Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I like that a lot. I'll try to play out some scenarios and see how well it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

That just boils down to "Have another spell slot" though, doesn't it? And a quickened one at that.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

That's nearly every good warlock invocation. Most of the class is about shortcutting your way around the fact that you still have 2 spell slots at level 10 and 4 at level 20.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

With the exception of Silent Image and the extremely situational (and late-level) Chains of Carceri, all of the at-will spells from Invocations are self-only utility spells. All of the control spells that come from Invocations eat up one of your Pact Magic slots. They're not free castings of Hypnotic Pattern or Hold Monster as a bonus action.

Warlock isn't magical artillery, they play more like a martial class with a basic attack they spam and then some really nasty tricks in their back pockets.

Edit: If you're trying to "fix" the spell slots issue, rolling out a must-have pact boon isn't the way to go about it. If you're DMing, just give warlock players more slots. Give them a full caster progression if you really want to. They're fine as they are IMO but do whatever's fun. I like the core concept behind your homebrew but it seems like you're using it to address a bigger issue you have with the class.

Reclaimer fucked around with this message at 05:42 on May 28, 2017

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009
I am thinking about giving the Warlock in the game I am DMing a Dagger of Blood Magic. Kills made with this dagger recover slots totaling up to the CR value of the enemy slain. Have the dagger power up its damage dice when the Pact Magic is running on empty. Give him some sort of reason not to be afraid of using his two slots, as long as he is willing to risk getting into the fray and trying to finish something off to replenish them... or executing a subdued enemy with it. Just a risk/reward mechanic he can choose to play around with if he gets tired of Eldritch Blasting everything.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Neon Knight posted:

I am thinking about giving the Warlock in the game I am DMing a Dagger of Blood Magic. Kills made with this dagger recover slots totaling up to the CR value of the enemy slain. Have the dagger power up its damage dice when the Pact Magic is running on empty. Give him some sort of reason not to be afraid of using his two slots, as long as he is willing to risk getting into the fray and trying to finish something off to replenish them... or executing a subdued enemy with it. Just a risk/reward mechanic he can choose to play around with if he gets tired of Eldritch Blasting everything.

In my current Warlock game, we have a "help as bonus action" and variation on flank rule that puts me into the fray fairly often with Shocking Grasp via Tome. Granted that's also because our DM strictly enforces cover granted by other characters and our Paladin insists on plugging up doorways (which, I get, but it's obnoxious as an Eldritch Blast user)

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Warlocks get more uses of their higher level spells than other classes at equivalent levels and they recover on a short rest.

People who have a problem with this misunderstand the class as a different flavor of full caster. They're not. Warlocks operate on completely different principles than Wizards/Clerics/Bards - they're more akin to Ranged Battle Masters, with Eldritch Blast as their weapon and Pact Magic as their maneuvers.

Invocations offer utility but realistically you'll be spending most of them in combat benefits if you wish to be effective, because warlocks are not tool boxes.They are not wizards.

Book of Ancient Secrets is amazing though.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Conspiratiorist posted:

Warlocks get more uses of their higher level spells than other classes at equivalent levels and they recover on a short rest.

People who have a problem with this misunderstand the class as a different flavor of full caster. They're not. Warlocks operate on completely different principles than Wizards/Clerics/Bards - they're more akin to Ranged Battle Masters, with Eldritch Blast as their weapon and Pact Magic as their maneuvers.

Invocations offer utility but realistically you'll be spending most of them in combat benefits if you wish to be effective, because warlocks are not tool boxes.They are not wizards.

Book of Ancient Secrets is amazing though.

No.

Warlocks get very, very, very, few spells per day. They are lucky if they get 4 per day by say 9th level. Extremely lucky.

This is largely in part because Short Rests take an hour, and stuff recharges on a Short Rest instead of after each Encounter. So, at least in my experience, you rarely get even 1 Short Rest in a day, let alone the actual expected number. At a high enough level you will have 3 or 4 Spell Slots per Short Rest, but you still have to ration them carefully.

