Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I have yelled WAAAAGH! once in my lifetime. It was at Adepticon, something like 5 years ago, at the beginning of the group tournament. The whole room joined in, except for my opponent who just looked at me and said "Really?" I shrugged.

We crushed them.

The last GW games day I was at had redshirts stop every game in the hall for a WAAAGH several times through the day. The first time, sure, but the fifth?

Reckon the GW guys had some shady mates in the carpark selling cough drops for a premium

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
The RPG supplements are the best things to read to expand your 40k lore. Dark Heresy, Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, and Only War are fantastic alone from a lore standpoint.

The Slaught are still my favorite. Basically the evil of Dark Eldar but totally alien in every sense.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Ghost of Babyhead posted:

Neat! I like the idea of anything that makes the 40K universe seem bigger. One of my favourite bits of art from a few editions ago is that lineup of minor alien species (which in turn is an updated version of the same art from the third edition rulebook).

Don't bet against seeing some of this in miniature form.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
totally a rak'gol

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Thundercloud posted:

Don't bet against seeing some of this in miniature form.

Alien Skull pack confirmed, £20 for 10.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Just give me 40K Dogs of War and go crazy with the xenos options.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

bandaid.friend posted:

The last GW games day I was at had redshirts stop every game in the hall for a WAAAGH several times through the day. The first time, sure, but the fifth?

Reckon the GW guys had some shady mates in the carpark selling cough drops for a premium

I just assumed that redshirts have a quota of obnoxious poo poo they have to do.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Liquid Communism posted:

GW is going to come full circle and un-squat Squats to make an abhuman faction.

Calling it now.

Have you seen the skycrime dwarfs from Sigmar? They were so close...

The Kingfish posted:

It is a highly funny diorama, but it's creator should be kept separate from the general public.

In all the years I've been posting about hams you are the only person on SA I can recall who wasn't creeped out with it, and definitely the only person to call it funny. That diorama is loathsome and you are unlovely.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

If they turned the Demiurge into a serious "dwarfs in space army" I would love it.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

susan posted:

Great ep :) . Can we do suggestions for the next Book Club, and if so, maybe 'Red Tithe' or 'I Am Slaughter'?

I'd like to read Red Tithe, I Am Slaughter was so boring though :(

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

How are Orks looking in the new edition rumor mill? I still have hordes of Orks and Chaos Marines, and I'm trying to decide whether to push on with one of them or just sell them off and start a new faction. I was very disappointed in how Orks played in 6th and what little I played of 7th, given that I played a green tide army. But I love the look and feel of Orks, in general.

Chaos Marines, I can take or leave...but their models look great. Nurgle has never been my jam, but the new Nurgle stuff looks fantastic

All that said, I've always kind of wanted to jump into Eldar...

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Devorum posted:

How are Orks looking in the new edition rumor mill? I still have hordes of Orks and Chaos Marines, and I'm trying to decide whether to push on with one of them or just sell them off and start a new faction. I was very disappointed in how Orks played in 6th and what little I played of 7th, given that I played a green tide army. But I love the look and feel of Orks, in general.

Chaos Marines, I can take or leave...but their models look great. Nurgle has never been my jam, but the new Nurgle stuff looks fantastic

All that said, I've always kind of wanted to jump into Eldar...

Orks seem to be in a much better place. The buffs they're getting look great and there's talk of a new Armageddon campaign book along with a new model for Ghazy.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Orks had more issues with the core rules than their codex, and the rules seem to be heading in the right direction. Melee sounds like it will be easier to reach and more effective, and their vehicles (especially walkers) will benefit from the changes to damage mechanics. I'd say 'cautiously optimistic' is a good place to be right now.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Please help I can't stop reading the new faction name for dark eldar as the DrewCarey.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

goose willis posted:

Back in the day someone made an overly-detailed diorama of a group of Cadians surrounding a wounded female Eldar, whose chest plate had been removed and was being held by one of the Guardsmen, and one of them was in the process of undoing his pants

Naturally, /tg/ found this loving hilarious

On one hand thank you for explaining. On the other hand I hate knowing this is an actual thing.

Why are so many wargamers horrid?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Sharkopath posted:

Please help I can't stop reading the new faction name for dark eldar as the DrewCarey.

He thrives on your suffering.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

The Kingfish posted:

It is a highly funny diorama, but it's creator should be kept separate from the general public.

I think I found a place for your terrible opinions!

goose willis posted:

Naturally, /tg/ found this loving hilarious

And here's what you can do about it:

SteelMentor posted:

Please gently caress off, there's nothing funny about it. It's gross as gently caress.

hth, tia

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Artum posted:

He thrives on your suffering.

Whose Raid is it Anyways?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

The Bee posted:

On one hand thank you for explaining. On the other hand I hate knowing this is an actual thing.

Why are so many wargamers horrid?

Nerds are overwhelmingly Straight White Cis Dudes, and Straight White Cis Dudes are overwhelmingly terrible.

I ended up getting dragged into a temper tantrum reasoned debate with the other relief guy at my LGW the other day over his firm insistance to use the word raped like it was going out of style.

No one tells these idiots to stop being lovely, and when you try to explain why they're being lovely they react poorly.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Uroboros posted:

The RPG supplements are the best things to read to expand your 40k lore. Dark Heresy, Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, and Only War are fantastic alone from a lore standpoint.

The Slaught are still my favorite. Basically the evil of Dark Eldar but totally alien in every sense.

