Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Symbolic Butt posted:

one of them is not white :shobon:

is he asian but raised in america and with no noticeable accent?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

JewKiller 3000 posted:

is he asian but raised in america and with no noticeable accent?

he's brown... I'm brazilian by the way so this would get into complicated ethnicity poo poo if I start getting too much on this in order to relay to an american audience

Iverron
May 13, 2012

The Management posted:

*writes o(n^3) algorithm during interview*

the last dev we hired was straight out of an abet CS program and frequently wrote o(n^3) / o(n^4) code

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Symbolic Butt posted:

one of them is not white :shobon:

I've been so disappointed working with recently graduated people lately that I feel like some clueless 15 year old kid excited about computers would help me out just as much.

and like at least a 15yo would be excited idk

if u think 15 yos are excited about anything i have some bad news

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Rex-Goliath posted:

one of the worst interviews I had was with facebook. the guy was the final interview for the first round before they'd decide to fly me out and he let me write up a full solution as i was explaining all of my decisions and tradeoffs every step of the way. finally get to the end of it and he tells me that my solution was wrong and it was because i'd misinterpreted one of his requirements to the problem. he could have stopped me in the first minute as i was laying out my plan but nah. wasn't apologetic at all and acted like i was a dumbass for even misinterpreting his prompt in the first place. he then said 'you should have studied harder for this' which seemed like i hadn't memorized enough CtCI problems. gently caress that

pretty sure he wasn't even paying attention

a certain percentage of people are going to be poo poo interviewers, that's why bigtech always says "reapply in 6 months" because people will just randomly get screwed

why can't you only have good interviewers? because then the good interviewers would have no time for their actual work. make interviewing their only actual work? well now that the position is only for doing interviews they'll have a hard time getting someone at a high enough technical level to actually be good at that position. there's probably a solution here but it's not immediately obvious to me

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Iverron posted:

the last dev we hired was straight out of an abet CS program and frequently wrote o(n^3) / o(n^4) code

but o(n^3)/o(n^4) would be, like, o(1/n) which sounds very good

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

DuckConference posted:

a certain percentage of people are going to be poo poo interviewers, that's why bigtech always says "reapply in 6 months" because people will just randomly get screwed

why can't you only have good interviewers? because then the good interviewers would have no time for their actual work. make interviewing their only actual work? well now that the position is only for doing interviews they'll have a hard time getting someone at a high enough technical level. there's probably a solution here but it's not immediately obvious to me

dumptrucks of money and rotations, probably

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Bloody posted:

if u think 15 yos are excited about anything i have some bad news

that's part of how dire the situation is, at this point it makes no difference to bet on a literal child to be less useless

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

DuckConference posted:

why can't you only have good interviewers? because then the good interviewers would have no time for their actual work. make interviewing their only actual work? well now that the position is only for doing interviews they'll have a hard time getting someone at a high enough technical level to actually be good at that position. there's probably a solution here but it's not immediately obvious to me

maybe (hopefully) big companies work differently but every place i've worked has thrown random developers into interviewing with no training whatsoever so uh, that's probably an okay spot to start.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
edit: beaten

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

jony neuemonic posted:

maybe (hopefully) big companies work differently but every place i've worked has thrown random developers into interviewing with no training whatsoever so uh, that's probably an okay spot to start.

I'm lucky if I get 24 hrs notice. HR at the current place is.. not great.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

most toy problems I've seen have a brute force at O(n^2) and a "good" solution at something like O(nlog(n)). in that context O(n^3) is impressive

there's a lot of problems like "maximum contiguous subarray" where the naivest solution is O(n^3), but usually everybody gets the O(n^2) solution to start

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Bloody posted:

but o(n^3)/o(n^4) would be, like, o(1/n) which sounds very good

:v:

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

jony neuemonic posted:

it me

my boss seemed astonished that I said I enjoyed being interviewed much more than I enjoy interviewing

i hate interviewing. I suck at it and an hour is too long to spend with someone if they aren't engaging enough to keep talking on their own.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

minivanmegafun posted:

it me

my boss seemed astonished that I said I enjoyed being interviewed much more than I enjoy interviewing

i hate interviewing. I suck at it and an hour is too long to spend with someone if they aren't engaging enough to keep talking on their own.

just mash "interview questions" into google and ask all the ones that aren't stupid or illegal

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
in my entire career i've never come upon a situation where not knowing big o notation has affected me in the slightest. the first and only times i ever hear about it are in the context of interviews.

like if you're gonna come up with some gotcha bullshit for an interview at least make it a bajillion times less "look at my swinging cs dick"

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
question: is there a gotcha to rsus other than the fact that taxes get taken out as soon as they vest? seems like i could just cash them out as they vest and pay down debt/eventually start putting them in an ira but im wondering if there some catch that keeps you from doing that.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

cis autodrag posted:

seems like i could just cash them out as they vest and pay down debt/eventually start putting them in an ira but im wondering if there some catch that keeps you from doing that.

that's exactly what you should do

there might be a couple days delay between when RSUs are released to
you and when the sale actually settles, so you might actually have a small capital LOSS each time you do this come tax time, so no tax burden beyond what gets handled automatically

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Blinkz0rz posted:

in my entire career i've never come upon a situation where not knowing big o notation has affected me in the slightest. the first and only times i ever hear about it are in the context of interviews.

like if you're gonna come up with some gotcha bullshit for an interview at least make it a bajillion times less "look at my swinging cs dick"

people say "big o" as shorthand for "do complexity analysis". if you can't look at your algorithm and explain its runtime and space complexity that's bad. i can't tell you the number of 100x or greater speedups i created in epic's software by just noticing that an algorithm was n^2 or worse and looking for a different approach.

