Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I just finished the game and did ending "escape pod" then did both of the actual endings: nullwave bomb/shake hand, then blow up Talos/kill everyone. Hm, I've been avoiding spoilers, can someone point me at the best 'here's what happened' ending summary? I suppose I basically get it, but I'd like to see what other people have to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Regarding the last part of the game I didn't mind the backtracking so much as when the Apex Typhon rocked up I was like "alright well this space station is done" and then I just loving legged it to the reactor and to the bridge. I'm playing on PC though so SSD made loading times a breeze. When I activated the self destruct and January said that I had a low enough Typhon level to not be a threat I blew him away with the shotgun and sprinted to the escape pod. As I was leaving I got a call from Mikhaila saying "Morgan I just detected an escape pod firing. I thought..." but I was out of there.

In the ending I actually didn't interact with Sho at all, so her operator just said "We never met. I can't really contribute anything.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
What a loving good game though. I really, really enjoyed it. I loved how they didn't prevent you from doing things that were suboptimal.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Jose posted:

Oh right. I thought i had to build up a full charge on something using the qbeam to kill it

Psychoshock or stun makes it deal more damage faster to most enemies too it seems. But yeah when fully upgraded its really really good but you really want to lead with another weapon against bigget enemies.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Schneider Inside Her posted:

In the ending I actually didn't interact with Sho at all, so her operator just said "We never met. I can't really contribute anything.

I've always had Sho call when I'm in deep storage, did you not do the chef quest?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Installed the second level of electroshock next to all the crew in the cargo hold and the nightmare popped up lol. Only took 1 psychoshock and 4 shotgun blasts to kill it. I did the quest to get rid of it but idk how you actually do that

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

LemonDrizzle posted:

Adam steps into the room, sees nothing but some furniture and random junk, then a coffee cup lying on its side in the corner takes over his mind.
This game better get a sequel and not bomb because Bethesda's marketing is poo poo. I'd certainly like to see what comes next.

Hope they fire whoever did the sound level mixing though. Jesus, drat near got deafened even after turning the music down.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

Aug with Alien Genomes or Aug with good ol' Carbon Fiber with gold accents?

Jensen is largely immune to electric attacks and the fact his brain is heavily augmented probably means he can't be mind controlled

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Stalemate. Jensen and Morgan both throw all 20-25 of the EMP grenades they're both carrying around in their pockets and just fall over electrocuted.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

limited posted:

Hope they fire whoever did the sound level mixing though. Jesus, drat near got deafened even after turning the music down.

I hope they fire whoever did the enemy designs beyond the mimic/greater mimic.

Blurry shadows with various elemental powers in vaguely dissimilar shapes, gently caress yeah.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Jose posted:

Installed the second level of electroshock next to all the crew in the cargo hold and the nightmare popped up lol. Only took 1 psychoshock and 4 shotgun blasts to kill it. I did the quest to get rid of it but idk how you actually do that

You have to play the audiolog associated with making it leave. I think you can do that twice, and attract it twice. Also there is more than one.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Generally speaking, I loved the idea of the Nightmare but wasn't a fan of its execution. It's fun the first time you shoot it to death, but once another turns up it's readily apparent it's just another enemy type to deal with and loses all interest. Nevermind just walking through the nearest department airlock to "hide" from it. I think they should've gone full-blown SA-X with it from Metroid Fusion, having it be a single creature able to chase you through doors and nigh-unkillable. Only stunned for a bit, and then getting right back up to come murder you. You might almost never see the thing on one playthrough, yet on another the route you take just keeps bumping into it and OH gently caress RUN RUN!. Give it a weakness like avoiding the external airlocks for whatever reason, and you've got somewhere to run to when it begins chasing you if you can't hide from it.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Dogen posted:

You have to play the audiolog associated with making it leave. I think you can do that twice, and attract it twice. Also there is more than one.

Also the attract thing doesn't mean attracting already existing nightmare, it'll spawn you one to fight.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Dogen posted:

Yeah it was the second one I killed

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Jose posted:

Jensen is largely immune to electric attacks and the fact his brain is heavily augmented probably means he can't be mind controlled

Maybe the machine mind power could just control his robot brain bits?

Neither of them could take on JC Denton, though.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
My Kill-Everybody psychopath run seems to have missed the mark that I was aiming for.

I was vaguely aiming to get the Showing Initiative quest and the I and It and Awkward Ride Home achievements. I wasn't using a guide for this and I think that some of these might be mutually exclusive, or at least require a bit of planning to pull off in one run.

I did indeed kill everybody as soon as I saw them. Wrenched Mikhaila on the floor, spaced Igwe, and turned the defense turrets around in the cargo hold and aggro'd Sarah and her trapped security team. I also pistol sniped all the mind-controlled humans or finished them off if they lost consciousness after I Q-Beamed the telepath.

