Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Fabricated posted:

a lot.

Also is there a reason that the Patreon is for Gaming Garbage and not literally just "pay me to keep the forums open"?

like that's about all he'd have to do. Just set a minimum monthly goal for keeping the forums open and it'd probably immediately hit that goal.

id pay a very small amount anually for this site

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

echinopsis posted:

me too it's called getting banned

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Pinterest Mom posted:

A huge part of SA's appeal over the last decade over, say, Reddit or Twitter, has been that this is the place where bigots and harassers don't get to run wild and shout down marginalised folk, and Lowtax showing that he instinctively sides with them over his website's actual userbase sucks

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Sagebrush posted:

people who do something critical to life, like making food or fixing toilets, are far more valuable to society than anyone who just pushes numbers around all day no matter HOW big the numbers are

now I need to reread The Shockwave Rider

John Brunner is good but depressing

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Pinterest Mom posted:

A huge part of SA's appeal over the last decade over, say, Reddit or Twitter, has been that this is the place where bigots and harassers don't get to run wild and shout down marginalised folk, and Lowtax showing that he instinctively sides with them over his website's actual userbase sucks

a-loving-men

that's one of the reasons I registered back when I did, people complain about "the days of PC GBS" and poo poo but I actually preferred this place with Abe & Ozma's GBS, where people were banned slurs as well as for poor spelling and grammar, with its megathreads about mocking people who wanted to build libertarian sea utopias and multi-donged robot dragon volcano bases

I almost ditched this place when the GBS 2.0 thing happened, the only reason I stuck around was YOSPOS

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

old gbs with photoshop phridays and megathreads was great. i dunno who had a bug up their butt about it but after they closed it and junked all the megathreads it never really recovered.

surprise, hammering down the attitudes and behaviors that the community generated organically and replacing them with your idea of how the place "should" run leads to community disengagement

remember when it used to be bannable to say "lulz?" lowtax now is literally mad that people aren't doing things for the lulz any more

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

eschaton posted:

a-loving-men

that's one of the reasons I registered back when I did, people complain about "the days of PC GBS" and poo poo but I actually preferred this place with Abe & Ozma's GBS, where people were banned slurs as well as for poor spelling and grammar, with its megathreads about mocking people who wanted to build libertarian sea utopias and multi-donged robot dragon volcano bases

I almost ditched this place when the GBS 2.0 thing happened, the only reason I stuck around was YOSPOS

:yossame:

the gbs of that era was definitely not the same as the gbs of circa 2004 but it was its own, good, thing. gbs 2.0 destroyed all that and built a mountain of poo poo whose smell drove people away from wanting to join and check out the rest of the forums.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

echinopsis posted:

buy a new avatar occasionally

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

like, for instance, the GBS news threads i think were something that was specifically cited by lowtax/someone as a thing that they hated. but moving them all to D&D was a disaster. in the prior situation, someone would post a funny news story in GBS and then it'd be lighthearted discussion among all the random forumgoers and someone would make a photoshop of it and it'd go on for a few pages and be cheeky and fun. and yeah there would be half a dozen threads like that per week but whatever.

in D&D it would have to get posted in one of the existing threads, because making a new topic for just one news article would get the thread instaclosed, and a bunch of insufferable hydrocephalic college philosophers would show up and deconstruct it and it would disintegrate into zizekesque pseudointellectualism and anyone trying to participate would get steamrolled into the ground by fishmech or smg or whoever.

garbage.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i just realized there's no link from lowtax's GG channel to the patreon campaign.

like anywhere. i have no idea how he expects whatever audience he has to go find it, as opposed to just assuming he's given up on gaming garbage again.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

infernal machines posted:

i just realized there's no link from lowtax's GG channel to the patreon campaign.

like anywhere. i have no idea how he expects whatever audience he has to go find it, as opposed to just assuming he's given up on gaming garbage again.

lowtax is really more of an ideas man, it turns out

(and some of the ideas are apparently pretty bad ones)

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc
To be fair I do recall Lowtax once saying the GBS rebirth of Halloween 2013 was never his idea and he never liked it.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i dont understand how people say gbs is bad or good. there's photoshop threads in there now so maybe im looking at the wrong gbs. im not going to click on it because the thread title is probably better than the thread but i 've thought about "Pro Bathroom Life Hack - Have 2 Brands of Toilet Paper Ready To Go" more than once this week. and there's a juicero thread? not sure why yospos is complaining

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

hifi posted:

not sure why yospos is complaining

you must be new here

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3809329&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post469363969

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

pram posted:

lol if you dont have a lowtax ban under your belt (i have two :smug:)

nice. i only have te one I think. shameful

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

big scary monsters posted:

you must be new here

best start believing in retarded forums for assholes, you're in one :cthulhu:

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

syscall girl posted:

best start believing in retarded forums for assholes, you're in one :cthulhu:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2jUhnCU9iA

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

I think we just need some more mentally ill posters to turn this place around.

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

El Mero Mero posted:

There's never a shortage.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

El Mero Mero posted:

*raises paw*

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

rear end posted:

There's never a shortage.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

El Mero Mero posted:

turn your monitor on

pram
Jun 10, 2001
yeah but it needs to be the funny kind of mental illness not the sadbrains we have

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

pram posted:

yeah but it needs to be the funny kind of mental illness not the sadbrains we have

Someone summon Ian Mclean back. Unless he really was Kirk. I forget.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

pram posted:

some goons seem to think caring about things is a mental illness.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
what happened to the johnny five aces guy

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

RISCy Business posted:

what happened to the johnny five aces guy

it's up your butt dogg

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
i bet i can get the remaining 50% of the new forums code up to production standard if lowtax will only let me

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
well the initial 50% would have to exist first

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

but we were told it was production quality just half done

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

yeah, we even got a bunch of screenshots of a mockup/early alpha

i'll believe it when he posts the git repo

pram
Jun 10, 2001
elixir titan is great you just cant see it

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
the forums slowly turning to poo poo made me realize that I was spending way too much time on here anyway so really it was a blessing in disguise

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

the forums slowly turning to poo poo made me realize that I was spending way too much time on here anyway so really it was a blessing in disguise

lol if your life involves anything beyond hanging out in the 'pos

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
i always used black baby goku as the representative embodiment of the overall health of the forums. and he's permabanned again.

lol

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

i always used black baby goku as the representative embodiment of the overall health of the forums. and he's permabanned again.

lol

weird

pram
Jun 10, 2001

lol

:thunk:

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

to be more specific, they've persisted through so many probes, bans, and permas that I thought they'd be around forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
frankly as far as my posting career goes i'm only getting started

• Locked thread