to actually use them.

Note that the Armored Breakthrough Rite of War makes autocannon Predators troops - and gives all your tanks with 3 or less hull points fast. The latter is huge in the sense that it lets you move 6 inches while firing all your guns in one go (or 12 inches and 2 guns). At this point sponsons start to seem a lot more tempting.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Safety Factor posted:

Individual units would be easy to port over while legion-specific rules and some of the weirder wargear items would pose a lot of problems. Too many involve initiative, challenges, etc. Basically, I think this is a stopgap, but a stopgap that may last a couple of years.

Yep. They clearly couldn't face converting, when they don't even have all the legions out, and now they have to think up thematic buffs that work under 8th for the existing legions.

But I also agree that if 8th is, as it seems it might, be a big success, they ain't going to hold out.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Fake news. Reported for image leeching.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

TTerrible posted:

It is tragic that Alan Bligh had cancer, but don't feel bad for levelling criticism at the company for putting out a lovely product.

Alan was a close friend of mine and he brought more joy to the Warhammer community than your poo poo posting ever will.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
I think the HH rulebook actually represents a permanent fork going forward. Maybe HH 2nd edition will be more 8th like but I suspect we get to keep all the fiddly grog rules going forward.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Ghost Hand posted:

Alan was a close friend of mine and he brought more joy to the Warhammer community than your poo poo posting ever will.

Cool? I said Alan dying was tragic and told a story about him in another thread. That wasn't shitposting. You're a very, very angry man.

EDIT: In fact, multiple people in the death thread (including me) have jumped on someone for making a joke about Alans death.

I'm very sorry that two conversations about recasts months apart are still causing you to lash out. Your Games Workshop connection is incredibly unhealthy and you should take a step back.

TTerrible fucked around with this message at 18:08 on May 28, 2017

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Ghost Hand posted:

My condolences on losing a close friend, but maybe you want to step away from a keyboard for a while if you're going to lash out at insults that are not actually there.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
I don't understand why it was okay to criticize the company's products before the man's death but not after.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

TTerrible posted:

Cool? I said Alan dying was tragic and told a story about him in another thread. That wasn't shitposting. You're a very, very angry man.

EDIT: In fact, multiple people in the death thread (including me) have jumped on someone for making a joke about Alans death.

I'm very sorry that two conversations about recasts months apart are still causing you to lash out. Your Games Workshop connection is incredibly unhealthy and you should take a step back.

Regardless of what you have said elsewhere your comments here were insensitive and unnecessary. Thanks for your concern about my relationship with GW - but I am sure I am fine.

chutche2 posted:

I don't understand why it was okay to criticize the company's products before the man's death but not after.

It's the context in which the criticism was leveled. There is no need to tie the two together.

Mango Polo posted:

My condolences on losing a close friend, but maybe you want to step away from a keyboard for a while if you're going to lash out at insults that are not actually there.

Perhaps you are correct.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Ghost Hand posted:

Regardless of what you have said elsewhere your comments here were insensitive and unnecessary. Thanks for your concern about my relationship with GW - but I am sure I am fine.

What comments? Are you sure you are talking to/about the right dude here?

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Ghost Hand posted:

Jfc

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.
Carl, I assure you, with the exception of one shithead in the Death Thread (who we all dogpiled for being an absolute revolting PoS), we've all been mourning Alan's death, both on SA and in other places, both public, and private. Few of us were privileged enough to have the same kind of personal relationship with him that you did, but he contributed to all of our lives in some way or another. I totally know what it's like to lose someone you're close to, and I know how much of an emotional rollercoaster it can be, and it sucks.

However, jumping down someone's throat, bassically of out of the blue, is more than a bit divisive, and definitely makes the discussion hostile from the get go.

Let's all take a few to cool off, and then, maybe you'd like to share some stories about Alan, or something like that? I can pretty much guarantee that everyone here would appreciate it, and I hope that talking about him might help the mourning process.

Hang in there, brother. Some of us might argue with you on here, but we all value the hobby, and we all know how lovely it is to lose a friend.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
I hope (and would like to believe) that Alan Bligh realized how well-loved he was. I never met him, but he represented the best of not only GW/FW but miniatures wargaming in general, like the Perrys and David Carl. The lion's share of the joy I've gotten from this hobby, I owe to his energy and imagination. I will remember him frequently and fondly.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

I think the HH rulebook actually represents a permanent fork going forward. Maybe HH 2nd edition will be more 8th like but I suspect we get to keep all the fiddly grog rules going forward.

