Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
Is anyone trying to be bitter here or does the bitterness just spill out helplessly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

ToxicSlurpee posted:

"You didn't reply to my text message fast enough!"

My cell phone is for MY convenience. It is not for YOURS. I'll reply when I'm good and damned ready. I might be busy. I might be asleep. I might be making GBS threads. Hell I might be currently looking for my phone because I misplaced it again so I can see if anybody wants my attention.

Aaaaaaaa I complain about this so much in so many threads. My mom does this at least once a day no matter how many times I tell her it's insane and aggravating. "ARE YOU OK YOU DID NOT ANSWER PHONE, YES YOU SAID YOU WORK EVERY DAY AND YOU TOLD ME YOUR HOURS BUT ARE YOU OK?!"

Worst part is I've sort of wanted to do the same to other people because I'm insecure but I have enough self-awareness to not do it because only insane people do it.

ArtIsResistance posted:

Is anyone trying to be bitter here or does the bitterness just spill out helplessly

Have you checked the name of the website you're posting on, or

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Cowslips Warren posted:

Obnoxious thing: having a loving Comicon in late May/June. WTF Phoenix! Who arranges that poo poo, when it's 100* outside and likely close to that inside the buildings with all the body heat? I really would like to go, but the temperature always puts me off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PYt0SDnrBE

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

Master Twig posted:

People who name their children Aiden, or anything that rhymes with it, make me unreasonably angry.

When my brother's girlfriend was pregnant he found a note in her jeans pocket while doing laundry. It was a brainstorming session she'd apparently had for baby names, he presented it to me without comment.

One side had: "EMILY/EMMA?", and the other side had...

MASON
MAYSON
MEYSON
MEISON
MAISON

There is zero chance she was being funny. The kid's name is Emma, thank gently caress.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
The complaint about people being annoyed at non-traditional baby names is really really old, but it honestly is kind of getting ridiculous.

There's nothing wrong with the classics and you don't need to start replacing things with "y" so much. Just pick a normal name. I would have hated my life a lot more if instead of my boring incredibly popular name they spelled it like "Mykehl" or something where you would have to constantly say "my name is ______, spelled like ______".

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

:grovertoot:

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
That's the one where I lost my loving mind, yeah.

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

I'm in a house where I have to cook and all they have is a glass cutting board.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

People complaining about unusual or unusually spelled names is obnoxious and makes me unreasonably angry. They're just names, people! They're almost entirely irrelevant, and having an odd name is not going to negatively influence anyone's life. Get the gently caress over it.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Tiggum posted:

People complaining about unusual or unusually spelled names is obnoxious and makes me unreasonably angry. They're just names, people! They're almost entirely irrelevant, and having an odd name is not going to negatively influence anyone's life. Get the gently caress over it.

I know you don't "get" things like normal people do, but can you not understand that there are people who make fun of people with odd names? Or that it would be annoying/frustrating to have people never spell your name properly?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
The cold shoulder. Usually happens after a "it's fine everything is FINE."

Yobgoblin
Mar 19, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Clapping Larry

Tiggum posted:

What else really grinds your gears?

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Tiggum posted:

Settle down, Stzepyhasnyie.

We can be outraged about what we please, without self-appointed censors/overlords telling us what we can or can't complain about.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sic Semper Goon posted:

We can be outraged about what we please, without self-appointed censors/overlords telling us what we can or can't complain about.

Yes we can, ITT for instance.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

Jerry Cotton posted:

Yes we can, ITT for instance.

Exactly, that being the point of this thread.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Tiggum posted:

I work in a gift shop and have people bitch me out nearly every day because we don't have personalized products that say poo poo like "Imajyn" and "Keighleigh" and "Mykel". Like it's my personal fault they gave their child a stupid-rear end name. And they always say the same thing if they see the traditional spelling "They had Kevvyn and Maddysyn but they spelled it wrong."

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

Picnic Princess posted:

I work in a gift shop and have people bitch me out nearly every day because we don't have personalized products that say poo poo like "Imajyn" and "Keighleigh" and "Mykel". Like it's my personal fault they gave their child a stupid-rear end name. And they always say the same thing if they see the traditional spelling "They had Kevvyn and Maddysyn but they spelled it wrong."

To be fair, it's also your personal and singlehanded fault that it's too hot / raining, your company won't shell out for a credit card reader, the kids won't shut up, there is a line at the checkout and they are on the fast track to the now-standard divorce, so...

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Yoshi Jjang posted:

I'm in a house where I have to cook and all they have is a glass cutting board.

I know your pain, and when I see it at other houses and they complain that their knives are so dull. Wood is good.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Wrong thread.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Sic Semper Goon posted:

To be fair, it's also your personal and singlehanded fault that it's too hot / raining, your company won't shell out for a credit card reader, the kids won't shut up, there is a line at the checkout and they are on the fast track to the now-standard divorce, so...

Oh god you have no idea. It's a zoo gift shop, and for some reason people only like going when it's like 90 degrees out and sunny. You know what most animals don't like doing in that weather? Anything. So they find shelter and sleep until it's more reasonable out. That makes our zoo a complete ripoff with no animals and it's not fair and who better to voice that opinion to than some retail worker?

