Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

TwoPair posted:

I'm just shocked there are enough people watching nu-PPG to notice that.

It took them this long to notice, so not really?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I'm just confused how it got past everybody actually working on the show. Surely they noticed! Is this guy the producer or something?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Waffleman_ posted:

https://twitter.com/gabrielenguard/status/868845894698885120

So it turns out one of the writers on the new Powerpuff Girls has been self-inserting himself as Blossom's love interest.

:staredog:

Rudoku posted:

It took them this long to notice, so not really?

Yeah this is exactly the sort of poo poo that emerges when everyone knows nobody who could give a poo poo is watching.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

"The Secret Life of Blossom Powerpuff?" Pretty sure their last name is Utonium. And are the girls still in preschool in the new version?

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Rand Brittain posted:

I'm just confused how it got past everybody actually working on the show. Surely they noticed! Is this guy the producer or something?

nope, just one of the two main writers

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

nope, just one of the two main writers

Man must have dirt on the showrunner or the episode directors or something because lord almighty, I don't know how else that could have possibly gotten through.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

"The Secret Life of Blossom Powerpuff?" Pretty sure their last name is Utonium. And are the girls still in preschool in the new version?

The school they're at is more of a middle school vibe.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Does this guy have a twitter and is he getting poo poo for it on it yet?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Waffleman_ posted:

The school they're at is more of a middle school vibe.

...Then why do they still look like that?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Because it's a bad show! I mean, I don't think the level of their school is ever specified, but it has lockers, and what elementary school has lockers?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Is there anything good about nu-ppg?

I seem to recall the theme song at least being polished/competent, music being the only thing being notbad seems to be the calling card for aggressively mediocre/bad things.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
In hindsight the original VAs were better off not getting involved in this shitshow

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Benne posted:

In hindsight the original VAs were better off not getting involved in this shitshow

I still maintain that Tara Strong hasn't been able to do Bubbles' voice since the Movie

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Benne posted:

Especially Blossom's. :gonk:

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Somebody call up That Guy who worked on Totally Spies and tell him he needs to send back his "skeeviest writer on a kid's cartoon" award, he's been usurped.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
For what it's worth, apparently this is the original tweet that screenshot came from:

https://twitter.com/BeAwesomeOne/status/868797447396630528

Also, :stonk:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Waffleman_ posted:

Because it's a bad show! I mean, I don't think the level of their school is ever specified, but it has lockers, and what elementary school has lockers?

They got moved there or something in one episode I watched, they show their old school, then it gets destroyed by something.

Also just lol at everything.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
https://twitter.com/KeikakuKat/status/868912209178632197

I don't know if this makes this better or worse

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Oh geez at this whole thing, this is the creepiest. OTOH I'm pretty sure the dude won't deserve what he'll get on social media.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
The best and most likely explanation is probably that someone got the idea of inserting a writer into the show as a background joke and it snowballed from there, without anybody actually bothering to think about the implications.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Acebuckeye13 posted:

The best and most likely explanation is probably that someone got the idea of inserting a writer into the show as a background joke and it snowballed from there, without anybody actually bothering to think about the implications.

The kicker though is that the writer doubles as the voice actor, so you would think he would notice then at least.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
May I bring up the point that the writer wrote all the episodes where the "love interest" shows up in the first place
This really sounds like rear end covering. Like even if the staff just thought it would be funny... why would it be funny?
Is that the best they can do? How did they think that this would come off if someone noticed, especially FOUR EPISODES of this?

Also he wrote the "twerking episode".

Like, here's a clip of one of the self insert episodes, they aren't really making much fun of him on the show.

Not getting a pitchfork myself but I kind of don't really care about his twitter angry mob. Like, I've seen plenty of people get twitter mobbed for poo poo they did not deserve, and twitter needs to fix their harassment issues that are part of the platform. But if someone else shits themself in public I'm not going to defend them from people gagging at the smell.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I haven't watched a single episode of the new Powerpuff Girls but everything I've heard makes it sound worse and worse. It started with clips relying rageface and Reddit memes and it snowballs into something worse each time I hear about it.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

mycot posted:

The kicker though is that the writer doubles as the voice actor, so you would think he would notice then at least.

Hell, they even used his likeness for the character! Everyone at the top of the show's production had to have known what was going on, it's impossible for it to have happened otherwise. It's why it's so goddamn insane that so many people let it get to this point.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 01:23 on May 29, 2017

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Either they're enabling this one writer's fantasy, or they all secretly think it's funny to egg him on. It's definitely worse no matter what it is.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Definitely worse, because it means that not only were several people okay with this, but they actively encouraged it.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm watching season 4 of the current TMNT series now that it's on Hulu, despite my better judgement and

Can a woman on this show have a role that isn't "secretly a robot" or "the love interest for a dude"?

