Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Cactus posted:

I've even watched The Last Ship, which is better than it has any right to be, particularly it's action sequences.
The Last Ship has things happen in the episodes, and there's always a new thing happening.

They don't fire a missile in episode 1, then sit below deck for 10 episodes whispering to one another about what it meant.
Also TLS explained the central mystery and conceit pretty drat quick and then went and created a show about people trying to put the world right with limited resources, problems old and new, and only FLANK SPEED to help them.

By TLS standards TWD is still in the first season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
So how watchable and good is The Last Ship?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

redleader posted:

The premise is - one navy ship can save the world through teamwork, patriotism, duty, honor and flying the flag.
It's egregiously hammy but all the better for it.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

redleader posted:

There's loads of military fanservice and loving closeups of equipment and poo poo firing and blowing up, and a tonne of mawkish over the top solemn patriotism type stuff so if you like/can glaze past that it's fast paced and entertaining otherwise. It would make a decently cathartic followup to watch right after this show but then anything would. Good action.

e: yeah, that pic above is exactly what I'm talking about.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch
I just watched through Shameless, and JDM was on it and then recast for the next season, I am guessing to be on this dumb annoying show. He should've stayed on Shameless.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
How did I just find out that Daryl was a boondocks Saint? :psyduck:

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Dongattack posted:

He is loving with and crushing the heads of characters i have been annoyed with for literal years, please kill everyone Negan! Plus actor does a better job than anyone else on the show, and by virtue of being new and relatively untouched by the TWD writers is still interesting. That's why i like Negan a lot.

This is why Negan is good. I have only seen the first episode this season so, in my little TWD world, Negan won. Think I will leave it that way.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

This show sucks and I hope we get a new show called Negan n' the walking dead where we watch him grow his mongol hordes until they ride horseback across north america and he personally is responsible for a certain percentage of births (consentually because he's so cute and carismatic, of course)

But I know this can't happen because this comic sucks and just basically rips off whatever was popular 3 years ago (we're currently in the game of thrones period).

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

This show sucks and I hope we get a new show called Negan n' the walking dead where we watch him grow his mongol hordes until they ride horseback across north america and he personally is responsible for a certain percentage of births (consentually because he's so cute and carismatic, of course)

But I know this can't happen because this comic sucks and just basically rips off whatever was popular 3 years ago (we're currently in the game of thrones period).

Just watch Z Nation

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
Finally caught up with this fuckin' awful show. That finale was just... silly, like an episode of the A-Team or some nonsense.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
We never did get to hear Negan say The fastest way to a man's heart is through his pussy did we?

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Blazing Ownager posted:

The only way to enjoy the final battle is to watch the behind the scenes stuff without CGI because instead of a enemy-seeking Tiger, he has a blue version of Green Man from always Sunny fanatically leaping on his enemies and it's much better. It should be canon.

Is there any kind of fully filmed version of that, instead of still images? Because that would be a RIOT to see play out :D !

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I got excited yesterday cause I thought the newest ep of FTWD had aired two days ago and I had something to poo poo on while I was hungover, but alas I was mistaken :(

Previews make it look like, yet again, our wild band of hooligans wrecks poo poo soon after arriving somewhere new. Oh boy!

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
I guess El SalvaDad isn't dead because he'll be in the next season of this show.

He escaped the burning cellar by hiding under a dumpster.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

redleader posted:

It's not "good" good, but it's hammy and watchable. Atleast until the main cast starts quitting for better gigs.

Then again I could watch rhona mitra in anything.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Ego-bot posted:

I guess El SalvaDad isn't dead because he'll be in the next season of this show.

He escaped the burning cellar by hiding under a dumpster.

Maybe he is just a hallucination of whatever character needs to be insane to progress the plot that episode?

Not upset though, El Salvidad rules.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Fionordequester posted:

Is there any kind of fully filmed version of that, instead of still images? Because that would be a RIOT to see play out :D !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wl7p2LSNVnk&t=101s

It's not much. Dude does one practice jump, and then a couple leaps onto the other stunt guy, but there you go.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
That battle was so loving lame

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

It kinda looked like it was going to evolve into the fight as the one in both Anchorman movies. With different groups coming in during, phalanxing out, and then a tiger.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
im never gonna watch that stupid loving episode

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
PHALANX OUT

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

El Salvidad is awesome and this is excellent loving news.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Astroman posted:

El Salvidad is awesome and this is excellent loving news.
The only smart character from Season 1

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

The only smart character from Season 1

He helped unleash a horde on a hospital.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fog Tripper posted:

PHALANX OUT

I admit the Eugene recounting of my post sperging the poo poo out of that line is one of the funniest things I've seen on this thread.

I still hold the dumpster was cheating bullshit though, gif be damned!

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

RedSpider posted:

I like Fear the Walking Dead. It does not possess the best writing and acting by any means, but it still has a certain charm to it. Once they got to Mexico, things became more interesting IMO.

You mean when the family kept disrespecting the cartel and stealing from them and they didn't do anything, or when the guy decided to slowly reload his revolver 10 feet from the safety of a jeep like the infamous Austin Powers steamroller sequence before probably being eaten by a main character with a pack of zombies?

Or was it the time the entire town had to flee because they couldn't stop 10 guys who's assault consisted of very slowly inching through zombies in view of giant sniper towers before running upstairs, blowing all their ammo and getting eaten?

