Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Police Automaton posted:

Daphne&Niles was terrible and the show was poorer for it

Also wrong!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeUFi2_BcKA

Dat leg raise :mrgw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Every will-they-won't-they is terrible if you really think about it, but it's just part of sitcom logic. Niles & Daphne ruled. (Until they got together.)

That season 6 finale was such a massive event when it first aired. Which also contributed to the feeling of decline afterward.

BRB, gonna pour out a Sherry for the days of event television

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

NewsRadio flipped that established trope on its head and got Dave & Lisa together on, what, the third episode?

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
mel was just maris with a face

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

The nanny made it work.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

beep by grandpa posted:

NewsRadio flipped that established trope on its head and got Dave & Lisa together on, what, the third episode?

Yeah, and they even did an entire episode about Jimmy wanting them back together because of their work "ratings".

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Bea Nanner posted:

mel was just maris with a face

Mel was awesome and a better match for Niles across the board. And Donny was better for Daphne. I just hope Frasier got together with that one girl he went to Chicago for.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
That Donny scene with "Mr. Chump" is masterful.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
At this point I'm being driver forward by the same thing that forced me to powered me through "The West Wing": a desire to see Josh and Donna Roz and Frasier do the nasty

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Roz is the perfect woman and Frasier is a fool.

A FOOL I SAY NILES

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
niles managing to spray everything but a fire with a fire extinguisher is pretty funny

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I'm trying to picture Fraser within the context of 90's sitcoms and I'm seeing that

A) it specifically wasn't a family sitcom so it had like no overlap with Family Matters/FullHouse/Step by Step

B) it is definitely an inspiration/precursor to Arrested Development

C) It is probably SILLIER than any other office/workplace comedy at the time.

D) Best Dog

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

i thought they never showed maris

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Frasier was basically Portlandia 15 years before Portlandia, with various traditional sitcom plots welded on, and a character from a really popular and iconic television show thrown into the gumbo.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

It's a great testament to how well the show built up Maris that as soon as the dog shows up the audience immediately knew it was a Maris surrogate.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Cosmik Slop posted:

It should have been Niles and Mel. She was never the raging bitch-goddess the show had to turn her into so the Niles/Daphne "magic" would look better in comparison.

i've heard this parroted a lot in this thread and elsewhere and its' like lol, did you actually watch the show u motherfuckre, because the literal first episode with mel had her being an insane shrill harpy woman who immediately negged niles into getting plastic surgery haha

i mean niles isn't a great person or anything but come ON lol

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

That was Niles' fault for not just asking her out. He was using that stuff as an excuse to see her. Let's make a list:

Good:
- she encouraged him to follow his dreams
- pushed him to be as good of a person as he could be
- meshed perfectly with him and his society friends
- loved him unequivocally
- told Daphne, in a candid moment, that all she wanted was to be the safe and loving person in Niles' life that he deserved

Bad:
- she knew more people and was higher in Seattle society than Frasier
- she asked Daphne to make her coffee once, but wasn't in the main cast so that was wrong
- she was picky
- they had a "get to know her" brunch in which they skipped over everything and just made all the cast hate her at the end of it

No one honestly thought Mel was gonna be Niles' one and only, but they could have at least tried to give her a little more screen time to further develop the character.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

she literally made a point of trying to engender enmity between the crane brothers vis a vis the wine club and stuff, i mean i've seen you post insanely stupid poo poo SK, I get that it's your gimmick, but you're wrong and she's bad, sorry

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Sir Lemming posted:

Every will-they-won't-they is terrible if you really think about it, but it's just part of sitcom logic. Niles & Daphne ruled. (Until they got together.)

it generally just felt a little emptier afterwards because niles making innuendos, stammering or otherwise doing something goofy to impress an oblivious daphne was such a recurring staple of frasier that it was sometimes hard to fill with void with something else that fits with as much comedic tension

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Remember when Pam was the sweetest lady during the Jim and Pam romance, and as soon as they got married she turned in to a real sarcastic rear end in a top hat? Sitcom writers know the real deal

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Jim cucked Roy

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

ElGroucho posted:

Remember when Pam was the sweetest lady during the Jim and Pam romance, and as soon as they got married she turned in to a real sarcastic rear end in a top hat? Sitcom writers know the real deal

i don't remember her being the sweetest lady just an enabling bully who cheated on her fiance tbh

i also remember her fiance being dumb and insensitive but generally a decent enough dude, and then suddenly when it was time for pam and jim to hook up it was like WHOA BY THE WAY HE'S A HUUUUUUUUUGE VIOLENT PSYCHO, HAHA, DON'T HAVE SYMPATHY FOR THIS GUY CUZ HE'S A JERK in a tonal shift so jarring that loving dwight was regarded as a hero for the whole episode