complexity analysis is an important tool in your toolbelt for writing well performing code. if you're actually saying that you can do complexity analysis but you never learned the big o big omicron big omega way of writing out floor/base/ceiling, sure that's fine. as long as you know how to figure out how much work your program is doing and how much space it takes up.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

mishaq posted:

that's exactly what you should do

there might be a couple days delay between when RSUs are released to
you and when the sale actually settles, so you might actually have a small capital LOSS each time you do this come tax time, so no tax burden beyond what gets handled automatically

thanks friend. im scared shitless of what my taxes will be in california. here i usually end up owing the feds 2 grand because our accounting deparment doesn't seem to understand "no withholding" and the only reason i can cover it is the absurdly large refund wisconsin hands out to ensure the government can't function for another year.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

cis autodrag posted:

thanks friend. im scared shitless of what my taxes will be in california. here i usually end up owing the feds 2 grand because our accounting deparment doesn't seem to understand "no withholding" and the only reason i can cover it is the absurdly large refund wisconsin hands out to ensure the government can't function for another year.

RSUs and bonuses automatically get high levels of of withholding on them irrespective of what the setup is on your regular wages, you'll be alright

i barely stayed under the underpayment penalty thresholds for both federal and state last year, but that's because I made a lot of money on the ESPP and there's no withholding on your gains since it's all after tax money :getin:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

the gotcha to rsus is that you get paid double your salary

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

so i guess no, no gotcha

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Bloody posted:

Bloody posted:

so i guess no, no gotcha

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Bloody posted:

the gotcha is that you gotta not gently caress up the basis when you file your taxes.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Bloody posted:

actually the gotcha is that you are golden handcuffed and can't leave.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

The Management posted:

the gotcha is that you gotta not gently caress up the basis when you file your taxes.

lol if you hold your employers stock a second longer than required to

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

The Management posted:

actually the gotcha is that you are golden handcuffed and can't leave.

only if you're dumb enough to let your lifestyle costs inflate to your income and purely put money over satisfaction in your life

nothing feels nicer than knowing i can quit/get laid off tomorrow and have enough runway to last for years before id need a job to cover my expenses and vacations

Iverron
May 13, 2012

cis autodrag posted:

people say "big o" as shorthand for "do complexity analysis". if you can't look at your algorithm and explain its runtime and space complexity that's bad. i can't tell you the number of 100x or greater speedups i created in epic's software by just noticing that an algorithm was n^2 or worse and looking for a different approach.

complexity analysis is an important tool in your toolbelt for writing well performing code. if you're actually saying that you can do complexity analysis but you never learned the big o big omicron big omega way of writing out floor/base/ceiling, sure that's fine. as long as you know how to figure out how much work your program is doing and how much space it takes up.

I was going to type a response but this is better.

Big O is just repeated enough in an average CS education that you default to it when what you mean is "oh my god it's full of multi-nested fors".

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

one gotcha is that you may only have certain trading windows where youre allowed to sell your RSUs. these are meant to stave off claims that employees are doing insider trading if they sell their RSUs just before a quarterly earnings report or w/e.

it just so happens that everyone else in the company is subject to those trading window periods as well, so as a result there's a big ol sale whenever the trading window opens, and the stock price can dip a bit during that period as a result

one way to get around this is if your company offers some kind of autosell option, where you sign up for autosell at the start of the year and then poo poo sells whether or not you want it to. the autosell is therefore not subject to your whims and itll sell even when not within a declared trading window

but yeah the only real "gotcha" with RSUs is you're getting a big jump in your income after youve been there a year

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i recommend selling your RSUs asap as they vest if only because depending on a single company for both income and savings is generally a bad idea (see e.g. enron employees who had their 401k in enron stock)

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

mishaq posted:

only if you're dumb enough to let your lifestyle costs inflate to your income and purely put money over satisfaction in your life

nothing feels nicer than knowing i can quit/get laid off tomorrow and have enough runway to last for years before id need a job to cover my expenses and vacations

lol if you're not on a trajectory to retire within a decade

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Progressive JPEG posted:

i recommend selling your RSUs asap as they vest if only because depending on a single company for both income and savings is generally a bad idea (see e.g. enron employees who had their 401k in enron stock)

this tho you can definitely tell who held their amzn when they got it at 80 and who didnt

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

mishaq posted:

I just took an entire year off of work without loving up my finances too much, I highly recommend it if you can afford to do so [it was originally going to be 6-8 months but it took me a while to find a decent new gig]

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
i don't have a cs degree. should i just kill myself right now

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
95%+ of the time the db handles all that "complexity" stuff for me

occasionally i see a bunch of lovely nested loops or w/e, but they're in places where it doesn't matter and gently caress if i'm going to go out my way to fix them

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

cis autodrag posted:

that's kind of what i'm getting at. if you went into an interview and were like "oh i don't know any of the notation for complexity analysis but i can spot a poorly performing algorithm and refactor it with a better choice" you'd still get laughed out because interviewing had become a lovely cargo-culting fuckstorm of gotchas and it's terrible and i hate it

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.
the worst part is if you say "landau notation" 90% of your interviewers don't know what you're talking about

e:
and a couple times I said an algorithm was big theta of whatever and then I had to explain that theta was a tighter bound than O

leper khan fucked around with this message at 12:50 on May 29, 2017

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

qirex posted:

I just took an entire year off of work without loving up my finances too much, I highly recommend it if you can afford to do so [it was originally going to be 6-8 months but it took me a while to find a decent new gig]

i did a year one time and 4 months the second time all in the past 4 years, it was the best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

mishaq posted:

i did a year one time and 4 months the second time all in the past 4 years, it was the best

I once had an offer pulled from me and then played poker full time for 6 mos; does that count?

• Locked thread