Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

homeless snail posted:

I'm gonna guess something like Rocket League, cause it was free and kinda easy to platinum

really doubt many people would go through the incredibly tedious single player stuff for the plat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Big Rocket League Platinum Haver Here

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I know nothing about this game - is it the successor to the old style Mario Golf RPGs that it appears to be?
The first Everybody's Golf aka Hot Shots Golf was made by Camelot who went on to make Mario Golf, and it hasn't really changed much since despite the change in developer.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Every time I like a game I'm like "hell yeah this is going to be my first Plat" and then I burn out 5 minutes after beating it. Although that finally changed and I have 2 that I both got in the last year because I waste a much higher percentage of my life playing games than I used to.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
Taking a hiatus from gaming for a few months, and then when I start gaming again I'm cutting back on my gaming time severely.

So looking at my PS4 backlog, I'm wondering whether I will really get to all the games and would like input on realistic "must plays".
- Bloodborne
- Nioh
- Life is Strange
- FF Type 0
- Ratchet and Clank
- DQ Heroes 2

and some others.

The first game I will play when I get back from my hiatus is Horizon Zero Dawn (been playing Zelda, so it has been on hold). I didn't really enjoy the Dark Souls games, but didn't really give them the old college try either, so not sure about Nioh or Bloodborne. I didn't beat FF15, though I may at some point and have heard Type 0 is a bad port, not that fun. I enjoyed DQ Heroes 1, but I would have been fine not playing it (rather have a mainline DQ game, though DQ Builders was a lot of fun, though I wasn't a fan of Minecraft).

Horizon and the upcoming Uncharted game are the only PS4 games I am really excited about now. So considering selling off the others since I won't have time to play them all with my planned future gaming schedule (need to spend my time elsewhere in life, mostly family). So really looking just for "must play" level games. I feel like Nioh or Bloodborne are the only ones in that caliber on the list, but with my previous lack of enjoying Dark Souls games, I dunno. Has others not enjoy Dark Souls, but got into those games?

Thanks!

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I really only bother with plats if I really like the game and the plat is reasonable or if the plat is really easy and getting it doesn't require like a second playthrough or anything. Like I have a few games that are pretty much "replay this 2 hour game with a guide and you'll have a plat" but I can't be bothered with that poo poo. I will say I find it annoying when I rally like a game but the plat sort of sucks.

Recently I wanted to get the Plat on A Night in the Woods because I really loved that game but because of bugginess and some other shenanigans, last I checked that game literally has a 0% plat, so I just let it go (plus I'd never not gently caress up the last song anyways).

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

FireMrshlBill posted:

Has others not enjoy Dark Souls, but got into those games?

I never enjoyed souls games, but I really loved Nioh and still play Nioh. It's fast paced and as unforgiving, but provide you with tools to make the game way easier like magic talismans and ninja skills. Now I'm playing Bloodborne and really enjoying it too, even though I gave up on it early into my first try.

It's very dependent on mood though. If you don't feel like occasionally running into a massive difficulty spike and want a more beer and skittles experience I'd steer clear until you feel like that kind of game.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Only platinum I ever had was Sly Cooper 1 on the Sly Cooper collection. You pretty much just had to beat the game. It was reasonable before most games turned into Banjo Kazooie mode and have you collect a million things

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

FireMrshlBill posted:

So looking at my PS4 backlog, I'm wondering whether I will really get to all the games and would like input on realistic "must plays".
- Bloodborne
- Nioh
- Life is Strange
- FF Type 0
- Ratchet and Clank
- DQ Heroes 2
In terms of quality: Bloodborne, Nioh, Ratchet and Clank, Life is Strange, DQ Heroes 2 ,FF Type 0.

I'm not a big Souls game fan, but I'm sure most people would tell you they are the ones you 'should' play. Life Is Strange / Ratchet and Clank / DQ Heroes are all solid games in their respective genre, but I wouldn't say any of them you need to go out of your way to play. Play whatever game you feel like. FF Type 0 is a bad game and probably should be avoided at all costs. This is from someone who finished it.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I know nothing about this game - is it the successor to the old style Mario Golf RPGs that it appears to be?

Everybody's Golf/Hot Shots Golf the franchise is 20 years old, it's been on every PlayStation console ever.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

play bloodborne

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Harlock posted:

In terms of quality: Bloodborne, Nioh, Ratchet and Clank, Life is Strange, DQ Heroes 2 ,FF Type 0.

