Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

The weird thing about pirates is that despite consistently taking it in, no one has tried a copycat. Closest thing is Verbinski himself doing Lone Ranger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

DeimosRising posted:

The weird thing about pirates is that despite consistently taking it in, no one has tried a copycat. Closest thing is Verbinski himself doing Lone Ranger
Isn't that what the Haunted Mansion, Battleship and other cash ins of the same Ilk were?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

FilthyImp posted:

Isn't that what the Haunted Mansion, Battleship and other cash ins of the same Ilk were?

Pirates and Haunted Mansion came out the same year and Country Bears Jamboree predated both of them.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Even with CGI, I imagine movies set mostly on the ocean are still a logistical pain.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Films like Pirates are not going to be copied that much because they cost an insane amount to make.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

FilthyImp posted:

I didn't see Haunted Mansion, but Battleship isn't remotely similar. I get what you mean with the unusual IP licensing but I mean more like movies that are overtly similar stylistically or in setting.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Battleship is more Hasbro trying to make money from their IPs the same way they were doing with Transformers. They more or less ignored board games now in favor of their other toylines like GI Joe, Micronauts, MLP, and ROM.

Somehow it seems appropriate that Baywatch's budget is 69 million.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

The MSJ posted:

Battleship is more Hasbro trying to make money from their IPs the same way they were doing with Transformers. They more or less ignored board games now in favor of their other toylines like GI Joe, Micronauts, MLP, and ROM.

Somehow it seems appropriate that Baywatch's budget is 69 million.

Which is a shame because I'd watch the hell out of a direct to Netflix/Amazon/Whatever the gently caress D&D/MTG series. They could make it a low budget and just have fun with it embrace how cheesy everything about those games are.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Outside of Marvel has any "cinematic universe" actually taken off?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

The Fast & Furious series.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Harry Potter if that counts. X men has been consistently successful.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The DCEU is 3 movies in and already grossed 2 billion dollars.

Although they were slow to actually become a cinematic universe, X-Men have been at an upswing lately.

Edit:
F&F is more of a normal movie series until the Hobbes/Shaw movie takes off.

Harry Potter also has only one cinematic spinoff so far but if you count The Cursed Child and the various stories and essays Rowling wrote after the movies it's a universe that challenge Star Wars.

Speaking of which, with Rogue One and the cartoons, Star Wars also counts as a successful example.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 03:31 on May 28, 2017

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

The MSJ posted:

F&F is more of a normal movie series until the Hobbes/Shaw movie takes off.

Fast 5 has a character that draws from different movies with different leads to bring together a team to take on their biggest challenge yet. It's The Avengers a year before The Avengers.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Len posted:

Which is a shame because I'd watch the hell out of a direct to Netflix/Amazon/Whatever the gently caress D&D/MTG series. They could make it a low budget and just have fun with it embrace how cheesy everything about those games are.

I think they still have plans for a D&D movie, at least.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Every Pirates movie is wayyyyy too long

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Oh god there was a third direct to video D&D movie

And it was named after the splatbook with the pedophile bad guy in it

https://www.slideshare.net/MewChan/dd-35-book-of-vile-darkness (pages 17 and 18)

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

It gets brought up about once a year but the third (and I'll argue the second) Dungeons & Dragons films are both good DTV films and probably are better than anything out new this weekend.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Sir Kodiak posted:

Fast 5 has a character that draws from different movies with different leads to bring together a team to take on their biggest challenge yet. It's The Avengers a year before The Avengers.

All of those characters are from movies called some variation of Fast and Furious, they're just sequels.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Yeah I don't think the whole disparate films eventually the together thing that Marvel did was ever really attempted by anyone before. Save maybe for Universal and the old Monster movies, or Toho"s Godzilla tying Rodan and Mothra in.

I suppose the closest is AvP, but gently caress that noise.

Or, I guess, Freddy v Jason.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Marvel are the first to really pull it off in any meaningful way, and to stick to some sort of overarching plan. The DC films might keep coming since they make enough money but they're doing a lovely job of following the same blueprint.

The Universal series crossovers came late in the game after they started running out of ideas, and decided to have their monsters fight each other.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Why didn't Freddy vs. Jason 2 happen? Didn't he first one do pretty well, was it a licensing thing, or no one cared?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Skwirl posted:

All of those characters are from movies called some variation of Fast and Furious, they're just sequels.

That makes sense if what we're talking about is marketing. That, basically, the MCU is just a bunch of sequels with an unusual naming scheme.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Just got out of pirates. It was...about 2 hours and 10 minutes.

My thoughts:

Things I liked:
1. The guillotine gag.
2. Paul's minute of screen time.
3. The zombie sharks being handled by the ghost crew like primitive torpedoes.
4. Barbossa's all gold ship and captains quarters.

