Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Star Man posted:

Then what's an example of a useful cynical, hard-edged response? Is it armed revolution? Is it population control through violence so that whatever the maximum threshold of a sustainable population is can be met? Is it radical change of how we live so that humanity and any other life can get through the impending environmental crisis?

It's making sadbrains posts in a climate change thread on something awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Of course. It's shitposting.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Star Man posted:

Then what's an example of a useful cynical, hard-edged response? Is it armed revolution? Is it population control through violence so that whatever the maximum threshold of a sustainable population is can be met? Is it radical change of how we live so that humanity and any other life can get through the impending environmental crisis?

No, you misunderstand, I just think we should be honest about how we've lost control of the situation and that part of the reason why we lost control was our ever-hopeful optimistic wishful thinking. So, if in the next ten or twenty years the discourse can be dominated by mean but honest dialogue about how we've lost control and how poo poo everything is going to be, hopefully that will prove a useful basis for later decisions and decision makers.

All this bullshit about how we can still right the ship by changing our consumer habits or starting a petition are just more of that brain-damaged hopeful optimism that got us into this problem.

We can't even start to get out of this until we start being honest about how bad it is.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Star Man posted:

Of course. It's shitposting.

The answer is always :justpost:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

TildeATH posted:

No, you misunderstand, I just think we should be honest about how we've lost control of the situation and that part of the reason why we lost control was our ever-hopeful optimistic wishful thinking. So, if in the next ten or twenty years the discourse can be dominated by mean but honest dialogue about how we've lost control and how poo poo everything is going to be, hopefully that will prove a useful basis for later decisions and decision makers.

All this bullshit about how we can still right the ship by changing our consumer habits or starting a petition are just more of that brain-damaged hopeful optimism that got us into this problem.

We can't even start to get out of this until we start being honest about how bad it is.

Okay, I think I understand.

I don't think I realized the extremes that were coming in this century until I began following the thread, but SA is not the place to have arguments on appropriate action in good faith unless the poo poo posting is killed on sight. The honesty that things are now at the point of no return because methane that was encased in ice is now escaping into the atmosphere is speeding up the destruction of the polar ice caps needs to be the focus. Changes are going to come with how we consume no matter what action or inaction is made because it's inevitable because of the emerging crisis. Petitions can be good, but only if they end in results.

I dunno. I swear the biggest reason why things like nuclear power and electrification and efforts to eliminate dependence on fossil fuels is because it's cheaper to get to fossil fuels, takes less time to get them and start using them, and earns money sooner.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

TildeATH posted:

if in the next ten or twenty years the discourse can be dominated by mean but honest dialogue about how we've lost control and how poo poo everything is going to be, hopefully that will prove a useful basis for later decisions and decision makers.

^^This.^^ I remembered you posting about differential impact before so I took a look and this --

TildeATH posted:

Nah, you're not taking into account the actual dramatically low modern population density of the United States, its enormous agricultural potential, the existence of a major underpopulated hyperborea, and its lack of shared borders with major population dense regions.

All that adds up to USA enjoying the climate change world in a way Europe, China, India, Russia, the Middle East, Australia, South America and Sub-Saharan Africa most decidedly do not. Not one of those regions has the same set of attributes, oh and also the USA has a huge powerful military.

It's totally unfair, but its true.

-- is something in particular which I very much would like to see enter into political discourse.

There should be interest now in preparing for a disordered world. I'd even like to see a new term for how we built our civilization around Earth's geography, and that geography is moving away from us. We built on sand.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
Arctic sea ice is, unsurprisingly, falling rapidly.

Antarctic sea ice is also not fully recovered.

Consequently:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
Wow I wonder what September will look like

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Article: Experts: The Great Barrier Reef cannot be saved

quote:

The prognosis comes from the Australian government’s Reef 2050 advisory committee, made up of experts and scientists responsible for managing the reef’s future.

In the more optimistic times of 2015, the committee put out a report on how to best preserve the reef. But now two of the committee’s experts have told the Guardian that the plan is no longer feasible “due to the dramatic impacts of climate change.”

Instead, they recommend that the goal be revised to “maintain the ecological function” of the Great Barrier Reef. [...]