I'm not a big Souls game fan, but I'm sure most people would tell you they are the ones you 'should' play. Life Is Strange / Ratchet and Clank / DQ Heroes are all solid games in their respective genre, but I wouldn't say any of them you need to go out of your way to play. Play whatever game you feel like. FF Type 0 is a bad game and probably should be avoided at all costs. This is from someone who finished it.

Thanks, I probably will hold onto Nioh for now, Bloodborne as well. I'll probably keep Rachet and Clank around too since my kids may enjoy watching me play it a bit, rather than some bloody violent game. DQ Heroes as well. Others will go. I think I have given up on playing all the FF games anyway at this point. Maybe just play the FF7 Remake and call it quits on FF.

Ya, my plan is 2-3 story based games a year, and maybe something like Mario Kart here and there. So basically 1-2 games on PS4 and 1-2 on Switch, and not buying any new consoles after. Have too much else going on, and kinda want to curb my gaming before my kids get older, don't want them spending as much time on gaming as I have. And definitely not as much money, haha.

Horizon, Nioh, Uncharted in August, and Rime on the Switch will probably last me until mid-late 2018 at this point.

JBP posted:

I never enjoyed souls games, but I really loved Nioh and still play Nioh. It's fast paced and as unforgiving, but provide you with tools to make the game way easier like magic talismans and ninja skills. Now I'm playing Bloodborne and really enjoying it too, even though I gave up on it early into my first try.

It's very dependent on mood though. If you don't feel like occasionally running into a massive difficulty spike and want a more beer and skittles experience I'd steer clear until you feel like that kind of game.

Thanks, will keep Nioh for after Horizon. May as well keep Bloodborne too since it really isn't worth much to sell anyways. With my goal of reducing down to 2-3 big games a year, and only playing in short sporadic spurts, not sure how much difficulty/frustration i'll want at that point.

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 05:29 on May 29, 2017

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

You'll play the FF7 Remake in 2035 at the earliest if each Episode takes as long as they appear to take

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

You'll play the FF7 Remake in 2035 at the earliest if each Episode takes as long as they appear to take

Perfect! both kids should be in college at that point

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I've always liked rumble? 🤷🏽‍♀️ should always be optional though

If it wasn't for the DS4's horrible battery life I'd have no problem leaving rumble on. I think the controller speaker is pretty cool and would love leaving it on too.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

FireMrshlBill posted:

Taking a hiatus from gaming for a few months, and then when I start gaming again I'm cutting back on my gaming time severely.

So really looking just for "must play" level games. I feel like Nioh or Bloodborne are the only ones in that caliber on the list, but with my previous lack of enjoying Dark Souls games, I dunno. Has others not enjoy Dark Souls, but got into those games?

Thanks!
Bloodborne is fantastic. I'd suggest you do that after Horizon (which is a great game). I'm not a huge Souls person, I enjoyed some brief time with DS2 but bounced off Demon Souls during the initial hype, then tried DS1 on the PC and was ehh, played DS2 which I actually liked, then bought 3 and never got into it. But holy god Bloodborne is real good and was hooked as soon as I beat Cleric Beast and got the Kirkhammer (was sort of so-so up until then). Having guns instead of Shields feels so good, and everything is just meaty and feels real rewarding. I don't even consider myself particularly good at this game but feels like you can get through it pretty steadily even if you suck, unlike other Souls games I've played.

I actually tried Nioh before Bloodborne and didn't really care for it, I'll give it another try as I'm close to finishing up the BB DLC and have done all the chalice dungeons. But BB has just fantastic world, actually pretty good storytelling for a From game unlike Souls which I found a little too off-outting and weird, and just great level design and enemies. Nioh's levels and enemies felt really bad and flat to me but Ill be trying it again with a new perspective and I didn't really like getting wrapped up in a bazillion identical drops and stuff.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

FireMrshlBill posted:

- Bloodborne
- Nioh
- Life is Strange
- FF Type 0
- Ratchet and Clank
- DQ Heroes 2

and some others.

The first game I will play when I get back from my hiatus is Horizon Zero Dawn (been playing Zelda, so it has been on hold). I didn't really enjoy the Dark Souls games, but didn't really give them the old college try either, so not sure about Nioh or Bloodborne. I didn't beat FF15, though I may at some point and have heard Type 0 is a bad port, not that fun. I enjoyed DQ Heroes 1, but I would have been fine not playing it (rather have a mainline DQ game, though DQ Builders was a lot of fun, though I wasn't a fan of Minecraft).

Horizon and the upcoming Uncharted game are the only PS4 games I am really excited about now. So considering selling off the others since I won't have time to play them all with my planned future gaming schedule (need to spend my time elsewhere in life, mostly family). So really looking just for "must play" level games. I feel like Nioh or Bloodborne are the only ones in that caliber on the list, but with my previous lack of enjoying Dark Souls games, I dunno. Has others not enjoy Dark Souls, but got into those games?

