Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

AstheWorldWorlds posted:

Rock beats Trump in the primary. Booker wins Dem primary. Contest is between The Rock and Booker in 2020. Rock wins, dazzles the masses with his charisma while the GOP party machine rolls back the bulk of the progressive era.

How do you like my political horror fiction?

http://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2017/05/28/sotu-booker-too-soon-to-revoke-kushner-clearance.cnn

sounds a lot like mccain being deeply disturbed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Wasn't there a "Presidential Fitness Test" or something like it that they made kids take in elementary or middle schools? Shouldn't presidents be fit as hell? I mean, Obama looked really worn-out by the time he left the White House, but I bet you that, after 4 months of leaving his old post, the guy can still play some b-ball. Meanwhile, Trump can't be assed to walk a 640 meter distance.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Chilichimp posted:

Nice PM meltdown, why don't you stop being a pedant and acknowledge the possibility of certain districts in the US (mainly rural) being so firmly red that democrats either don't run or have no chance.

That is a pretty firm source of voter suppression.

I waxed about "voting anyway" a few pages ago, so we are probably on the same side here, but telling someone a ballot condition where no democrats have a chance in the age of scientific gerrymandering seems like a foot-in-mouth kind of statement.

I'm sorry you're being an idiot. I was talking to someone else about ballots and you decided to barge in and start talking about individual races. I took it to PMs because you weren't the person I was debating and your digression is idiotic. Thanks for confirming it for everyone else.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Wark Say posted:

Wasn't there a "Presidential Fitness Test" or something like it that they made kids take in elementary or middle schools? Shouldn't presidents be fit as hell? I mean, Obama looked really worn-out by the time he left the White House, but I bet you that, after 4 months of leaving his old post, the guy can still play some b-ball. Meanwhile, Trump can't be assed to walk a 640 meter distance.

It was popular back in the late 80s/early 90s, Bush Sr had Schwarzenegger as the spokesman(?) for it. I don't recall it being a thing in to the late 90s/early 00s but my school district still had it and required things like running a mile in under 7 minutes and doing 40 pushups in a minute.

If Trump can do a single pushup right now, or even walk a mile in under an hour without collapsing and gasping for air, I'd be surprised.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

maskenfreiheit posted:

I don't think the cake is what's going to cause this Redditor's parents to pitch a fit :gay:

My [30F] Fiancee [26F] has her heart set on a rainbow cake for our wedding, but my slightly homophobic parents invited themselves at the last minute.
gently caress 'em. They ain't paying for poo poo so if they don't like it, tough titty. Those are my two cents.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Evil Fluffy posted:

If Trump can do a single pushup right now, or even walk a mile in under an hour without collapsing and gasping for air, I'd be surprised.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/335424-trump-rode-golf-cart-while-g7-leaders-walked-through-siciliy

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Chilichimp posted:

Are you aware that unopposed candidates still appear on the ballot?

Here, man, 3rd from the top, left column. No democrat candidate.

https://www.gwinnettcounty.com/static/departments/elections/2016_Election/11.08.2016_Consolidated_Ballot_Revise_9_16_16.pdf

And a staggering number of unopposed.

Okay, let's look at this actual ballot. Let's grant for the moment that 1) our imaginary voter, C. Hilichimp, will not affect the race either way by their vote for president, because they live in GA 2) that Libertarian and Republican candidates are equally awful and that, in a race without a Democrat, C. Hilichimp's vote does not matter at all either.

There's a vote for a senator, for a representative unless Mr. Hilichimp lives in GA-10, potentially for a state senator (two districts), potentially for a state representative (six districts), for county commission chairman (might be important!), for a soil and water conservation supervisor (pick two of four, no parties assigned), and five ballot issues. This is what "what, there aren't any races besides president on your ballot?" means as a question: it doesn't mean "every race has a Democrat running in it" or "nobody lives somewhere that the same Republican has run unopposed for state senate for thirty years", because not every race will and some people do. It means "there are still going to be races that can be influenced".

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

AstheWorldWorlds posted:

Rock beats Trump in the primary. Booker wins Dem primary. Contest is between The Rock and Booker in 2020. Rock wins, dazzles the masses with his charisma while the GOP party machine rolls back the bulk of the progressive era.

How do you like my political horror fiction?

It'll be Summer Slam all over again.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

farraday posted:

I'm sorry you're being an idiot. I was talking to someone else about ballots and you decided to barge in and start talking about individual races. I took it to PMs because you weren't the person I was debating and your digression is idiotic. Thanks for confirming it for everyone else.

