Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Cartoon Man posted:

Arms looks really good for those who enjoy fighting games. I do not, so I will pass for now unless it has a really good single player mode with fun AI.

It's about as much a fighting game as some kind of mobile exo suit 2 player death match. It is and it isn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

you can start in any fighting game just knowing a 2-3 button combo that leads to a knock down and then guessing what they are going to do when they get up. like even in guilty gear with 15 hit combos on the regular you can just choose a character with a lot of life and high damage output and still beat your friends 2-3 hits at a time if you are just outplaying them. then as you get comfortable you build from there until you are good. its like anything else. its called depth and it feels good to grow instead of being scared.

Yeah but you still need to at some point start memorizing combos and that's not fun to a lot of people

Racing games have a lot of depth and have room to grow and I don't play them because I don't like racing games

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Real hurthling! posted:

every online game from EA, Activision, and Ubi get a free beta weekend nowadays

He's complaining its not a demo instead of a beta weekend, so that's not really much different. Still screwed if you're out of town that weekend.

But having it open the whole weekend instead of just a couple 1-hour windows would be a slight step up I guess.

Very very few people do actual demos these days. Nintendo 3DS is the only platform I can think of that has demos in 2017. Oh, and PSVR.

Steam has a few demos but most games on steam don't have them.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

enojy posted:

Is Platinum God even possible? At least on my save, challenge #11 is still locked due to a bug.

I would assume so, I've left the majority of the challenges uncompleted so I could 'cheat' the system a bit by only unlocking certain runes, etc.

Platinum God is def possible

I'll let you know if Real Platinum God is obtainable after I finish the Greedier Mode with all the characters :v:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Zaphod42 posted:

Nintendo 3DS is the only platform I can think of that has demos in 2017.

what the gently caress are u talking about

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Stux posted:

To be fair, Sony goes out of their way to hide them in their store UI.

Actual demos, not "Betas", or "Alphas"... like the release of Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare. :rimshot:

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I only play sigma test of games.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Stux posted:

I don't waste valuable brain effort thinking about non Nintendo consoles either

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Watching fighting game sperge lords defend their precious niche genre is adorable.

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president

Real hurthling! posted:

you can start in any fighting game just knowing a 2-3 button combo that leads to a knock down and then guessing what they are going to do when they get up. like even in guilty gear with 15 hit combos on the regular you can just choose a character with a lot of life and high damage output and still beat your friends 2-3 hits at a time if you are just outplaying them. then as you get comfortable you build from there until you are good. its like anything else. its called depth and it feels good to grow instead of being scared.

no

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

help me out switch people

should I buy ARMS, or Injustice 2 for my Xbox One? I essentially can't use online (unless I were to take my Switch elsewhere which I can't do with my Xbox) because my internet sucks a real gently caress, so I'd basically be playing single player. I really like fighting games and I know I like Netherrealm games for sure, and the gear stuff in IJ2 looks like a lot of fun, but also I like Nintendo games.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

DC Murderverse posted:

should I buy ARMS, or Injustice 2 for my Xbox One? I essentially can't use online (unless I were to take my Switch elsewhere which I can't do with my Xbox) because my internet sucks a real gently caress, so I'd basically be playing single player. I really like fighting games and I know I like Netherrealm games for sure, and the gear stuff in IJ2 looks like a lot of fun, but also I like Nintendo games.

You don't have internet for your switch or your xbox?

In that case I'd say get Injustice 2, even as a big ARMS fan.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

DC Murderverse posted:

Injustice has a really good story mode but I don't find it fun to play. We don't really know about Arms single player content yet but it definitely won't be as robust as Injustice so go for that.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
usf2 is overpriced and the controls aren't great in handheld mode (you're basically stuck playing shotos and 360 characters like zangief) but like everything else, it owns being able to get in some online games while i'm watching some loving horrible home and garden tv poo poo with my fiancee and being able to play arcade mode on the train

everything is better on switch basically. they should make a fighter edition left joycon with a good d-pad

those are my feelings on usf2 thank you

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Holding down back on the separated D-Pad buttons seems like it could be rough, much less doing any charge super. I haven't tried it myself though.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Mister Facetious posted:

To be fair, Sony goes out of their way to hide them in their store UI.

Actual demos, not "Betas", or "Alphas"... like the release of Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare. :rimshot:

theyre clearly displayed on the eu store at least

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005
Crosspost from the ARMs thread:

Play Warm-up mode outside of testpunch hours.

You can do it if you beat the tutorial level during a test punch. Go to your network settings, turn on "Proxy" and set some random number. When you try to join a lobby, it'll stall out for a couple minutes and you can play in the warmup. When you get an error, just retry and play again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqD-poT7d1w

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Kirios posted:

Watching fighting game sperge lords defend their precious niche genre is adorable.

