Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

is this the bastard child of earthworm jim and aaru's awakening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

I said come in! posted:

See now here is a quality game I would play.

truly a broken brain man

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

https://youtu.be/VAO7DftIs5Q

Little Witch Academia is getting a PS4 game

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo

Ometeotl posted:

Looks amazing! I love the shading and that they're using the animation technique where they don't use interpolation between keyframes, kinda like Xrd's style. Helps make it look way more traditional.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Ometeotl posted:

That visual style is beautiful.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Oh man, if this is the game I think it is I wish you luck. I couldn't handle it, personally. poo poo's complicated

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh is Cuphead still coming out?

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Let's take a moment to appreciate this face the clipping is just magic I swear

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

They really nailed the art for this, hopefully it comes west.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Quest For Glory II posted:

i beat FF12 and i beat rogue galaxy but thinking of xenoblade's combat again makes me want to take a nap at my desk. whee mashing cooldowns as looped animations play over and over. FF12 got pegged as the 'single-player MMO' but xenoblade is the one that actually feels like playing an MMO, and not a good one

on a mildly funny note i stopped at xenoblade where some of you stopped at rogue galaxy: the prison

I really wanted to like Xenoblade. Everyone else seemed to. But I found the combat to be simultaneously incomprehensible and extremely boring. And that's coming from someone who likes FF12 a whole lot. Like I'd either steamroll enemies with no effort or get completely flattened and there was never any in between and I never figured out what I was doing wrong. It seems like a cool enough game but gently caress it just ain't for me.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I liked Xenoblade but found the amount of stuff it had to do to just be too overwhelming and it's game world was just too big. At one point I was determined to ignore all side content and power through but then I found out that certain sidequests would unlock new paths on your passive skill tree or whatever and I felt I should at least get those but the quests to get them seemed so random, easy to miss and spread out that I ended up just giving up instead.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Infinity Gaia posted:

Oh man, if this is the game I think it is I wish you luck. I couldn't handle it, personally. poo poo's complicated

I've played it before and I really like it. Thinking of doing an LP so people will understand that it's good

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
the first xenoblade was great and the card game owned

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
Is Xenogears any good?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Xenoblade combat guide: is your level higher than the enemy? Make it higher than the enemy

FauxLeather posted:

Is Xenogears any good?

2/3 discs are

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If you can get past it being a JRPG from 1997 with all that entails it's pretty decent but also there's a reason the second disc has a byword for rushed, unfinished games.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

FauxLeather posted:

Is Xenogears any good?

I want to type 'yes' but I'm getting NAM-style flashbacks to that loving tower and Disc 2.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I mean the game is a competent JRPG from that time period, for the parts that are actually finished. But half of the game (or at least the second disc) is watching someone narrate the game's plot and occasionally getting to play one of the dungeons they managed to complete before the game released. I assure you that no one can overstate how unfinished the second disc of the game is.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Lets talk about Xenosaga.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I said come in! posted:

I consider my playing of all three games of that to be a youthful indiscretion.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The way I describe Xenogears to people is basically, "yeah, Xenogears is pretty good, almost great, but don't play it"

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
drat, shame it's not a consistent stone cold smasher but I can't say I'm not curious to see HOW BAD disk 2 gets.

I said come in! posted:

I like how Shion turns into Data in episode 2

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Honestly if you can get past its old schoolness Xenogears is absolutely worth playing. Once.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

FauxLeather posted:

drat, shame it's not a consistent stone cold smasher but I can't say I'm not curious to see HOW BAD disk 2 gets.