This is absolute truth. THe FFG RPG books are some of the best fluff ever written for GW games.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Hihohe posted:

If they turned the Demiurge into a serious "dwarfs in space army" I would love it.

You kids :corsair:

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

SteelMentor posted:

Nerds are overwhelmingly Straight White Cis Dudes, and Straight White Cis Dudes are overwhelmingly terrible.

I ended up getting dragged into a temper tantrum reasoned debate with the other relief guy at my LGW the other day over his firm insistance to use the word raped like it was going out of style.

No one tells these idiots to stop being lovely, and when you try to explain why they're being lovely they react poorly.

Ugh, nerd tantrums are the worst. I swear, if people weren't so garbage maybe there'd be more people in the hobby.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

I learned of this garbage diorama on Coolminiornot. If you sort by Games Workshop products it's on the first page with a 9.7 out of 10 rating :jerkbag:

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
"Awsome. Great paintjob, realistic feeling, sci-fi setting. What makes it a solid 10, rather than a 9.5, is how this speaks in a way dioramas has never done before. Great, great job!"

What the gently caress.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Hams are going to get gulaged so hard when the revolution comes.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
One of the local stores said that if he gets enough pre-orders, they'll send him a copy of the rulebook and indices two weeks early, so we should know everything by next weekend.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
My local store is for sure getting indices to look at next weekend. I'll post some stuff if there aren't more leaks first

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

The Bee posted:

"Awsome. Great paintjob, realistic feeling, sci-fi setting. What makes it a solid 10, rather than a 9.5, is how this speaks in a way dioramas has never done before. Great, great job!"

What the gently caress.

For those of you who think this is not art, and who think this is way too heavy for the medium, think a little. Plenty of artists have paintings or sculptures that contain nudity, from the Michelangelo's statue of David to many of Picasso's works. Many artists also portray violent and horrible acts like Gentileschi's Judith Beheading Holofernes or Franciso Padrilla's Rape of Sabines. It is in the portrayal that these are still considered great art, they are not meant as 'cool' or 'funny' like some of you jackasses seem to think. It is meant as a thought provoking piece to make us second-guess what we do. The saddest thing to me is that if this was painted on canvas or done by one of the masters (van gogh, picasso, devinci), you wouldn't call it 'sick' or 'disgusting'. In fact, most of you would probably applaud it as a beautiful and controversial work of art. Please keep up this level of depth Nakatan!

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
The content of the eldar rape diorama isn't funny but the context and fallout is hilarious.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Thank god you can also find some cool poo poo there:
http://www.coolminiornot.com/279249?browseid=1825576

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
I have some unpainted Dark Vengeance DA models. With the bigmarine thing, I'm wondering if I should pack them up and sell them. Doubt they will ever get painted at this point.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

SRM posted:

I'd like to read Red Tithe, I Am Slaughter was so boring though :(

Red Tithe and it's not even close. It's the best 40k book I've read in ages.

I Am Slaughter is Abnett phoning it in, and is book 1 of a 12 book series that occasionally rises above mediocre, but always dips back down.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

GreenMarine posted:

I have some unpainted Dark Vengeance DA models. With the bigmarine thing, I'm wondering if I should pack them up and sell them. Doubt they will ever get painted at this point.

Black Shields or even better.... Red Corsairs.

But yeah I lost the will to ever paint small Marines again.

Was that a new rhino/razorback in the photo with the new big dread?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Coming along apace, still not entirely sure what to do with the base.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Deptfordx posted:

Red Tithe and it's not even close. It's the best 40k book I've read in ages.

I Am Slaughter is Abnett phoning it in, and is book 1 of a 12 book series that occasionally rises above mediocre, but always dips back down.

Echoing this, I'm going through my second read through it's just as entertaining as the first time. Can't wait for the sequel.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Artum posted:

Coming along apace, still not entirely sure what to do with the base.

You could leave it in the state of utter perfection it's in now.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

TKIY posted:

You could leave it in the state of utter perfection it's in now.

Yeah, that stealer is perfect. The only thing I'd do (but this is a personal style/colour choice thing) is one more highlight on the skulls to bring them up a bit brighter. If you're going for old dry dusty skulls that might not be right though.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

TTerrible posted:

Yeah, that stealer is perfect. The only thing I'd do (but this is a personal style/colour choice thing) is one more highlight on the skulls to bring them up a bit brighter. If you're going for old dry dusty skulls that might not be right though.

Edge highlight of wych flesh for the skulls seems necessary they look a bit flat as is. I wish the mini didn't have quite such a furrowed brow because i feel like it should have eyes visible but there's no obvious spot to paint.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

AndyElusive posted:

For those of you who think this is not art, and who think this is way too heavy for the medium, think a little. Plenty of artists have paintings or sculptures that contain nudity, from the Michelangelo's statue of David to many of Picasso's works. Many artists also portray violent and horrible acts like Gentileschi's Judith Beheading Holofernes or Franciso Padrilla's Rape of Sabines. It is in the portrayal that these are still considered great art, they are not meant as 'cool' or 'funny' like some of you jackasses seem to think. It is meant as a thought provoking piece to make us second-guess what we do. The saddest thing to me is that if this was painted on canvas or done by one of the masters (van gogh, picasso, devinci), you wouldn't call it 'sick' or 'disgusting'. In fact, most of you would probably applaud it as a beautiful and controversial work of art. Please keep up this level of depth Nakatan!

The Bee posted:

This is why the diorama is funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Oh, so they gave them knees and an opposable thumb. Science!

• Locked thread