And wow, Hun on this show was an absolute waste.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Is that still on? It got pretty unwatchable somewhere in season 2 for me.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Yeah... TMNT In Space is an amazing setup that just couldn't be squandered hard or fast enough. Peter Stormare as Lord Dregg is a no-brainer, but he somehow ends up worse off than Dragaunus from The Mighty Ducks.

There are still hints of greatness, but the series is due for a dormant period so of course it's being rebooted immediately.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Skip aaaaaall the way over to episode 15 if you're watching season 4. I didn't see all the episodes at that point, but the setup was much, much better and they did the impossible and introduced two separate female characters who are not robots nor love interests.

Ultimately, i'd say TMNT has a strong first season, a weak second, a terrible third with a few highlights and a mostly bad s4 with a redeemable backhalf. Didn't really bother with the first arc of S5, might check the Yojimbo one.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Skip aaaaaall the way over to episode 15 if you're watching season 4. I didn't see all the episodes at that point, but the setup was much, much better and they did the impossible and introduced two separate female characters who are not robots nor love interests.

Ultimately, i'd say TMNT has a strong first season, a weak second, a terrible third with a few highlights and a mostly bad s4 with a redeemable backhalf. Didn't really bother with the first arc of S5, might check the Yojimbo one.

I got to that episode, and I was halfway happy to see them introduce a new female character finally... only for Mikey to end up drooling over Shinigami in five seconds.

I have doubts the last half is redeemable at all to be honestt.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I'm gonna believe that they let this happen so that eventually his pervy poo poo would be exposed, because that's the saner explanation I need right now

Edit: I was sure that creepy Phantom of the Opera image was fake but five minutes of googling shows me there was an episode where Blossom jealous that Bubbles is in a school play with "Jared" and wears a wedding dress and I beg for the sweet relief of death

Nerdietalk fucked around with this message at 05:33 on May 29, 2017

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
*insert Clevin joke here*

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

TFRazorsaw posted:

I got to that episode, and I was halfway happy to see them introduce a new female character finally... only for Mikey to end up drooling over Shinigami in five seconds.

I have doubts the last half is redeemable at all to be honestt.

She at least doesn't return the feelings and is generally kicking butt with Karai. Though tbh they could've slipped stuff in the eps I didn't see. I figured Mikey wouldn't get much love play after he and the time travel girl hit it off for no reason.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
If there's really that many romantic subplots maybe the tagline should be changed to from "Heroes in a half-shell" to "Heroes at Half-Mast"

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

I'm watching season 4 of the current TMNT series now that it's on Hulu, despite my better judgement and

Can a woman on this show have a role that isn't "secretly a robot" or "the love interest for a dude"?
I vaguely remember this thread previously talking about someone who became an important writer on the current TMNT show in Season 3, how it went downhill as a result, and that he holds some weird views about men and women. I take it he's still around?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

get that OUT of my face posted:

I vaguely remember this thread previously talking about someone who became an important writer on the current TMNT show in Season 3, how it went downhill as a result, and that he holds some weird views about men and women. I take it he's still around?

That's Ciro Nieli, and he's been on the show from the start. He gave an interview where he said he was proud how the show didn't have "too much girlpower".

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

TFRazorsaw posted:

I can't for the life of me find the article, but I'm pretty sure the shows creator has literally said no to this.

On some level, the show is all about turtle boners.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Here's the interview:

quote:

“I HAVE talked about other girls showing up, with me and the writing staff. How often they’re in it and how much they will replay, I don’t know – definitely not as much as April or Karai, but you know, here’s the thing about these action shows in general is that – and this happens ALL THE TIME – and it’s basically… any time a girl’s on the show, they’re usually too powerful. And it’s just the nature of a girl for some reason, I don’t know what it is, I mean, this happened on Teen Titans, we had trouble kinda limiting Starfire and Raven’s powers; it happens with Wonder Woman, it happened on my Super Robot Monkey show, with this character named Jinmei, it’s just like, and I’m afraid— I’ve been fighting it with April, with where we’re going with her, is to not, you know, not let her get too powerful. And it’s hard, sometimes guys are a lot cooler and easier to deal with within these cartoons”
[…]
“So, the fact that we have a good girl and a bad girl already, I think we’re kinda maxed out a little there. That being said, Cipes bugs me on a daily basis to get him a girlfriend on the show.”

https://nymonsters.wordpress.com/2013/11/17/ciro-nieli-and-female-characters-in-tmnt-open-thread/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
EDIT: Sorry, thought better about this post.