Actually if you like it primarily because of that truck crash headshot death that's disappointingly a fake out probably was the funniest loving thing in the world? If it's for that, I totally feel you.

ED: In all seriousness the stuff on the boat wasn't too bad and the only time the show hasn't sucked. Each week they go exploring a new civilization, before finding a way to gently caress over everyone there and burn it to the ground! That's good TV! I mean they've gone so far as to have the main characters literally steal a Negan moment out from under AMC's own hyped Negan, which is pretty.. special given they still think they're the good guys.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bates posted:

He helped unleash a horde on a hospital.

If they'd ever acknowledge the main characters are rear end in a top hat villains the show could go somewhere interesting actually.

I mean in that episode they:
A) Tortured a US Soldier until he told them what they wanted to hear
B) Immediately jumped from week 1 of the apocalypse to weaponizing zombies
C) Lead them to overrun a hospital which caused the military to evacuate without the people they were trying to save
D) Got almost everyone killed at that hospital before selfishly running off with them and theirs, gently caress everyone else except the guy with the boat
E) ... and for the cherry on top, when they left town, they left the loving zombie gate open to their neighborhood and the last shot of the place is a birthday party through a window, insuring ALL of their old neighbors will die and turn!

TOTAL. ASSHOLES.

And they only got worse from there. Like that wasn't a fluke that's just how they are all the time. If you take them into your place, they'll immediately try to start a rebellion, gently caress your poo poo up, possibly set you on fire and then run their car through your zombie gate. I've never seen bigger pricks as leads on a show that is painfully unaware of that fact. poo poo one of them thinks the zombies are the good guys and arguably had a feast with them. My God.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I mean yeah when you put it like that it's a shitshow but I still have a lot of fun watching Fear. Spotting plot holes, character inconsistencies and ways scenes are shot to seem nonsensical at times and finding the funniest, wittiest way to frame criticism of said flaws (or reading others' criticisms that actually are all those things) is fun!

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Blazing Ownager posted:

If they'd ever acknowledge the main characters are rear end in a top hat villains the show could go somewhere interesting actually.

This is true of TWD also. And they were so close at one point.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

UmOk posted:

This is true of TWD also. And they were so close at one point.

Seasons 5 and 6 were exactly this, I thought as I was watching them, and are my favourite seasons because of that fact. The encounter with the cannibals at Terminus was what finally broke them into accepting that to survive in this world they will have to unapologetically become as violent and ruthless as the people they've been fighting. The scene where Rick chases that guy down in a car and shoots him with a "shut up" was explicitly there to portray that Rick has descended so far he's pretty much indistinguishable from a generic Fallout raider now. When they first arrive at Alexandria their first plan is to take over the town. Living in the relatively civilised Alexandria for a time is what brought them back from the edge. Even this last season Eugine acknowledges to Negan that his group has killed far more of Negan's people than vice versa. Of course, all of this was done in the usual amateurish way walking dead writers use that we all know and love. But I do feel that in the main series the acknowledgement being talked about has happened.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Cactus posted:

Seasons 5 and 6 were exactly this, I thought as I was watching them, and are my favourite seasons because of that fact. The encounter with the cannibals at Terminus was what finally broke them into accepting that to survive in this world they will have to unapologetically become as violent and ruthless as the people they've been fighting. The scene where Rick chases that guy down in a car and shoots him with a "shut up" was explicitly there to portray that Rick has descended so far he's pretty much indistinguishable from a generic Fallout raider now. When they first arrive at Alexandria their first plan is to take over the town. Living in the relatively civilised Alexandria for a time is what brought them back from the edge. Even this last season Eugine acknowledges to Negan that his group has killed far more of Negan's people than vice versa. Of course, all of this was done in the usual amateurish way walking dead writers use that we all know and love. But I do feel that in the main series the acknowledgement being talked about has happened.

Yeah they were the villains of Alexandria up until they weren't. It's been a while but doesn't one season end with Rick literally executing a citizen and the next start with everyone all happy?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

UmOk posted:

Yeah they were the villains of Alexandria up until they weren't. It's been a while but doesn't one season end with Rick literally executing a citizen and the next start with everyone all happy?
That one season ends with Rick executing the abusive husband right as Morgan walks in

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I feel like the show being on hiatus is making some of you post-serious about it again.
Don't get into that trap.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I don't know how anyone thinks about this show at all when it's not on the air.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Beats thinking about real life

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Is there a new FTWD topic?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
When does it start? After Breaking Saul or during the finale weeks?

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Blazing Ownager posted:

For a brief moment I thought they might have made the FTWD cast the backstory to the Whisperers. Watching the spiral from suburban family to that would have been kinda neat.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I still love that the old thread was called:

Fear The Walking Dead - "When Civilization Ends, it ends fast"
http://i.imgur.com/kgwb1Uh.gifv

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
lol and I forgot about this quote:

Gordong Dongbay posted:

What is it with this show in particular that seems to attract FYAD posters looking to cause trouble in the thread so they can scamper back to FYAD for virtual pats on the back?

And to keep the thread on track, I honestly thought the pilot was decent. I wasn't expecting anything crazy since the premise of it being before the apocalypse just lends it self to being a slow start. I hope they don't rush into the meat of the show to quick and we get a chance to see the chaos that would take place in a situation like that. That's one thing I liked about The Strain on FX, that show is two seasons deep now and the city still hasn't ceased to exist.

http://i.imgur.com/xMXrLX2.gifv