Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Mr. Mind owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think giant man is the only person who might conceivably need the standard liefeld pouch ensemble. there are worse ways to carry and access many kinds of small objects. for example,

Ghostlight posted:

Lab equipment and chainsaws.

that jumpsuit.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

A.o.D. posted:

If my occasional strolls through the Phobos Labs are any indication, chainsaws are most definitely lab equipment.

Why they keep them up on a 20 foot tall pedestal is beyond me, though.

Look, it's in the UAC packet, right after the section on human sacrifice. It's just science. This is how science works.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Ghostlight posted:

Lab equipment and chainsaws.

That is, no kidding, the best version of Hank Pym by a country mile.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i think giant man is the only person who might conceivably need the standard liefeld pouch ensemble. there are worse ways to carry and access many kinds of small objects.

Does he still use that Swiss Army knife with hundreds of shrunken down attachments? I thought that was a clever way of using his established powers to say he can do some sonic screwdriver bullshit.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

NorgLyle posted:

That is, no kidding, the best version of Hank Pym by a country mile.

I can't agree with this enough. Those late-Englehart West Coast Avengers issues had him being more useful than he'd ever been before. He carried a miniature spaceship in his pocket!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Are you counting the run up where he kicks the entire Masters of Evil's asses while immobilized?

Humbug Scoolbus fucked around with this message at 05:28 on May 24, 2017

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Light Gun Man posted:

I wanna know what's in Giant Man's pouches. More Avengers?

Big Avengers have little Avengers,
Who in their pouches ride 'em,
And little Avengers have lesser Avengers,
and so, ad infinitum.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Are the classic Captain Marvel issues collected anywhere?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

A Strange Aeon posted:

re the classic Captain Marvel issues collected anywhere?
Which Captain Marvel? Pretty much the only ones anyone remembers from Mar-Vell are the Starlin issues (which jump around and have fill-ins and end up in other books) and all of those are collected in a Captain Marvel by Starlin trade.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Edge & Christian posted:

Which Captain Marvel? Pretty much the only ones anyone remembers from Mar-Vell are the Starlin issues (which jump around and have fill-ins and end up in other books) and all of those are collected in a Captain Marvel by Starlin trade.

poo poo, I think I meant Shazam, then? The Mr. Mind chat made me think of it. Wouldn't there be like 50 years of Fawcett comics? Have those ever been reprinted? I know there were some random fill-in issues with Alan Moore's Marvel Man, but I thought those stories were some other British rip-off of the American Fawcett stuff.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

A Strange Aeon posted:

poo poo, I think I meant Shazam, then? The Mr. Mind chat made me think of it. Wouldn't there be like 50 years of Fawcett comics? Have those ever been reprinted? I know there were some random fill-in issues with Alan Moore's Marvel Man, but I thought those stories were some other British rip-off of the American Fawcett stuff.
Ahh. Yeah, DC owns all of that IP now, I think there might have been some sort of legal issue with reprinting them? That or they didn't want to reprint stories featuring the Marvel Family's servant Steamboat and Nippo the Superjap or whatever.

I believe they're all out of print, but Amazon has pretty decent prices on DC's old line of Archive hardcovers.

Marvelman was very explicitly a British comics company doing very well with Captain Marvel reprints in the 1950s and then just doing their own rip-off, which now Marvel owns and reprinted to resounding indifference.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Edge & Christian posted:

Ahh. Yeah, DC owns all of that IP now, I think there might have been some sort of legal issue with reprinting them? That or they didn't want to reprint stories featuring the Marvel Family's servant Steamboat and Nippo the Superjap or whatever.

I believe they're all out of print, but Amazon has pretty decent prices on DC's old line of Archive hardcovers.

Marvelman was very explicitly a British comics company doing very well with Captain Marvel reprints in the 1950s and then just doing their own rip-off, which now Marvel owns and reprinted to resounding indifference.

Yeah that why they haven't reprinted the The Monster Society of Evil storyline in years. I remember they had plans but then just cancelled it.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Good to know on those reprints; seems like they aren't chronological, just a selection, but that's fine by me. I just like the lighthearted, whimsical tone in the stories I've seen, and would like to see more.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

DC also did a Shazam Showcase, although it's the '70s version of Captain Marvel, not the original '40s stuff.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Based on that Seanbaby article, those books would probably constitute some kind of a hate crime now.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nessus posted:

Based on that Seanbaby article, those books would probably constitute some kind of a hate crime now.

Eh. Yes and no.

The original Whiz Comic books are all over the place. They have views which are genuinely something that would be considered progressive today. (There's an issue where Marvel argues that criminals are the product of their environment and suggests improving neighborhoods and housing rather than beating up the criminals for example.) And the actual stated goal was to be positive, inoffensive and not insult anyone. Unfortunately they are very much the product of their age and attempts to be inclusive are still poo poo that came across as awful. Steamboat (probably the most glaring of the horribly offensive ideas) was a legitimate honest attempt to include a black character and just critically failed in such a way that it was wildly offensive at the time, let alone these days. Likewise the Monster Society of Evil arc has tons of wartime overtones and there's no excusing it despite the fact it was a product of its time.

