Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

Poland is already a part of the German economic hegemony fuelled by ~globalism~ via the EU, and who the gently caress cares about Ukraine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Missionary Positron posted:

Poland is already a part of the German economic hegemony fuelled by ~globalism~ via the EU, and who the gently caress cares about Ukraine

no country is EVER going to voluntarily give up their nuclear weapons again after seeing what happened in Ukraine.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Germany has already planned on increasing its defense budget by something like 10%, which is loving huge for us, but Trump will manage to somehow take credit for that, I'm sure.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Reverand maynard posted:

no country is EVER going to voluntarily give up their nuclear weapons again after seeing what happened in Ukraine.

Add that in with Libya giving up their chemical weapons programs.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
https://twitter.com/davidmackau/status/868854971713933312

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Excuse me, that's a regular-sized beer down there, that's not her drowning her sorrows.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
That bitch bluffing haaaaaard yeah

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Oh boy, we're going to have to unfuck all oir international relationships again. Even Condi Rice's State Department wasn't this bad.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Excuse me, that's a regular-sized beer down there, that's not her drowning her sorrows.

It's a new beer each pic, she's using for the "5 drinks in a minute" method of sorrow drowning.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Edit: Wrong thread wow.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Casimir Radon posted:

Oh boy, we're going to have to unfuck all oir international relationships again. Even Condi Rice's State Department wasn't this bad.

What happens if we reach the point where a sane president and their staff is unable to undo the damage from Trump?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

orange juche posted:

What happens if we reach the point where a sane president and their staff is unable to undo the damage from Trump?
I think our biggest advantage is that people in other countries realize that Trump is despised by more than half of the voting population. This isn't like Iraq where people were still behind Bush or the idea that they were supporting the troops. If we had a repeat of 9/11 tomorrow I doubt any significant portion of Donnie's critics would get behind him because he's an idiot and the worst possible person to handle any scale of crisis.

Ourside of starting a war more unjustified than Iraq I don't see any dipolomatic damage that can't be largely mitigated over 8 years of repair.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Having experience how the climate was under Bush, I genuinely feel bad for Americans living in / visiting Germany now / in the near future. poo poo's pretty bad after just over four months...

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Casimir Radon posted:

I think our biggest advantage is that people in other countries realize that Trump is despised by more than half of the voting population. This isn't like Iraq where people were still behind Bush or the idea that they were supporting the troops. If we had a repeat of 9/11 tomorrow I doubt any significant portion of Donnie's critics would get behind him because he's an idiot and the worst possible person to handle any scale of crisis.

Ourside of starting a war more unjustified than Iraq I don't see any dipolomatic damage that can't be largely mitigated over 8 years of repair.

The problem is that other countries are going to be much more inherently wary of trusting the US and our political systems. Sure, there will probably be someone who's much less crazy in office in four years. But what about four years after that? Or eight years? If someone as dangerously unqualified as Trump could become President once, what guarantee is there that this won't happen again in the future?

To an extent, the damage has already been done. Other countries know they can't rely on the US, and will be making their own long-term agendas without the assumption of US support-or opposition. Maybe in ten, twenty years, once Trump is a forgotten Carter or H.W. Bush-esque footnote, things will have returned to 'normal'. But that's a long time in coming, and it's going to hurt us severely in the short and medium term.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Anyone can be the president is a good thing in theory, but holy poo poo it does not work with the running of a superpower at all.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
https://twitter.com/FoxNews/status/868885932040212480

I guess you could put it that way.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Tbh, a properly funded & equipped German military would be a huge boon for European stability and deterring Russia.

How? In what way would have conventional German military capacity have impacted, say, Russian interference in Ukraine?

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

Acebuckeye13 posted:

The problem is that other countries are going to be much more inherently wary of trusting the US and our political systems. Sure, there will probably be someone who's much less crazy in office in four years. But what about four years after that? Or eight years? If someone as dangerously unqualified as Trump could become President once, what guarantee is there that this won't happen again in the future?

To an extent, the damage has already been done. Other countries know they can't rely on the US, and will be making their own long-term agendas without the assumption of US support-or opposition. Maybe in ten, twenty years, once Trump is a forgotten Carter or H.W. Bush-esque footnote, things will have returned to 'normal'. But that's a long time in coming, and it's going to hurt us severely in the short and medium term.

