Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I don't know a lot about basketball but it seems like it doesn't really have to do with stats and numbers, and it's more about The Secret.

The Secret means nothing if you don't have The Look

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Thread: who do you got?

I have Warriors in 7, a safe bet bc I don't want to be bold when both squads are gonna be in top form

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Speaking of food and BBQ and such, I just had smoked catfish for the first time and it was just plain awesome. I've had a large variety of catfish at many places in my life and this was easily top 3.

It was a place in Counce, TN called Pickwick Catfish Farm.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Dejan Bimble posted:

Oh man Zhou looks like he needs 4000 more kc a day

Steroids can be taken in a way that doesn't have a horrible impact on health, specifically synthetic T, not designer test evading drugs, injected, not oral. If the athlete taking them has monthly blood tests to monitor several factors, they'll probably be fine. For a primer you can read the faq on the steroids reddit. https://www.reddit.com/r/steroids https://www.reddit.com/r/steroids/wiki/faq Also you'll see the last bit on that page "why do steroids make lats and traps pop so much" --"There are more androgen receptors in those areas" That's why out of proportion traps and lats are a classic sign of a steroid man.

They also come with accessory drugs, anti androgens to prevent the classic shrunken testes and gyno, and further drugs that stop damage to organs, and drugs that retstart natural T production after a steroid cycle. The organ damage came in the past from taking too much and not stopping, not getting blood tests to check for problems, it's all manageable. Ideally they wouldn't have to take drugs, but there are billions of total dollars on the line, people will go to whatever lengths to reach it.

What's worrying is the fact that the majority of steroid users in the WORLD are high school boy athletes, most of whom are just blasting poo poo from china into their butt cheeks and not being responsible in any way. Those are the people in trouble, not Lebron James and his staff of personal physicians and perfectly synthesized pharmaceutical t and HGH.

The fact that like 40% of coppers seem to be on steroids is also worrying. Not a job where uncontrolled aggression is a good trait

Yes I agree. I'm not so much worried about the NBA players who can afford to do it correctly. It's more about the college and Hs students competing to be drafted onto an NBA team and will sacrifice everything for any sort of edge.

Do you think the general public realizes how prevalent doping is in the NBA? I don't think so and could see things blowing up where it's 2006 MLB all over again.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Carlosologist posted:

I have Warriors in 7, a safe bet bc I don't want to be bold when both squads are gonna be in top form

I am pretty nervous about it being one sided. Hoping for a 7 game series no matter what.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
A major starter will be injured and it will be a sweep, just like every other playoff series this year

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
The Cavs will win in 6 and defend the land

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Carlosologist posted:

Cavs in 3

Seriously tho, probably Warriors in 6. Durant will get the Finals MVP, even tho Lebron will deserve it.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

ChickenMedium posted:

The Secret means nothing if you don't have The Look

The Look means nothing if you don't have The Drive

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

TBeats posted:

The Look means nothing if you don't have The Drive

Above all, you have to make The Decision.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

chunkles posted:

The Rockets have a good record of getting twig men to beef up (Yao, Donatas). The problem is what happens after that.

I think Nick and I have to tag team you for lumping all BBQ into Southern United States, even if he is a heretic

Was going to go with something like Carolina vs Korea or Kansas City vs Korea but I figured people would take offense to being left out so I just made it inclusive.

The good BBQ place down the street from me closed but at least the Dickie's is still going strong :(

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

My mortal lock prediction for the series is: the most irritating outcome will happen.

Also lol:
https://twitter.com/nballaccess/status/868883321308274689

zoux fucked around with this message at 22:09 on May 28, 2017

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

My mortal lock prediction for the series is: the most irritating outcome will happen.

The absolute most irritating outcome would be Cleveland on the verge of a dramatic game 7 victory and Zaza or Dray injuring LeBron and the Warriors winning. I think Cleveland would riot.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

how could cleveland riot when theres Dozens of clips of someone doing something nothing like what injured lebron. Checkmate atheists

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Metapod posted:

The Cavs will win in 6 and defend the land

what land

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

cleavon little's land

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

zoux posted:

Also lol:

i'm too old to laugh at lowlight vids of a 15 year old

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Best barbecue I've ever had was Uruguayan.

Everyone should buy this book ASAP.

https://www.amazon.com/Planet-Barbecue-Steven-Raichlen/dp/0761148019

this dude has the PBS How-To Show Problem where step one is to put the whatever into your $16,000 piece of custom equipment and flip the On switch

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

EvanTH posted:

what land

America

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Maybe he could do the father/son coach thing in the NBA like Doc and Austin.

Rick posted:

This doesn't fit the timeline at all.

Stern is revising history. Kind of like ESPN scrubs all the prediction data off the site when it's embarrassingly wrong.

League tampering that's wide out in the open. If it was more out in the open we'd just have the commissioner decreeing which players went to what teams.

Dexo posted:

Put all small kids in a torture rack. To make them taller.

Also hire this Russian lady to do baby yoga

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7ihdsjIqhI

The like to dislike ratio is impressive.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

DeimosRising posted:

This year I can't see any hypothetical that pushes a non GSW/SAS/Cleveland team over the edge.

It would take injuries. KD/Curry/LBJ all go down with injuries at various points of the season and then it's more open.