Thanks!

I don't think Type-0 is a bad port. it's absolutely a port of a PSP game and there are plenty of places it looks like it, but it's not like it crashes or glitches a bunch. ultimately, if you like JRPGs, there's a decent chance you'd enjoy it--I liked it enough to get the platinum, and I don't bother for most games. it has a fun battle system that I enjoyed a lot, and you don't have to do all the weird side quest stuff if you don't want to.

it's certainly not a "must play" in general the way games like Bloodborne or Uncharted tend to get the recommendation, but I didn't have any complaints after I finished. the combat isn't deep, but it's fun, and the story is different enough to be engaging. the biggest complaint that I have is just that the areas tend to get kind of samey, especially towns.

it's a game that expects you to play through more than once, but you can still get most out of a single go

if you like games about walking around, talking to people, and making choices that affect things later, Life Is Strange is I think the best game out there for it.

in terms of Bloodborne, I had never played a Souls game before I got it, and I have zero interest in ever playing another one, but I enjoyed Bloodborne a lot, so it can definitely click for you without prior experience. I think others have said it's one of the friendliest entries into the genre

morallyobjected fucked around with this message at 07:05 on May 29, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The disco minigame in Yakuza 0 is the hardest thing I've ever done.

Like I can't pass songs on easy :(

Snak fucked around with this message at 07:05 on May 29, 2017

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

FireMrshlBill posted:

- Bloodborne
- Nioh
- Life is Strange
- FF Type 0
- Ratchet and Clank
- DQ Heroes 2

and some others.

Out of those games I got the most enjoyment out of Life is Strange. It's also great to play with a friend or two if you get invested on the story. It's five episodes which so there are four natural points where you can take a break from the game.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Bloodborne is demanding and might require a lot of your time to get any satisfaction from it if you don't click with the gameplay early on. It takes some commitment to really enjoy it, but it's also good enough to be the one game you play for a while.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

acksplode posted:

Bloodborne is demanding and might require a lot of your time to get any satisfaction from it if you don't click with the gameplay early on. It takes some commitment to really enjoy it, but it's also good enough to be the one game you play for a while.

I honestly didn't like it until I was able to get Ludwig's Holy Blade, which was the perfect weapon that went with my playstyle.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I would say to put at least one game of separation in between Horizon and Life is Strange unless you want to be weirded out by Aloy saying hella a lot and complaining about her fascist step-prick.

Life is Strange is a really beautiful game but you shouldn't go into it with a too-cool attitude. Just embrace the teenage angst.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Lobok posted:

Sure sure, next you're going to say something about how the prevalence of guns in American games says something about American culture.

Indeed, I might do

morallyobjected posted:

in terms of Bloodborne, I had never played a Souls game before I got it, and I have zero interest in ever playing another one, but I enjoyed Bloodborne a lot, so it can definitely click for you without prior experience. I think others have said it's one of the friendliest entries into the genre

I had no interest in bloodsouls until I played Bloodborne. Now I've played them all.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 10:29 on May 29, 2017

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
Bloodborne is as close to next-gen Castlevania we're going to get and is a gem. Dark Souls 3 was a goddamn joy as well. Ratchet and Clank is also very good, pure condensed joy on a disc.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
I don't really get why but I'm the opposite from some of these folks. I picked up Dark Souls for cheap having never heard of it and eventually got into it enough to clock some hours, but I lost interest in Bloodborne all of five minutes in and probably won't ever pick it up again.

It has me really on the fence about Dark Souls 3 since I think I like the DS formula more but know the series has varied somewhat with the sequels.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Conversely I'm always puzzled by people who endlessly dissect the finer points of Soulsborne games. They're all like 95% the same.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Yeah, but that's what makes their differences interesting. There's a core formula that they're all built around but every single one of them is a very different interpretation.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
The last platinum trophy I went out of my way to do was for Ar no Surge on ps3 and it is also the last one I will ever bother to do. I thought it wouldn't be so bad since I only had like 3-4 missing after finishing the game, but holy poo poo even as an anime apologist do I still feel filthy for going out of my way to unlock the "Bad Ending"

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Going for the platinum for Destiny was one of the most fun experiences me and my friends had. Challenging and fun trophies are my favorite.
I'm still surprised we kept going and kept it cool after failing for 2 weeks straight to do the flawless raid in 2014.
It was awesome. We would point out the causes for a death but never blame someone for it. Just learn from it and we learned to cover each other's weaknesses.
But when we finally did it. man it felt great. Sadly there wasn't much else to do in Destiny after that. me and another friend stopped playing destiny and came back when the taken king and rise of iron released. the other friend still kept playing and is still playing destiny to this day.