I didn't know when the Showing Initiative quest was supposed to kick in, so I played all the way up to when Dahl pulled Alex out of his garage and Dahl was still hostile to me. I did some reading on the quest and while the information out there is still a little nebulous, what seems clear is that Showing Initiative is supposed to kick in as soon as Dahl arrives on the station.

So I missed out, despite everybody being dead prior to Dahl showing up save for Alex and the four AWOL crew members whose bracelets are in the IT closet. So why didn't the Showing Initiative quest kick in? It is possible that too many human deaths were technically not by my hand; some mind-controlled puppets could have blow'd up they own heads, and my cargo bay turrets could have gotten last-hit on some of Sarah's people. This might have brought my murder count down below the threshold to start the quest. My "Humans Killed" count is 29 under Transcribe\Data\Stats\.

Regarding the requirements for the achievements, I assume that if Showing Initiative doesn't start, then Awkward Ride Home is unobtainable. I've also read some half-finished guides and forum posts that suggest that Igwe is supposed to survive long enough to lobotomize Dahl, and then be killed so that Dahl has amnesia when he flies you home?

So does anybody here know for sure what it takes to get this quest and cheevo? Morgan's bloodlust remains un-slaked.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
You need to not kill people, esp. Igwe, until after you get what they offer, for the Awkward Ride Home achievement. Not sure what went wrong aside from that for you. Did you hunt down all the survivors from the security terminals?

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 22:03 on May 28, 2017

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Copper Vein posted:

My Kill-Everybody psychopath run seems to have missed the mark that I was aiming for.

I was vaguely aiming to get the Showing Initiative quest and the I and It and Awkward Ride Home achievements. I wasn't using a guide for this and I think that some of these might be mutually exclusive, or at least require a bit of planning to pull off in one run.

I did indeed kill everybody as soon as I saw them. Wrenched Mikhaila on the floor, spaced Igwe, and turned the defense turrets around in the cargo hold and aggro'd Sarah and her trapped security team. I also pistol sniped all the mind-controlled humans or finished them off if they lost consciousness after I Q-Beamed the telepath.

I didn't know when the Showing Initiative quest was supposed to kick in, so I played all the way up to when Dahl pulled Alex out of his garage and Dahl was still hostile to me. I did some reading on the quest and while the information out there is still a little nebulous, what seems clear is that Showing Initiative is supposed to kick in as soon as Dahl arrives on the station.

So I missed out, despite everybody being dead prior to Dahl showing up save for Alex and the four AWOL crew members whose bracelets are in the IT closet. So why didn't the Showing Initiative quest kick in? It is possible that too many human deaths were technically not by my hand; some mind-controlled puppets could have blow'd up they own heads, and my cargo bay turrets could have gotten last-hit on some of Sarah's people. This might have brought my murder count down below the threshold to start the quest. My "Humans Killed" count is 29 under Transcribe\Data\Stats\.

Regarding the requirements for the achievements, I assume that if Showing Initiative doesn't start, then Awkward Ride Home is unobtainable. I've also read some half-finished guides and forum posts that suggest that Igwe is supposed to survive long enough to lobotomize Dahl, and then be killed so that Dahl has amnesia when he flies you home?

So does anybody here know for sure what it takes to get this quest and cheevo? Morgan's bloodlust remains un-slaked.

You need 42 kills total to get the 'I and It" achievement for killing everyone. You definitely must have missed a lot of last hits. For me, Showing Initiative trigged as soon as Dahl arrived - he sends you a message saying he's impressed with how many people you've killed, the IT closet unlocks and the 4 remaining survivors are planted throughout the station for you to go kill. Then he invites you to the shuttle bay to fly home with him, but of course that's just a trap. The only way to get Awkward Ride Home is to let Igwe live until Dahl arrives, stun Dahl and have Igwe remove his Neuromods so that he forgets his mission. Then you can kill Igwe and ride home with Dahl.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Maneki Neko posted:

I've always had Sho call when I'm in deep storage, did you not do the chef quest?
If you don't meet him, which is possible because there's nothing necessary in that section, then you never meet her.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.

Gadzuko posted:

You need 42 kills total to get the 'I and It" achievement for killing everyone. You definitely must have missed a lot of last hits. For me, Showing Initiative trigged as soon as Dahl arrived - he sends you a message saying he's impressed with how many people you've killed, the IT closet unlocks and the 4 remaining survivors are planted throughout the station for you to go kill. Then he invites you to the shuttle bay to fly home with him, but of course that's just a trap. The only way to get Awkward Ride Home is to let Igwe live until Dahl arrives, stun Dahl and have Igwe remove his Neuromods so that he forgets his mission. Then you can kill Igwe and ride home with Dahl.

