Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I'm in the process of laying out lighting in my house and there's a tricky hallway I need to deal with. It's at the main entrance and staircase notwithstanding is vaulted ground floor to roof rafters, around 7m at its highest point.

It'll have a large skylight in the door-side roof, but I'm wondering how to deal with lighting after dark.

Should I not bother and just focus on floor-level lighting the staircase and downstairs hallway, or is there some clever or nice-lookin' thing I could put in? or just shove a couple of spots up there and be done with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Arachnamus posted:

Was reminded of this when I came across a loft conversion photo:

Somebody at least thinks it's a good idea.

You'd think they'd make it so you're not looking into what appears to be the gap between inner and outer walls/roof when you look out this sort of window.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Baronjutter posted:

Counter-top heights are an actual building code issue in some places. An architect teacher of mine was telling me about a situation where a dwarf wanted a custom kitchen made with like 2' counters so he could use them. It was his house that he fully owned, but the city wouldn't issue the permit, saying that the counters were too low and this was outside the range for accessibility. They actually used accessibility codes to gently caress with a little-person trying to build an accessible kitchen. The city wouldn't budge.

What they ended up doing was building the kitchen to code but having all the cabinet doors stop about 1' short of the floor, then build a sub-floor up all around. So the guy has to walk up a couple steps to get into his kitchen but at least he can use it. The cabinets will look like poo poo if the platform is ever removed so who ever buys the house will have to remodel the kitchen either way. The whole sticking to the code thing was "well what about the next person who buys the house?? I won't be accessible for them! What' if it's an old lady who can't bend down??"

I don't know how permits work where you are, but it sounds to me like the solution is to remodel two rooms at once: the kitchen, and some other room. Have a permit for the latter as a cover for the construction noise of the former. It won't be a problem until he sells.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Arachnamus posted:

It's at the main entrance and staircase notwithstanding is vaulted ground floor to roof rafters, around 7m at its highest point.

We have this in our stairwell (catalog photo). It's bright and elegant without being ridiculous.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

For those who love generally interesting-looking houses House Hunting is the best tumblr.

She always finds these incredible MCM time-capsule houses for sale

They're always super cheap and probably get "renovated" into boring HGTV clones shortly after

But my favorite is THIS HOUSE

(selling for $215,000 btw, if I could stand living in Arizona I'd totally buy it)

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
And now you see why I like grayscale

(I don't hate the Serape of Many Colors house, it's definitely considered, I would just lose my mind on like day 2 in it.)

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

I really like this ceiling, even though I know it'll make the room look dark all the time. The workmanship on that couch and coffee table also looks great. Everything else has gotta go.

I wonder why they left the shades closed for the picture.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Why couldn't they make the tile area flush with the carpeted area? Why have a 2" tripping hazard?

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Baronjutter posted:

Why couldn't they make the tile area flush with the carpeted area? Why have a 2" tripping hazard?

negative energy can't flow over trip hazards

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I don't hate this. Apart from the dumb threshold which I would trip over all the time, I like the contrast between the rooms.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

I'm going through this myself at the moment. Issues in one are of the house can have knock-on effects in others when it comes to floor level. A leftover foundation slab that's 2" too high can be very difficult to trim back, leading to "we'll have to raise the floor in here, you'll have small steps down to the other rooms". If the owner didn't push back or didn't care maybe that's what they got.

Or maybe they wanted visual distinction and didn't think it through.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Baronjutter posted:

Arachnamus posted:

I'm going through this myself at the moment. Issues in one are of the house can have knock-on effects in others when it comes to floor level. A leftover foundation slab that's 2" too high can be very difficult to trim back, leading to "we'll have to raise the floor in here, you'll have small steps down to the other rooms". If the owner didn't push back or didn't care maybe that's what they got.

Or maybe they wanted visual distinction and didn't think it through.

Ah! You want a tripping hazard? Allow me to introduce you to the midcentury concept known as the "conversation pit."

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

House Hunting also found what may be the ugliest house ever, in Iceland of all places

"Scandinavian design" developed as a reaction to this house

And they're trying to sell it for the equivalent of $1.8million US.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Scandinavia is still really loving into small-print wallpaper, apparently. There was a Finnish(?) goon building his own house awhile back, and that was like the one element everyone hated but he insisted on, saying it was normal there.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Eh, the current interior trend in Sweden is white. White everywhere. As bright as possible.