WTF moments:
1. Weirdly mean toward women. At one point Jack is forced at gunpoint to marry a woman but she's FAT and UGLY. Then the girl character who's an educated and rebellious explorer/scientist (lots of girl power dialogue) doesn't have much personality beyond "sassy" and is ogled by all the men all the time.
2. It features the stolen diary of Galileo the woman character's dad gave to her as a baby before she was abandoned (surprise its Barbossa) with this big fuckoff ruby slapped on the front that, when removed, reveals National Treasure-style secrets on the front cover (written in modern English).
3. In the final battle, Jack fights the mermaid on the front of ghost ship's bow for no reason at all but to throw a few more dollars on screen.

I knew what I was expecting going in, and it delivered exactly that. A C-grade swashbuckling experience. I feel already the movie fading out of my mind as I write this.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I know Asylum makes ripoff movies, but I wish the ultra-shameless 70s/80s distributors still existed that would release say Cutthroat Island right now and title it Pirates of the Deadly Caribbean or whatever.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Until POTC 1 it was commonly held that pirate movies were a dead genre following the large scale failures of Nate & Hayes and Cuthroat Island. There was maybe a couple other ones too. The Island starring Michael Caine and David Warner comes across like a really really dark version of Hook from a decade earlier. The only successful pirate movie I can think of from the 80s and 90s would be Muppet Treasure Island.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
waterworld was also a headline bust.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

I've never thought of waterworld as a pirate movie.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Mad Max Fury Road was sort of a pirate movie, set in a world without oceans.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Eastbound Spider posted:

I've never thought of waterworld as a pirate movie.

I think it is because there is a treasure map, and robing each other on water.

through there is no crew really. how important is that element?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Casimir Radon posted:

Until POTC 1 it was commonly held that pirate movies were a dead genre following the large scale failures of Nate & Hayes and Cuthroat Island. There was maybe a couple other ones too. The Island starring Michael Caine and David Warner comes across like a really really dark version of Hook from a decade earlier. The only successful pirate movie I can think of from the 80s and 90s would be Muppet Treasure Island.

Goddamn, someone else saw and remembers The Island. You are exactly correct, too. I had never thought of it that way.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The MSJ posted:

Mad Max Fury Road was sort of a pirate movie, set in a world without oceans.

When you think about it, isn't everything a pirate movie?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Alhazred posted:

When you think about it, isn't everything a pirate movie?

I know all mine are

:downsrim:

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

The MSJ posted:

Speaking of which, with Rogue One and the cartoons, Star Wars also counts as a successful example.

I think you mean Cinematic Galaxy

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Please do not talk about pirating movies on this subforum.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Kevin Smith's View Askewniverse? :v:
(That's the actual name of all his interconnected films, I didn't make that up)

FilthyImp posted:

Yeah I don't think the whole disparate films eventually the together thing that Marvel did was ever really attempted by anyone before. Save maybe for Universal and the old Monster movies, or Toho"s Godzilla tying Rodan and Mothra in.

The classic Toho Showa era Godzilla films brought in a whole bunch of monsters from unrelated standalone films: Mothra, Rodan and Varan all had their own self-titled films (and Mothra had it's own trilogy later on) Baragon came from Frankenstein Conquers the World (which also had a sequel), Manda came from the '63 film Atragon and Gorosaurus came from King Kong Escapes. Destroy All Monsters was pretty much the Avengers of the Godzilla shared universe.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Kevin Smith's View Askewniverse? :v:
(That's the actual name of all his interconnected films, I didn't make that up)

The classic Toho Showa era Godzilla films brought in a whole bunch of monsters from unrelated standalone films: Mothra, Rodan and Varan all had their own self-titled films (and Mothra had it's own trilogy later on) Baragon came from Frankenstein Conquers the World (which also had a sequel), Manda came from the '63 film Atragon and Gorosaurus came from King Kong Escapes. Destroy All Monsters was pretty much the Avengers of the Godzilla shared universe.

If you're gonna count K Smith you have to count Sandler as well. Pretty sure they both have Dantes in their continuity.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

syscall girl posted:

If you're gonna count K Smith you have to count Sandler as well. Pretty sure they both have Dantes in their continuity.

Boo this pun. Boo it!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
A few pages back, but I really wish that different comedy groups over time had all Met Frankenstein. Cheech & Chong Meet Frankenstein, Monty Python Meets Frankenstein, Key & Peele Meet Frankenstein. Big missed opportunity, history.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

feedmyleg posted:

A few pages back, but I really wish that different comedy groups over time had all Met Frankenstein. Cheech & Chong Meet Frankenstein, Monty Python Meets Frankenstein, Key & Peele Meet Frankenstein. Big missed opportunity, history.

Harold and Kumar go to Frankenstein's Castle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Imagine paging through Frankenstein's guestbook.

• Locked thread