Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

no, I am not going to buy someone's racist book to be ironic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Glad to know rev is focusing on the important things in life.

Also who wants some choice schadenfreude? http://mister-mean-spirited.blogspot.com/2017/05/shutting-off-human-existence.html

quote:

:qq:Individualists will continue to be persecuted for not being kind enough. The independent citizen will always be punished for not being nice enough :qq:

this is what loving happens when you don't mentally progress pass 'Smarmy 17-Year-old Internet Libertarian'

EDIT:

quote:

AnonymousMay 26, 2017 at 7:18 AM
I know how you feel MM, it can get depressing. What keeps me going these days, is knowing that others are suffering much worse than me, and that my continued existence might make things even worse for them. Cheer up buddy, there's plenty of schadenfreude to go around still. You had a post a while back about sabotaging the future, and I agree with it completely. I never wanted to be rich, but the older I get, the more I would love many millions. Not because I want to show off, but because with that money, I could consume resources at a much higher rate. I do my best with what I have though, I love creating garbage. I liberally use paper towels, paper plates etc. I don't recycle a drat thing. It fills my heart with joy, to see the dumpster overflowing with toxic trash. Every time I hear about a chemical spill, or nuclear accident, I get giddy! Here's a recent chemical spill in Atlanta, an area truly deserving of it.

:lol: yes you DEFINITELY DONT want money because you're living in abject poverty like the rest of us

BornAPoorBlkChild has a new favorite as of 02:26 on May 28, 2017

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Doc Hawkins posted:

I was not expecting a tweet about gushing 15-year-olds to have a context that made it even more of a self-own, but "xxtreme white christian video game culture war" has done the impossible.

Nothing gets #teens hornier for christianity then that weird kid that lives in the middle of nowhere bragging about throwing knives.

Also lol at "learning about Christianity on the streets". I don't think that Clark Danger has ever been on the streets in his life. Too high a risk of seeing a liberal, I'd guess.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
What was his deal again? Is he the ancap papist?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Is there anything more pathetic then writing twitter fanfiction about how you'd be one of the "cool christian rebels" in high school and gently caress all the girls because they'd be impressed that played with knives like a creep, all because a video game has christian fundamentalist enemies?

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

The Vosgian Beast posted:

no, I am not going to buy someone's racist book to be ironic.

There Was An Extinction-Level Event In 2012: And We All Now Live In A Simulation (Kindle Edition)

so look out for Clark joining the team at SSC

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

holy poo poo that title

"Chapter One: You Are Going To Read 27 Pages About The Protagonist's Mom Waking Him Up For Breakfast On This The Day He Is Coming Of Age"

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Clark has apparently never spoken with anyone who has been outdoors. It is woods, targets in the woods. Targets in the wood is some weird British gentry nonsense.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Relevant Tangent posted:

Clark has apparently never spoken with anyone who has been outdoors. It is woods, targets in the woods. Targets in the wood is some weird British gentry nonsense.

It makes it sound as if he learned about the outdoors from "Sir, You Are Being Hunted".

vv Nice.

Munin has a new favorite as of 16:45 on May 28, 2017

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Improbable Lobster posted:

Is there anything more pathetic then writing twitter fanfiction about how you'd be one of the "cool christian rebels" in high school and gently caress all the girls because they'd be impressed that played with knives like a creep, all because a video game has christian fundamentalist enemies?

While you were studying civil rights

I was learning Christianity on the Streets

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

Race Realists posted:

this is what loving happens when you don't mentally progress pass 'Smarmy 17-Year-old Internet Libertarian'

EDIT:

:lol: yes you DEFINITELY DONT want money because you're living in abject poverty like the rest of us

Also gotta love the not subtle racism at the end there about Atlanta

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

I'm pretty sure that was last week's episode of Doctor Who? :confused:

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
What the hell does Clark have against witches?! Is it the 12th century at his house?