Even if Wendy Davis was on the ballot, she wasn't going to win. Blaming voters for not voting for her fails to recognize there is no benefit to voting for Wendy Davis or Chris Bell when they're going to lose.

If you're a participant in party Politics then you're a fool for skipping the general. But when the parties haven't convinced you to come to your county convention, I don't begrudge someone who sees they're vote won't makes a difference when that's the evidence they get.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

zonohedron posted:

Okay, let's look at this actual ballot. Let's grant for the moment that 1) our imaginary voter, C. Hilichimp, will not affect the race either way by their vote for president, because they live in GA 2) that Libertarian and Republican candidates are equally awful and that, in a race without a Democrat, C. Hilichimp's vote does not matter at all either.

There's a vote for a senator, for a representative unless Mr. Hilichimp lives in GA-10, potentially for a state senator (two districts), potentially for a state representative (six districts), for county commission chairman (might be important!), for a soil and water conservation supervisor (pick two of four, no parties assigned), and five ballot issues. This is what "what, there aren't any races besides president on your ballot?" means as a question: it doesn't mean "every race has a Democrat running in it" or "nobody lives somewhere that the same Republican has run unopposed for state senate for thirty years", because not every race will and some people do. It means "there are still going to be races that can be influenced".

I'm not arguing that people shouldn't vote, or that my suburban district doesn't have important down ballot races.

I was addressing the assertion that "there is no place in America where a democrat isn't on the ballot at all".

Seems to me a lot of Alabama, Mississippi, Texas, Oklahoma have some lovely, solid red, rural districts.

Astroclassicist
Aug 21, 2015

https://twitter.com/juliamacfarlane/status/868946674286305280

:tif:

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Before anyone starts super panicking, keep in mind that this almost certainly means that it landed in the water of the EEZ and not that a missile has literally hit Japan.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

https://twitter.com/juliamacfarlane/status/868948902426411009

The EEZ is within ~200 nautical miles off their coast.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

So the tweet is suddenly gone.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
There's a guy at Phoenix Comic Con riding around a podium and yelling at people.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Ramos posted:

So the tweet is suddenly gone.

She pulled the old one because it made it sound like a missile had actually landed in Japan, which would be a much bigger deal.

Pikavangelist
Nov 9, 2016

There is no God but Arceus
And Pikachu is His prophet

Push El Burrito posted:

There's a guy at Phoenix Comic Con riding around a podium and yelling at people.

Sean Spicer cosplay?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Paradoxish posted:

She pulled the old one because it made it sound like a missile had actually landed in Japan, which would be a much bigger deal.

thats still a big deal now. i am curious what dumbshit will do about it.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Push El Burrito posted:

Dude's a hero I don't care what he's blabbering on about.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

That's why I said what I said. :ssh:

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

maskenfreiheit posted:

I don't think the cake is what's going to cause this Redditor's parents to pitch a fit :gay:

My [30F] Fiancee [26F] has her heart set on a rainbow cake for our wedding, but my slightly homophobic parents invited themselves at the last minute.

"Should I tone down my cake to not offend my homophobic family who threw me out?"

Holy poo poo, that level of appeasement.

Make the cake gayer, have the cops drag the shitbags out if they complain.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

Wark Say posted:

Obama worked at being president in good faith. He has enough introspection to spend significant mental energy in decision making and governing.

Trump is conducting the presidency in bad faith. He will skirt through despite being unfit (physically and mentally) because he doesn't give a poo poo, and is simply unwilling or incapable of working hard.

So, the president should be fit if the president wants to bother governing in good faith .

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Chilichimp posted:

I'm not arguing that people shouldn't vote, or that my suburban district doesn't have important down ballot races.

I was addressing the assertion that "there is no place in America where a democrat isn't on the ballot at all".

Seems to me a lot of Alabama, Mississippi, Texas, Oklahoma have some lovely, solid red, rural districts.

Sure. I grew up in a solid red district and now live in a totally different somewhat-bluer district, in states where the electoral votes are a foregone conclusion, and there's always some races where a Republican (or a Libertarian!) is running unopposed. But I would be very surprised to find any ballot, anywhere in the US, that in 2016 had HRC on the ballot and no other Democrats, even in Darkest Horrible Darkness, Idaho.

However I am pretty sure we're just arguing for the sake of argument. Maybe we could argue like Canadians on Twitter instead?