Maybe with something like a single black pillow or a grayscale piece of art on the wall for accent. If you have more than two contrasting items you're an interior design rebel.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Question: Does anyone actually put chairs in their bathrooms, or is that some weird staged-for-pictures-only thing?

I ask because it seems bizarrely common:

I'm struggling to think of what the purpose is other than having another thing to stub your toe on/clean every week/generally get in the way. The best I could find is that it's 'breaking down the boundaries between rooms', but that's completely batshit. Who wants to spend more time in a bathroom than they absolutely have to?

Bonus hideous wallpaper I found along the way:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Collateral Damage posted:

... Apart from the dumb threshold which I would trip over all the time, I like the contrast between the rooms.

I can't tell if y'all are joking. I go through 2+ liters of liquor a week. I'm drunk all the drat time yet I can't imagine tripping over a tiny threshold like that, especially given how the colors contrast.

The bigger issue is that it looks dumb. It's not a big enough elevation difference to really separate the spaces, at least not more than the color difference. It's juuust big enough to murder the elderly, and that's all it's good for.

Honestly it feels like the architect wanted steps, and the builders just wanted a flat floor, and they ended up at a compromise where everybody loses. Or slab issues, as others said.

I still kinda like the decor though.

Haifisch posted:

Question: Does anyone actually put chairs in their bathrooms, or is that some weird staged-for-pictures-only thing?

I agree, it's weird. But there's so much weird poo poo going on in those pictures I keep getting distracted. Why is there a moss wall? Why does that one bathroom have a sputnick chandelier? They feel like some alien was given the pieces and made them into rooms not knowing what the room was for. It honestly feels pretty cargo culty.

Edit: wait, is that a loving fireplace?! :wtc:

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 00:26 on May 30, 2017

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I am Very Glad I don't have to clean around all those stand-alone tubs. Fireplace but no standing shower lmao.

The chairs are to fill empty space and a classy place to throw your clothes.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Haifisch posted:

My bathroom is barely big enough for the standard fixtures you'd expect to find in a bathroom. No way in hell do I have room for a chair.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I can't tell if y'all are joking.
I'm all big toes. :shobon:

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

This one is extremely creepy. I can just imagine the man sitting in it, leaning forward and steepling his fingers as he instructs the lady in the bathtub.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Collateral Damage posted:

I'm all big toes. :shobon:

I'm jealous. Your toenails must be very sturdy.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

It's me, I am the terrible person who likes the Arizona colorful fiesta house, AND the Reykjavik grandparents house. It's just so loving grandparent-y and comforting. I'd stay in it on vacation, but maybe not live in it for a long period of time.

Chairs in bathrooms make some sense when you don't want o put clean clothes on a filled towel rack or wet, dirty countertop. That's all though. I don't imagine many would have the room for a chair in a small bathroom, so a smaller clotheshorse makes more sense.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Orange plastic . . . headrests? Whaaaa?

No soap dish though. your soap has to sit on a plate on the floor.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

is that soap or a bottle of moonshine and a whole brick of deep-fried scrapple?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

I wonder what they used for the off-camera light source to the upper left

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I guess I'll defend the bathroom chair. The designs featuring one are evoking a spa setting. These are bathrooms you do linger in, and do more than just shower and brush your teeth. The chair is meant for doing beauty treatments that take a little time, like a facial masque.

Also so your sugar daddy can stare intently at you while you bathe in moonshine and scrapple, I guess.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I can't tell if y'all are joking. I go through 2+ liters of liquor a week. I'm drunk all the drat time yet I can't imagine tripping over a tiny threshold like that, especially given how the colors contrast.

The bigger issue is that it looks dumb. It's not a big enough elevation difference to really separate the spaces, at least not more than the color difference. It's juuust big enough to murder the elderly, and that's all it's good for.

Honestly it feels like the architect wanted steps, and the builders just wanted a flat floor, and they ended up at a compromise where everybody loses. Or slab issues, as others said.

I still kinda like the decor though.