So Showing Initiative and Awkward Ride Home are mutually exclusive? I and It can be got along with either one?

Since Igwe has to survive the cargo bay to lobotomize Dahl for Awkward Ride Home, doesn't that mean that you can't waste Sarah's crew right then and there? Igwe would also aggro (and hide) if you did. So you have to save them all, and then when Igwe calls you from your office you double back and shoot them all in the face with your mother's shotgun?

That loving sucks that you can't use turrets on Team Eleazar. They should have accounted for that. Have one squeaky voiced survivor ask why the turrets are facing the wrong way.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Gadzuko posted:

The only way to get Awkward Ride Home is to let Igwe live until Dahl arrives, stun Dahl and have Igwe remove his Neuromods so that he forgets his mission. Then you can kill Igwe and ride home with Dahl.

When exactly should you kill Igwe to get this? Is it okay to just gun him down in Neuromods right in front of Dahl, or is there an opportunity to get him alone between then and the shuttle leaving (which is too late, since the game won't let you kill people on the shuttle)?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Gun him down just before wiping Dahls memory

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Copper Vein posted:

So Showing Initiative and Awkward Ride Home are mutually exclusive? I and It can be got along with either one?

Since Igwe has to survive the cargo bay to lobotomize Dahl for Awkward Ride Home, doesn't that mean that you can't waste Sarah's crew right then and there? Igwe would also aggro (and hide) if you did. So you have to save them all, and then when Igwe calls you from your office you double back and shoot them all in the face with your mother's shotgun?

That loving sucks that you can't use turrets on Team Eleazar. They should have accounted for that. Have one squeaky voiced survivor ask why the turrets are facing the wrong way.

I'm not sure what the cutoff is for Showing Initiative. You may still get it even if Igwe is the only one left alive. Theoretically if you're fast it should be possible to get into Cargo Bay, waste everyone, then save Igwe. Could be interesting.

NRVNQSR posted:

When exactly should you kill Igwe to get this? Is it okay to just gun him down in Neuromods right in front of Dahl, or is there an opportunity to get him alone between then and the shuttle leaving (which is too late, since the game won't let you kill people on the shuttle)?

I haven't actually done this one yet, but yeah, as far as I've seen the only chance you get to kill Igwe is when you're both hanging out in Neuromod. After that he and Dahl are gone until the shuttle ride.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Yay I beat the game! Got the I and Thou and Do No Harm achievements too, even though there's one particular guy I would've liked to kill.

Is there ever a quest that makes the Waste Management area interesting? I had a buttload of stuff to recycle in there so I shoved it into the depowered recycler, couldn't find a way to power it up, headed to the power plant, but then the game never sent me up there again.

I also could never deactivate that super-electrified room in life-support either - I plugged in a new grounding resistor but it didn't seem to do anything.

Overall the game was fun but it was most fun in the midgame and Crew Quarters was the highlight. The start feels way too hard when even a couple of mimics and a phantom can take you out if you're bad like me, and the end has so many enemies that running seemed like the best option a lot of the time and I definitely got my worth out of the supersprint and superjump neuromods.

How do you progress the game if you kill Elazar before she opens the door that you either need her or hacking 4 to open? Does she have a note?

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

SinineSiil posted:

Also the attract thing doesn't mean attracting already existing nightmare, it'll spawn you one to fight.

I like nightmares. They're piss-easy compared to something like killing a weaver. In zero-g. With a couple of corrupted operators nearby, and all the loving cystoids...

I finished with 10 of 'em killed, and 4 were from the satellite quest. Chasing the satellite to attach the thing was annoying though.

'Attract' is indeed summon,. and you can spam yourself 4 nightmares in succession by replaying the relevant audio log. 3 fortified turrets set up + lvl 3 psychoshock = all the exotic material, and no wasted ammo!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

bewilderment posted:

I also could never deactivate that super-electrified room in life-support either - I plugged in a new grounding resistor but it didn't seem to do anything.
I don't think you can. I got in there by glooing the railing opposite the broken power panel and then bouncing another gloo off that one onto the panel to deactivate the discharge. Even after repairing it the water was still electrified so I glooed up the floor to get around.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

bewilderment posted:

Is there ever a quest that makes the Waste Management area interesting? I had a buttload of stuff to recycle in there so I shoved it into the depowered recycler, couldn't find a way to power it up, headed to the power plant, but then the game never sent me up there again.
It's a fully optional area with a couple neat little surprises but the power terminal is by the door. If you want to know what's in there You can use the terminals to flush out the waste processing tank and discover the alcoholic employee who drunkenly fell into the tank and drowned or was killed by eels. Also one of the treasure maps leads there.

quote:

Resistor's for reactivating the outside area where you get Mikhaila's meds. You can see the lights go on out there once you plug it in.

quote:

How do you progress the game if you kill Elazar before she opens the door that you either need her or hacking 4 to open? Does she have a note?
Keycard, yeah.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Waste Management/Water Supply is one of the most important optional areas in the game. Took me forever to find the switch to turn the power on, but it's actually right in plain sight. Whoops.