Lets just ignore the 1/day cast of 1 specific spell per spell level of 6th and higher that you get after 10th level. Because for the most part those are fairly pathetic. And do not a spellcaster make.

If you get to level 20 you get a feature that ... sucks.

There are a few interesting, or maybe even good, Invocations. But pretty much to a one they could have all been available at will at no later than 5th level.

Despite being a caster the Warlock is largely a middling average archer. They can do some good damage with Hex up, but it doesn't really compare to a Fighter with a good magic bow. Or the same with a Ranger. Yes Ranger. By the way the Ranger gets more spells than the Warlock.

Now if Warlocks worked like in the Playtest, or better yet like in 3.5, then yes they would really stand out as something unique.

And I say this with a lot of experience playing a Warlock, and with a penchant for splashing Warlock here and there in a lot of builds.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
5e just needs to steal a page from SotDL and only stat out classes to like 5 or 6 levels, let multiclassing take care of the rest.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Yes, they get few spells per day but they get the same or more spells of the higher available slot for full casters. If you only got one short rest bam you have more higher level slots. They lose out on low level slots. That's what it means to be a Warlock - you cast your big spell and the rest of the fight is spent Eldritch Blasting with push back, or advantage if you used Darkness.

I'm also not mentioning the Mystic Arcanum because full casters only get one slot of each level above 5 as well anyway.

Bards and Sorcerers end their level progression at 18. Warlocks aren't special in this regard either.

And nothing compares damage-wise to a Fighter or smiting Paladin so that's a non-argument, but if the martials are getting magic items that boost their effectiveness and you don't thats a DM issue. Same as not getting any short rests at all, which fucks other short-rest resource classes as well.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Conspiratiorist posted:

Yes, they get few spells per day but they get the same or more spells of the higher available slot for full casters. If you only got one short rest bam you have more higher level slots. They lose out on low level slots. That's what it means to be a Warlock - you cast your big spell and the rest of the fight is spent Eldritch Blasting with push back, or advantage if you used Darkness.

I'm also not mentioning the Mystic Arcanum because full casters only get one slot of each level above 5 as well anyway.

Bards and Sorcerers end their level progression at 18. Warlocks aren't special in this regard either.

And nothing compares damage-wise to a Fighter or smiting Paladin so that's a non-argument, but if the martials are getting magic items that boost their effectiveness and you don't thats a DM issue. Same as not getting any short rests at all, which fucks other short-rest resource classes as well.

No, again.

They do not have the same number of spells as a full caster at high levels. They have a grand total of 0 spell slots above 5th level. They get 1/day spells, from a list that mostly sucks. This is not even remotely close to the same as the single spell slot of each spell level from 6 to 9. They don't get a choice of spells that they can use whichever is the best for that situation, they can't upsize a spell for greater effect into those spell slots, They can't spend those high level spells for other things, like they could with their actual spell slots.

It would have been better if they didn't get Mystic Arcanum at all, instead getting an actual useful and thematic class feature. Now I won't say that the level 9 spell Foresight is the only good option they get at those levels, but it nearly is.

Of course I dislike a large number of Invocations, every single one that gives you a spell that you can cast 1/day using a spell slot. They are completely un-Warlock like, and very rarely worth picking. If ever.

And of course I would have prefered something closer to the Playtest Warlock or the 3.5 Warlock. A class with absolutely 0 spellcasting. Instead having at will Invocations like the 3.5 Warlock, or maybe even the pick various boons like in the Playtest. where some were at will and some used a short rest recharging mechanic. Though of course I would still prefer the at will 3.5 attempt.

It may be hard to compare to a smiting Paladin, not impossible, but hard. But the Fighter? Lots of classes can compare. Though admittedly a Fighter getting a magic weapon with some extra dice can out damage the Warlock yes. The Warlock is not the best of designed classes.