Basically they have a lot of positive and uplifting and good messages sandwiched in between horrifying racism. And the racism isn't the product of intentionally awful things but that doesn't excuse it and reading them means you have to be prepared for a sudden left turn into "holy gently caress' territory.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

That whole thing where he visits a muslim who can puke the ghost of Mohammed or whatever is like a racist fever dream.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
It's kinda the same as reading Marston's early Wonder Woman. You see a very earnest, optimistic proto-feminism on the page right next to "yeah, it's so empowering for women to let me look at titties or get tied up."

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

ImpAtom posted:

Basically they have a lot of positive and uplifting and good messages sandwiched in between horrifying racism. And the racism isn't the product of intentionally awful things but that doesn't excuse it and reading them means you have to be prepared for a sudden left turn into "holy gently caress' territory.

I did like that Captain Nippon's dialogue is entirely normal without the racist L/R swap nonsense. At the same time, I strongly dislike that he's a vampire gorilla.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

First of all, please don't die, thread! :ohdear:

Secondly, I can't decide who upsets me more. Doughboy the giant amorphous fleshpile, Shape the giant amorphous fleshpile hanging (but really mostly sagging) off a bony skeleton, or Slug the most horrifying possible combination of the two and also he is definitely a human. Does Skin have an entry?

Thirdly, add my voice to the "8-Ball is the best ridiculous villain" chorus.

Rahonavis fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jun 4, 2017

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Rahonavis posted:

First of all, please don't die, thread! :ohdear:

Secondly, I can't decide who upsets me more. Doughboy the giant amorphous fleshpile, Shape the giant amorphous fleshpile hanging (but really mostly sagging) off a bony skeleton, or Slug the most horrifying possible combination of the two and also he is definitely a human. Does Skin have an entry?

Thirdly, add my voice to the "8-Ball is the best ridiculous villain" chorus.

8 ball had nothing on crazy 8

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Nah, not dead yet. I'll try to be more on the ball with this thread.

And now, coming soon to a Newspaper Spider-Man strip near you...

Day 61: Tyrannus

My only real exposure to this character was the Subterranean Wars storyline that ran through a few Avengers Annuals in the early '90s. I miss those crossovers in Annuals. Anyway, he's set to be starring in the next few months of Newspaper Spider-Man it seems. And if you haven't visited that thread, well you need to make sure you stop in and read it because it's amazing. Spectacular even.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Not much to say about this one, other than that it's neat that early Marvel meticulously populated all these weird realms outside of mainstream society with their own warring factions. Subterranea, the savage land, various outer space regions, and to a lesser extent Attilan and Wakanda(and its neighbours). It made the universe feel so alive and it was always fun to see heroes dragged into a conflict they don't have a direct stake in other than preventing collateral damage.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Real name unknown? I had the tie-in book Hulk: The Incredible Guide when I was younger and it said that Tyrannus was in fact Romulus Augustulus, the last Emperor of Rome (whose fate remains mysterious to historians) who fled to his underground kingdom after he was deposed where he discovered the fountain of youth.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

Real name unknown? I had the tie-in book Hulk: The Incredible Guide when I was younger and it said that Tyrannus was in fact Romulus Augustulus, the last Emperor of Rome (whose fate remains mysterious to historians) who fled to his underground kingdom after he was deposed where he discovered the fountain of youth.

This is also what Newspaper Spider-Man states.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

"Costume: Clothing of ancient Roman Empire"

Yeah, checks out, pretty sure Romans wore giant capes and championship belts.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

"Aspiring conqueror"

"Well guys, we tried, but just didn't manage to conquer this time. Maybe next?"

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Wait, the loving cobalt Flame of Life? I was just a few weeks ago reading an early Avengers comic in which that was utterly destroyed. These time lines don't match up at all!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that is probably an overly generous description, considering how most of the time he brought in outsiders it was because he was losing to mole man.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Precambrian posted:

"Costume: Clothing of ancient Roman Empire"

Yeah, checks out, pretty sure Romans wore giant capes and championship belts.

Also, late Roman emperors definitely didn't cover themselves with purple to remind everyone that they weren't just a tin pot despot barely clinging to power. Seriously though, with how much comics love to put villains in purple, the one guy they choose to not use that color on is a deposed Roman emperor.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Prince Rey of El Dorado is a pretty confusing name/title

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
How many Marvel heroes & villains have that hair?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Quicksilver, Damian Hellstrom, sometimes Magneto...? Frankly I find it way more baffling than the classic Osborn cut.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Day 62: Cannonball

This is Sam Guthrie. And he's nigh invulnerable when he's blastin'. A longtime member of the New Mutants and then X-Force and most recently The Avengers. Right now he's married to the Shi''ar Imperial Guard member Smasher and they have a child and live on the Shi'ar planet Chandilar. At one point in the '90s I remember something about him being some huge deal Mutant Leader of the future but I don't know what ever became of that. He's best when paired with Sunspot.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

X-O posted:

At one point in the '90s I remember something about him being some huge deal Mutant Leader of the future but I don't know what ever became of that.

I've heard it was nipped in the bud because it was too similar to the plot of Highlander (this being when Highlander movies and the TV show were still being made) and they didn't want Bill Panzer or whoever to sue them.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Cannonball getting drunk with Wolverine on his 21st birthday and getting into a bar fight with Juggernaut is the best.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
You can tell he's a keen strategist because he's strapped all those pretzel sticks to his front for a quick mid-battle snack boost.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Wasn't Cannonball going to be revealed to be young Cable before the latter's story went in a divergent path?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Do you think he has a version of that outfit where the white part is just open, for the ladies?

• Locked thread