The Psi Water quest basically makes typhon powers much more useable since every water source let's you quickly restore psi

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
Is there any clue that leads you to the 4 neuromods you find in the briefcase in the security booth in the lobby?

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

GlyphGryph posted:

Waste Management/Water Supply is one of the most important optional areas in the game. Took me forever to find the switch to turn the power on, but it's actually right in plain sight. Whoops.

The Psi Water quest basically makes typhon powers much more useable since every water source let's you quickly restore psi

Oh, duh, I totally forgot to mention that spoilered bit but that's the most important part.

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

Is there any clue that leads you to the 4 neuromods you find in the briefcase in the security booth in the lobby?

January tells you to go check it out for weapons after you get back from the hardware labs, but nothing mentions those specifically.

Gadzuko fucked around with this message at 06:18 on May 29, 2017

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
The Waste Management area also has one of the numbers for Abigail's treasure hunt, IIRC - it's not super important, but the reward for completing the treasure hunt is reasonably nice

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

LemonDrizzle posted:

The Waste Management area also has one of the numbers for Abigail's treasure hunt, IIRC - it's not super important, but the reward for completing the treasure hunt is reasonably nice

By the time you complete the treasure hunt I feel like you're already either most of the way through the game and so the bonuses aren't particularly useful, or otherwise you've done some sequence breaking and run around the station and so you've extended your playtime past the point where it's useful to when the game would have ended faster and with less trouble than the bother. It's a neat quest but the payoff seems more like feeling good than actually anything great.

I never did the Psi Water quest because I somehow missed every way to start that quest as well as Waste Management's on-switch. I ran around the area, killed the technopath, went "weird, it's all depowered and I can't do anything, maybe I need to go to the Power Plant first?" and left and never came back.

orly
Oct 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
Streaming it now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KkG38XJrGA

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Does the quest marker bug out a lot? The main quest wants me to go to the power plant but despite facing the door there from life support the quest marker wants me to go back to the cargo bay and outside talos 1

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

:black101: Break a leg! :black101:

Jose posted:

Does the quest marker bug out a lot? The main quest wants me to go to the power plant but despite facing the door there from life support the quest marker wants me to go back to the cargo bay and outside talos 1

The main quest might not be 'tracked'. Check and see in your quest log journal thing.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I just checked and it is active lol. Switching it between inactive and back has fixed it though

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

So can anybody write stuff about how things can go down with Dahl?

In my playthrough I got to that room where Dahl was holed up cutting out the crew's oxygen, stunned him and that was it. I'm reading that you can see Dahl try to break into Alex's office or that you can make him unconscious in that oxygen control room via fixing the fan and pumping out oxygen. I never got to see those things.

I know how to do the latter but my game never made that an objective so I have no idea how somebody's supposed to figure it out on their own (or does that become available when the timer goes to zero?).

Also I never had the station crew fight off Dahl's army or something, they were only getting slowly oxygen-deprived as I mentioned but nothing more. How does one get that?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I can only speak to one option:

It's mentioned earlier that Dahl is using Kaspar to control the station, so you can ignore Dahl's hostaging of the Cargo Bay crew and just go straight after Kaspar as once you kill him the crew are no longer locked in the Cargo Bay so it doesn't matter that he's cut off the air there. Dahl flees Life Support when Kaspar goes down, and the Cargo Bay guys kill all his security droids there and move in to make sure he doesn't try it again - that's when Dahl takes his security bots up to Alex's safe house and starts trying to break in there.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I put dahl in the queue

if you know what I mean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Palpek posted:

So can anybody write stuff about how things can go down with Dahl?

In my playthrough I got to that room where Dahl was holed up cutting out the crew's oxygen, stunned him and that was it. I'm reading that you can see Dahl try to break into Alex's office or that you can make him unconscious in that oxygen control room via fixing the fan and pumping out oxygen. I never got to see those things.

I know how to do the latter but my game never made that an objective so I have no idea how somebody's supposed to figure it out on their own (or does that become available when the timer goes to zero?).

I did the latter; I knew about it because I had been to the area before and experimented, so it seemed like an obvious way to incapacitate Dahl for Igwe's objective.