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Yes

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/mr_bones_rises/status/868599517586669568
https://twitter.com/mr_bones_rises/status/868601869991530496
https://twitter.com/mr_bones_rises/status/868602256601395201

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
I want to get off Mr Bones Wild Ride.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Oh man ,,, truly a new intulectual powerhouse.
I had to tweet lol at that because holy poo poo

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

I know a poo poo ton of women into all kinds of BDSM dynamics and I don't know a single one who sincerely thinks women would be better off without the vote. Like there are a couple who fantasize about like, total patriarchal dominance but none of them actually think that would be a good idea to make real

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Improbable Lobster posted:

Nothing gets #teens hornier for christianity then that weird kid that lives in the middle of nowhere bragging about throwing knives.

Also lol at "learning about Christianity on the streets". I don't think that Clark Danger has ever been on the streets in his life. Too high a risk of seeing a liberal, I'd guess.

Clark is fantasizing about a world where the time he went to school wearing a gas mask it totally made all the cheerleaders want him.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like even if throwing knives was attractive, attempting to throw knives and cutting your hands up instead would not be.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Neon Noodle posted:

What the hell does Clark have against witches?! Is it the 12th century at his house?

I'd thank you not to insult the 12th century by comparison to this fuckwit.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Josef bugman posted:

I'd thank you not to insult the 12th century by comparison to this fuckwit.

What's the 12th century done for me lately, huh?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Avenging_Mikon posted:

What's the 12th century done for me lately, huh?

Stopped it being 1917.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

OwlFancier posted:

I feel like even if throwing knives was attractive, attempting to throw knives and cutting your hands up instead would not be.

It's deeply revealing of how little the dude understands the mechanics of knife throwing, yeah.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
https://twitter.com/NuclearTakes/status/869251331734859776

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

And I'm proud to be an American, where two is less than three

And I won't forget that no one died jet fuel can't melt beams

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Carlgon is utterly baffled by the concept of dominoes.

Claims all domino videos are fake, impossible.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
No one tell him that more than 3 buildings were destroyed when two huge towers in the middle of a dense city fell down

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
https://twitter.com/Optifix/status/869210983000141824

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I love the part where he asks why NORAD didn't identify the threat, as if they would suddenly realize that the commercial traffic looked kinda unusual that day and instantly scramble fighters loaded with missiles and cannon shells within a few minutes.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
https://twitter.com/BigBowlOfChili/status/869265736920956928

Gitro
May 29, 2013
I've binged the poo poo out of Contrapoints's videos (so good), and at one point some response to his non-binary genders vid came up in the sidebar and I decided you know what, gently caress it. Intellectual rigour means exposing yourself to different opinions and all that. This is the relevant part of the video, watch for a couple minutes if for some reason you want to know what I'm blabbing about, but the summary is that this dude is pulling up a study to demonstrate that science, even if research on non-binary genders is lacking, considers gender to be binary. And he manages to so obviously completely contradict his actual point I feel like I'm missing something.

The study he picked to support this point displays sex and gender as a loving spectrum. He even says "[there are gradients] of masculine and feminine, it's still a loving binary." But isn't that exactly what a binary system isn't? Am I missing some sort of technical definition? From what I can google and like, knowledge of what the word means, surely a binary system is one in which only two states exist. Like temperature isn't binary, because it's not just hot and cold or 0 or 100, and you wouldn't say pain is binary because something either hurts or doesn't. Regardless, if genders can exist on a spectrum between male and female, why can't that mean there are mid points that are neither definitely male or female, perhaps an expression of gender that does not neatly fall into either category, a 'non-binary' gender, if you will.

And then he goes on to use tallness as an analogy and it's just aaah, you picked something that is defined solely in relative terms when you're supposedly talking about this fixed, natural system and also there's a million ways to describe height beyond 'he tall' or 'he short'.

