Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Inverness posted:

Perhaps the titular miscalculation is Reimu blaming Yukari here?

That's the likely outcome. Or maybe the miscalculation is going to be thinking that leaving the powerful and crafty Tanuki Boss with the dangerous magical item she desires is somehow a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
Everyone in this thread better buy every licensed volume of FS or else. :nignog:

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Clarste posted:

They're meant for controllers.

Blasphemy!

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

leather fedora posted:

Everyone in this thread better buy every licensed volume of FS or else. :nignog:

I'll buy two of each and lament my lack of tiny Kosuzu figurine.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I have no experience with Yen Press, what are their translations like?

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~

Clarste posted:

They're meant for controllers.

Keyboards (or something similar like a Hitbox) are about as objectively superior for shmups as m+kb is for a FPS.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

a cartoon duck posted:

I bet they're conspiring with ZUN to disguise the mima conspiracy so that only true believers will see the true FS plot twist

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

The only yen press thing I have is Spice and Wolf, and the translation for that is good. However that series is pretty western themed, so I have no idea how something like touhou is handled by them

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Golden Battler posted:

Keyboards (or something similar like a Hitbox) are about as objectively superior for shmups as m+kb is for a FPS.

Some people just don't have the dexterity.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~

Sea Sponge Run posted:

Some people just don't have the dexterity.

There's no accounting for personal preference, of course.

CIRNO THE BEST
May 28, 2017

by zen death robot

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

/\/\ I've found my fave new acct for 2017

CIRNO THE BEST
May 28, 2017

by zen death robot

Namtab posted:

me irl

CIRNO THE BEST
May 28, 2017

by zen death robot

Namtab posted:

ur name spelled backwards is batman

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Namtab posted:

Rip

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The brightest flame burns for the shortest time

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

does this mean all things that are namtab's faves are gonna suddenly die now

i don't think i'm ready to see reimu die

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I think it's just going to be posters I like, like my friends blitz blast, a cartoon duck, and the wildest rear end

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Whew, glad I escape unscathed.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-Fi6bV42uI

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Every time someone starts telling me about how the moon landings are fake instead of arguing now I just space off and this video plays in my head.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

I guess with FS getting an official translation, it's as good a time as any for me to start reading the mangas. What else is there aside from FS that is official, and in what order should I read them? Where should I start? Are there official works besides manga and games?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Symbolic Butt posted:

Every time someone starts telling me about how the moon landings are fake instead of arguing now I just space off and this video plays in my head.

How often do people tell you that?

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

CuddlyZombie posted:

I guess with FS getting an official translation, it's as good a time as any for me to start reading the mangas. What else is there aside from FS that is official, and in what order should I read them? Where should I start? Are there official works besides manga and games?

First, yes, aside from manga and games, you've also got art books, like Grimoire of Marisa (which has Marisa's notes on some of the significant youkai and their spellcards) and Perfect Memento in Strict Sense. There's also music CDs, which have new original music not heard in the games, and different kinds of music than what would normally strictly fit a shmup or fighting game (i.e. - slower and more dramatic tracks). Perhaps more importantly, the liner notes that come with these CDs also contain the ongoing story of Renko and Maribel.

I think you can find a complete listing of these works along with translations of their text materials on the English wiki (https://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Touhou_Wiki).

Manga wise, there's been a bunch too. The other big commercial manga running concurrently with Forbidden Scrollery is Wild and Horned Hermit. There have been maybe four separate series dealing with the three fairies, including the currently ongoing Visionary Fairies in Shrine, which also includes Clownpiece, proving that ZUN really really gets his fans. There are I think three series dealing with the moon people. Probably lots of other stuff I'm forgetting. I think it's all on that wiki.

Yup, pretty much no matter how much Touhou you wanted in your life, there's enough out there to satisfy you, even without touching the inconceivable mountain that is fan works. As for where to start, I guess it depends on whether you want a more serious story or something sillier. Personally, my favorites are the silly three fairies stories, so I'd start there if you just want more Touhou in your life right now. If what you want is a deeper understanding of the world of Gensokyo and its inhabitants, then one of the official books like Perfect Memento in Strict Sense is good. There's no particular order any of it has to be read in IMO though.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Namtab posted:

How often do people tell you that?

*sigh* about once a month

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

a cartoon duck posted:

It is a gigantic mixed bag because Yen Press hires ton of people with different opinions on translating. Generally they try to localize (no honorifics, rewriting jokes, etc) but how well this works out depends on how Japanese the series is. You'll see people point to the first three volumes of No Game No Life as YP's lowest point, but they've gotten better since then. Overall, I'd say they're okay: the english is definitely better than most fan translations (not that that's a high bar to clear) but they follow a strict publication schedule so they take years to catch up to where the fan translations were.

FS is an intensely Japanese series though, so unless they break tradition and bust out a glossary or a ton of translator notes I can't see it doing that well. Like, who is going to know *insert random japanese yokai* off the top of their heads?

EDIT: Their paper quality tends to not be very hot if you're into physical releases though.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 03:46 on May 30, 2017

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

BlitzBlast posted:

but they follow a strict publication schedule so they take years to catch up to where the fan translations were.

Forbidden Scrollery only has 6 volumes so far though, soon to be 7, so they'll catch up in less than 2 years if they publish on the schedule they've shown.

Leviathean
Oct 22, 2012

?
Man, Double Focus has some cute enemies, probably the most adorable ones I've seen in a platformer. They try so hard! :kimchi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0r6YkBqHyos

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

ZUN's imperishable night art is still loving fantastic

like, wow

champion

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

I can't believe I missed Reimu putting Remilia in a chokehold the first time I played through EoSD. Touhou just keeps getting better and better the more I experience it.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Namtab posted:

Blasphemy!

I use a fightstick

It's a shooter

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

there is a lot... and I mean a LOT... of fanart of Remilia and Satori

I've also listened to at least two pieces of music that blended their two themes

but, canonically, I don't think they've had any reasonable direct interaction though

I guess it's like peanut butter and jelly - two great tastes that only a madman would think to combine, but they're so good together

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

el dorito posted:

there is a lot... and I mean a LOT... of fanart of Remilia and Satori

I've also listened to at least two pieces of music that blended their two themes

but, canonically, I don't think they've had any reasonable direct interaction though

I guess it's like peanut butter and jelly - two great tastes that only a madman would think to combine, but they're so good together

There's also Flandre and Koishi. They at least make sense in the "younger estranged sister who's more powerful than the elder and has poor social skills."

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Nendoroid Tan Cirno

http://mikatan.goodsmile.info/en/2017/06/05/nendoroid-suntanned-cirno-touhou-project/

It's exactly the same as the non-tan Cirno from 6 years ago so if you have that one I guess don't bother?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

But the tan tho

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I'm sure clever folks will be able to tan Cirno on their own.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

She's barely even tanned, what a rip-off.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

wanna get this and have her fight my overwatch mei preorder

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Someone summon me when the reimu one comes out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Namtab posted:

Someone summon me when the reimu one comes out

Is the easiest way to do so to say Mima isn't coming back?