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Don't feel bad for Roy. He would've been stuck in a depressing rut married to Pam, and even though he hit rock bottom, in the final season he ended up owning a successful business and marrying someone hotter and generally seeming much happier than Jim and Pam were.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Mega64 posted:

Don't feel bad for Roy. He would've been stuck in a depressing rut married to Pam, and even though he hit rock bottom, in the final season he ended up owning a successful business and marrying someone hotter and generally seeming much happier than Jim and Pam were.

that was genuinely uplifting

it's kinda like the new gilmore girls miniseries which kind of retroactively justifies the entire original show by showing rory's life falling apart more and more over the course of a year because being a snobby pretentious wit-dispenser is not actually a marketable skill

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

food court bailiff posted:

that was genuinely uplifting

it's kinda like the new gilmore girls miniseries which kind of retroactively justifies the entire original show by showing rory's life falling apart more and more over the course of a year because being a snobby pretentious wit-dispenser is not actually a marketable skill

Rory spends the entire original series loving up her life though.

She's explicitly the worst Gilmore girl by the end.

naem
May 29, 2011

The Gilmore girls was a baby boomer wank fantasy where the 40 something mom is the hot sassy lady who rebelled against wealthy conservative parents to go party and ends up with a pretty submissive perfect daughter (but not prettier than mommy SHES the star haha so sassy) and a bizarrely ideal life in a small town where SHE is the star of the show (because she's SO SASSY) and everything is safe and clean and everyone's happy and everyone surrounds her in a big happy group and they're all eating muffins all the time. Just happy small town SASSY muffins and still inheriting money from the parents whose hearts she broke to go off and get knocked up and party really hard with no negative repercussions

Alexis Bledel is super hot though

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

I hate Jim on The Office so much. He thinks he so much better than everyone he works with for no good reason. Yeah, go on Jim, be a dick to Dwight all the time just because he has a strong work ethic and isn't charmed by your dumb shenanigans. He's supposed to be a stand in I guess for the viewer because "he's an average guy just like you!" but I'm not a massive smarmy cock to everyone interact with.

gently caress I hate Jim and I hate the presumption that I should like him.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

sassassin posted:

seriously the new miniseries is i n c r e d i b l e for making this explicit. like emily's arc is all about her leaving behind her elitism and social circles and becoming more grounded, lorelai basically realizes that if she keeps being the rebellious manic pixie girl she's going to push people away forever and settles down, and rory just spends every single movie loving up her life worse and worse by her own precocious do-no-wrong hands until it culminates in those Last Four Words. ....which honestly kinda lost their impact so long after the show first aired, since rory's now as old as lorelai was when the show started and she was 16

naem posted:

Alexis Bledel is super hot though

this is why i started watching that show but i still dig it tbh

hmmm i think i've posted about gilmore girls in this, the frasier thread. roz is really hot. also when daphne was pregnant I thought the show actually capitalized on it well and gave it some meaning beyond "lol fat people"

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I like Jim, I'm just like him and empathize fully with his character.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
The episode Frasier was zonked out on pain pills was probably jackpot for Kelsey Grammer.

"Oh yes I'll uh... pretend... to be zonked out on oxy. ACTION!"

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Solice Kirsk posted:

Hey! This is a Frasier thread. If you wanna talk about Newsradio and Dave Foley and his amazing performances in The Kids in the Hall and Blast From the Past then start another thread!

Actually, we probably should:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhrnMbhMgmw

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Listen I started this thread okay my Frasier fan credentials are in order. I love me some Frasier! It's just hard for Newsradio not to come up in a discussion about any sitcom because it's the pinnacle of the genre.

OK there's a NewsRadio thread now

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

sassassin posted:

I tried to watch this poo poo and kept hoping a serial killer would take care of all these people

I don't know if I was supposed to be on the rich parents side, but I was, and that never happens

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Ralph Crammed In posted:

I hate Jim on The Office so much. He thinks he so much better than everyone he works with for no good reason. Yeah, go on Jim, be a dick to Dwight all the time just because he has a strong work ethic and isn't charmed by your dumb shenanigans. He's supposed to be a stand in I guess for the viewer because "he's an average guy just like you!" but I'm not a massive smarmy cock to everyone interact with.

gently caress I hate Jim and I hate the presumption that I should like him.

There's a couple episodes where it's shown that Jim's actually pretty anti-social in general. I don't think he's a terrible person but he's definitely not as amazing as he thinks he is.