If they'd just suck it up and come on a balmy day, they'd see all of them out and super active, running around, playing with each other, etc etc. But then those people might have to like, I don't know, wear a light jacket or something. And that's just no fun at all!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I know you don't "get" things like normal people do, but can you not understand that there are people who make fun of people with odd names? Or that it would be annoying/frustrating to have people never spell your name properly?
I have an oddly-spelled name, People have spelled it wrong my entire life. It's not a big deal. Occasionally I have to correct someone because it's an official document or something, but mostly I just ignore it. I find it a bit weird that people don't check the spelling of any name they're writing down, but it's really not an issue. Would my life be easier if my name were spelled the normal way? Nope. Not even slightly.

And I don't buy the idea that kids with weird names get picked on or bullied more than anyone else. I've never seen any evidence of that happening, just a lot of people insisting that it must happen. :shug:

Sic Semper Goon posted:

:ironicat:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Even if you ignore those things (and just because you haven't personally experienced it doesn't mean it doesn't happen), the problem is people picking names solely because of how unique they are. Surely you wouldn't deny that "seven" is a stupid name. I have a nephew called that and every single person in the family besides his parents make fun of it (although it's more directed at his idiot parents than him). He's named after a Seinfeld joke, come on. At least biblical names mean something.

It's just indicative of parents (usually incorrectly) thinking their kid is going to be a unique special snowflake who is going to go to the best universities and get the best job and have the perfect life and they can't possibly tarnish their kid's future legacy by giving it a common name. It's not a bad thing to have the same name as a lot of people, but you wouldn't know this from new parents because if you say your kid is named "michael" or "daniel" or "joseph" etc they'll turn their nose up and act superior, like they care more about their kid because they put such deep thought into taking a normal name and sticking some y's in it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Surely you wouldn't deny that "seven" is a stupid name.
Welp thanks for making me realize that a whole lot of people are probably going to name their daughters Eleven because of Stranger Things.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Eleven is better than Madison

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

Mu Zeta posted:

Khaleesi

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

Mu Zeta posted:

M'ayddiy-soynn

EDIT:

Maddison
Maddisson
Maddisyn
Madisun
Madisyn

Sic Semper Goon has a new favorite as of 08:41 on May 29, 2017

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Latryne

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

Hytler.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Surely you wouldn't deny that "seven" is a stupid name.
I would. It's fine.

It's not a bad thing to have the same name as a lot of people, but you wouldn't know this from new parents because if you say your kid is named "michael" or "daniel" or "joseph" etc they'll turn their nose up and act superior, like they care more about their kid because they put such deep thought into taking a normal name and sticking some y's in it.
But you're doing the exact same thing in the opposite direction! :psyduck:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Tiggum posted:

I would. It's fine.

Ok, go ahead and name your kid T-bone or whatever, he definitely won't get made fun of for that because Tiggum says it doesn't happen.

And I am not doing the same thing. They find traditional names boring and plain, I find ultra-unique names obnoxious and eyeroll-inducing. It's complaining about names but for entirely different reasons (and to be clear, only one side's reasons is Correct).

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

She can hang out with that girl from Blossom and know that she is one better.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

It's not a bad thing to have the same name as a lot of people, but you wouldn't know this from new parents because if you say your kid is named "michael" or "daniel" or "joseph" etc they'll turn their nose up and act superior, like they care more about their kid because they put such deep thought into taking a normal name and sticking some y's in it.

In my observation at least, the people who give these warped names are boorish, crude and ignorant bogans, who want their kid to be the next Paris Hilton/whichever Kardashian is in favour with the media at the moment. In fact, if you look back at the approximate time of birth of the child (especially in my area), chances are quite high that it will be named after a pop star / soap opera character / football player who was popular at the time of birth. One I've noticed in particular are both warped and unwarped versions of "Jessica" from those born around '88-'92.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

If I had a kid and he came out a midget I'd name him Bilbo Baggins. That's my story.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

veni veni veni posted:

If I had a kid and he came out a midget I'd name him Bilbo Baggins. That's my story.

Bilybyo Byag-Gy-Gyins.

timefly
Apr 29, 2008

I have to spell my name, usually multiple times, to everyone I meet. It's an uncommon name, but the spelling is impossible to guess. Thanks Dad.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Y'all are arguing with tiggum, that's your first mistake. Dude's more dense than a neutron star.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure what automatic phone update did it but something erased my saved terms etc in my word bank and now it won't even remember swear words. Like it will correct them every time. Did I accidentally download some weird kids or Christian censor app without noticing? I post here on the awful app the majority of the time so it's pretty obnoxious to post something and then realize I have to edit it cause my phone made it look like a markov bot did it

Edit: whoops meant for this to go in the complaint thread. Still some person must be behind this

Aesop Poprock has a new favorite as of 10:30 on May 29, 2017

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Thread content: arguing with Tiggum. He's either a bad troll whose gimmick is being the densest motherfucker on the planet, or he is actually the densest motherfucker on the planet.

Why bother?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Thread content: arguing with Tiggum. He's either a bad troll whose gimmick is being the densest motherfucker on the planet, or he is actually the densest motherfucker on the planet.

Why bother?

He's 1/3 each both of those and 1/3 sincere from what I can tell

Except for the bad part. Bad trolls don't get responses but Tiggum still even triggers me from time to time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Why bother?

He always gets to me because he does that thing where he'll quote like 20 lines from posts over the past couple days and completely misrepresent or fail to get basic points. I hate seeing a last post by Tiggum and find him rehashing a post of mine that was argued to death 24 hours ago.

Other than responses triggered by being annoyed, he is also kind of fun to dump on when he says ridiculous poo poo like "I don't understand how anyone can enjoy a sunset". He's so consistent in not getting so many basic human experiences that I'm convinced it's genuine.

• Locked thread