Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

deletebeepbeepbeep posted:

Oh god May has sent Rudd to take part in the ITV debate, please please Corbyn do not send in Abbott.
Don't worry he's got Thornberry on the case

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
ITV interview seemed to go all right. I'm terrified by the potential scale of the shy tory/whatever effect on polling day though - it was bad with Milliband at least in part due to him not being very PM-like, I have the feeling that it's going to be ten times worse with JC :(

Also why is Abbott being let on TV and stuff? Seems like the worst possible idea at this point.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

El Grillo posted:

ITV interview seemed to go all right. I'm terrified by the potential scale of the shy tory/whatever effect on polling day though - it was bad with Milliband at least in part due to him not being very PM-like, I have the feeling that it's going to be ten times worse with JC :(

Also why is Abbott being let on TV and stuff? Seems like the worst possible idea at this point.

It could always be worse. Someone could interview Eddie Izzard.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

deletebeepbeepbeep posted:

Oh god May has sent Rudd to take part in the ITV debate, please please Corbyn do not send in Abbott.

Now that the tories are sending a minister I think he should definitely go. It will make May look loving awful.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Now that the tories are sending a minister I think he should definitely go. It will make May look loving awful.

This probably won't happen due to Corbyn's unwavering but often lamentable commitment to fair play.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Nah, it'll just make May look above it all and leave the leader of the opposition arguing with the home secretary. He should send someone like John McDonnell or Emily Thornberry and save himself for the audience debates with May.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
So thread, I just tried the famed Vimto squash because I was curious; it's alright, it reminds me of some kind of childhood candy I can't quite remember.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Reminder that this isn't a head to head, it's facing the audience. If May can't actually do that then it shouldn't stop Corbyn.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Thats not an amazing headline for May
https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/868891556866031616

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pochoclo posted:

So thread, I just tried the famed Vimto squash because I was curious; it's alright, it reminds me of some kind of childhood candy I can't quite remember.

I believe it's absurdly popular in the middle east because people drink it after Ramadan.

Also the fizzy type is nicer for my money.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

namesake posted:

Reminder that this isn't a head to head, it's facing the audience. If May can't actually do that then it shouldn't stop Corbyn.

Yeah, I think it'd reflect incredibly badly on May because it's like she just couldn't be arsed at best, and was too scurred at worst.
If it's talking to an audience I don't think Corbyn can lose out by attending, because just turning up shows respect for the audience.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Yeah but it's the guardian. Swing voters aren't buying the guardian. Or reading the website. They might see it via news aggregators.

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

I think people are talking about two different things. There's the party leaders debate, which May is sending Rudd and Corbyn is also not attending. Then there's the May and Corbyn town hall type debate, that both are supposed to be attending. As far as I understand things anyway.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Regarde Aduck posted:

Yeah but it's the guardian. Swing voters aren't buying the guardian. Or reading the website. They might see it via news aggregators.

yeah it's only notable when the torygraph, daily heil or current bun call her poo poo. the guardian has been whining about her forever

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
Those tory attack ads are drowning out ads aimed at increasing turnout by outbidding them.

I have to say I'm impressed with their ability to play dirty in the modern world

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Berious posted:

yeah it's only notable when the torygraph, daily heil or current bun call her poo poo. the guardian has been whining about her forever

What newspaper is the currant bun?

E: oh, Sun probably.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

OwlFancier posted:

What newspaper is the currant bun?

E: oh, Sun probably.

They even used to redirect traffic on it but I can't see if they still do

and i must meme
Jan 15, 2017

Pochoclo posted:

robinsons apple and blackcurrant is the best squash

lidl brand second

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

and i must meme posted:

robinsons apple and blackcurrant is the best squash

lidl brand second

Ribena is the One True Squash.

and i must meme
Jan 15, 2017

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Ribena is the One True Squash.

its bad

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

namesake posted:

I'm pretty sure the BBC one is a 'standard' debate with people all shouting over each other to get screen time. I honestly don't know if Corbyn should do it or not; it's utterly unsuited to his style of actually answering questions but if the Conservatives are sending a stand-in then Labour should probably put somebody in. gently caress it, nominate John Prescott.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Intrinsic Field Marshal posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAzDlcq4Ud8

I sure hope he included the parts where the parents got the BNP to march through the town centre for them and about Charlene's bad homelife at the time
This is the girls won't date me because of feminism guy, isn't it?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

forkboy84 posted:

Go away bargain bin Pissflaps, we've still got the original.

Seriously, who here has even said they have confidence in Abbott as Home Secretary? Away & shite you boring oval office.

