Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I like the early years of onboard cameras when there was like, one designated "onboard camera guy" for the whole year which is why every onboard from 1986 is of Johnny Dumfries and every onboard from 1987 is of Satoru Nakajima

Streiff had one too in 1986 for certain rounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Survived through some dangerous times in F1 only to be brutally murdered by Audi.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

(i'm pretty sure that was the last race where one team entered three cars)

it was

EDIT: also, Hesnault was not eligible for points in the race.

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 03:02 on May 29, 2017

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Is it bad if I knew the exact race and year before clicking that video

(i'm pretty sure that was the last race where one team entered three cars)

It's good. Hesanult also vanished off the face of the earth after that race. And yes, it was also the last race with 27 cars entered.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The third Renault seemed like just a one-off deal for the onboard camera, so I wonder what the last time someone "actually" entered three cars in a race was.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
The 500 was not worth staying up for. It really feels like it just boils down to 'have decent-ish pace, get lucky with the caution/fuel stop timing.' All the passing and positioning are so inconsequential until the last 20-30 laps.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The third Renault seemed like just a one-off deal for the onboard camera, so I wonder what the last time someone "actually" entered three cars in a race was.

Edit: RAM in 1982.

Human Grand Prix fucked around with this message at 03:09 on May 29, 2017

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe March in the 70s, or BRM.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

AgentJotun posted:

The 500 was not worth staying up for. It really feels like it just boils down to 'have decent-ish pace, get lucky with the caution/fuel stop timing.' All the passing and positioning are so inconsequential until the last 20-30 laps.

This was my takeaway too, what's the point of watching the first 170 laps when anyone in the top 10 can pull ahead and win right at the end? I'm sure the finish is always riveting though.

Did we have audio of the Japanese announcers yet?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

gently caress why even have more than one lap

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Go watch drag racing you dumbasses

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Antti posted:

This was my takeaway too, what's the point of watching the first 170 laps when anyone in the top 10 can pull ahead and win right at the end? I'm sure the finish is always riveting though.

Did we have audio of the Japanese announcers yet?

The point is to see who will be in position to win at the end.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
RAM statistically is the team that lasted the longest without scoring a point unless I'm mistaken. 10 years.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I found it pretty enjoyable.

Then I tried to watch the NASCAR race and I had to stop 2 laps in it was so awful in every way.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Human Grand Prix posted:

RAM statistically is the team that lasted the longest without scoring a point unless I'm mistaken. 10 years.

I liked their attempts to bring Skoal Bandit sponsorship to Formula One.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007

Norns posted:

Go watch drag racing you dumbasses

Only if they throw down atleast a dozen caution flags and turn the finish into a quarter yard rather then quarter mile.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I liked their attempts to bring Skoal Bandit sponsorship to Formula One.

Their '85 car was quite alright. Too bad it was too late.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Troy Queef posted:

I'll be the first to say it:

WELL DONE TAKU

:bisonyes:

iospace posted:

The gang makes a racing engine

:bisonyes:

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Wirth1000 posted:

I found it pretty enjoyable.

Then I tried to watch the NASCAR race and I had to stop 2 laps in it was so awful in every way.

yeah it's like half over and I'm loving off to bed because I have been awake for 37 straight hours now because I decided to stay up for all of the Nürburgring 24 hours

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Alonso running Indy was the most fun he had racing cars in eons. He's gonna try again

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
gently caress Honda.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
INDIANA WELCOMED US

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

Troy Queef posted:

I'll be the first to say it:

WELL DONE TAKU

is there some joke I'm supposed to be getting :(

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Alonso running Indy was the most fun he had racing cars in eons. He's gonna try again

Oh yeah. Engine exploding aside, he was competitive, which is exactly what someone like him needed.

McGuinty
Feb 11, 2008

Where's the nearest golf course? I have to shit.

McGuinty posted:

It was a Tilkedrome before Tilkedromes existed. It has that Istanbul design philosophy of "let's borrow a bunch of cool corners from better circuits", while forgetting to include anything as unique or memorable as turn 8 to give it its own character.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Rhopunzel posted:

Bernie being Bernie, basically

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

I swear Bernie hired someone that didn't speak english to write all the stuff on the side of the tracks.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
If you drink, not driving well done.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

pik_d posted:

Bernie being Bernie, basically

Yeah, this wasn't really Bernie at all. This is literally how hosed up the state is in Azerbaijan.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Antti posted:

ovalracing.txt

Now, can we please put that Indycrap behind us.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Rhopunzel posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JEbnWl8iz0

McGuinty
Feb 11, 2008

Rhopunzel posted:

pik_d already answered but here's a couple more to demonstrate how much that poo poo was plastered around that track:

The post just before yours...

...was in reference to this:

All of this of course was on offer at the 2016 European Grand Prix held in Baku, Azerbaijan which is definitely in Europe, even though Baku is further east than Baghdad, Riyadh or Kuwait City, but it's not quite as Far East as Tehran, so it is for sure still in Europe.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Honda didn't really have a bad Indy 500 all things considered.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
The best was when a loose drain cover wrecked Bottas and the feed immediately cut to a well done Baku sign

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Listen... if you want to say you're in Europe, then who can tell you that you aren't European?

McGuinty
Feb 11, 2008

pik_d posted:

Listen... if you want to say you're in Europe, then who can tell you that you aren't European?

Far be it from me. After all it is on the WESTERN shore of the Caspian Sea, and the peninsula it sits on is technically an extension of the Caucasus which is the traditional northern dividing line of the Middle East from Eastern Europe.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

less geography-chat, and more of Great Racing Pictures, like this one from today:

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Honda didn't really have a bad Indy 500 all things considered.

How did you come to this conclusion? Yeah ok technically speaking they won but also Alonso's engine kerploded.

Ergo gently caress Honda.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

TBH I've had a really bad weekend from these races. Too much heartbreak.

As far as Indy goes, I kind of appreciate the more grass-roots nature of it (at least compared to F1) and I found it kind of cool, but maybe that's just the novelty factor. I will say that the unbelievable amount of commercial breaks made it drat near unwatchable though, and if Alonso hadn't been in it, I wouldn't have bothered.

It's such a pity the engine gave up. Alonso had it in him to win it (though I'll admit it was unlikely), and top 3 I think was realistic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
In other bad news from the weekend - Checo's streak of 15 consecutive points finishes has come to an end :( That really is a pretty impressive feat for a mid grid car.

• Locked thread