Scientists have now documented four major bleaching episodes along the Great Barrier Reef — 1998, 2002, 2016, and now 2017 — which means that most of the reef has undergone some form of severe bleaching in the past 18 years. (If you want to read more about why recent bleaching events are putting the reef in serious jeopardy, you should check out Brad Plumer’s excellent explainer).

Corals can bounce back from bleaching. But recovery is a slow and uneven process, particularly for coral that are centuries old.

“It takes at least a decade for a full recovery of even the fastest-growing corals, so mass bleaching events 12 months apart offers zero prospect of recovery for reefs that were damaged in 2016,” said James Kerry, one of the researchers at James Cook University’s Australian Research Council Center of Excellence for Coral Reef Studies, in a statement on the most recent findings.

Some good information and visuals in the article. Here's one:

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Evil_Greven posted:

Arctic sea ice is, unsurprisingly, falling rapidly.

Antarctic sea ice is also not fully recovered.

Consequently:

This is such a weird graph given that the arctic has started moving toward the mean throughout late April and May. It looks like Antarctic Sea Ice Extent continues to struggle after the unusual minimum this year. I know that Antarctica has pretty wide variability compared to the Arctic, but I'm starting to wonder if there is some sort of ocean current or other feedback that's starting to cause Antarctic SIE to start deteriorating like Arctic has been.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Article: Climate change could make cities 8C hotter – scientists
Date: May 29, 2017

quote:

Under a dual onslaught of global warming and localised urban heating, some of the world’s cities may be as much as 8C (14.4F) warmer by 2100, researchers have warned.

The top quarter of most populated cities, in this scenario, could see temperatures rise 7C or more by century’s end, said a study in the journal Nature Climate Change.

For some nearly 5C of the total would be attributed to average global warming.

The rest would be due to the so-called “urban heat island” effect, which occurs when parks, dams and lakes, which have a cooling effect, are replaced by concrete and asphalt – making cities warmer than their surrounds, the researchers said.

“The top 5% [of cities by population] could see increases in temperatures of about 8C and larger,” study co-author Francisco Estrada of the Institute for Environmental Studies in the Netherlands said.

The median city, right in the middle of the range, stands to lose between 1.4% and 1.7% of GDP per year by 2050 and between 2.3% and 5.6% by 2100, they conclude.

“For the worst-off city, losses could reach up to 10.9% of GDP by 2100,” wrote the team.

UHI “significantly” increased city temperatures and economic losses from global warming, they added.

This meant that local actions to reduce UHI – such as planting more trees or cooling roofs and pavements – could make a big difference in limiting warming and minimising costs.

Cities cover only about 1% of earth’s surface but produce about 80% of gross world product and account for around 78% of energy consumed worldwide, say the researchers.

They produce more than 60% of global carbon dioxide emissions from burning coal, oil and gas for fuel.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

gently caress yes

the sooner we all die the better

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

also also, 8C is nothing compared to how hot things will get during global thermonuclear war

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I don't live in an urban area so I don't care

PIGS BREXIT
Mar 29, 2017

enraged_camel posted:

also also, 8C is nothing compared to how hot things will get during global thermonuclear war

On average, global thermonuclear war will actually make the planet cooler

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

PIGS BREXIT posted:

On average, global thermonuclear war will actually make the planet cooler

That assumes nuclear winter, which is only a hypothetical scenario!

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
8C? Looking forward to balmy winters. :)

PIGS BREXIT
Mar 29, 2017

enraged_camel posted:

That assumes nuclear winter, which is only a hypothetical scenario!

Although Master Blaster's post-apocalyptic raider truck will probably not be fitted with a catalytic converter and the spikes encrusted with skulls will probably reduce his effective gas mileage, this will be more than offset by the savings of no longer having to run a fleet of lorries to supply your local fast food eateries and coffee shops

Really it's one of the few practical carbon reduction strategies within our reach today

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

This is such a weird graph given that the arctic has started moving toward the mean throughout late April and May. It looks like Antarctic Sea Ice Extent continues to struggle after the unusual minimum this year. I know that Antarctica has pretty wide variability compared to the Arctic, but I'm starting to wonder if there is some sort of ocean current or other feedback that's starting to cause Antarctic SIE to start deteriorating like Arctic has been.

Arctic is 6th lowest in extent, not sure place for area but it's tracking like 2012.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
I love the whole Great Barrier Reef Isn't Dead What Sensationalist Language followed shortly by Oh, Yeah It's Dead.