Trabisnikof posted:

Even if Wendy Davis was on the ballot, she wasn't going to win. Blaming voters for not voting for her fails to recognize there is no benefit to voting for Wendy Davis or Chris Bell when they're going to lose.

There's always my favorite game, "vote against the incumbent", especially fun when the race is contested but none of the candidates are Democrats. (Besides, the benefit is in showing that a non-Republican almost won this time, so appropriate lessons can be learned, much like how it'd be better if Quist had won than it is that he lost, but it's better that he lost narrowly than if he had lost by a giant margin. (Appropriate lessons like "maybe don't send Bernie to campaign in Montana" or "maybe run somebody with some political experience whenever possible", that kind of thing.))

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Whatever happened to Wendy Davis? I wouldn't mind voting for her in 2020. She seems to have some good policy history

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Hollismason posted:

Whatever happened to Wendy Davis? I wouldn't mind voting for her in 2020. She seems to have some good policy history

She kind of ran out of steam when Abbot trounced her. To be honest can't think of any policies she was for besides being pro-choice. Her running almost seemed like a Dem me-too kind of thing.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Zil posted:

She kind of ran out of steam when Abbot trounced her. To be honest can't think of any policies she was for besides being pro-choice. Her running almost seemed like a Dem me-too kind of thing.

Yeah I remember her losing badly in the Texas Governor election. I thought she was still a Senator.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

infowars picked up rumors of hannity being canned, if anyone had any doubts

btw

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

skylined! posted:

infowars picked up rumors of hannity being canned, if anyone had any doubts

btw

What's that supposed to mean? He getting canned or (((canned)))?

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

zonohedron posted:

However I am pretty sure we're just arguing for the sake of argument. Maybe we could argue like Canadians on Twitter instead?

That's just adorable. :canada:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 41 hours!

Trabisnikof posted:

If you're a participant in party Politics then you're a fool for skipping the general. But when the parties haven't convinced you to come to your county convention, I don't begrudge someone who sees they're vote won't makes a difference when that's the evidence they get.

I'm looking at the evidence and I'm seeing that old fucks who turned out at 80% won control of everything, and the ultrawoke folk who turned out at 40% because "wake up sheeple, your one vote won't single-handedly give you everything you want, it's all rigged maaaaaaaaaaan" lost all over the country and are going to be relentlessly hosed in the rear end for at least 2 years, sooooo

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/868951710676463616
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/868953787138002950

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Mustached Demon posted:

What's that supposed to mean? He getting canned or (((canned)))?

i'm not sure i want to get my hopes up - they're spinning it as a liberal conspiracy to get rid of all the 'american patriot' journalists that are left (of course)

my only non-speculative takeaway is that it is being reported on - even if only by infowars - so he's prolly not returning.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
Can someone tell me why carry-on laptops can explode but checked laptops can't?

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Unormal posted:

if they're checked that means someone is keeping them in check from exploding, duh

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Slate is warning everyone about Mench.
https://redux.slate.com/cover-stories/2017/05/louise-mensch-and-the-rise-of-the-liberal-conspiracy-theorist.html

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Unormal posted:

They don't have the potential to explode in mid-air if they get stolen by the baggage handlers on the ground.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Young Freud posted:

They don't have the potential to explode in mid-air if they get stolen by the baggage handlers on the ground.

Ah, ok, this makes sense.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

VitalSigns posted:

I'm looking at the evidence and I'm seeing that old fucks who turned out at 80% won control of everything, and the ultrawoke folk who turned out at 40% because "wake up sheeple, your one vote won't single-handedly give you everything you want, it's all rigged maaaaaaaaaaan" lost all over the country and are going to be relentlessly hosed in the rear end for at least 2 years, sooooo

Yeah gently caress the young, the poor, and the people of color! If they didn't want to be assfucked (haha, rape!) they should have thought of that before they got disenfranchised.

Next time you pop your dick in your mouth do us all a favor and bite down, smart guy.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006

she's tory scum and I loving wish goonies would stop posting and quoting her.

but what can you do

"liberal" my loving arse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 41 hours!

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Yeah gently caress the young, the poor, and the people of color! If they didn't want to be assfucked (haha, rape!) they should have thought of that before they got disenfranchised.

Next time you pop your dick in your mouth do us all a favor and bite down, smart guy.

That's why I said "ultrawoke folk" ie not the nonvoting young and poor and the PoC who are disenfranchised, but the ones who could have voted to protect those people but chose not to exercise the privilege.

• Locked thread