Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Staltran posted:

Pretty sure you can only have one at a time, but if you lose the avatar you can get another. Also unlike you might expect, the chance to get an avatar isn't removed from the pool, it's replaced by a generic vision instead which has a choice between 3 buffs. So having the army doesn't increase your chance of actually getting cool stuff.

So what you're saying is i should just delete this garbage avatar army or drive it into a sun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Nitrousoxide posted:

What the hell is the point of the army avatar for psychics? It's basically 2-3 regular psychic armies instead of getting a 15k fleet. In what situation is this a good trade???

I spent several hours maxing out my unity gain early game so I could get into the shroud as fast as possible and i get this 150 energy and 750 minerals worth of armies.

Considering that armies exist largely as a resource sink in this game, a free army that's statistically equivalent to several armies and doesn't even cost upkeep isn't completely worthless. Load it up with attachments and you can save a lot on assault army maintenance. Still not as good as a ship, but better than nothing.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
The army unit isn't that bad. It's still the strongest army unit in the game. Close in power to a titanic army (a little less damage but massively higher morale damage as well as having more health/morale than a titanic army as well).

Also think of it as a fun flavor thing. Considering the shroud can give you far worse stuff (it can actually actively harm you), it's not the worst thing at all. I had the Avatar + 3 Titans and basically could stomp any defense flat in seconds and it was kinda fun to watch.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Nitrousoxide posted:

So what you're saying is i should just delete this garbage avatar army or drive it into a sun.

No then you can get it again. A high chance of a generic research bonus or whatever is still better than the army.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Shroud entity just wants to chill on a planet, maybe occasionally blow up some dudes. A little change in pace from the insanity of the warp or whatever the gently caress.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Dwesa posted:

Also, I think you can't edit ironman save?

You can. You just have to make sure that when you rezip the save file that there are a few picky settings.

http://www.stellariswiki.com/Save-game_editing

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

JuniperCake posted:

The army unit isn't that bad. It's still the strongest army unit in the game. Close in power to a titanic army (a little less damage but massively higher morale damage as well as having more health/morale than a titanic army as well).

getting one of "the strongest army unit of the game" would not be impressive even if ground combat mattered, unless the gap between the strongest unit in the game and average units was much larger

JuniperCake posted:

Also think of it as a fun flavor thing. Considering the shroud can give you far worse stuff (it can actually actively harm you), it's not the worst thing at all. I had the Avatar + 3 Titans and basically could stomp any defense flat in seconds and it was kinda fun to watch.

so can a stack of 30 [whatever] armies, and that's a lot easier to get

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

Then because of stupid pathing the transports go through a hazardous system and your army of 3 titans, an avatar and whatever goes up in smoke. :argh:

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
the only good army tech is clone armies because who cares if you gently caress up and they die

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Just lol if you're not sending mechs, kaiju, and Yuriko Omega in to fight primitives.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Pro tip for anyone else who is new to the game: purges are pretty extreme. :eng101:

I put my newly conquered systems under two different sectors (as they were at opposite sides of the galaxy) and after a few years I notice my fleet capacity drops a fair chunk. Turns out the 40 odd pops have been wiped out, in many cases removing entire colonies and giving me -990 relations with every other species for genocide. Also aside from feeling pretty lovely it'll take nearly a millennia before you're forgiven.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Weavered posted:

Pro tip for anyone else who is new to the game: purges are pretty extreme. :eng101:

I put my newly conquered systems under two different sectors (as they were at opposite sides of the galaxy) and after a few years I notice my fleet capacity drops a fair chunk. Turns out the 40 odd pops have been wiped out, in many cases removing entire colonies and giving me -990 relations with every other species for genocide. Also aside from feeling pretty lovely it'll take nearly a millennia before you're forgiven.

not sure I understand what happened here, did you think that turning on purging was like "root out the disloyal subjects" instead of "kill everyone"?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

not sure I understand what happened here, did you think that turning on purging was like "root out the disloyal subjects" instead of "kill everyone"?
I feel someone must've had this conversation with Stalin at some point.

Right before, well... you know.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Cease to Hope posted:

the only good army tech is clone armies because who cares if you gently caress up and they die

Pretty much. There's no reason to build anything else.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Is there any fix to the prethoryns not having any armies? They have fleets orbiting 1/4 of the galaxy but only have their first planet.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Weavered posted:

Yeah, people are so sensitive. We just ate a few billions. What's the big deal?

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
Goddamnit, I had a Curator happily plugging away at my science and my government went and elected him President :argh:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

MadJackMcJack posted:

Goddamnit, I had a Curator happily plugging away at my science and my government went and elected him President :argh:
That and how inconvenient it is to constantly replace the elected scientist and then reassign them to something after their term is up makes democracies too bothersome for my taste. My people will have an emperor/empress and like it.