Keep calling for violent revolution mate, don't let reality get in the way of your dreams.

I had a friend who was a member of the communist party in school, I guess he grew up eventually as I listened to his interview on radio 4 the other day. Don't be him.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

AP posted:

Keep calling for violent revolution mate, don't let reality get in the way of your dreams.

I had a friend who was a member of the communist party in school, I guess he grew up eventually as I listened to his interview on radio 4 the other day. Don't be him.

No seriously, go away you're dogshit.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Jedit posted:

Not much, only everything she says and does.

Like what though. We all know she doesn't handle interviews too well (even when she's right), but in the job of actually deciding policy and getting it put into action, does she have a bad track record?

forkboy84 posted:

Talking to the press is an important job for a Minister. Doubly so for the Home Sec who will often have to go in front of the media about quite controversial things because it's a horrible depart. Diane Abbott is not someone you would willingly roll out in front of the press. Her as Home Sec? gently caress man, it'd be bad.

Well that's fair, but couldn't you argue that those 'controversial things' tend to be presented as moral imperatives - we need to do the thing to protect bla bla - rather than argued with hard numbers. She's definitely better at that kind of persuasive generality, with the benefit that she'd be in power enacting policy instead of trying to convince everyone to give her the job, so it wouldn't matter as much

I know what you mean, sometimes the Home Secretary has to go and argue a case with details and that's a problem (not so much if she prepared), but it's not just
about that - and she seems like she'd be much more progressive than the last few. She might end up stepping aside for a coalition though :v:

Spangly A posted:

Those tory attack ads are drowning out ads aimed at increasing turnout by outbidding them.

I have to say I'm impressed with their ability to play dirty in the modern world

Didn't they get the same Leave.EU team that was using the Facebook demographics software to identify groups and target special ads at them?

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

AP posted:

If you're the sort of person that lets reality get in the way of their dreams I feel very sad for you. The whole point of having dreams is that they allow you to imagine and strive for something beyond your reality, after all.

Like if your reality is that you're in a big vat full of pig poo poo, for instance, you probably shouldn't wallow in it, you should follow your dream of someday getting out of it.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Oberleutnant posted:

No seriously, go away you're dogshit.

Sorry you feel that way.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

AP posted:

Sorry you feel that way.

It's not a feeling, he's objectively right.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

TomViolence posted:

If you're the sort of person that lets reality get in the way of their dreams I feel very sad for you. The whole point of having dreams is that they allow you to imagine and strive for something beyond your reality, after all.

Like if your reality is that you're in a big vat full of pig poo poo, for instance, you probably shouldn't wallow in it, you should follow your dream of someday getting out of it.

This is pretty deep and I'll have to think on it.

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

AP's entire contribution to the thread seems to be tweets and sniping at other people. Like, even old Pissy puts more effort in than that.

When are the upcoming "debates" anyway? Is anything on to night to distract me from the Sunday Night Fear?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Acaila posted:

AP's entire contribution to the thread seems to be tweets and sniping at other people. Like, even old Pissy puts more effort in than that.

I do content too.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the latest revaluation that Corbyn laid a wreath on the grave of one of the murderers at the Munich massacre?

Do we think he just gets off on death or is it deeper attraction for the bad boys in life that drives him?

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

baka kaba posted:

Didn't they get the same Leave.EU team that was using the Facebook demographics software to identify groups and target special ads at them?

Yes, and it's very dodgy and they won't answer any questions about it:

https://twitter.com/carolecadwalla/status/868727270499692545
(check the whole thread)

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Pretty hosed up that Labour have not organised a MONGOOSE committee to bring their own solutions to crises when you think about it.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

AP posted:

I do content too.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the latest revaluation that Corbyn laid a wreath on the grave of one of the murderers at the Munich massacre?

Do we think he just gets off on death or is it deeper attraction for the bad boys in life that drives him?

depends. did his net worth go up or down in this revaluation

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Death's looking pretty appealing right now honestly.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Her leg made me think of this, which in turn makes me remember a simpler, less absurd time.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

TomViolence posted:

this is an interesting point, and you make a good argument, but I'm still going to keep reading this thread

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

AP posted:

I do content too.

I also hear that he works in an organization responsible for tens of millions of deaths worldwide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

namesake posted:

No, the big debate is a head-to-head type with people shouting over each other and asking each other questions. It's not very well suited to Corbyn to begin with and it really wouldn't be a good look for him to be arguing with the likes of Amber Rudd, Tim Farron and Paul Nuttall rather than May herself. On the whole it's unlikely to be very edifying and people will probably pay a lot more attention to the two town hall style debates between him an May.

• Locked thread