Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

I like how passing, while still possible, was more challenging this year, whereas it seemed like in the last couple of years it was very very easy to get a huge run and pass. Took real balls and some great outside moves to pass cars towards the end of this race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

Cygni posted:

it really is amazing how loving great this race is every year, man. thats at least the 7th in a row where i was standing and screaming at the tv at the end like a lunatic

Indy really is the only race every year for me where for 3 hours nothing else in the world matters

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

George Zimmer posted:

A Sato win is the only way this race can be redeemed

kidcoelacanth posted:

The People Want Sato

Very happy with the finish. :japan:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

CactusWeasle posted:

The irony here is that tomorrow Honda will be hailed as heroes for getting Sato-san the win

It's a bit bittersweet, given two major drivers blew up.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Also if y'all missed it during the race, there's a Discord now for SAS racing stuff: https://discord.gg/kg3d2Uu

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

gret posted:

I like how passing, while still possible, was more challenging this year, whereas it seemed like in the last couple of years it was very very easy to get a huge run and pass. Took real balls and some great outside moves to pass cars towards the end of this race.

Nando impressed me with some of his moves on the outside in 1.

Did the TV catch Hinch pretending he was a lawnmower on one of the restarts? Got super low in 1 and kicked up a big cloud of dirt.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

If there was one thing this race sorely needed, it was More Hinch.

Also I'm not certain but I think Chilton ended up leading the most laps?

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
Michael Andretti just confirmed that at the start of the season, Honda approached the teams and said that they had an engine that was less reliable with more power. All the teams said that's what they wanted

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

io's thoughts:

The Good: Sato, exciting and tense racing, FIVE WIDE ON THE BACK STRETCH, the race Indy needed with the racing world watching as a whole, the DW-12 showing that it is a loving boss the last two weeks.
The Bad: Honda's three blowups.
The Ugly: Two of them belonging to RHR and Alonso.

Also:
https://twitter.com/ClarkWade34/status/868934436435501056

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Honda is really good at making less reliable engines.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

kidcoelacanth posted:

If there was one thing this race sorely needed, it was More Hinch.

Also I'm not certain but I think Chilton ended up leading the most laps?

Yes Chilton did.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

IOwnCalculus posted:

This a million times over.

Great race, rollercoaster as hell. My wife wanted to sell the Honda after Nando's popped, but I think now it needs a Sato sticker.

Your wife is still right. Sato won and that's loving awesome. But gently caress Honda forever. No credit to them, all credit to Andretti Racing and Sato.

Poor Alonso...

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

kidcoelacanth posted:

Also if y'all missed it during the race, there's a Discord now for SAS racing stuff: https://discord.gg/kg3d2Uu
Link expired.
Nevermind, Discord had me logged out.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Human Grand Prix posted:

Yes Chilton did.

A big chunk were under yellow at the end there, so he somehow ended up with 50 lead.

Today set the record for most leaders in Indy 500 history at 14, though. Nearly half the field at some point or other was at the point in. What a race.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Next year is going to be a tad different, because Honda is at disadvantage for aero currently, but considering they're moving to back to spec aero, I think the teams won't feel they need that extra little power again.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Bentai posted:

Link expired.

https://discord.gg/muq6evv

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Cygni posted:

A big chunk were under yellow at the end there, so he somehow ended up with 50 lead.

Today set the record for most leaders in Indy 500 history at 14, though. Nearly half the field at some point or other was at the point in. What a race.

He drove quite well today.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Davison also impressed me even if his positions were gained through strategy.

Human Grand Prix fucked around with this message at 22:37 on May 28, 2017

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Human Grand Prix posted:

Davison also impressed me even his positions were gained through strategy.

I was not impressed when they refused to loving pit when their front wing as about to fall off

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
Hallelujah, Sato! :)

Synthetic Hermit fucked around with this message at 22:37 on May 28, 2017

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
Japanese commentary, final 5 laps and victory lane, direct feed.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KingShibby posted:

Michael Andretti just confirmed that at the start of the season, Honda approached the teams and said that they had an engine that was less reliable with more power. All the teams said that's what they wanted

Source?

I hope Alonso comes back. He earned that standing ovation.

Also, just now putting together how loving lucky Helio was today. Dodging under Dixon, the yellow helping him on the drive through penalty.

During a commercial break, Cheever and Goodyear were arguing about Helio's penalty. Because of course Scott would argue against it.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/MarioAndretti/status/868914723286380545

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

IOwnCalculus posted:

Source?

I hope Alonso comes back. He earned that standing ovation.

Alonso proved he can win it. Button can race Monaco again next year.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Hey guys, Takuma Sato won the Indy 500. The world is a cool and good place. Ok bye.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Laughed my rear end off at Taku and TK chumming it up on the ABC6 interview.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Verizon Indycar Series 2017: 佐藤━━━(゜∀゜)━━━!!!

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

IOwnCalculus posted:

I gotta see this.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

IOwnCalculus posted:

Same, it was pretty great

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

"Come on, we gotta touch rings."

"I'm part of your club now, right?"

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Still watching through the race. Dixon's wreck was scary as gently caress, Jesus Christ.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

They interviewed Seabass about it shortly after it happened. He sounded drat shaken about it.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

I am back home now.

I am so, so god drat happy Sato won that. He was always a guilty pleasure of mine in F1, and being at the USGP when he podiumed in '04 was cool as gently caress. I drat near threw my remote at the TV when he stuffed it on the last lap 5 years ago, and being back at the track for this was so worth the money I spent over the last month.

:japan:

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Finally got home from work (was helping to run an AAU basketball tourney here), I added in an extra 30 minutes of buffer to my DVR and avoided all spoilers as much as I could...until I saw someone fav a Bad Tweet of someone mad about a Japanese driver winning on Memorial Day, to which I asked myself if Mutoh or some other Japanese driver had also entered the race.

I had about 2 minutes left in said buffer due to all the cautions, but still...HAI! HAI! HAI! SATO-SAN ICHIBAN! SATOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-SAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNN! (insert your best faux-Japanese here, including many uses of "NO ATTACKU NO CHANSU!"). Makes up for Are Nando living in Groundhog Day, sponsored by Honda.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
did anyone get Jenna Fryer's opinion of the race

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Hot take: aside from all the commercial breaks and Cheever & Goodyear, ABC's broadcast this year was actually.....good? (No more WAG cam for instance)

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Had seen the winner before starting to watch. Seeing the end/final few laps of the Japanese coverage posted here? Absolutely glorious :japan:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Basticle posted:

Hot take: aside from all the commercial breaks and Cheever & Goodyear, ABC's broadcast this year was actually.....good? (No more WAG cam for instance)

Yeah. Bestwick is actually pretty good, they let the cars and the crowd do a lot of the talking this time instead of having to analyze everything all the time.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

iospace posted:

Yeah. Bestwick is actually pretty good, they let the cars and the crowd do a lot of the talking this time instead of having to analyze everything all the time.

Really easy to do when the cars had a gently caress ton to say this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Basticle posted:

Only because Sato was considerate enough to not bring his wife along

• Locked thread