Every genre is niche, except like, roguelike gachapon dance MMOs.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Are waifu collectathons niche?

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

USF2 is averaging 67% on metacritic which sounds about right. I'll wait for it to come down in price before I get it.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
The Splatoon2 and ARMS demo things couldn't be live all the time and require 1 hour slices because otherwise you'd have a hard time finding other people. It's for the community to align itself on high traffic hours.

It's less if a problem with the full games because there's more stuff there to keep interest. The demoes are bare bones.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Gimbal lock posted:

The Splatoon2 and ARMS demo things couldn't be live all the time and require 1 hour slices because otherwise you'd have a hard time finding other people. It's for the community to align itself on high traffic hours.

It's less if a problem with the full games because there's more stuff there to keep interest. The demoes are bare bones.

this is nonsense

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Kaewan posted:

Quick question for Japan goons. Do the physical carts support multi language? I know you can change the language setting on the switch to English. What about Portuguese?

I'm in Japan and gonna be flying back to Brazil soon. Being able to play Mario Kart, BotW and such with my non-multilingual family/ friends would be fabulous. I wouldn't buy one in Brazil because they will never be lower than $600 USD there.
Doug Dinsdale already responded, but one thing to consider is that the console is completely Region Free, so if you buy a Switch in Japan you can play game cards from anywhere (North America, Europe or Brazil) on it. You can also buy digital games from any region simply by creating a Nintendo Account from that region and logging into the eShop with that account (note that you may need to get eShop codes online if the eShop doesn't accept your payment card).

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Is arms a fighting game?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

ethanol posted:

Is arms a fighting game?

Nintendo says it's a "physical conflict game".

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I think that the root of "this game isn't a fighting game" arguments is that "fighting game" is a bad and non-descriptive name for what a lot of people to consider a pretty specifically defined genre. It needs to have a contrived name along the lines of "castleroid" or "shmup" that people use to make sure we don't mix up Doom II with DonPachi by calling them shooters.

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva
ARMS is a sports entertainment game

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Infinitum posted:

I would assume so, I've left the majority of the challenges uncompleted so I could 'cheat' the system a bit by only unlocking certain runes, etc.

Platinum God is def possible

I'll let you know if Real Platinum God is obtainable after I finish the Greedier Mode with all the characters :v:

Ahh OK, I thought Platinum God was basically "do absolutely everything." All I have left, AFAIK, is a few completion marks with The Lost and Keeper, and a few of the bullshit challenges I have no intention of ever doing (Speed, Ultra Hard, Brains.)

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Stux posted:

this is nonsense

You're nonsense.

If it wasn't in one hour blocks it would be a far shittier stress test on the networks and less of a community event.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The Bloop posted:

You're nonsense.

If it wasn't in one hour blocks it would be a far shittier stress test on the networks and less of a community event.

Every other company does the opposite of nintendo and its fine

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
I worked on a game that was competitive, multiplayer-only, and it too relied entirely on its community to stay alive; We had to do exactly the same thing. You don't know how many people you'll attract for your demo, and you certainly don't know if there's enough in there to keep them interested enough in your barebones product until the full thing comes out. If people aren't playing the demo, you get people trying it out and getting empty lobbies. The game looks dead on arrival and people don't buy the final game.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Real hurthling! posted:

Every other company does the opposite of nintendo and its fine

Nah, I've seen other devs do it. Gundam Versus has the same deal going on in Japan rn.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
every other large company does full weekends etc and it works fine theres literally no reason why a First Party Nintendo Game of all things wouldnt either

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Motto posted:

Nah, I've seen other devs do it. Gundam Versus has the same deal going on in Japan rn.

If gundam versus jumped off a bridge...

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Gimbal lock posted:

I worked on a game that was competitive, multiplayer-only, and it too relied entirely on its community to stay alive;

yeah another game like this called overwatch did multiple full weekends inc a cleverly placed one which overlapped a competitors actual release and as we all know it died instantly and no one bought it

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

This is an entirely dumb argument, even for this thread.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Metroid's not gonna be at e3 just sayin

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Jonas Albrecht posted:

new FZERO tho

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

irlZaphod posted:

This is an entirely dumb argument, even for this thread.

dontquotestux.txt

Jonas Albrecht posted:

The first step on the road of disappointment is hope. You are a wise man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005
If metroid is not at e3 I'll eat a pizza. If it is there I won't eat pizza during e3 week. You can Toxx me on that. I don't give a gently caress.

• Locked thread