Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Fuego Fish posted:

"Mary Sue" these days just means "a character who isn't a man". If she can fight, or has practical skills, or there's anything remotely interesting about her beyond the way she looks, all the MRA nerds will crawl out of the woodwork to shriek about how she's a Mary Sue. ...Rey from Star Wars, it happens all the time.

Rey may not be a Mary Sue exactly but she is not a very good character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
She is a Star Wars character, if you are looking for deep characters you are in the wrong franchise.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"Mary Sue" is a dumb thing said by people who are incapable of actually articulating arguments about characters and latch onto a poorly defined phrase which they can pretend means something.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

She is a Star Wars character, if you are looking for deep characters you are in the wrong franchise.

The guy with light sabers on his knees ( and everywhere else) was extremely deep

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Like Rey's character is very basic but so was Luke's and Vader was barely a character at all.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I only associate Mary Sues with fanfiction because that was where it and its male equivalent Gary Stu were most noticeable and obvious.

"Hello I am the secret 3rd child of Goku and Chi-Chi, behold SSJ7." Right before sighing and beating everyone simultaneously with a pinky.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ImpAtom posted:

"Mary Sue" is a dumb thing said by people who are incapable of actually articulating arguments about characters and latch onto a poorly defined phrase which they can pretend means something.

The only time in any film that the term has ever actually meant anything is the Resident Evil live action movies with Alice.

That is like, THE ONLY character you could call a Mary Sue, and even then it's more a Self Insert Fanfic character instead of a real Mary Sue.

And most of that is because the main actress is married to the writer and director of the movies and they use the movies as basically vacations to gently caress around. So on some level you really can't hold it against them.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Hey Kirito in SAO is also A Mary Sue.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I dunno. Son of two fan favorites from the future, capable of going Super Saiyan right after its introduction, uses an inexplicable sword and needlessly complex hand gestures, and is introduced effortlessly stomping the series villain who decimated most of the cast.

If anyone other than Toriyama wrote, Trunks would be Mary Sue as gently caress.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Then Trunks fucks up in a way that makes everything worse.

Twice

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

That's why Trunks is not a Mary Sue, but cleverly disguised as one before the Absolute Despair trap is sprung and you're dragged down into his hell

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Burkion posted:

it's more a Self Insert Fanfic character instead of a real Mary Sue.

Isn't that the literal definition of a Mary Sue.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Pureauthor posted:

It just occurred to me that we missed out on an opportunity for Zamas to exploit his immortal body by using Kaioken x100.

Don't worry. Your Friendly Neighborhood Toyotaro has your back! Zamasu will use Kaioken x 1000 to beat the crap out of Zeno when they call him in the manga
Then Goku will proceed to effortlessly beat Zamasu.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

a cartoon duck posted:

Isn't that the literal definition of a Mary Sue.

It's complicated.

A true, blue, honest to God Mary Sue is some one who is absolutely perfect in every way. Not necessarily a self insert character, just some one who is so pure and beautiful that no one would go against them and everyone agrees with them. She has no real flaws, except what would make her cute or whatever, and can do no wrong. Villains, if they are capable of hating her, don't hate her because of the normal reasons, but because she's so great and they're jealous.

Alice doesn't entirely fit in that category, and a character like Rey absolutely does not and it's really stupid to try and say otherwise.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I just caught up on the last 3 or so episodes.
This show loving owns. Gohan owns. The Pride Troopers own. Robot dudes own. Caulifla owns. Everything owns.

I feel like the visuals have just been getting better over time. They did a lot to made each universe look distinct, and they've been messing around with cool color effects for attacks like with Caulifla's blast in this episode. It looks way better than the beginning of the series, that's for sure.

EDIT: Mary Sue arguments are loving dumb and whoever brought this up and/or continued the conversation sucks.

EDIT 2: Super-Buff workout man and Giant Marshmallow Sailor Scout also own

EDIT 3 TO GO FURTHER BEYOND: Master Roshi molesting Puar didn't own tho. That was kinda really weird and creepy.

Augus fucked around with this message at 20:40 on May 28, 2017

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Can we not turn into TV Tropes in the middle of a dragon ball thread

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!
I'm still half expecting this Frieza thing to end with Yamcha showing up, Goku being like "oh wait we have Yamcha" and sending frieza back to hell immediately and then not understand why everyone is mad at him. "I got rid of Frieza like you wanted whats wrong?"

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Kithkar posted:

I'm still half expecting this Frieza thing to end with Yamcha showing up, Goku being like "oh wait we have Yamcha" and sending frieza back to hell immediately and then not understand why everyone is mad at him. "I got rid of Frieza like you wanted whats wrong?"

they definitely should've thought of yamcha first but couldn't find him because he was like, drowning his sorrows at a nearby bar or something over not being chosen

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
Freeza's demand is going to be an apology for killing him.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

He's going to ask for Goku's body, next is the Goku White arc.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

a cartoon duck posted:

He's going to ask for Goku's body, next is the Goku White arc.