Roy's pretty severely self-absorbed and inconsiderate even without the "sudden violent anger" thing though, so Pam definitely needed to move the gently caress on from him.

uh anyway just so this post isn't total derail, I found this anecdote about Kelsey Grammar when he was filming Down Periscope:

Cessna posted:

quote:

It is a dark and stormy night. The Stingray is rolling wildly. Dodge has Jacson, who was a basketball player at the Naval Acadamy (so why is he enlisted?) climb to the top of the periscope and hang the drop light from it. The guy he sends op slips and barely manages to hang on. He mutters under his breath “I never saw THIS poo poo on a recruiting poster!” I love that line. He gets the light attached as the Orlando approaches periscope depth.
Man, that scene…

I mentioned that most of the filming took place during the period when the sub was closed to the public and then towed up to Suisun Bay. Well, that scene was filmed early on, when the boat was still down at Fisherman’s Wharf. You can’t really see anything in the background due to the storm, and it was easier for them to bring in water...

The sub used to do Cub/Boy Scout tours and camping expeditions. They’d get a full tour, and some groups would spend the night on a sub. They’d set up watches, eat a meal cooked in the (still working) galley, etc. They were a lot of fun for the kids. We tried to re-schedule all of the groups that were supposed to have the boat during filming, but there was one group scheduled for a day on the boat, driving in from the Central Valley, that we couldn’t get ahold of.

So here’s how Hollywood films a “storm.” Remember how they were up on the periscope getting drenched with rain? Well, they can’t wait for a day when it rains. They make their own storm. With firehoses. You know you’re in for a bad time when they bring in multiple huge tanks full of water.

Ever been to San Francisco? It doesn’t snow there, but there’s a constant foggy, clammy cold in the air. It just bites through you.

Filming started just as it got dark. Poor Kelsey Grammer and Duane Martin went up on that mast, exposed to the wind – and they just soaked them with the hoses. The first time they got hit they almost fell off, even though they were lashed to the mast. That water was ice cold. They recovered, acted out the scene – cut.

And then they did it again. And again. And again. And again.

They filmed all. drat. Night.

Around midnight they let Grammer and Martin down, wrapped them up with towels, let them get inside into our only real building on the pier, a big toolshed, and gave them hot coffee. Half an hour later they were back up there tied to the masts, getting blasted with high pressure ice water.

And then they did it again. And again. And again. And again.

It was just miserable. Everyone who wasn’t with the film crew felt awful for them. The film crew didn’t care – “that’s why they make the big bucks, turn the hoses on again.” Over and over and over. They stopped filming when the sun started to come up. They were just miserable, pale and shaking, soaked to the bone and freezing.

And then the Boy Scouts showed up.

They came down the pier, ready for their tour, and saw the filming. One of them saw Grammer, wretched and shivering, and said “it’s Frasier!” (This was the mid-90’s, when kids would recognize Frasier or know about the show Cheers.)

Now, by any reasonable standard Grammer should have waved and said something like hey, kids, good to see you and left. Or he could have ducked out entirely.

But he was such a pro that even though filming was done he stayed there and hung out with the kids. He told them stories about being an actor, cracked them up telling jokes, told them about Cheers and how he got into acting, you name it.

It was amazing. Again, there he was, hit by ice-cold firehoses all drat night, freezing cold and sleepless, but when it came time to tell jokes to the kids, there he was, goofing around with them, singing songs, giving them a great time. And not on camera, either. Everyone involved in filming was packing up and leaving, but he was there for the kids, and no one else would ever know he’d done it. He stayed with them for two hours, them laughing the whole time, until they left to get their tour of the sub – and then he went and changed into dry clothes.

Say what you will about the guy, I have tremendous respect for him for that.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
tossed salad and taco bell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQ8ViYIeH04

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

maskenfreiheit posted:

The episode Frasier was zonked out on pain pills was probably jackpot for Kelsey Grammer.

"Oh yes I'll uh... pretend... to be zonked out on oxy. ACTION!"

I heard Frasier saying that in my head and laughed.

B.H. Facials
May 9, 2011

"Getting teased is part of growing up. It's no big deal. Just tell yourself, 'Sticks and stones may break my bones, but a .44 Magnum will tear that bully a new asshole!'"
https://youtu.be/6bxoAsvhcOI

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

ElGroucho posted:

I tried to watch this poo poo and kept hoping a serial killer would take care of all these people

I don't know if I was supposed to be on the rich parents side, but I was, and that never happens

You are. The idea that Emily and Richard are bad people is just where the show begins, as its jumping off point. Lorelai's view of them is frequently proved to be wrong, and her method of parenting leads to Rory becoming a selfish idiot who breaks up marriages and runs off with the similarly selfish rich playboy idiot.

Escaping the saccharine-sweet kookiness and constant support/enabling of the town is the only way to grow and succeed, as we see with Jess.

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

uh anyway just so this post isn't total derail, I found this anecdote about Kelsey Grammar when he was filming Down Periscope

Thanks for that. It's really nice to hear a story like that and not yet another about Kelsey's more, uh, conservative or eccentric side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

:stare: