Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Rooney McNibnug posted:

There are a lot of features in EMET that aren't being rolled into Win10: https://insights.sei.cmu.edu/cert/2016/11/windows-10-cannot-protect-insecure-applications-like-emet-can.html

e: I guess they extended EOL into 2018 at least.

Cool, thank you. Lol at not including untrusted font blocking in the OS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

hackbunny posted:

this is mega retarded. giga retarded even. think about what you just wrote and then throw your computer in the trash. what an idiotic thing to say, I'm not even attempting to refute this ridiculous assertion. what is it about security that makes people into the smartest idiots on earth

to be fair it's not like our other organs are significantly more secure than that and can't be targeted and knocked permanently offline, remotely ...

and this remotely exploitable vulnerability is something like centuries old at this point and there is still no comprehensive fix available!

more than anything this shows there's this disturbing idea of "if I murder someone by messing with their pacemaker then that's not really murder if I only murder them for their own benefit" that only a computer person would argue for

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
i don't think anyone here would argue that sshing to a pacemaker and disabling whatever cron job calls heartbeat.py isn't murder regardless of circumstances

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
an invisible, immaterial weapon that requires no physical contact and goes through skin and clothes leaving them intact and requires no physical exertion and can't be defended against: exactly the same thing as stabbing someone through the heart

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

hackbunny posted:

an invisible, immaterial weapon that requires no physical contact and goes through skin and clothes leaving them intact and requires no physical exertion and can't be defended against: exactly the same thing as stabbing someone through the heart

Nobody is saying this.

ymgve posted:

Maybe they could make some two-tier system, where skin contact programming requires no auth, but wireless programming requires some kind of authentication.

edit: Reading the article, it seems like programmers already do something like this - requires skin contact programming to read a device key which is then used for wireless programming.

Instant Grat posted:

I read the argument a while ago that if someone wants to kill you by reprogramming the pacemaker, and they have to get close enough to do it that they'd be able to stab you to death anyway, extra authentication and poo poo on the pacemaker isn't gonna save your life

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Nobody is saying this.

you loving imbecile don't ever "actually" or quote me again

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

hackbunny posted:

Calm down.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

hackbunny posted:

nice meltdown

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

hackbunny posted:

cool

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
i think this whole discussion is the plot to one of the iron man movies

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Cool, thank you. Lol at not including untrusted font blocking in the OS

That quoted table is out of date. Font blocking came in a later version (not sure which) of Win10: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/threat-protection/block-untrusted-fonts-in-enterprise

The EAF list is also a hard-coded list of known targeted functions, which is why it periodically breaks Chrome, and the list is not well-maintained because it's whack-a-mole, as is the HeapSpray list.

The one I truly miss is ASR, because Flash and Java are still way more commonly installed than they need to be.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

vOv posted:

isn't that just a question of transmitter power though, or is there a distance-bounding protocol somewhere?
That's the important question with the "skin contact programming". If it truly requires contact with bare skin, particularly if it needs to be over a specific area where the person would definitely notice then it's not really a huge deal. If it's something where a high powered radio device can overcome the contact requirement, even extending the range to a few feet, it's a big problem. It seems from the limited description in the article that the devices they looked at are more towards the latter end of the spectrum.

In either case those who say you could just stab the person are missing the point. Stabbing tends to create a scene, leave evidence, etc. Reconfiguring a pacemaker could look just like a hardware failure or simply a known questionable heart giving up, depending on what sorts of audit logging these devices actually keep.

Imagine a gold digging spouse or just a pissed off lover reprogramming a pacemaker while the victim sleeps. An "evil maid" works pretty much the same way. Depending on how much time the initial authentication takes and the range at which it works an attacker might even just be able to bump in to the target or stand near them in a crowd, then they'd be able to do the rest from a moderate distance.

Stabbing is generally easier to do, but a lot harder to get away with.

quote:

also my favorite part of that eaglesoft video is the godawful ui that looks like a desk
This is even a revised UI they released a few years ago. The previous version has a more '90s looking office. Microsoft Bob will live forever in the minds of some software designers, apparently.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

wolrah posted:

In either case those who say you could just stab the person are missing the point. Stabbing tends to create a scene, leave evidence, etc. Reconfiguring a pacemaker could look just like a hardware failure or simply a known questionable heart giving up, depending on what sorts of audit logging these devices actually keep.

now imagine the programming device being compromised by some internet of poo poo connection too

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Cocoa Crispies posted:

now imagine the programming device being compromised by some internet of poo poo connection too

Which is another point I've seen brought up by other people looking at these sorts of things. The home monitoring/programming gateway, which is generally internet connected, might also be full of vulnerabilities. No need to break in to the device's authentication system if you just break in to a device that's already been authenticated.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
how would a wireless device specifically require skin contact to reprogram anyway? even if it only picks up signals from at most a foot away, that's a big difference from actually requiring skin contact

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

rjmccall posted:

how would a wireless device specifically require skin contact to reprogram anyway? even if it only picks up signals from at most a foot away, that's a big difference from actually requiring skin contact

ymgve posted:

edit: Reading the article, it seems like programmers already do something like this - requires skin contact programming to read a device key which is then used for wireless programming.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

rjmccall posted:

capacitative sensor and near field rf with timing sensitivity

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

hackbunny posted:

I was actually thinking something like a .17 from 400 yards away

flat trajectory and low recoil == easy mode FTW for script kiddies wanting to troll someone's heart

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

whatever happened to body area networks, anyway

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

duTrieux. posted:

whatever happened to body area networks, anyway

turned out you could put all the functionality you wanted into the phone by itself, maybe a phone and a watch

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Max Facetime posted:

