Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Also the last one is "shot suppression." I write this in case anyone else was like me and spent 20 minute wondering what "shots up" referred to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

gently caress John Scott. Is there anyway to watch the E:60 in Canada without resorting to :filez: ?

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Only good outdoor game is in - 20 weather. You're up, Winnipeg.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

JoelJoel posted:

Only good outdoor game is in - 20 weather. You're up, Winnipeg.

They're too scared to put one in January. That's why the one last year was in October and it was 9 degrees celcius.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
The teams don't get any extra money from those outdoor games. What the Penguins got in exchange for the Stadium Series home game, for example, was a makeup cost for losing a PPG Arena home game. The money on top of that, the NHL kept.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

eXXon posted:

Who's ready for uhhh Matthews vs Kuznetsov, the next great rivalry?

You mean Kadri v Ovi right

Gio posted:

winter classic was an already stale gimmick that was murdered by league over-saturation. once the novelty of having an outdoor game wore off it was just one of eighty-two boring regular season games.

On the other hand I went to one and it was fun

I wouldn't go to one across the Detroit border again tho because whooo boy that drive back was a fantastic disaster

Thufir posted:

Have the all stars compete in Crashed Ice https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FC635rC_1Us

I'd support this

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Jamwad Hilder posted:

It should be 1 point for an OT/SO win nothing for losing in my opinion

Better yet, ditch the shootout and allow ties, except both teams get 0 points for a tie

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Where does Arizona end up if they do move?

They dangle it in front of Quebec and then Bettman screws them over and gives it to Seattle.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

hyper from Pixie Sticks posted:

They dangle it in front of Quebec and then Bettman screws them over and gives it to Seattle.

I guess Kansas City has completely given up eh?

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Xtanstic posted:

I honestly don't know. The key element here is screwing Quebec, which happens so often I'm surprised Article 1 of the NHL constitution isn't 'lol gently caress u quebec'

Lost Season
Nov 28, 2013

Xtanstic posted:

I think the big issue with Kansas City is that the arena they'd use is owned by the same group that owns the Kings, and the league really wants to avoid the conflict of interest. Plus, I don't know that KC has anyone motivated to bring hockey to the town in the same way Seattle, Quebec, and Las Vegas do.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Montreal took on John Scott in exchange of Quebec not getting a team is a good theory

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Teemu Pokemon posted:

They should move the winter classic/ASG so they coincide and do the whole week outdoors and that's it

Outdoor skills comp would be the raddest poo poo

I've been saying this for a couple years now. They need to cash in on the spectacle.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

i am the bird posted:

I've been saying this for a couple years now. They need to cash in on the spectacle.

They could even risk doing it in a city with a football stadium and no professional hockey team like Green Bay, or Seattle, or Denver.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

i am the bird posted:

They need to cash in on the spectacle.

It's this logic that has led them to increase the number of outdoor games in a season

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Powershift posted:

They could even risk doing it in a city with a football stadium and no professional hockey team like Green Bay, or Seattle, or Denver.

:golfclap:

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Lost Season posted:

I think the big issue with Kansas City is that the arena they'd use is owned by the same group that owns the Kings, and the league really wants to avoid the conflict of interest. Plus, I don't know that KC has anyone motivated to bring hockey to the town in the same way Seattle, Quebec, and Las Vegas do.

I seem to recall reading an article not long ago that the KC arena was making money hand over fist with just concerts, the odd college basketball game/tournament, and other small time stuff and that it was proof maybe arenas like that don't need an anchor tenant any more.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Eric the Mauve posted:

Better yet, ditch the shootout and allow ties, except both teams get 0 points for a tie

Then you have some games worth less than others, which is still pretty bad.

Way to make just going back to W/L look good.

Gio posted:

there's only so much you can do to make the regular season interesting. personally i think it'd be cool if the season were significantly shorter, but obviously that'll never happen because teams need to make money. i think it'd be cool though to have a 24 game season, one game a week.

imo

e: and yeah i know that opens the door to more lovely teams making the playoffs

Emulating the NFL is dumb poo poo for idiots.

A 58 60 game season would let every team play every other team, once at home and once away.

