Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I might suspect that the book actually works because the artist clearly just drew pepe, putin and a lolcat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
So the Cult of Kek is actually a Cult of Ba'al?

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

SavageGentleman posted:

Hey guys, if you wanna know more about demons - maybe just ask them?

disclaimer: I'm such a pussy that I was even too much of a craven to enter the "say the hail mary thrice backwards in a mirror" game in school.

I did neither :respek: I still clearly remember sitting in front of the mirror when I was like eight and thinking to myself: “That's such a crock of bullshit! But... Omigod what if it isn't??? and never actually daring to do it :v:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

System Metternich posted:

I did neither :respek: I still clearly remember sitting in front of the mirror when I was like eight and thinking to myself: “That's such a crock of bullshit! But... Omigod what if it isn't??? and never actually daring to do it :v:
does "Bloody Mary" exist in germany? because that's the one we did

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

System Metternich posted:

i don't believe in ghosts but i'm not gonna go into a haunted house and start calling the ghost a bitch coward and daring them to come at me

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
even if the russian church weren't sucking putin's cock right now, i'd still resent them for what they did to the old believers, who are for the most part decent people, and who don't deserve what they've been through. Here is a photoessay about a very small, very remote Old Believer town--some of them live in isolated locations because of past persecution--and a forest fire they faced in 2016. Mail comes in once every two weeks by helicopter.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...omepage%2Fstory

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 02:57 on May 28, 2017

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.

Senju Kannon posted:

i don't believe in ghosts but i'm not gonna go into a haunted house and start calling the ghost a bitch coward and daring them to come at me

I've don't the same thing to Satan walking the streets after a friend claimed some spiritual oppression.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

ive never really gotten the deal with worrying about hauntings and stuff. like what's it going to do, kill me? a mugger will kill me. tempt me to sin? i think it's easier to listen to the devil when he's not throwing poo poo at you

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
bitch you can see a mugger you can't see a ghost! not to mention if ghosts are real and a ghosts kills you then according to most religions/cultures (however you want to say it) odds are good that you too will become a ghost! and no one wants that!

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
There are rumors about ghosts haunting the tunnels underneath the Petrovaradin fortress.

The rumors are bullshit. I've been hanging there for the past 200 years and I've never seen one.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

HEY GAIL posted:

does "Bloody Mary" exist in germany? because that's the one we did

In Denmark it's Blue Mary.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Senju Kannon posted:

bitch you can see a mugger you can't see a ghost! not to mention if ghosts are real and a ghosts kills you then according to most religions/cultures (however you want to say it) odds are good that you too will become a ghost! and no one wants that!

If ghosts are real than who are you to say that you can't see one?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Well they that G spot is real... :v:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

how can ghosts be real if our eyes arent real

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Ghosts are real but they keep away from us living because we're weird and scary and that is why we don't see them

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ghosts are afraid of skeletons, and you have a skeleton inside you.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

OwlFancier posted:

Ghosts are afraid of skeletons, and you have a skeleton inside you.

skeletons are good and cool and I feel that catholicism Gets Skeletons

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
after my dad died my mother couldn't handle living in the house they lived in for years, so she decided to sell it. when she was asked by the realtor why she wanted to say it she told her that since her husband died, it was "haunted." the realtor said "you know you don't have to disclose that."

ghosts are a big deal in america, and metaphors about grief are Not Welcome at real estate sales

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Senju Kannon posted:

after my dad died my mother couldn't handle living in the house they lived in for years, so she decided to sell it. when she was asked by the realtor why she wanted to say it she told her that since her husband died, it was "haunted." the realtor said "you know you don't have to disclose that."

ghosts are a big deal in america, and metaphors about grief are Not Welcome at real estate sales

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stambovsky_v._Ackley

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
i want you to know this is the first wikipedia article i'm gonna read all the way through and i've sent it to my mother for her (potential) amusement, holy poo poo

there's legal precedent for selling haunted houses holy gently caress what a country

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.
As a society, we have been far too tolerant of freeloading ghosts. They occupy the homes of good, hard-working people who pay their mortgages on time without themselves contributing a dime. They drag down property values, increase the murder and suicide rates, and all in all, take advantage of every bit of goodwill that is shown them. All ghosts need to be deported back to the underworld, except maybe those who can be induced to get proper jobs and start paying off their back property taxes.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Numerical Anxiety posted:

As a society, we have been far too tolerant of freeloading ghosts. They occupy the homes of good, hard-working people who pay their mortgages on time without themselves contributing a dime. They drag down property values, increase the murder and suicide rates, and all in all, take advantage of every bit of goodwill that is shown them. All ghosts need to be deported back to the underworld, except maybe those who can be induced to get proper jobs and start paying off their back property taxes.