Summary: I am convinced I just saw someone make a video completely refuting their own point. I can't make sense of it, feel like I'm going crazy for missing something glaringly obvious.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Gitro posted:

I've binged the poo poo out of Contrapoints's videos (so good), and at one point some response to his non-binary genders vid came up in the sidebar and I decided you know what, gently caress it. Intellectual rigour means exposing yourself to different opinions and all that. This is the relevant part of the video, watch for a couple minutes if for some reason you want to know what I'm blabbing about, but the summary is that this dude is pulling up a study to demonstrate that science, even if research on non-binary genders is lacking, considers gender to be binary. And he manages to so obviously completely contradict his actual point I feel like I'm missing something.

The study he picked to support this point displays sex and gender as a loving spectrum. He even says "[there are gradients] of masculine and feminine, it's still a loving binary." But isn't that exactly what a binary system isn't? Am I missing some sort of technical definition? From what I can google and like, knowledge of what the word means, surely a binary system is one in which only two states exist. Like temperature isn't binary, because it's not just hot and cold or 0 or 100, and you wouldn't say pain is binary because something either hurts or doesn't. Regardless, if genders can exist on a spectrum between male and female, why can't that mean there are mid points that are neither definitely male or female, perhaps an expression of gender that does not neatly fall into either category, a 'non-binary' gender, if you will.

And then he goes on to use tallness as an analogy and it's just aaah, you picked something that is defined solely in relative terms when you're supposedly talking about this fixed, natural system and also there's a million ways to describe height beyond 'he tall' or 'he short'.

Summary: I am convinced I just saw someone make a video completely refuting their own point. I can't make sense of it, feel like I'm going crazy for missing something glaringly obvious.

Sounds like he doesn't know what gender nonbinary means and is actually thinking about third gender without realizing it, while also also being kinda dumb

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Gitro posted:

He appears to be conflating the idea of binary with the idea of category.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Surprisingly, someone who feels uncomfortable about people violating gender norms has not spent a lot of time considering gender and its definitions. Dude wants an easy way to shut down the discussion/behavior because it gives him bad feelings, so he just looks for the first thing that resembles an authority that agrees with him and throws it in.

People who are freaking out are very bad at being rational, it turns out.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Yeah that all makes sense I guess, it's just he dickwags about having a philosophy PhD at the start and it's hard to believe that someone who ostensibly knows how to construct an argument doesn't realise what he's saying contradicts the point he's making as he's saying it. It's just :psyboom:

I didn't expect any amazing insights but I didn't expect that. He also says that for 10k+ years only two genders have served us fine, which is objectively false but hey, if reality was what he thought it was on that last point he'd be somewhat correct to assert it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

chitoryu12 posted:

I love the part where he asks why NORAD didn't identify the threat, as if they would suddenly realize that the commercial traffic looked kinda unusual that day and instantly scramble fighters loaded with missiles and cannon shells within a few minutes.

Yeah, I love the idea that NORAD somehow has the flight plan for every single plane taking off and landing in the US. And that a plane being in the general area of at least three major airports is super unusual.

When I lived in the city I used to sit on the patio at a bar and watch 747's come in low over brooklyn, it happens all the time every single day.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Gitro posted:

Yeah that all makes sense I guess, it's just he dickwags about having a philosophy PhD at the start and it's hard to believe that someone who ostensibly knows how to construct an argument doesn't realise what he's saying contradicts the point he's making as he's saying it. It's just :psyboom:

I didn't expect any amazing insights but I didn't expect that. He also says that for 10k+ years only two genders have served us fine, which is objectively false but hey, if reality was what he thought it was on that last point he'd be somewhat correct to assert it.

"As a philosophy PhD let me tell you about how the appeal to tradition is actually cool and good when I do it"

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

ate all the Oreos posted:

"As a philosophy PhD let me tell you about how the appeal to tradition is actually cool and good when I do it"

I've got a bachelor's in Philosophy and the bizarre conservatism of the discipline was a huge factor in my not going any further with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

The most charitable I can be is that he's talking about gender as an analytical framework, and NOT really the social construct and enforcement side of things where everyone goes in one bucket or the other. He's attacking the idea that we need more words and terminology for non-binary things, instead of just using the words we've got.