Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/ArmsControlWonk/status/868948806498263040

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

that tweet was deleted what did it say

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Said it landed in Japan sparking emergency cabinet meetings

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
It's been corrected to say Japan's EEZ rather than just Japan, which caused a slight panic

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Pesticide20 posted:

It's been corrected to say Japan's EEZ rather than just Japan, which caused a slight panic

Yeah I was queueing up The End

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Cologne is a cool and good city what the gently caress is there possibly not to like

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Kölsch?

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Is delicious in its own right and the perfect beer for the circumstances, beginning the cycle anew

Also my little German town just opened its own little bike stop bar thing, I'm so happy about this!

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

Waroduce posted:

Cologne is a cool and good city what the gently caress is there possibly not to like

I legitimately had the best two weeks of my life there and it left such an impact we've been exploring moving to Germany because my wife is technically a citizen.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Please let me probate these heathen fucks

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Fifteen years ago, I would have made some joke involving Americans not being able to tell beer from pisswater, but now that America actually has a much wider selection of beers with good regional availability, I am at a complete loss for words that people would still call Koelsch a good beer.

There's like ONE Koelsch brewery that makes non-poo poo Koelsch.

You've got to have a fetish for light beers or something to like the way Koelsch tastes and goes down...and how loving expensive it is. Those "Koelsch Kranz" deals where you get a whole spindle of baby-glasses have some novelty-value, but you're getting poo poo-tier Koelsch for places to offer affordable prices on those. And Jesus Christ, the traditional size of a Koelsch is POINT TWO liters.

It's a shot of light beer :psyduck:

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

CommieGIR and Dead Reckoning debates are going to end in a thumbs up or thumbs down ruling by me. Thumbs up, I adorn your av with.. something. Thumbs down? Probation.

Everyone clear on this?

We want Barabbas!

Alternatively...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bQnxlHZsjY

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Fifteen years ago, I would have made some joke involving Americans not being able to tell beer from pisswater, but now that America actually has a much wider selection of beers with good regional availability, I am at a complete loss for words that people would still call Koelsch a good beer.

You've got to have a fetish for light beers or something to like the way Koelsch tastes and goes down...and how loving expensive it is. Those "Koelsch Kranz" deals where you get a whole spindle of baby-glasses have some novelty-value, but you're getting poo poo-tier Koelsch for places to offer affordable prices on those. And Jesus Christ, the traditional size of a Koelsch is POINT TWO liters.

Kölsch by most country's standards isn't bad exactly. But when you are in the country that has a reputation for making some of the world's best - and a very well earned reputation at that - not bad is just not enough. Every other place I've tried the local in Germany left it for dead.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I've never had actual Kolsch in Germany so I can't speak to the weird sizing or pricing but...
There is a reason that Americans drink lighter beers than you. Well, a lot of reasons but one is that my summer here in the American midwest averages 7°C higher than yours in Germany. Light, crisp lager is a good thing in a hot summer.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
We lost another SEAL today, this time to critical Fleet Week operations where their chute failed over the Hudson

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

maffew buildings posted:

We lost another SEAL today, this time to critical Fleet Week operations where their chute failed over the Hudson

That is lovely

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Duzzy Funlop posted:

There's also stuff called "session" ale/IPA which is like 3-4% because the idea is to allow you to maintain a happy buzz all afternoon without lapsing into drunken immobility.

I'm liking what diff breweries are doing with citrusy hop blends, lactobacillus, and sours, but you won't find me turning down a middle of the road Trappist ordering straight out of a monestary.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Pesticide20 posted:

That is lovely

Agreed. I know the public loves that poo poo and it's great for PR but the cost when something goes wrong is too catastrophic for me to think "hey we should have them do this"

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Stultus Maximus posted:

I've never had actual Kolsch in Germany so I can't speak to the weird sizing or pricing but...
There is a reason that Americans drink lighter beers than you. Well, a lot of reasons but one is that my summer here in the American midwest averages 7°C higher than yours in Germany. Light, crisp lager is a good thing in a hot summer.

