Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

farraday posted:

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/868839945863143425

And all of this before Devos.

Eat your young.

Last year's Oklahoma Teacher of the Year is leaving to go teach in Texas because he can't afford to be a teacher in Oklahoma anymore. Way to suck that oil dick, Mary!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

Paracaidas posted:

Including in the post-war American South!

Yeah fair point, it's often more typical even for republics to be window dressing for minority rule based upon violence.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/JoshMBlackman/status/868593424303362051
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/868892589994512384
https://twitter.com/RVAwonk/status/868656471130730496

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

So are coat of arms like vanity plates and just something (stupid) people pay the gov. for?

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by

Would this have any practical effect given that Trump can give Kushner any information he wants and it immediately becomes declassified?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Paracaidas posted:

In what way does recognizing that the overwhelming majority of Americans in no way opposed Trump's election diminish the role the electoral college played in his victory?

Because it implies that their votes could have actually been used to oppose his election when in reality they had no power at all? I didn't write Emmanuel Macron's name on a piece of paper and set it on fire, so I guess I secretly supported Le Pen in spite of being an American citizen with no ability to influence French elections.

I mean, come on, dude. We both know that you are correct in the most technical way possible that the majority of Americans did not vote for Hillary Clinton, but that's also not a point that was ever in contention. The implication was that by not voting the people who stayed home enabled Donald Trump's presidency. This isn't true unless non-voters skew more Democratic than those who voted, and even then it's only meaningful in a handful of states.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

AstheWorldWorlds posted:

It's counter intuitive but you have a greater latitude in terms of saving folks in a foreign nation vs. getting trapped in the same empire that pursues racism as a matter of policy. The deciding factor is to what extent you think the right wing will be able to succeed in spreading that across the union, and I think they have been rather successful and their major victories are yet to come.

Just like all those people we've saved in Syria? Right? Or Ukraine. How about the persecuted minorities in Russia?

Oh well, I mean at least things wouldn't be bad for the minorities in the newly left states. I mean, look at Canada, they're a model of how minorities are treated. Just ask the natives!

You're a fool if you think balkanization will lead to anything but more misery for those stuck in Mississippi or elsewhere.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Paradoxish posted:

Because it implies that their votes could have actually been used to oppose his election when in reality they had no power at all? I didn't write Emmanuel Macron's name on a piece of paper and set it on fire, so I guess I secretly supported Le Pen in spite of being an American citizen with no ability to influence French elections.

I mean, come on, dude. We both know that you are correct in the most technical way possible that the majority of Americans did not vote for Hillary Clinton, but that's also not a point that was ever in contention. The implication was that by not voting the people who stayed home enabled Donald Trump's presidency. This isn't true unless non-voters skew more Democratic than those who voted, and even then it's only meaningful in a handful of states.

6 million fewer people voted for Clinton than voted for Obama in 2012.

Those 6 million people staying home or whatever it was they did instead of vote most certainly did shape the outcome of the election. They're not as responsible as Trump's own voter base but whether it was because they thought Clinton would sweep or they just didn't like her they share some partial responsibility.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

you could start by

loving

VOTING

I get that Trump Term 2 is promising FEMA gulags for all Muslims and nuking North Korea, but the democratic candidate just doesn't enthuse me, you know?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

TheKingofSprings posted:

Those 6 million people staying home or whatever it was they did instead of vote most certainly did shape the outcome of the election. They're not as responsible as Trump's own voter base but whether it was because they thought Clinton would sweep or they just didn't like her they share some partial responsibility.

And because of this responsibility, (they should be/we should) __________________________.

Like, what's the point? Help me out here. Why is this conversation worth having?

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Paradoxish posted:

And this is only a meaningful statement if those Americans who did not vote to stop him could have influenced the outcome of the election. This entire argument only serves to diminish the role that the electoral college system played in Trump's victory.

You are totally correct if what you're saying is that low voter turnout on the left caused the Electoral College to be sadly relevant. The lesson we need to learn here is to never let that happen again. gently caress, I'd be happier (though still miserable) if Trump won the popular vote as well. Now it's just a sad reminder of how our Founding Fathers rigged elections to keep Populists from winning. Ironically, it caused us to get a :airquote: Populist :airquote:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Hallucinogenic Toreador posted:

Would this have any practical effect given that Trump can give Kushner any information he wants and it immediately becomes declassified?

