Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

vodkat posted:

despite what this tread would have you think, the graun is the most consistently labour endorsing paper in the uk, and will do so almost unthinkingly.

I think the sentiment from this thread is because the graun is the paper mostly invested in the labour party and is mostly read and bought by labour voters. As a result its the venue of choice for internal labour battles, slights, slander and schoolyard politicking, which have been relentlessness during corbyns reign and for some reason posters in this tread have mistaken this for hating everything the labour party stands for.

You're actually not quite right.

The Mirror is the most consistent of all UK newspapers in endorsing labour. The graun, originally founded by Manchester mill owners, has always been a bourgeois liberal reformist paper. Its editors since its inception have historically had a pretty virulent loathing for the left wing of the British labour movement, nursing an acrimonious grudge against Aneurin Bevan, suggesting Clem Attlee's government should be voted out and backing the SDP Liberal alliance in the 1983 election.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The graun is a beautiful expression of quintessential liberalism, all talk, never there when it matters.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

My favourite bit of Graun shame is their opposition to the establishment of the NHS on the grounds that it would impede natural selection and leave us mired in feckless, indolent proletarians that lack the good grace to die of black lung, tuberculosis or cholera like they're supposed to.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Acaila posted:

The fact that you can even ask this and clearly not consider trains, monster munch, plugs, Corbyn memes, trying to pin down Pissy on anything and telling racist poo poo heads to gently caress off shows just how out of touch you are what the UKMT.

A significant number of the things you listed are either tweets or sniping at people though.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Baron Corbyn posted:

Pissflaps would be correct.

Ya I don't really see how its controversial. The brexit was a vote to get 'foreigners out' or as they said in german 'auslander raus.'

It is transparently racist.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
https://www.ft.com/content/4ebc8f1e-43c0-11e7-8d27-59b4dd6296b8

quote:

Polls, including YouGov, that show narrower Conservative leads are those that assign probabilities of voting based wholly or primarily on a respondent’s self-reported likelihood of casting a ballot, meaning that young people make up a far bigger proportion of the likely vote than they have historically.

Those showing wider Conservative leads, such as ComRes and ICM, model turnout based on historical figures for demographic groups. This would have improved accuracy in most previous elections, but risks coming unstuck if behaviour changes markedly
This is what we'd been assuming, I think, but nice to see it confirmed.

Maybe this time... this time will be different :downs:

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

How so you think the person that made the call to ignore this is sleeping. Pretty much every red flag possible was raised with this guy.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
A fresh scandal rocks the Labour General Election campaign this morning, as we can exclusively reveal that Jeremy Corbyn once entered a cemetery where a terrorist was buried.

Can this man be trusted to defend Britain?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Oberleutnant posted:

A fresh scandal rocks the Labour General Election campaign this morning, as we can exclusively reveal that Jeremy Corbyn once entered a cemetery where a terrorist was buried.

Can this man be trusted to defend Britain?

Guido Fawkes did nothing wrong

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Oberleutnant posted:

That's not the accusation though is it.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEurbctyZCg

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

TomViolence posted:

My favourite bit of Graun shame is their opposition to the establishment of the NHS on the grounds that it would impede natural selection and leave us mired in feckless, indolent proletarians that lack the good grace to die of black lung, tuberculosis or cholera like they're supposed to.

The NHS is the reason for all the olds.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Zephro posted:

Isn't it the case that polls have generally always used a persons claimed likeleyhood if voting as the weighting until now and some have just hanged it after the 2015 polls being wrong? Perhaps 2015 was an aberration rather than the new norm.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Pissflaps posted:

That's not the accusation though is it.

I'm impressed you think this means literally anything.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Noxville posted:

Isn't it the case that polls have generally always used a persons claimed likeleyhood if voting as the weighting until now and some have just hanged it after the 2015 polls being wrong? Perhaps 2015 was an aberration rather than the new norm.

Lots of factors - claimed likelihood, voting record, age, economic bracket, length of.time at address etc. - will be part of all firms models. They make minor tweaks to them constantly but rarely major changes as it breaks continuity. You are no longer comparing like with like in terms of your own numbers.

There has been a general feeling that classic models weren't doing the business for a while. Yougov were still doing things like weighting by what newspaper respondents read but struggling to find enough readers of many papers to meet their quota. Then there was 2015 which was such a mess for some big firms that they have been forced to reassess. The indy ref was also bad for some.

Rather than an outlier therefore, 2015 was more the latest stage in a progression. However that doesn't mean firms necessarily have their models right now. Some smaller and newer firms did well in 2015. It will be very interesting to see who comes out on top.

Zalakwe fucked around with this message at 10:03 on May 29, 2017

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Tesseraction posted:

I like how your go-to proof of not being racist is voting to Remain given that totally-not-racist former BNP leader Nick Griffin voted to Remain in order to promote white flight.

Be honest 'flaps did you vote Remain in order to precipitate white flight like the rest of your racist brethren?

