Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Real hurthling! posted:

You forgot devils third
i cant wait for devils fourth(meal)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Jimbot posted:

Please stop reinforcing the stupid only dumb babies play Nintendo stereotype with posts like these. I said the exact opposite.

What?

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Jimbot posted:

I was actually hoping for more stuff like that during the WiiU cycle. It didn't quite pan out as I hoped.

Please stop reinforcing the stupid only dumb babies play Nintendo stereotype with posts like these. I said the exact opposite.

???

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Jimbot do you smell burning toast

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

What is this Jamesbot talking about

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jimbot posted:

I was actually hoping for more stuff like that during the WiiU cycle. It didn't quite pan out as I hoped.

What were you actually trying to say?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Zelder posted:

Jimbot do you smell burning toast

Not since I found the right setting on my toaster I haven't. I'm very picky with my toast.

Guy Goodbody posted:

What were you actually trying to say?

When Splatoon came out I was thrilled because it was a new Nintendo IP that focused on what they did great. Everything Real hurthling! posted. But then that was kind of it for the WiiU. ARMS looks good but I'm hoping for more new IPs from them that use their signature style. I'm focusing on Nintendo developed games that don't use any previous IP. Maybe that's where people are getting confused and defensive?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I think people are confused because ARMS seems to be exactly what you've described you're looking for but apparently it isn't.

edit: How is ARMS as a new IP underwhelming compared to Splatoon?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

He wishes new console ips were coming in greater quantity

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Motto posted:

He wishes new console ips were coming in greater quantity

But he admits that ARMS exists but then immediately disregards it for some reason.

He's also ignoring 1 2 Switch. Say what you will about 1 2 Switch, between it and ARMS that's two new nintendo games that aren't part of an existing IP in the first four months of the Switch's life.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

1 2 switch is loving nuts

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

FPzero posted:

I think people are confused because ARMS seems to be exactly what you've described you're looking for but apparently it isn't.

edit: How is ARMS as a new IP underwhelming compared to Splatoon?

I'm glad it's being made. It always grinded my gears that on the consoles Nintendo seemed to rest on their laurels IP-wise they kept reusing the same old IP, characters and made these great games but never seemed to use those creative juices to make new IP, new characters and all that good stuff. Splatoon was something special and it was overall a fantastic game. ARMS looks good but it just doesn't do it for me. A friend is getting it so I'll give it a shot but I'll probably pass on it.

Guy Goodbody posted:

But he admits that ARMS exists but then immediately disregards it for some reason.

He's also ignoring 1 2 Switch. Say what you will about 1 2 Switch, between it and ARMS that's two new nintendo games that aren't part of an existing IP in the first four months of the Switch's life.

A Nintendo developed new IP is always welcome but won't always be something that appeals to me. I'm not disregarding it as an exclusive, it just doesn't appeal to me the same way Splatoon does. 1-2 Switch is a series of tech demos, though. They're quaint but Wii Sports they are not and won't ever be. Sorry.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'd like to see a timeline of when Nintendo has introduced new IPs. Everybody acts like they never do but it seems like every system, except maybe the Wii U, have had a few

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Quest For Glory II posted:

it will definitely be in one of the keynotes, even if it is not on the stage floor

I give it a less than 10% chance of being in a keynote. It will 100% not be on the show floor.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
There's also this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtNPAZ2Lkn4

A noted "good game" and a new Nintendo IP released in February of this year.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Apparently Take-Two isn't bringing anything to E3.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

mutata posted:

I give it a less than 10% chance of being in a keynote. It will 100% not be on the show floor.
I mean I know you're tapped in because you actually work in the industry, and I know what Take Two says, but things always have a 0% chance of happening at E3 until they then show up.

if the game is coming out spring 2018 then it will be out before E3 2018, so this E3 would be its only chance to appear. and a great deal of E3 keynotes involves games that release in 2018. so it would be weird to me if it was absent. like, watch dogs showed up at 3 different E3s before it came out, and here there's only one E3 between RDR2 and its release. and Take Two IS going to be there talking to press, and likely having stuff behind closed doors. I feel like it's going to show up, in some form. A teaser, a trailer, something.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

rockstar will have its own event 6 months from launch and get huge hype articles written in the tech section of every website

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I’m mostly just looking forward to Sony’s conference. Everybody always hypes up Nintendo, but I haven’t really cared about one of their conferences in a long time.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

In case anyone was hoping, the Shenmue 3 guys just slipped in their newest update about character models that they're not going to E3 because they're focusing on game development for all of June.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

E3 is a rotting husk of increasing irrelevance that is trying to stem the bloodletting with desperation gimmicks like public tickets. The publishers who have bowed out from major floor/conference presence are those who have correctly read the signs and set up their own ancillary events on their own schedule, leaving only the ones who haven't realized things yet, or who are even larger enough to not care about throwing some money at this event

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Quest For Glory II posted:

I mean I know you're tapped in because you actually work in the industry, and I know what Take Two says, but things always have a 0% chance of happening at E3 until they then show up.

if the game is coming out spring 2018 then it will be out before E3 2018, so this E3 would be its only chance to appear. and a great deal of E3 keynotes involves games that release in 2018. so it would be weird to me if it was absent. like, watch dogs showed up at 3 different E3s before it came out, and here there's only one E3 between RDR2 and its release. and Take Two IS going to be there talking to press, and likely having stuff behind closed doors. I feel like it's going to show up, in some form. A teaser, a trailer, something.