Declassification of information would legally make it subject to FIOA though. It isn't something to do flippantly because it would cause massive problems in exchange for minor inconvenience.

Which sadly probably increases the odds that trump will do it.

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Just like all those people we've saved in Syria? Right? Or Ukraine. How about the persecuted minorities in Russia?

Oh well, I mean at least things wouldn't be bad for the minorities in the newly left states. I mean, look at Canada, they're a model of how minorities are treated. Just ask the natives!

You're a fool if you think balkanization will lead to anything but more misery for those stuck in Mississippi or elsewhere.

In such a scenario it'd be considered a refugee type of scenario in an environment where the neighbors/rivals have both ideological and pragmatic reasons to relieve the suffering of folks. I doubt it'd shake out in such a way, but it's a superior outcome to the presently most realistic trajectory which is increasingly more radical right wing rule with little to no effective opposition.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Blue Footed Booby posted:

And because of this responsibility, (they should be/we should) __________________________.

Like, what's the point? Help me out here. Why is this conversation worth having?

They should loving vote and never not vote, for starters.

Suggesting the actual thing I think they should do is probably bannable or worse so I can't really say it.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not read a single post in this thread except embedded tweets until I can stop scrolling and not immediately see election arguments. Shut the gently caress up with that poo poo seriously

TheKingofSprings posted:

Suggesting the actual thing I think they should do is probably bannable or worse so I can't really say it.

Shut the gently caress up

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

How many of those were in swing states though? In the electoral college system a lot of those people would have been completely correct to conclude their vote was irrelevant.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/868892906630893569

I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS

mattis's loving face is so gross
Woah, Frasier's dad got intense after the show ended.
Maybe taking care of Eddie was the only thing holding him back.

bencreateddisco
Dec 7, 2011

I BLEW $74K IN KICKSTARTER MONEY AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS UGLY AVATAR
The libs in here complaining about voter apathy are the political equivalent of "red-pilled" loudly complaining about how vapid women are for not being interested in them.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

bencreateddisco posted:

The libs in here complaining about voter apathy are the political equivalent of "red-pilled" loudly complaining about how vapid women are for not being interested in them.

This probably made more sense in your head

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Ekster posted:

I don't think he's aware that Jesus was a swarthy brown Middle-Eastern Jew.

Teach the controversy.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

bencreateddisco posted:

:thunk:

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

AstheWorldWorlds posted:

In such a scenario it'd be considered a refugee type of scenario in an environment where the neighbors/rivals have both ideological and pragmatic reasons to relieve the suffering of folks. I doubt it'd shake out in such a way, but it's a superior outcome to the presently most realistic trajectory which is increasingly more radical right wing rule with little to no effective opposition.

Because the leftist bastions of Europe have been so welcoming to the current flood of refugees.

Think! We've seen this all happen before. Look, I would love for a small left wing state that does everything right, but it's never worked. Breaking a nation up doesn't work. Refugees are going to be discriminated against as best. We cannot expect a breakway of the say, New England to be accepting of tens of millions of african americans. It won't happen.

The union is the only thing we've got at times to help people like that. We've got to make the best of it, not tempt fate by dreaming of a collapse.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

TheKingofSprings posted:

You realize that a crap ton of those people were actively suppressed from exercising their franchise right

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

don't pretend like we're (speaking new england in my personal perspective) some bastion free of racism. some of the most segregated areas of the country are in the most progressive places. i think there were three black kids in my high school and two of em were brought from nyc through ABC and the other was the daughter of a former celtics player.

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Because the leftist bastions of Europe have been so welcoming to the current flood of refugees.

Think! We've seen this all happen before. Look, I would love for a small left wing state that does everything right, but it's never worked. Breaking a nation up doesn't work. Refugees are going to be discriminated against as best. We cannot expect a breakway of the say, New England to be accepting of tens of millions of african americans. It won't happen.

The union is the only thing we've got at times to help people like that. We've got to make the best of it, not tempt fate by dreaming of a collapse.