On one hand that's true.

On the other hand, we're The Motherfucking United States of America. If the rest of the world didn't learn their lesson after the Trail of Tears, Gulf of Tonkin, Iran-Contra, overthrowing Mossadegh, installing Pinochet, overthrowing Lumumba and Goulart and Arenz, manufacturing Cassius Belli for The Iraqi Boogaloo 2: Daddy's Unfinished Business, destroying economies of countries that don't agree with us or pull the same poo poo we do, sanctimoniously decrying corruption around the world while establishing institutions and laws designed to funnel tax dollars to politicians, generally being a bunch of psychotic exceptionalist pissbaby assholes then when are they going to learn. The US is the home of the internet, and more specifically Netflix. We have all the leverage.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

How? In what way would have conventional German military capacity have impacted, say, Russian interference in Ukraine?

Ukraine is not a part of the EU, while the Baltic states & Poland are. The Poles can take care of themselves, but a proper German military can act as an effective deterrent in the Baltics.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

milk milk lemonade posted:

On one hand that's true.

On the other hand, we're The Motherfucking United States of America. If the rest of the world didn't learn their lesson after the Trail of Tears, Gulf of Tonkin, Iran-Contra, overthrowing Mossadegh, installing Pinochet, overthrowing Lumumba and Goulart and Arenz, manufacturing Cassius Belli for The Iraqi Boogaloo 2: Daddy's Unfinished Business, destroying economies of countries that don't agree with us or pull the same poo poo we do, sanctimoniously decrying corruption around the world while establishing institutions and laws designed to funnel tax dollars to politicians, generally being a bunch of psychotic exceptionalist pissbaby assholes then when are they going to learn. The US is the home of the internet, and more specifically Netflix. We have all the leverage.

A precondition to all of which was the unique post-WWII environment which gave us incredible wealth and power. That environment is gone and if we forfeit the privileged position it gave us, we don't get it back.

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Haha Dolan Drumpf is bad!
*checks 401k*
It appears Mr. Trump is actually good...

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Ukraine is not a part of the EU, while the Baltic states & Poland are. The Poles can take care of themselves, but a proper German military can act as an effective deterrent in the Baltics.

That's assuming Russia does something to trigger military protection from NATO, which would be a radical step regardless of whether Germany spends 2 or 4 % of gdp on their military.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

That's assuming Russia does something to trigger military protection from NATO, which would be a radical step regardless of whether Germany spends 2 or 4 % of gdp on their military.

I was supposing that the US is gonna flake on Article V, which seems pretty likely these days. In that scenario it does make sense for a properly equipped German military to take the center stage in regards to European security & stability,

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

I was supposing that the US is gonna flake on Article V, which seems pretty likely these days. In that scenario it does make sense for a properly equipped German military to take the center stage in regards to European security & stability,

Aren't we the only ones to have ever invoked Article V, after 9/11?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I thought Turkey exercised one of the provisions in it to request air defenses after Assad started firing missiles across the border.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007

Flikken posted:

Aren't we the only ones to have ever invoked Article V, after 9/11?

Exactly, the only time NATO ever got used was after a false flag anyway

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

psydude posted:

I thought Turkey exercised one of the provisions in it to request air defenses after Assad started firing missiles across the border.

They did but it wasn't Article V I thought. One for consultation.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
https://twitter.com/PhilipinDC/status/868877582372089857

Congrats on becoming a banana republic North Korea in record time, America. :patriot:

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

Exactly, the only time NATO ever got used was after a false flag anyway

9/11 was a false flag?

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

9/11 was a false flag?

Can't throw me off the trail that easily, Soros

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Congrats on becoming a banana republic North Korea in record time, America. :patriot:

Holy run-on sentence

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It's not entirely false. The things Trump is doing are definitely amazing, unprecedented, incredible, and extraordinary.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Juche: Now available in orange!

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
DPRK launched another ballistic missile.

Juche!

https://twitter.com/YonhapNews/status/868942283407634432

Edit: Now with 100% more tweets

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Hey, John Miller is back on staff.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Capn Beeb posted:

Juche: Now available in orange!

Ayyyyyyy

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Someone make a trump av like my current one

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

orange juche