That said yes lack of Short Rests hurt those classes that rely on it. Though no class relies on it as much as the Warlock. Its almost like using a Short Rest recharge mechanic, instead of a per encounter mechanic, was a poor design decision in a game with 1 hour long Short Rests.

Also Bards and Sorcerers end their level progression at level 18. Warlocks end their level progression at level 10.

Yes I can see that, the level 20 Bard feature is pretty terrible as well, same with Sorcerer. A lot of those features were actually decent in the last Playtest packet, but then were nerfed for no reason in the final release. Looking at you Battlemaster Fighter. That said Sorcerer level 14 of the Draconic Bloodline gets a feature that is better than anything the Warlock gets...ever. Still find it funny that a Monk archetype gets at will short range teleport, and a Sorcerer archetype, as well as a few archetypes in other classes, get at will flight, both things that were exclusive to Warlocks in 3.5 but the Warlock cannot get now in 5e.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Warlock is easily my favorite class in terms of flavor and RP hooks and all that but man I hope my current game lasts long enough that I can get into cool poo poo (and that I can bail out around 11)

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 11:33 on May 28, 2017

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

Eh, at 15th level I've effectively got 8 spells per day and 3 of those recharge off a short rest, not to mention the single most powerful cantrip in the game. I frequently get to the end of an adventure with enough slots left over to cast Dream and gently caress with my partymates during their long rest.

It gets better.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Warlock is easily my favorite class in terms of flavor and RP hooks and all that but man I hope my current game lasts long enough that I can get into cool poo poo (and that I can bail out around 11)

Eh, Warlocks get the same number of 6th-level-and-up spells as the other spellcasters, high level Warlock never seemed that bad to me. (Though admittedly I've never played one that high.)

I find the trick for having fun with the Warlock at low levels while you're still waiting for the best class features is to take the Invocation that gives you Disguise Self as an at-will power. That one has so much utility for something you can pick up so early that being able to cast other spells every now and then just feels like a bonus.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

I find the trick for having fun with the Warlock at low levels while you're still waiting for the best class features is to take the Invocation that gives you Disguise Self as an at-will power. That one has so much utility for something you can pick up so early that being able to cast other spells every now and then just feels like a bonus.

My yuan-ti warlock named Voldemort took that and the actor feat so he could pass as Tom the Human Man in public. Having good damage and control options as well as being the party face is pretty fun.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Eh, Warlocks get the same number of 6th-level-and-up spells as the other spellcasters, high level Warlock never seemed that bad to me. (Though admittedly I've never played one that high.)

Counter-point: my party has attacked our warlock literally every single time she disguises herself as someone important because it's hilarious

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Yeah that one's next on my list, and I'd love to abuse it with Friends. One of my big complaints about Warlock is too many basically mandatory things have to be picked up early -- more so if you're going Tome lock since you'll want Book of Ancient Secrets. You have to play a good while before you can really justify getting a lot of the "fun" stuff.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 18:55 on May 28, 2017

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Splashing Warlock is very valuable for various reasons for a few different classes but I gotta join the choir saying I don't see the utility in playing straight Warlock past a certain point.

Hell, I'm at 2 levels in Warlock and finding it hard to justify a third instead of just plowing ahead with Sorcerer. But I really want that familiar.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Either shorten short rests or let Warlocks recharge off of shorter short rests, frankly.

I don't like magic items or abilities that trigger on a 'When_Kill" condition because it results in the party fighting over 'last hits' and trying to game the system around it. It can be really swingy.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Reene posted:

Splashing Warlock is very valuable for various reasons for a few different classes but I gotta join the choir saying I don't see the utility in playing straight Warlock past a certain point.

Hell, I'm at 2 levels in Warlock and finding it hard to justify a third instead of just plowing ahead with Sorcerer. But I really want that familiar.

Play your cards right, and that familiar will give you advantage every turn as well as be an invisible flying security camera.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

I'm looking forward to always-on magic resistance too.