I don't have any real inside info on R* except that all teams are pretty much split between RDR2 and GTA6, which, like, duh. I personally don't believe RDR2 is coming out in 2018, though. Mainly I know that Rockstar knows that they don't need the E3 signal boost to hype their stuff at all, so they'd most likely prefer to debut trailers on their own time and on their own dime, plus they just announced a delay so I doubt they'll want to bring that back into investors' minds by debuting a trailer. Just my hunches!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Sakurazuka posted:

They had a few decent exclusives under Microsoft Studios but their first party stuff has always been nothing but Halo/Gears/Forza/the rotting corpse of Rare

i honestly think its because Microsoft just doesnt give a gently caress anymore, they are losing more money in their gaming division then earning and the scorpio seems like the last throw of the dice before they say gently caress it. most of the exclusives so far for the xbone suck rear end or a meh. gears 4 was crap, halo 5 was poo poo, ryse could have been good but it was also poo poo, sunset over drive was fun but the humor was awful and not much geled. the only bad exclusive for the ps4 was order 1886 and that was a crap shooter written by wannabe art house/indie dips. so yeah i think the scorpio is their last big shot.

yeah that makes sense. apparently 2k will be there. probably just drop some random announcements, borderlands and new bioshock. probably some remasters.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Roth posted:

I’m mostly just looking forward to Sony’s conference. Everybody always hypes up Nintendo, but I haven’t really cared about one of their conferences in a long time.

Their conferences for the last couple of years haven't been nearly as hype

What I'm saying is, port Smash 4 to the switch and bring back character reveals

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva
Why is it every time the new IP discussion pops up it always seems to be Nintendo focused? What about Microsoft? Sony?

OK, Sony has been pretty good with new IPs. I think 5? 6? Since PS4 launched?

But Microsoft? I honestly don't really pay attention to Xbox stuff and the only things I see are Halo, Gears, and Forza. So I don't know what new ones they've had this generation outside of Sunset Overdrive and Quantum Break.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Gorgolflox posted:

Why is it every time the new IP discussion pops up it always seems to be Nintendo focused? What about Microsoft? Sony?

But Microsoft? I honestly don't really pay attention to Xbox stuff and the only things I see are Halo, Gears, and Forza. So I don't know what new ones they've had this generation outside of Sunset Overdrive and Quantum Break.

Nintendo doesn't make a lot of new IPs, so they tend to get more attention.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Gorgolflox posted:

Nah I think you covered it.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Sunset Overdrive should've done better.

Nintendo has made exclusives a part of the fabric of their brand (and indeed their IP collection IS their brand to most consumers), whereas Sony and Microsoft haven't quite been able to sink those stakes in the ground. They've held fast and protected their IP to the degree that when you hear the announcement "you'll only be able to play the new Mario game on Nintendo's console" people think "yeah duh" but when you hear "Sunset Overdrive will only be available on Xbox" people think "what? Why? Exclusivity is so dumb".

It helps that Ninty's IP catalog has some really great classic games in it. Sony has done better, but Microsoft has never been able to carry one forward and really endear it to the culture like Mario and Zelda. Even HALO has gotten stale and struggled to remain relevant. They tried to make Blinx the Cat the console's mascot...

mutata fucked around with this message at 08:18 on May 29, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I read the title of this thread as "Vaporwave" and now I'm kind of disappointed

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I read the title of this thread as "Vaporwave" and now I'm kind of disappointed

Vaporwave is good and cool.

E3 won't have anything like Vaporwave.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

mutata posted:

Sunset Overdrive should've done better.

Nintendo has made exclusives a part of the fabric of their brand (and indeed their IP collection IS their brand to most consumers), whereas Sony and Microsoft haven't quite been able to sink those stakes in the ground. They've held fast and protected their IP to the degree that when you hear the announcement "you'll only be able to play the new Mario game on Nintendo's console" people think "yeah duh" but when you hear "Sunset Overdrive will only be available on Xbox" people think "what? Why? Exclusivity is so dumb".

It helps that Ninty's IP catalog has some really great classic games in it. Sony has done better, but Microsoft has never been able to carry one forward and really endear it to the culture like Mario and Zelda. Even HALO has gotten stale and struggled to remain relevant. They tried to make Blinx the Cat the console's mascot...

It would be amazing if they brought back Blinx. I always thought it had an interesting concept that could have used more refinement.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
A Scorpio-exclusive Blinx reboot would save Microsoft's gaming division

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Microsoft Scorpio to unveil amiibo style statues

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Infinitum posted:

Microsoft Scorpio to unveil amiibo style statues

If Microsoft made NFC readers for their games, but did them in the style of those lovely military coins, they'd clean up.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Actually if Microsoft/Sony teamed up with Funko Vinyl Pops to make NFC enabled Pops, they wouldn't be able to sell them fast enough.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I want to go to E3.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

E3 is a rotting husk of increasing irrelevance that is trying to stem the bloodletting with desperation gimmicks like public tickets. The publishers who have bowed out from major floor/conference presence are those who have correctly read the signs and set up their own ancillary events on their own schedule, leaving only the ones who haven't realized things yet, or who are even larger enough to not care about throwing some money at this event

Except it's fun.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Can't wait to see FF7 again at E3 2020.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

Can't wait to see FF7 again at E3 2020.

Calling it now they'll show off some minor sequence that'll get the fanboys salivating

Cloud in drag hopefully :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

E3's profile was down for awhile but I think it's still easily the biggest gaming event of the year in terms of announcements and upcoming projects.

• Locked thread