Some of them, I assume, were good people

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

There was a history professor at my old (Episcopal) church who once said his house was haunted, and that he befriended the ghost.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
there was a room at my college called the "exorcism room" and students weren't allowed in there (because it was dangerous as gently caress and not up to code, one of the problems with having a building from the early 19th century), and everyone said it was haunted by a priest who killed himself after performing an exorcism. sounds like bullshit tho cause the girl who was supposedly exorcised "ran out of the school and was never seen again" which is how you write a story and not a true event thing.

lived in that building for a year (it had all my theology classes in it since it was the theology and religious studies building, which meant i didn't even need to wear shoes which owned) and never once saw no priest ghost. such bullshit.

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."
when i was in undergrad, the korean evangelical group performed an exorcism in a dormitory lounge. the repeated shrieking from the patient got an RA called, but the RA was a member of the group and told people to just ignore it. it was a minor scandal because the RA wasn't fired even though they were clearly giving special treatment to a student group just because they were also a member. they were also one of the student groups that repeatedly got told off for skirting the line between proselytizing and harassment but always got out unscathed because they threatened to drag the university into a religious discrimination suit

tl;dr if you're going to do an exorcism, first call a professional and also do not do it in close proximity to people who are trying to sleep

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

who the gently caress wants excorcisms done by evangelicals, call the professionals

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

StashAugustine posted:

who the gently caress wants excorcisms done by evangelicals, call the professionals

Mhm, unless it's going to involve a full hecatomb of cattle then you aren't doing propitiating spirits right.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
let's be honest catholic exorcisms have nothing on esoteric buddhism and religions like shintoism or daoism

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Senju Kannon posted:

For most of America, the houses aren't old enough to feel "spooky." Having grown up in a town in New England with a ton of antique houses that creak at night (and a vivid imagination) I can tell you that while I never really believed in ghosts at the same time there were times where I felt spooked out by walking down a dark corridor at night.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
yeah but my dad was just this shy of dying in the house and even with a fairly new, renovated home that's a no no in the real estate business

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
there are some states where you have to tell them if someone died in the house, that's the law

don't gently caress around with ghosts in america

my dad posted:

There are rumors about ghosts haunting the tunnels underneath the Petrovaradin fortress.

The rumors are bullshit. I've been hanging there for the past 200 years and I've never seen one.
:thunk:

Caufman
May 7, 2007

HEY GAIL posted:

there are some states where you have to tell them if someone died in the house, that's the law

Ha ha ha, back in old country, we don't even tell the families where we buried their kin.

:(

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Bel_Canto posted:

when i was in undergrad, the korean evangelical group performed an exorcism in a dormitory lounge. the repeated shrieking from the patient got an RA called, but the RA was a member of the group and told people to just ignore it.

This is why I'm against loving around with demons. Even if my belief that demons are real is wrong, people who try to engage with them end up hurting mentally ill people or otherwise causing evil. There's nothing to be gained with playing in that particular sandpit. Refer this stuff to your bishop, and walk away.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Senju Kannon posted:

let's be honest catholic exorcisms have nothing on esoteric buddhism and religions like shintoism or daoism

I love that djinni can be Muslim, Christian or Jew,and you can convert them and/or just tell them to gently caress off.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
From a practical standpoint, I think the question of whether demons exist or not is irrelevant. Someone tempting me down a sinful path doesn't need to be a demon to potentially have that effect on me, and I don't need demonic influence to have thoughts I shouldn't.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Mr Enderby posted:

This is why I'm against loving around with demons. Even if my belief that demons are real is wrong, people who try to engage with them end up hurting mentally ill people or otherwise causing evil. There's nothing to be gained with playing in that particular sandpit. Refer this stuff to your bishop, and walk away.

When I was Episcopalian, one priest I was friends with liked to point me to the section on exorcism in one of the extra service books. After a quick summary, the only instruction is to, yes, call your bishop.

Tias
May 25, 2008

You'd be surprised at what people consider necessary. To shamans, all you really need to perform a exorcism is a quartz crystal of appropriate size and a cleansing altar or mound of dirt!

E: regardless of whether the possession is by the lingering dead or an actual malevolent spirit, you need to suck it out and trap it in the crystal, then cleanse the crystal to get rid of it.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
tfw no legalistic Gloranthan ghosts.

And yes, I know about the prayer to revoke the legal rights of demons.

Tias
May 25, 2008

I always went for suing the ghost, but often as not it won the countersuit and I the original owners had to leave their cottage, destroying clan morale :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

Tias posted:

I always went for suing the ghost, but often as not it won the countersuit and I the original owners had to leave their cottage, destroying clan morale :(

Ahh it wasn't that bad. You need to make sure you have someone whose got a good grasp of legal precedents though.

I wonder if they could make a horror film about legally compelling ghosts to leave a haunted house.

• Locked thread