EDIT: This is also conducive to abandoning conferences and divisions and just having the best 16* teams in the playoffs.

*You'd even be able to throw out arguments against a 12- or even 8-team playoff tournament that are made from fairness, since equitable schedule, but the owners will never give up the extra revenue or the free labor.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 22:57 on May 28, 2017

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Ties are for soccer.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

dont be mean to me posted:

A 58 60 game season would let every team play every other team, once at home and once away.

BUT MAH RIVALRIES

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Everyone knows that rivalries are forged during the playoffs. I submit that all teams should therefore qualify for the playoffs.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You all have terrible ideas and should be ashamed of yourselves.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
If you think the NHL is going to give up 25+% of their revenue by shortening the season you're an idiot

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Way to make just going back to W/L look good.

If only there was a way to have all games worth the same amount of points. If only all games could be 3 point games. Man, it's too difficult to figure out how there could be a way that was possible. Because surely, if the NHL can't figure it out, somebody like me, a common fan, cannot figure it out.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
The (dumb) argument is that 3 point games would invalidate all the old point records, as if the loser point doesn't already do that.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Yes that's the entire point. Teams who don't try to win are bad and should feel bad. If hockey coaches are going to absolutely refuse to play in any way but ultra conservatively then let's goddamn force them to play for a win or else. :colbert:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Suspicious posted:

The (dumb) argument is that 3 point games would invalidate all the old point records, as if the loser point doesn't already do that.

Any Habs records that can be invalidated should be.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
You can easily reword that record to "most regulation/OT wins in a single season."

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
honestly make it so the only team stat is "wins" and the top 8 wins per conference make the playoffs and thats it . If the game goes to 60 minutes and no team wins the game just ends

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

ElwoodCuse posted:

I seem to recall reading an article not long ago that the KC arena was making money hand over fist with just concerts, the odd college basketball game/tournament, and other small time stuff and that it was proof maybe arenas like that don't need an anchor tenant any more.

The same thing happened with the KeyArena after the Sonics left iirc.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Suspicious posted:

It can't just be this. We had regular season OT added, loser points added, shootouts added, the regular season has gone from (in the expansion era) 74-76-78-80-84-82 games, none of that is consistent or fair.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

ElwoodCuse posted:

It can't just be this

It isn't. The reason there aren't three point regulation wins is because the current system makes playoff races seem tighter than they actually are. The NHL is a gate driven league, and interest and ticket sales drop markedly when people don't feel like their team can win anything. Changing to a three point win would eliminate a bunch of teams by January, and that would kill gate revenue for them. The owners aren't going to implement a change that negatively affects their pocket book because it makes logical sense or the fans want it.

Hockey is a business first and foremost. No decision has ever or will ever be made in the name of "the spirit of the game."

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Except the Subban trade.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Where does Arizona end up if they do move?

Quebec is a red hot chance, but the NHL would exponentially rather hold Arizona in Arizona until Seattle, Portland, Kansas or somewhere like that opens up.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Xtanstic posted:

It's this logic that has led them to increase the number of outdoor games in a season

It's kind of the opposite, though. It can't be a spectacle if it happens a million times a year.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
It should be wins-losses-shootout wins

Shootout and OT losses are worth nothing extra

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

Suspicious posted:

You can easily reword that record to "most regulation/OT wins in a single season."

Or point percentage which is the only metric that actually makes any sense for that record

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Emulating the NFL is dumb poo poo for idiots.

EDIT: This is also conducive to abandoning conferences and divisions and just having the best 16* teams in the playoffs.

*You'd even be able to throw out arguments against a 12- or even 8-team playoff tournament that are made from fairness, since equitable schedule, but the owners will never give up the extra revenue or the free labor.
tbh the playoffs are pretty much perfect so in retrospect i dont give a poo poo about the regular season, especially if it negatively impacts the playoffs.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Both of this book's authors have now been fired for being jackasses on social media.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Thufir posted:

Both of this book's authors have now been fired for being jackasses on social media.

Why did they think it necessary to write a book about one season of Patrick Roy's coaching?

e: For those not in the know, this is why Frei got ditched:

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 18:54 on May 29, 2017

• Locked thread