Incidentally I wish there was some way to indicate how benevolent or oppressive your government is. Sure you can avoid having slavery and supply your people with free dental care but that doesn't mean you're not imprisoning vast numbers of your population, encouraging harassment of dissidents, installing cameras everywhere, using nerve stapling on criminals or just full of bigotry.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

MadJackMcJack posted:

That's actually a really good thing. Now you can hire a second Curator scientist, and when you elect a new president next round, you can have two.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Poil posted:

Incidentally I wish there was some way to indicate how benevolent or oppressive your government is. Sure you can avoid having slavery and supply your people with free dental care but that doesn't mean you're not imprisoning vast numbers of your population, encouraging harassment of dissidents, installing cameras everywhere, using nerve stapling on criminals or just full of bigotry.

citizenship and living conditions are currently the best approximation

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Are you able to set up a system that is a sector even if you haven't reached your limit? I was mostly just using it as a buffer zone so I wouldn't be trapped when this other Empire expanded. Instant rivalry from them.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I have a race war going on a planet between the offshoot subrace... and that very same subrace. I don't get it.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

why would you use Chemical Bliss living conditions?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

To make filthy xenos forget that you're eating them

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

to wait out the timer for the recently conquered happiness penalty

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Never use chemical bliss because sometimes withdrawal symptoms randomly come back.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

By the look of the tool tip, chemical bliss is more of a thing to stop pops being purged from having high unrest, not something for a pop that should stay around.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Drug your aliens, build more robots

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

IAmTheRad posted:

Are you able to set up a system that is a sector even if you haven't reached your limit?

Yes, but doing so is of pretty dubious usefulness.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
Finally getting into an extended game of this after many false starts. Many of my scientists have been sacrificed or gone mad have nobly volunteered for dangerous tests of this new cutting-edge recursive black-hole technology. I'm sure this will all end up just fine!
WHAT WILL BE, WAS. WHAT WAS, WILL BE :unsmigghh:

On a practical note, the cute gecko primitives in my territory turned out to be Fanatic Purifiers. I settled a colony in their system so they can't really block me from doing anything or build much of their own, is it best to ignore them until they get uppity or go to Firm, Corrective War with them (I'm not mad, just disappointed). It's still early-game enough that their station would be kind of an annoying nut to crack, although they are using missiles, and I do have point defense.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Ixjuvin posted:

It's still early-game enough that their station would be kind of an annoying nut to crack, although they are using missiles, and I do have point defense.

Destroyers with a party (PD) in the back, and business (large mount) up front for the stations, and then twice that number with the m/s mount combo front to handle their fleet. If you have enough PD you will barely take any damage, and what you do take will fall off dramatically as they start losing hulls.

I definitely feel like having missiles be the only weapon type which is hard countered by anything is really piling on to their already lengthy list of drawbacks.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Is Flak or the dedicated point defense better for shooting stuff down?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Flak

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Flak, no contest.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
I gave the erstwhile Blood Host a Stern Talking-To (backed by battle droids and an apologetic orbital bombardment) and they reformed into a much more amenable Trade Commission who have agreed to let me protect them from the horrors of the galaxy. Hopefully I can get the cute buggers integrated in a decade or so. :3:

Is Ethics Attraction, uh, working? The entire population of my homeworld got mutated into militarist assholes by a mad Scientist (he's my President now :ughh:) and I've been trying to flip their ethics back over, but despite my suppressing their faction and boosting my governing ethics attraction as much as I can it seems like nothing doing. Am I missing something here or what

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Ixjuvin posted:

I gave the erstwhile Blood Host a Stern Talking-To (backed by battle droids and an apologetic orbital bombardment) and they reformed into a much more amenable Trade Commission who have agreed to let me protect them from the horrors of the galaxy. Hopefully I can get the cute buggers integrated in a decade or so. :3:

Is Ethics Attraction, uh, working? The entire population of my homeworld got mutated into militarist assholes by a mad Scientist (he's my President now :ughh:) and I've been trying to flip their ethics back over, but despite my suppressing their faction and boosting my governing ethics attraction as much as I can it seems like nothing doing. Am I missing something here or what

I think that particular event just makes it really really hard to get rid of their faction

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Positive ethics attraction appears to do next to nothing right now. It's maddening.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Shugojin posted:

By the look of the tool tip, chemical bliss is more of a thing to stop pops being purged from having high unrest, not something for a pop that should stay around.
Pretty sure you can't apply it to pops being purged, which is kind of a bummer.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ixjuvin posted:

I accidentally let my curator scientist be elected. :facepalm:

Based on having two starship related ruler traits he was probably just angry about doing society research.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

hobbesmaster posted:

I accidentally let my curator scientist be elected. :facepalm:

Based on having two starship related ruler traits he was probably just angry about doing society research.

When we get more diplomatic events. I want a potential one where a curator if they become the leader of a nation, makes an attempt to get revenge on their former enclave and incites a political incident. I mean at least a few of them would have to be at least somewhat bitter at being sold to some backwater empire where they have to remain for the rest of their life. Probably a good way for the enclave to get rid of malcontents anyways.

Could give you a way to take it over, sabotage it/steal secrets from it or even destroy it or something. Just Rick Sanchez it all up.

Could be a fun event.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 11:31 on May 29, 2017

• Locked thread