Golden Goku.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Gokool

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

gokooler sounds like it'd be a dlc character for fusions

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Is 17 actually a "nihilist" or is he more like "Well if the universe is probably gonna get destroyed I'd rather spend my last day with my family than smelling Vegeta's power-up farts"? This suggests they actually grew up, as opposed to the fight-addict monkey boys.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Fuego Fish posted:

"Mary Sue" these days just means "a character who isn't a man". If she can fight, or has practical skills, or there's anything remotely interesting about her beyond the way she looks, all the MRA nerds will crawl out of the woodwork to shriek about how she's a Mary Sue. Furiosa from Mad Max, Rey from Star Wars, it happens all the time.

If you say so but you are literally the first person I've ever heard imply this.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

You're not the first person I've ever heard imply this because it does happen

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

All this Mary-Sue poo poo came out of people in the embryonic days of fanzines, where a lot of people (largely women) had their fan-fiction published, usually about Star Trek. I think the term refers to the perfect angel type of guest-star who just happened to have the same initials as the author who had no flaws and also got to shtup Spock. It has often been misapplied to "female characters, especially those who are successful in action/battle contexts," due to a telephone game through fandom culture.

This doesn't stop idiots from being wrong, of course, as they're idiots. It's entirely possible Caulifla or Kale or whoever will be bad characters (in the sense of writing quality) but merely being strong doesn't seem to do it.

e: Like, if this thing with Super Saiyan had JUST come up you could have made a case, but the Super Saiyan Bargain Sale has been running for decades

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Cali and Kale rule and I will hear no ill spoken of them

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

has anyone even said anything bad about them or are people just kvetching over the possibility of a theoretical someone on the internet out there not liking a thing

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

reignofevil posted:

If you say so but you are literally the first person I've ever heard imply this.

Then you don't pay a lot of attention because that happens all the time.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

New Leaf posted:

Miller High Life, the Champa of Beerus.

please die

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Brother Entropy posted:

has anyone even said anything bad about them or are people just kvetching over the possibility of a theoretical someone on the internet out there not liking a thing

Yeah, I haven't really seen anyone complain about either character in general. The way Cauli went Super Saiyan had a really bizarre explanation, but the way I see it Cabba just explained the way your body reacts to emotional distress or something, and she was able to imitate it.

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Brother Entropy posted:

Someone, somewhere on the internet doesn't agree with me, therefore I can never know peace.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Brother Entropy posted:

i am just enthusiastic

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Can't wait to see Kale Hulk out next week.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

New Leaf posted:

Calling it now, Universe 6 will win the tournament, and their wish will be to fuse with Universe 7 for the delicious Earth Food. Frost and Frieza will form a new space empire to battle the Saiyans, now commanded by the new Admiral Vegeta. Goku will be there too, probably.. Bulma will have to rebuild Capsule Corp from the ground up. Dende will have to make entirely new Dragonballs, along with a sleek new Lookout. The Saiyan children will suddenly be relevant again, training Pan and Bra and fighting against the dangers of the new fused Earth. And finally, Champa and Beerus will fuse to avoid one of them being destroyed, and will become the mighty Miller High Life, the Champa of Beerus.

This is all great, but

New Leaf posted:

Miller High Life, the Champa of Beerus.

should be the new thread title.

Also, is it an accident that both Cauli and Kale are so close to Kali, the Hindu goddess? On another show, I'd think so, but this show is so into pun names...

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Momomo posted:

Yeah, I haven't really seen anyone complain about either character in general. The way Cauli went Super Saiyan had a really bizarre explanation, but the way I see it Cabba just explained the way your body reacts to emotional distress or something, and she was able to imitate it.

it actually zoomed in on her back sparkles

cabba's explanation was dumb in a bad way but the rest of the stuff with the u6 crew was good

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I did like Cabba's feeble attempt to do it the old fashioned way and make Caulifla super mad, but he just can't nut up and do it properly.

Honestly nothing about Super Saiyan makes any sense. At the very least you'd think that the race of alien super warriors who presumably trained themselves to the gills and constantly put themselves and their friends in extreme danger would have produced tons of Super Saiyans between the original one and Goku. And then you have 8 year olds going SSJ seemingly because they tripped and stubbed their toe.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Manatee Cannon posted:

Yeah, and it could be an approximation of how he felt when he got angry. Like when you get sad or nervous, your chest feels tight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Manatee Cannon posted:

cabba's explanation was dumb in a bad way but the rest of the stuff with the u6 crew was good

Cabba's explanation rules because, like, there's no way Goku is pissed enough to just turn into any kind of Super Saiyan all the time. I have a feeling he figured that out for SSJ1 and taught it to Gohan after the initial transformation in the time chamber, but then it's super obvious that Vegeta never figured that out and he just works himself up into a weird tantrum every time he transforms into any stage of it, up to and including Blue :allears:

• Locked thread