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

My only regret is that the fuckhead climate deniers will be dead before they can see this.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Holy poo poo, this is one hell of a brutal prediction:

quote:

The median city, right in the middle of the range, stands to lose between 1.4% and 1.7% of GDP per year by 2050 and between 2.3% and 5.6% by 2100, they conclude.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Paradoxish posted:

Holy poo poo, this is one hell of a brutal prediction:

Well what did you all think was going to happen?

Seriously we've known this for twenty years.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Heheeeeey, let's have some more great news

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Maybe next time, don't vote in the orange idiot? Just a suggestion.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
Let's go over to Jill Stein and the crew from TYT to remind us again how Hillary was going to be more dangerous for the country than Trump.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
It's the us system of gerrymandering and two senators per state that mean rural hayseeds have more voting power than cities that's the real problem.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
There's no one real problem.

But the political discourse is going to treat killing millions of people so that some Midwesterners can maaaaybe get manufacturing jobs to improve their self esteem as a reasonable trade, not the second loving coming of Hitler it is.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
From November 9th last year:

Mozi posted:

If Trump withdraws from the Paris treaty there is no amount of organization or movement-tizing that will make up for that. Period.

So now here we are.

Salvage whatever you can.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Fangz posted:

There's no one real problem.

But the political discourse is going to treat killing millions of people so that some Midwesterners can maaaaybe get manufacturing jobs to improve their self esteem as a reasonable trade, not the second loving coming of Hitler it is.

If by manufacturing jobs you mean being a Wal*Mart style greeter* to a couple dozen robots pushing poo poo around for Amazon.

*this is gonna be a cush elite job in about 8 seconds

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

syscall girl posted:

If by manufacturing jobs you mean being a Wal*Mart style greeter* to a couple dozen robots pushing poo poo around for Amazon.

*this is gonna be a cush elite job in about 8 seconds

There are already robotic greeters that are used in airports in Asia.

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
thank god he withdrew from the paris agreement. i remember being so anxious and angry during the COP 21. The future was looking very grim. Trump was the only light at the end of the tunnel, the only glimmer of hope for a planet and its 7 billions inhabitant. He said NO to the unelected corporate banking combine and their carbon taxes (which are a loving DEATH SENTENCE for the third world) and for this he will go down in history as a great savior of mankind. MAGA you whores!!!! yall wanted him to sell your country out but he aint going! :xd::xd::xd:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Nice piece of fish posted:

I'll repeat myself, did anyone expect literally anything else from the day he got voted in?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

smoke sumthin bitch posted:

gently caress you, got mine.

We'll savor the suffering of your descendants, have no fear.

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?

Nice piece of fish posted:

So, when do we invade?

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
what a STUPID motherfucker.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
https://www.businessgreen.com/bg/news/3010973/worlds-first-plant-capturing-co2-from-air-launches-in-switzerland

quote:

The Swiss Direct Air Capture (DAC) plant, developed by ClimeWorks, is now up and running on the roof of a waste recovery site. Powered by waste heat from the facility, it is drawing out carbon dioxide from the atmosphere to be used by a nearby greenhouse run by German salad growers Gebrüder Meier Primanatura AG.

Baby steps.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I still think we need to become religious leaders and turn every Sunday morning in church into a sermon about climate sin.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Honestly not trying to be negative here, but this paragraph is a really good summary of why CCS is so difficult on scales that matter:

quote:

ClimeWorks has set a goal of filtering one per cent of global CO2 emissions by 2025 - to achieve this Gebald said around 250,000 DAC plants like the Zurich operation will be needed. For this to be commercially viable, he admitted a carbon price will be necessary, perhaps from progressive firms looking to market themselves as 'carbon-negative'. "We hope that there will be pioneering companies who support our vision with a private carbon market," he said.

250,000 similar plants to filter 1% of global CO2 emissions, even though right now this single system can't produce carbon at anywhere near market prices. CCS has to operate on absolutely massive scales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broccoli Cat
Mar 8, 2013

"so, am I right in understanding that you're a bigot or aficionado of racist humor?

STAR CITIZEN is for WHITES ONLY!

:lesnick:

smart people posted:

plans to save the world from Capitalism

here's another scientific graph that should help