I unironically think you can have a pretty good idea about it by playing FFXV.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

FauxLeather posted:

Is Xenogears any good?

i really love what exists of xenogears, the first disc has lots of really cool scenes and character work and is generally really engrossing, with a crazy amount of variety in all the crazy poo poo happening from arc to arc taking you from wandering away from the ruins of a dead village to arena fighting for freedom in a prison camp, to watching a giant robot duel during a war on an ancient city in the sky

and then disc 2 has

uh

have you ever wanted a jrpg to summarize lots of cool plot development to you very slowly while occasionally dropping you in for a boss fight

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I liked Xenogears enough, warts and all, to at least for a time believe it to be my favorite JRPG. Like yeah it's a big bummer that the 2nd Disc is what it is, but the plot still chugs forward with enough big moments that I still felt mostly satisfied with the way the things wrapped up. Just wish I could've played through more of those moments myself.

Ultimately it's still a JRPG with a great battle system and soundtrack and, for better or worse, an incredibly ambitious scope. As well as countless parodies and homages to mecha anime which are arguably the elements of the game that have aged the best as I've gotten older because while I can't take any of it seriously anyone it comes off as pretty funny.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
this is the part that justifies all of xenogears' flaws

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwljgcFyNIM

this and the part where a guy tells his son to shoot him as a bullet out of his giant robot's gun, causing the designer of the suicide bullet to get depressed over someone firing themselves out of the suicide bullet, only for the guy to immediately walk up behind him and say "oh by the way i improved your lovely suicide bullet, you loving idiot"

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
You know how Yakuza games have a recap of the previous games when you start? Imagine that, only instead of cutscenes it's Kiryu sitting in a chair in a dark room a la Jackie Estacado text-dumping the plot for you.

Seriously though, I loved Xenogears when I first played it but I cannot fathom playing through it again in any capacity.

/edit:

The Colonel posted:

this is the part that justifies all of xenogears' flaws

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwljgcFyNIM

Well, that's cheating, it's loving Mitsuda.

Brokeeeeeeeeeeen miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiirror
A million shades of light...

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 18:03 on May 28, 2017

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

If JRPGs went "plot - boss fight - plot - boss fight" for their entire duration, I'd really be into them

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I said come in! posted:

What game is this? I would play this game.
unfortunately just a future kickstarter project for now but I liked the look of it

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Presumably that's the villain saying that

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

he's not wrong

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

To quote the comedian "...but I think the gun helps."

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

FauxLeather posted:

I started Steambot Chronicles and Devil Summoner: Raidou last night and been flipflopping between the two. It feels like I accidentally picked two of the most boring games on the planet to play back to back, their controls and plot progression is so glacial.

I love Steambot and yeah it's slow as heck. But if you dont enjoy the weird slice of life side quest stuff like playing in a band and turning your murder bot into a taxi then you can get out of my face.

Iirc the most fun armor and weapon I used for most of the game came from the arena questline which is pretty early.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Chair scene

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
it occurs to me that there's probably at least one poster in games who thinks people are Spinal Tap style exaggerating about what happens in disc 2 of xenogears but trust us, it really does go to 11

you absolutely couldn't make up something as insane as that game's disc 2. especially insane to the many people who had started JRPGs with FF7 and bought Xenogears on Square's name alone

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i unironically love xenogears even though it got dethroned as my favorite jrpg when i started actually playing other jrpgs

when the game's good it's just such a perfect blend of insanity and actually cool bits of writing

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

FauxLeather posted:

Looks amazing! I love the shading and that they're using the animation technique where they don't use interpolation between keyframes, kinda like Xrd's style. Helps make it look way more traditional.

I wish more games did that, it's a super cool look. Saints Row 4 did it combined with a filter to make the actual 3d assets look like a 16-bit sidescroller for one part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CWc9UJA22Y

You can use modding tools to explore the area in regular gameplay and the only actual 2d assets are one of the cars they use as a prop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcusJ35Bi04

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

FauxLeather posted:

you know that scene from the beginning of ff tactics that everyone makes fun of where it's like

L
I
T
T
L
E

M
O
N
E
Y

scrolling really slow, letter by letter, and you can't speed up the print speed? that's basically the entire twenty hours of xenogears disc 2

• Locked thread