Good lord you've been on a roll the past few days.

Jippa posted:

How so you think the person that made the call to ignore this is sleeping. Pretty much every red flag possible was raised with this guy.

I think the person that was supposed to make the call was made redundant a few months ago.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6up8jhru1fc

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Why does he keep calling it ramadam?

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life
Public trusts Labour more than Conservatives to protect pensioners, poll says

quote:

Almost twice as many people trust Labour more than the Conservatives to protect the interests of pensioners, according to an exclusive poll for The Independent.

The finding is a huge setback for Theresa May and will add to the jitters in the Tory camp after Labour closed the gap in the polls. It suggests a backlash against her plans to reform social care funding, end winter fuel allowances for better-off pensioners and scrap the “triple lock” under which the state pension rises by at least 2.5 per cent a year.

ORB found that only one in four people (24 per cent) name the Tories as the party they trust most to protect pensioners’ interests, while 44 per cent choose Labour and 6 per cent the Liberal Democrats. A month earlier, a survey gave Labour a tiny three-point lead when people were asked who had the best policy on pensions.

The ORB poll was taken after Ms May’s dramatic U-turn over the Tory manifesto plan for people with assets of more than £100,000 to fund more of their own care – dubbed the “dementia tax”. It suggests that, despite her pledge to cap the amount an individual spends on care, she has not yet convinced people about her claim that the Tories will best defend pensioners’ interests.

Six in 10 Tory voters in 2015 (60 per cent) believe the party will best defend pensioners, while 81 per cent of Labour voters at the last election say Labour would.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

This thread has been actively really bad lately, even by our own standards of embarrassing slap fights & inability to just ignore shitposters.

Anyway, so this tweet isn't just me moaning about posting, have a tweet too!

https://twitter.com/DMReporter/status/869118327968419840

Who could have guessed our press had been so negative towards Labour?

In other news, a Guardian story about kids having to hoover their own classrooms because it can't afford to hire a new cleaner. Starve The Beast is really working, it's going to be bad when the Tories win

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 10:18 on May 29, 2017

Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012

hakimashou posted:

Ya I don't really see how its controversial. The brexit was a vote to get 'foreigners out' or as they said in german 'auslander raus.'

It is transparently racist.

EU immigration policy where we accept people from our mostly white European neighbours while simultaneously refusing those from Africa/Asia ect is actually transparently racist.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Benjamin Arthur posted:

EU immigration policy where we accept people from our mostly white European neighbours while simultaneously refusing those from Africa/Asia ect is actually transparently racist.

The BNP actually used this argument against UKIP. UKIP were against European immigration, whereas the BNP were against ALL immigration, and therefore weren't racist.

Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The BNP actually used this argument against UKIP. UKIP were against European immigration, whereas the BNP were against ALL immigration, and therefore weren't racist.

I don't give a wank about a slap fight between two quasi fascist groups. EU immigration policy is quite clearly inherently racist.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Why does he keep calling it ramadam?

woah Black Betty, ramadam

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Benjamin Arthur posted:

What's that got to do wth the brexit though?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Like ramadamadingdong, or give peace a chance.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

This certainly is bad for Corbyn
http://southendnewsnetwork.com/news/shame-for-corbyn-as-source-confirms-labour-leader-had-curry-with-skeletor-in-1991/

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Benjamin Arthur posted:

I don't give a wank about a slap fight between two quasi fascist groups. EU immigration policy is quite clearly inherently racist.

Yes, and? Both the EU immigration policy and the Brexit obsession with immigration control are racist. I fail to see what's the issue here.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Here's a Mark Blyth zinger:
https://twitter.com/MkBlyth/status/868259220516458496

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Zephro posted:

Didn't Yougov do a bunch of stuff that would have skewed their last set of polls into having the correct result though?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

hakimashou posted:

It'd explain the attitude towards Brexit in parts of the African press. Indian press seemed split on the issue.
That and the UK having to write trade deals without a pedestal for the first time in a couple centuries.

serious gaylord posted:

Good lord you've been on a roll the past few days.
Actually they're called cobs.

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008
A friend of mine voted leave because he was pissed off at the cost and process he had to go through for his US girlfriend to live here, so it was basically a vote in spite so that EU immigrants have to go through the same thing.

Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012

hakimashou posted:

Not much really but the line of thinking that all leave voters are racist or thick is just intellectually lazy and it's something that's quite common in this thread.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Guavanaut posted:

Actually they're called cobs.

What have you done.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

and yet pensioners will massively vote tories, makes u think

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Could this actually happen?

http://ind.pn/2rbzUgU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jakabite posted:

Could this actually happen?

http://ind.pn/2rbzUgU

How would relaunching not just make them look more terrible?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
The fear could happen, sure.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Steve2911 posted:

It may well do that, but everyone else has relaunched since Manchester, so them not doing it would seem a bit weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life

Steve2911 posted:

• Locked thread