This is my expectation too. Even the model sizes for 40k are changing. It's on thr road to be 2 separate game systems. FW models will have rules in both systems, but the point of the split is to have multiple product offerings that appeal to different demographics.

Killer_Bees!
Dec 25, 2005

I, for one, welcome
our new insect overlords.
Buglord

BULBASAUR posted:

This is my expectation too. Even the model sizes for 40k are changing. It's on thr road to be 2 separate game systems. FW models will have rules in both systems, but the point of the split is to have multiple product offerings that appeal to different demographics.

And split communities will be a downer for a lot of people and I feel will hurt the hobby in the long run. Everyone I have met started with 40k and the ability to use some of your old models paired with resin models was a big step into bridging the barrier of entry that exists with 30k. I will be going back to 40k for 8th because the Australia 30k meta especially up north is stale and pretty much reached peaked transport and huge tanks stage, which was fun for a while but now we have had to come up with centurion mode just to make half our armies playable.

I will happily scale back to just my Mechanicus army for 30k because I really hate 7th edition and 7.5 will just be more of the same. That and I swear if I see another custodes release before the huge range of missing units and characters for the legions i might get mad about toy soldiers and that's unbecoming :bravo2:

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
I'm a bit sad about a potential hobby schism, primarily because I like playing against my mate who does Orks, so we'll have to stick with our house ruled 'Ullanor Orks' fandex I guess.

Frankly I like the look of 8th and will be trying it with my demons to see how it is. I hope they port 30k over to it eventually, but I do say that as someone who has only ever bought a couple of red books.

Does anyone play centurion mode btw? Looks cracking.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Broken Record Talk posted:

Carl, I assure you, with the exception of one shithead in the Death Thread (who we all dogpiled for being an absolute revolting PoS), we've all been mourning Alan's death, both on SA and in other places, both public, and private. Few of us were privileged enough to have the same kind of personal relationship with him that you did, but he contributed to all of our lives in some way or another. I totally know what it's like to lose someone you're close to, and I know how much of an emotional rollercoaster it can be, and it sucks.

However, jumping down someone's throat, bassically of out of the blue, is more than a bit divisive, and definitely makes the discussion hostile from the get go.

Let's all take a few to cool off, and then, maybe you'd like to share some stories about Alan, or something like that? I can pretty much guarantee that everyone here would appreciate it, and I hope that talking about him might help the mourning process.

Hang in there, brother. Some of us might argue with you on here, but we all value the hobby, and we all know how lovely it is to lose a friend.

My apologies to Tteribble and anyone else I upset. It was uncalled fornon my part and I'm just really emotionally raw right now. It's been a tough couple of days and this isn't me. Please do accept my apology. I'll just steer way clear of boards and groups in general right now.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Lord Twisted posted:

I'm a bit sad about a potential hobby schism

I'm not. It is time for us to break away from Games Workshop and follow our own path in a new age. The age of Dark Forge World.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

JBP posted:

I'm not. It is time for us to break away from Games Workshop and follow our own path in a new age. The age of Dark Forge World.

Death to the false Duncan, let Nottingham burn!

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Death to the false Duncan

Hey now, let us not get carried away...

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Ghost Hand posted:

My apologies to Tteribble and anyone else I upset. It was uncalled fornon my part and I'm just really emotionally raw right now. It's been a tough couple of days and this isn't me. Please do accept my apology. I'll just steer way clear of boards and groups in general right now.

Good idea man, unplug for a bit and mourn properly. We'll still be here shitposting when you're healing.

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!

It took awhile to get paint on it, but thus begins my damnation.

Kithkar fucked around with this message at 01:31 on May 30, 2017

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Luna Wolves best wolves

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

PantsOptional posted:

Chinaman is not the preferred nomenclature, dude.

Don't be offended on other people's behalves on Something Awful dot Com

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

You have six months of template use left enjoy the time you have left while you can before it runs out and you can no longer use templates as the rules will be updated to 8th and time will run out

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Bulbo needs to make his lost legion of Raging Blast Markers.

"Do not go D hits into that good night,
Templates should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the marker."

- Templator-Commander Blastafarius.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

ijyt posted:

whoosh

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Bulb is obsessed with templates but I cannot honestly recall the last time he put one on the table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

ijyt posted:

Agreed SA should be a safespace for racist fuckwits. Hell, there might be a Chinese person out there who isn't offended so you shouldn't be either!