I was actually thinking something like a .17 from 400 yards away

flat trajectory and low recoil == easy mode FTW for script kiddies wanting to troll someone's heart

yes all the times people hang out places with a clear line of sight four football fields away

also at 400 yards your looking like ten feet of drop on 17hmr lol

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

fishmech posted:

turned out you could put all the functionality you wanted into the phone by itself, maybe a phone and a watch

and headphones

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

rjmccall posted:

iirc they use tight magnetic coupling with loop antennae instead of electromagnetic coupling because being embedded inside the big bag of variable arrangements of lovely dielectric material that is the human body really fucks with monopole and dipole antenna designs. doubly so when dealing the horrible transmit powers the implants manage.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

At the end of the day, I can still go back and rewatch the first few seasons of Archer and laugh my rear end off. I can't say that about the most recent seasons. That doesn't mean they're not entertaining in their own way, just not what brought me to Archer originally.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

rafikki posted:

At the end of the day, I can still go back and rewatch the first few seasons of Archer and laugh my rear end off. I can't say that about the most recent seasons. That doesn't mean they're not entertaining in their own way, just not what brought me to Archer originally.

what

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

the right post in the wrong thread

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44uYz6PuTj0

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Cocoa Crispies posted:

capacitative sensor and near field rf with timing sensitivity

capacitative sensor sounds like a protection against accidental mis-use, not malicious, since it's presumably only enforced in the programmer. or is it reading some bio signal and using that to "authenticate" with the implant?

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

whoops

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

wolrah posted:

Imagine a gold digging spouse or just a pissed off lover reprogramming a pacemaker while the victim sleeps. An "evil maid" works pretty much the same way. Depending on how much time the initial authentication takes and the range at which it works an attacker might even just be able to bump in to the target or stand near them in a crowd, then they'd be able to do the rest from a moderate distance.

Stabbing is generally easier to do, but a lot harder to get away with.

the other thing is that depending on how programmable those things are you might be able to make them keep working for a couple days and then stop, at which point you've got no chance in hell of identifying who did it

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
check /var/log?

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

vOv posted:

the other thing is that depending on how programmable those things are you might be able to make them keep working for a couple days and then stop, at which point you've got no chance in hell of identifying who did it

Hmm, this guy died after someone change the firmware on his pacemaker and his son ( who stands to inherit ) is an embedded developer.

Nope mystery, guess we'll never know.

Unless of course you think it's likely that someone would put the effort into finding someone in the .001% of the population who are paced, find out which model they have and then following them round with a big gently caress off attenna

This is getting as bad the grey thread.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

this is if you can do unauthed reprogramming, if you have to auth then that obviously makes it harder because you can look at who changed it, figure out if their credentials got stolen, etc.

jre posted:

Unless of course you think it's likely that someone would put the effort into finding someone in the .001% of the population who are paced, find out which model they have and then following them round with a big gently caress off attenna

this is a good point though, my bad. i was more thinking of 'someone just wants to kill random people and get away with it' than 'someone with a motive wants to target a specific person'

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Not sure what my current home reporting device does under the hood but it's not connected to my home internet, and the previous one just used a direct phone connection (complete with loud 28K modem sounds when it connected). I also haven't seen any doctor programming devices being connected via wired networking but there are probably some stupid vendors that make them wifi compatible with all the issues that will cause.

To get around the "just crank the power of the transmitter to 1000x" issue, you could probably do some extreme low-latency stuff in the initial handshake - like you'd need to overcome the speed of light if you want to do anything from more than a few inches away.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

jre posted:

this isn't really a threat for most people but it's something that organizations charged with protecting important individuals (who may have multiple news stories written about their pacemakers) may need to consider.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

jre posted:

Hmm, this guy died after someone change the firmware on his pacemaker and his son ( who stands to inherit ) is an embedded developer.

Nope mystery, guess we'll never know.

a 51-year-old man sits behind a desk, well-dressed but disheveled. on the wall is a framed portrait of a stern-looking elderly man in the door of an imposing manor house. a towering stack of letters on the desk nearly reaches the man's eyes; we can clearly see they are gambling debts. his right hand holds a wrench, which he is attempting to use to fasten a two-foot satellite tv antenna to a belt. his attention seems to flit desperately between that and a dense technical book, held in his left hand, entitled "learn systems programming for the MSP 430F1611 in just 15 days". he sighs and looks up at the camera. "there's got to be a better way!"

like, y'know, buying a device that he can stick behind a chair

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

jre posted:

guy with heart problem dies of heart problem doesn't usually get csi cyber called

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

PCjr sidecar posted:

guy with heart problem dies of heart problem doesn't usually get csi cyber called

actually one with a pacemaker would probably get a rudimentary private forensic analysis because pacemaker companies are probably really interested in figuring out why their device didn't save the owner

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

One thing that comes to mind with a PRINGLE CAN PACEMAKER HACK, assuming there's a handshake protocol, just how the poo poo is the device going to talk loud enough to respond to these super powered far away antennas?

I would think that these things have a super limited range having to transmit through meat/skin to begin with, I just don't see the signal being good for anything other than extreme close range.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 01:54 on May 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

ymgve posted:

Not sure what my current home reporting device does under the hood but it's not connected to my home internet, and the previous one just used a direct phone connection (complete with loud 28K modem sounds when it connected). I also haven't seen any doctor programming devices being connected via wired networking but there are probably some stupid vendors that make them wifi compatible with all the issues that will cause.

To get around the "just crank the power of the transmitter to 1000x" issue, you could probably do some extreme low-latency stuff in the initial handshake - like you'd need to overcome the speed of light if you want to do anything from more than a few inches away.

yeah there's a pretty simple distance-bounding protocol of just 'generate a random 128-bit sequence, send it, and require the receiver to send it back within N nanolightseconds'

• Locked thread