Spring Break My Heart posted:

So is that just for 95 Houston? That seems like excessive qualification.

And the 1969 Celtics were the 4 seed. The oddity of a six seed winning the title becomes more intriguing when you realize the Houston Drexler/Olajuwon NCAA history. The referees fixing games to redeem two Houston legends etc.

Only twice in 70+ years.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
What does it mean for Memphis that they drafted a guy named after the leper king of Jerusalem
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wade_Baldwin_IV

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baldwin_IV_of_Jerusalem

Does it mean early glory followed by utter defeat? Can the son of two cops overcome his cursed parentage?

Where's JD

What's the meaning of this

When will the first NBA player born in Outrejordan reach the All-NBA third team

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 23:23 on May 28, 2017

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Cool Buff Man posted:

He gave Cleveland no chance to win last year either so it's not like it really matters

I have never said any LBJ team had no chance of winning a title. Two years ago the 2015 Cavaliers winning the title would've been unprecedented (even with full health) due to a variety of shortcomings. That doesn't mean they had a 0% title shot. Last year the Cavaliers improved their defense and were eligible to win the title and they did. I never excluded them.

This year the Spurs could've defeated the Warriors had Kawhi not been injured. The Cavaliers could win the title this year due to an insane amount of coasting in the regular season.

Fast Luck posted:

Are you looking at regular season Cavs numbers though? LeBron and the boys were doing the rope a dope in the regular season so those numbers will mislead you. 538 kept predicting them to lose to the Celtics

Yes, even taking into account Cavaliers coasting there's a big gap. It's more about GSWs numbers. They're playing at their highest level yet. Highest ORtg ever, fourth highest SRS ever (and they had a significant injury).

I did not have the Celtics defeating the Cavaliers.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Zogo posted:

I have never said any LBJ team had no chance of winning a title. Two years ago the 2015 Cavaliers winning the title would've been unprecedented (even with full health) due to a variety of shortcomings. That doesn't mean they had a 0% title shot. Last year the Cavaliers improved their defense and were eligible to win the title and they did. I never excluded them.

i think cool buff man was saying 538/Nate Silver gave the Cavs no shot last year, not you

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
It pains me to say it but I'll reiterate my opinion that the Cavs will do well just to make it a gentlemen's sweep. Maybe they steal a second game somewhere and take it to six. Barring an unexpected injury, of course. Or Golden State coming down with an historic case of the shookness.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Shear Modulus posted:

i think cool buff man was saying 538/Nate Silver gave the Cavs no shot last year, not you

Yeah I should have phrased it better and probably should have just said that nothing 538 says matters.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
The best three point shooting team in history with by far the highest ortg in the playoffs and the second lowest drtg this year is getting no respect I tell yah!

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

zoux posted:

Also lol:

I still can't believe this isn't JV basketball.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Also 538's basketball analysis is contextless drivel

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
If you pick the Cavaliers to win, I want to see some money on it, otherwise it's just contrarianism

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Dejan Bimble posted:

If you pick the Cavaliers to win, I want to see some money on it, otherwise it's just contrarianism

I still think the Celtics will win. That's true love.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Dejan Bimble posted:

GS has already swept two teams that would have won the east imo, and even with the serious injuries they suffered I think Utah and SAS would have been in the ECF

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

milk milk lemonade posted:

Also 538's basketball analysis is contextless drivel

I think Nate Silver/some other dude at 538 has specifically said that playoff vs. regular season LeBron breaks their model

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

zoux posted:

Also lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IV84ha3uEGg

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Dejan Bimble posted:

I'll put 20 on the Cavs towards a charity of your choice if they lose

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

Adun posted:

I think Nate Silver/some other dude at 538 has specifically said that playoff vs. regular season LeBron breaks their model

Their elo ratings are just dumb. Their player comparison models are horrific. I've never seen a single piece of basketball anything on that site that wasn't a waste of time to read. All their stuff is like cut rate Goldsberry or Lowe because they don't even really understand what they're measuring.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Metapod posted:

I'll put 20 on the Cavs towards a charity of your choice if they lose

I'd prefer you just give me the money

jase1
Aug 11, 2004

Flankensttein: A name given to a FPS gamer who constantly flanks to get kills.

"So I was playing COD yesterday, and some flankenstein came up from behind and shot me."

Dejan Bimble posted:

I put 10k on cavs to win at the beginning of the year @+400 I also put 1k on the cavs sweeping at +2500 (even though it will never happen those odds are worth it).

Cavs will win this series in 6.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Noctone posted:

It pains me to say it but I'll reiterate my opinion that the Cavs will do well just to make it a gentlemen's sweep. Maybe they steal a second game somewhere and take it to six. Barring an unexpected injury, of course. Or Golden State coming down with an historic case of the shookness.

Last year's collapse in the Finals was a level of shookness an order of magnitude higher than what would be required for them to lose this year. Them losing this year is a big upset, last year was an historic collapse. By my estimation, the Cavs have the best player in the series, and the 5th and 6th best (maybe the 4th and 6th best, Kyrie is playing real good), so the talent level is closer than you might think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Dejan Bimble posted:

I'd prefer you just give me the money

if you want to do a 20 dollar straight up bet we can do that too

• Locked thread