So now we are eagerly awaiting the release of Destiny 2 to come back and do it all over again.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Sefal posted:

I'm still surprised we kept going and kept it cool after failing for 2 weeks straight to do the flawless raid in 2014.

Was that before or after they changed Atheon to send random people through time instead of the three furthest away? That change always pissed me off, considering the guns with affixes specifically for killing Oracles.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

kirbysuperstar posted:

Was that before or after they changed Atheon to send random people through time instead of the three furthest away? That change always pissed me off, considering the guns with affixes specifically for killing Oracles.

Before. We always had each person fulfill a specific role.
I think we might have given up it if it was random. Our Oracle killer was amazing at getting them down asap.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Now the new Vault of Glass for Age of Triumph just hands out Oracle-killing weapons like candy so you get your Atheon's Epilogues, Vision of Confluences, and such just by beating a couple bosses. I think I finished Destiny with a complete set of VoG weaponry, largely because I like VoG the most out of the 4 raids (also I love the AoT outfit, slapped some Dunemarchers on for legs).

Destiny is probably one of the most fun I've had getting a platinum. You'll probably end up seeing everything there is to do in the process of getting it, nice mix of challenges and landmark events, though to be honest I did one of those solo cheese strategies to solo the Crota's End raid so I didn't have to wrangle anyone to get the Flawless Raider trophy done. They patched a lot of those tricks out with Age of Triumph though. I can't wait to see what Destiny 2's got for a list, knowing what Bungie's done in the past and what they've got lined up I'm sure they've got some bugfuck ridiculous stuff like winning a game of that new soccer thing or topping a Sparrow Racing League bracket or loving hell maybe a trip to the Lighthouse.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
VoG is the one raid I did the most. I still remember pushing Atheon off the cliff with grenades. I'm still salty i lost most of my destiny footage. Never did Crota's. By the time i got back to destiny. It was well into the Taken King.
Getting people to do Crota was pretty hard. But goons helped me with TTK and ROI raids.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Crota was way easier to flawless, that's where my group did it. Only took three tries, too.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/05/29/playstation-e3-experience-2017-live-in-theaters-june-12/

The E3 event tickets will be available tomorrow 10am Pacific. They're using a site called gofobo and it won't allow browsers with adblock on.

This link is for the tickets:
https://playstation.com/e3experience

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

homeless snail posted:

Yeah, but that's what makes their differences interesting. There's a core formula that they're all built around but every single one of them is a very different interpretation.

Totally, not to mention the writing is loving great.

I really developed a huge amount of respect for just how focused Miyazaki's vision is in these games, and how much more generic they would be without his magic (see: DS2, Nioh, Lords of the Fallen, etc, etc).

Bloodborne especially has some incredibly cool ideas about guilt, perception, time, legacy, institutional corruption, etc etc. I've chatted headcanon for hours with my friends about BB's themes.

All of life is a paradigm of Beasthood vs Insight. :bloodborne:

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 18:29 on May 29, 2017

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Is there any Greatest Hits versions for PS4? If not, do you when they might do something like that?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Is there any Greatest Hits versions for PS4? If not, do you when they might do something like that?

There hasn't been any branding like that on PS4 yet. However, a lot of Sony first party titles end up at $20 after a year or two and go even lower during a PSN sale.

E:
Japan has a Vita greatest hits re-release, but in the west it's become a thing to release some 3,000 copies that will never be reprinted again.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
What's the likelihood of the PS4 and/or Pro getting a price drop this year? I've been putting off getting one, but keeping a list of games I want when I finally cave. The list is getting long and ugly.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

WHY BONER NOW posted:

What's the likelihood of the PS4 and/or Pro getting a price drop this year? I've been putting off getting one, but keeping a list of games I want when I finally cave. The list is getting long and ugly.

PS4 technically got a price drop by way of the 1TB HDD being standard now instead of the 500GB. We may see a drop on the Pro by the time Project Scorpio is out. That is of course if it's priced competitively. If it ends up being way more, Sony won't do a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

8-bit Miniboss posted:

PS4 technically got a price drop by way of the 1TB HDD being standard now instead of the 500GB. We may see a drop on the Pro by the time Project Scorpio is out. That is of course if it's priced competitively. If it ends up being way more, Sony won't do a thing.

I'm half-expecting a pricedrop just to dunk on Microsoft for the fun of it.

"This is our new Scorpio, for $700-$800."

"$399. Again."