I agree, it's weird. But there's so much weird poo poo going on in those pictures I keep getting distracted. Why is there a moss wall? Why does that one bathroom have a sputnick chandelier? They feel like some alien was given the pieces and made them into rooms not knowing what the room was for. It honestly feels pretty cargo culty.

Edit: wait, is that a loving fireplace?! :wtc:

Hold my beer and watch this:

This is either what someone thought of as a really baller bathroom or the worst one room apartment.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I also think that for a regular person who'd use that space, you'd possibly have some sort of storage where the chair would be. Or a storage chair. Since they look messy, just chair.

I'd totally use a chair in the bathroom for dealing with leg/feet grooming but I'm still in the 700sqft apartment part of my life.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

moonshine and scrapple

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

Bathrooms by Lego?

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I have some kind of stomach bug and I'm addicted to the house hunting blog. :rip:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

While having a soak in the tub last night I figured out what the bathroom chairs are for: cats.

One of mine spent at least 20 minutes of perching on top of the garbage can staring at me intently, and she probably would have enjoyed a nice comfy chair instead. Unfortunately there is no room for a chair in my bathroom unless I replace the garbage can with a bar stool. But if you're going to have a hundred square feet of bathroom space you might as well have a cat chair in there too.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
So what you're saying is that if I make overpriced chairs patterned with fish skeletons and paw prints, I can make millions selling them to overindulgent cat people(whose cats will then refuse to use the chairs).

Facebook Aunt posted:

But if you're going to have a hundred square feet of bathroom space you might as well have a cat chair in there too.
More seriously, I don't get why you'd want to waste that much space on a bathroom in the first place, but I guess you can't make McMansions without oversizing every room in the house.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Okay, after thread discussion, I can sort of understand a bathroom chair, but... is that a bathroom window seat? With a built-in cloth-covered cushion to catch every splash and stain? Between that and the goddamn fireplace, did that space even begin life as a bathroom?

quote:

Is the middle orange bit supposed to be a magazine rack, of all the goddamn things? "Yes, this luxury lounging tub will definitely need a magazine rack for all your favorite vintage Newsweeks. The toiletries can be left to the valet seated nearby. You will have a chair for the valet, won't you? It's considered gauche to let them sit on the floor these days."

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Say it with me: "Spa-Like Retreat." Everybody wants a spa-like retreat, in their master suite. Who'd have just a bathroom? Plebes, that's who.

They also want a gourmet professional-style kitchen in which to warm up their take-out, which will be the heart of an open concept layout with good flow for entertaining.

I suppose it's better than my last apartment's bathroom, which was essentially set up as a hallway. It was bigger than the kitchen and almost as big as the living room.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Tricky Ed posted:

I suppose it's better than my last apartment's bathroom, which was essentially set up as a hallway. It was bigger than the kitchen and almost as big as the living room.

Switch the toilet and sink, and add a little more sink/countertop space, and this is our apartment bathroom. I like it fine, but it's kind of comically large, and I think may also be bigger than our kitchen.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Haifisch posted:

I'm struggling to think of what the purpose is other than having another thing to stub your toe on/clean every week/generally get in the way. The best I could find is that it's 'breaking down the boundaries between rooms', but that's completely batshit. Who wants to spend more time in a bathroom than they absolutely have to?

Bonus hideous wallpaper I found along the way:

My retired friend has a large black leather lounge chair in her master bathroom. She has it there more as a joke than anything, so much so that for Christmas a few years ago we bought and installed a disco ball over the toilet in the same bathroom.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Antivehicular posted:

Okay, after thread discussion, I can sort of understand a bathroom chair, but... is that a bathroom window seat? With a built-in cloth-covered cushion to catch every splash and stain? Between that and the goddamn fireplace, did that space even begin life as a bathroom?

It could be an older house that was remodeled. Old houses often have just 1 or 1.5 bathrooms. They could have cannibalized one of the bedrooms to make an en suite bathroom and walk in closet for the master suite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I need a ~5x7 rug that works with this and a Geek Chic Envoy Coffee Table. (Nothing else out-of-frame that would influence the decision, the room is pretty bare).

I like this FLOR rug but I'm not sure about piecewise rugs. I like that it's simple, geometric, and asymmetrical.