Koelsch isn't a lager though.

Listen, I'm not saying that there aren't occasions were lighter beers have their uses (heck, I'm planning on going redneck-tubing with a 30-pack of Keystone light in Oak Creek canyon tomorrow, because it's just lovely enough for the occasion), but we're talking about Koelsch in Cologne here. It's a 0.2l glass of beer in a country where you could get a regular sized, equally mild (not "light" as in watered down) Pilsener for less money-per-volume.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Yah well Germans also drink bottled water non stop despite their tap water being perfectly fine. I think one regions obsession with cute little beer shots can be given a pass

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
And drinking carbonated water is for loving animals

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Listen, I'm not saying that there aren't occasions were lighter beers have their uses (heck, I'm planning on going redneck-tubing with a 30-pack of Keystone light in Oak Creek canyon tomorrow, because it's just lovely enough for the occasion), but we're talking about Koelsch in Cologne here. It's a 0.2l glass of beer in a country where you could get a regular sized, equally mild (not "light" as in watered down) Pilsener for less money-per-volume.

Might I suggest literally anything else? PBR, Busch, really literally anything else (except Natural Light). Keystone exists for college students who aren't there on their parents' dime and that's it.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Never drink lighthouse I'd rather drink an alcoholics piss

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

milk milk lemonade posted:

And drinking carbonated water is for loving animals

It's what I drink when I go out since I gave up booze

Stultus Maximus posted:

Might I suggest literally anything else? PBR, Busch, really literally anything else (except Natural Light). Keystone exists for college students who aren't there on their parents' dime and that's it.

Coors light was what I drank when I was in the states for the real white trash feel

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Why would you take that most delicious life sustaining thing on the planet and carbonate it. So confusing.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I think Coors Light has the highest ABV of the mass produced light beers

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

maffew buildings posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mu1QJbKpBjw

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkuM1wSH5hI

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

milk milk lemonade posted:

Why would you take that most delicious life sustaining thing on the planet and carbonate it. So confusing.

Because it's the closest thing I've found to the crispness of an actual beer and zero percent stuff seems like the start of a slippery slope to me :shrug:

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I don't give a gently caress about the alcohol its the god drat calorie count that is making me stop.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Stultus Maximus posted:

Keystone exists for college students who aren't there on their parents' dime and that's it.

Doesn't that describe Duzzy?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I'm just going to continue this over here...

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

I drank Bo Ice once

It was terrible

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
See this is why I don't drink beer. So many different options that everyone cares entirely too much about, and the calories are brutal for the alcohol you get.

Gimme cocktails all day instead.

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014

I like Mattis but im kinda sick of the "Mad Dog ISIS Boogeyman KILL." schtick. All it does is create FB bait for Conservatives who prop Mattis up as the single redeeming act Trump has accomplished.

SecDEFs are only as efficient as the POTUS they are serving. Mattis talks a good game and looks the part but ive no faith in a Trump Cabinet when push comes to shove.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

http://www.fresnobee.com/news/nation-world/national/article153150474.html

quote:

For students across the country, the traditional eighth-grade trip to Washington is a chance to join the throngs on the Mall and perhaps spot some of the world's most powerful people on the grounds of the U.S. Capitol.

But a group from South Orange Middle School in New Jersey will probably remember their trip to the nation's capital last week for another reason: It was the occasion for a pointed snub of House Speaker Paul D. Ryan, R-Wis.

About half of the roughly 150 students on the trip refused to have their photo taken with Ryan when he briefly joined them outside the capitol Thursday. Instead, they stood across the street while Ryan posed with their peers.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The Iron Rose posted:

Gimme cocktails all day instead.

poo poo yeah, half liter of gin, half liter of campari, and about a half liter of sweet vermouth, then fill the rest with ice. Whammo, jug of negroni for your kayaking.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

HELL YEAH

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Kids know what's up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

facialimpediment posted:

Kids know what's up.

Hey either they're going to be able to go to mars or they're going to ride on the fury road. Both of these are cool.

• Locked thread