Fair point, the most likely outcome is indeed permanent right wing domination of the union.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Isn't there an election thread that isn't this one?

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

AstheWorldWorlds posted:

Fair point, the most likely outcome is indeed permanent right wing domination of the union.

:jerkbag:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

RuanGacho posted:

This is some weird mix of stolen valor and vanity I have trouble wrapping my head around.
Given all that we now know about the guy, this comes as no surprise. Also, completely tastes (still pretty much expected).

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/868892906630893569

I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS

mattis's loving face is so gross
Sounds like a fun guy!

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
So reading the thread thus far, I'm giving to understand that the new plan is to let the USA fall apart, establish liberal regimes on the coasts, and then somehow absorb tens of millions of minority and poor refugees from the former red states, all because that will somehow be easier than turning out democratic voters in 2018 and saving the government we've currently got?

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Wark Say posted:

Given all that we now know about the guy, this comes as no surprise. Also, completely tastes (still pretty much expected).

Sounds like a fun guy!

He'll draw a dick on your forehead if you pass out

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

don't pretend like we're (speaking new england in my personal perspective) some bastion free of racism. some of the most segregated areas of the country are in the most progressive places. i think there were three black kids in my high school and two of em were brought from nyc through ABC and the other was the daughter of a former celtics player.

I'm a white guy who grew up in MS. I went to high school with a guy who grew up in MN, who moved to MS because his dad took a job. He was one of the most openly racist people I've known.

I asked him about it one time. He said it was because "we didn't have to deal with black people in Minnesota"

I'm not smart enough to draw any broad conclusions from that because I think racism is complicated. But what you wrote made me think of that.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Bishounen Bonanza posted:

So reading the thread thus far, I'm giving to understand that the new plan is to let the USA fall apart, establish liberal regimes on the coasts, and then somehow absorb tens of millions of minority and poor refugees from the former red states, all because that will somehow be easier than turning out democratic voters in 2018 and saving the government we've currently got?

You're thinking too far ahead than the typical woe is me idiot.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

stone cold posted:

blaming the electorate and not the dumbass racist electoral college

hey pt6a why don't you go up to some pocs who had their votes suppressed and explain why they deserve trump

lmao

He loving loves doing that. Or did you miss his illustrious career in Negrotown.

Mahoning posted:

Who are you lecturing?

POCs, women, anything that canucky hilljack hiding under his veneer of Internet Intellectual can point his hate-cannon at.

Tiny Brontosaurus fucked around with this message at 20:08 on May 28, 2017

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

You need to look at this thread like it's CNN, if there aren't as many different things cycled through here as possible interest may die

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

That, or you guys start sending people from the more over-populated cities to live on the abandoned patches of land. It'll be a hoot!

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

We don't even remember what our dreams are.

quote:

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of ...

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Wark Say posted:

gently caress Shinzo Abe. While Trump is a despicable human being who operates mostly on the same level of a psychotic 4th grader, Shinzo Abe is, without a shadow of a doubt, one of the ghouliest motherfuckers alive. Again, gently caress HIM :mad:

Pardon my ignorance, minor thread necromancy, and the derail but could you explain this a bit? I know very little about Japanese politics.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

CalvinandHobbes posted:

Pardon my ignorance, minor thread necromancy, and the derail but could you explain this a bit? I know very little about Japanese politics.

if i remember correctly he is basically trying to push japan back to the 30s and 40s/ra ra nationalism poo poo. he is big on pretending all the loving henious poo poo japan did in the war didnt happen. also pushing xenophobia.

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

Hey guy, you're the one harboring delusions that the United States is in fact not locked down by the right wing due in part to the very structure of our government at the foundational level. I'm merely stating that in the 100% fantasy scenario of the west coast and northeast splitting they would have more latitude than being trapped in a structure they would be powerless in.

Don't you think it's telling that so far all the plans people have been throwing around for unfucking the union hinge upon a decades long plan with a staggering amount of moving parts requiring an unprecedented level of peaceful political mobilization in a fractured and precarious environment, arguably the largest mass movement in history. You all know this is unlikely as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

~66 million for Clinton, ~68.5 for Obama in 2012.

• Locked thread