Lori
Oct 6, 2011

Krinkle posted:

Counter-point: my party has attacked our warlock literally every single time she disguises herself as someone important because it's hilarious

I dropped her to 1HP in a single action because I thought the bad guy had taken all of my friends prisoner. It was fantastic.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

So... kind of like a power?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Seems like you'd end up with a lot of powers. Every Cleric cantrip combined with Healing Word, etc.

Garl_Grimm
Apr 13, 2005
Between this and his recent thoughts on Initiative during his AMA I wonder if Mearls is testing the waters on a 5.5e or 6e.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I don't know if this is how thaumaturgy is supposed to work but we put a wildfire out by using two tieflings to make fire patches smaller and then a Druid to snuff out campfire-sized fires

It was hilarious either way but I'm not sure it was legal

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Spiteski posted:

ahahahahahahahahhahahahahhah ahhahahahhahahhahhhah. Goddamn mearls is the dumbest fucker holy poo poo.

Garl_Grimm
Apr 13, 2005

kingcom posted:

ahahahahahahahahhahahahahhah ahhahahahhahahhahhhah. Goddamn mearls is the dumbest fucker holy poo poo.

Which one of these chuckle-fucks "invented" Passive Perception for 5e?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Thumbtacks posted:

I don't know if this is how thaumaturgy is supposed to work but we put a wildfire out by using two tieflings to make fire patches smaller and then a Druid to snuff out campfire-sized fires

It was hilarious either way but I'm not sure it was legal

We pissed out a house fire. I mean that lobby is wrecked but nobody died, so.

I was begging our warlock to mage hand things that are on fire out the door or prestidigitate out some campfire sized flames but she was mad about getting shot every time she used her disguise self perk, I think. So I'd like to hear some rules lawyering on your issue so I know whether I can still hold this against her.

(what can two tieflings do to make fire patches smaller, also?)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Garl_Grimm posted:

Between this and his recent thoughts on Initiative during his AMA I wonder if Mearls is testing the waters on a 5.5e or 6e.

I mean it has been about 3 years since release, so if he really wants to be like 3e...

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

What in the hell is this - he's just gargling out words. An action that has another action as its triggering prerequisite is already how Bonus Actions are described in 5e to begin with.

(or at least, began that way, because now Bonus Actions are also just things you can do by themselves with just the "Bonus Action" action because the design is garbagetown)

P.S. of loving course it's Alexander goddamn Macris that Mearls is having a conversation with.

Garl_Grimm posted:

Which one of these chuckle-fucks "invented" Passive Perception for 5e?

That would be Monte Cook, and that was in 2011, so he was like "I've never read 4e, but it seems like this following blog post would be a good way to run Perception"

Which was still super out-of-touch because the reason 4e had the Passive Perception concept to begin with was that it was already being officially written about as early as 3e Dungeonscape.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

What in the hell is this - he's just gargling out words. An action that has another action as its triggering prerequisite is already how Bonus Actions are described in 5e to begin with.

(or at least, began that way, because now Bonus Actions are also just things you can do by themselves with just the "Bonus Action" action because the design is garbagetown)

P.S. of loving course it's Alexander goddamn Macris that Mearls is having a conversation with.

That would be Monte Cook, and that was in 2011, so he was like "I've never read 4e, but it seems like this following blog post would be a good way to run Perception"

Which was still super out-of-touch because the reason 4e had the Passive Perception concept to begin with was that it was already being officially written about as early as 3e Dungeonscape.

Yeah this is a pretty dumbshit design decision.

Like linguistically 'Bonus Action' is stupid, yes. But the most important resource economy in D&D is the action economy; abilities that let you do a thing but which don't consume your primary ability to deal damage or end combat are incredibly valuable.

So first you have a problem with minor activities on your turn (like consuming a potion or opening a door) either consuming an action or consuming movement or some other equally obtuse design; or you have them consume no resource whatsoever. So now you've got a ton of combat-adjacent little things that would have fallen into the minor-action folder now gone.

Then you have the simple issue that you've now tied all of your bonus-action activities with your primary-action activities. Before I could climb a rope and cast healing word, or attack and cast a minor-action teleport or any number of combinations of those things. Those were legos that could be fit together to build your own turn.

If you make everything a single action you no longer have lego blocks; poo poo is either all or nothing. I have a strong suspicion Mearls would just prefer to eliminate minor-action healing altogether, for instance.

How is such a bad designer in charge of the biggest name-recognized game? Do people actually like Mearls?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Spiteski posted:

It's like watching every silicon valley driverless car disruptivator independently reinvent buses and trains.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Ferrinus posted:

It's like watching every silicon valley driverless car disruptivator independently reinvent buses and trains.

Bitcoins belatedly realizing the utility of banking regulations

EDIT: There's this nice question coming from Twitter:

https://twitter.com/SlyFlourish/status/868912331723616256

it turns out the answer is buried in page 121 of the Dungeon Master's Guide:

quote:

A trap's description specifies the checks and DCs needed to detect it, disable it, or both. A character actively looking for a trap can attempt a Wisdom (Perception) check against the trap's DC. You can also compare the DC to detect the trap with each character's passive Wisdom (Perception) score to determine whether anyone in the party notices the trap in passing. If the adventurers detect a trap before triggering it, they might be able to disarm it, either permanently or long enough to move past it. You might call for an Intelligence (Investigation) check for a character to deduce what needs to be done, followed by a Dexterity check using thieves' tools to perform the necessary sabotage.

Any character can attempt an Intelligence (Arcana) check to detect or disarm a magic trap, in addition to any other checks noted in the trap's description. The DCs are the same regardless of the check used.

So far so good, right? Check out this next passage:

quote:

In addition, dispel magic has a chance of disabling most magic traps. A magic trap's description provides the DC for the ability check made when you use dispel magic.

Is there any other instance of a spell being necessary just to enable an ability check, that the spell doesn't actually do anything on its own?

... and then the game takes a hard-swerve into OSR-style "description over rolling":

quote:

In most cases, a trap's description is clear enough that you can adjudicate whether a character's actions locate or foil the trap. As with many situations, you shouldn't allow die rolling to override clever play and good planning. Use your common sense, drawing on the trap's description to determine what happens. No trap's design can anticipate every possible action that the characters might attempt.

You should allow a character to discover a trap without making an ability check if an action would clearly reveal the trap's presence. For example, if a character lifts a rug that conceals a pressure plate, the character has found the trigger and no check is required.

Foiling traps can be a little more complicated. Consider a trapped treasure chest. If the chest is opened without first pulling on the two handles set in its sides, a mechanism inside fires a hail of poison needles toward anyone in front of it. After inspecting the chest and making a few checks , the characters are still unsure if it 's trapped. Rather than simply open the chest, they prop a shield in front of it and push the chest open at a distance with an iron rod. In this case, the trap still triggers, but the hail of needles fires harmlessly into the shield.

I mean, I don't mind this mode of play where doing stuff is doing stuff, but it's disjointed with the presence of a skill check system that's supposed to determine how successful you are at a statement of intent without having to describe specifics.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 02:22 on May 29, 2017

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Does anyone still have that post where Cook "invented" Passive Perception? Because 5e designers accidentally praising their hated edition is never not funny.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Razorwired posted:

Does anyone still have that post where Cook "invented" Passive Perception? Because 5e designers accidentally praising their hated edition is never not funny.

https://web.archive.org/web/20111001032157/http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4ll/20110927

quote:

Sep 27, 2011

Very Perceptive

Legends and Lore
Monte Cook

Hello!

As my good friend Mike Mearls mentioned last week, there are some changes here with the column. The biggest being that I'm writing it. Who am I? Monte Cook. I was one of the co-designers of 3rd edition D&D. I have worked full time as a game designer since the late 80s, including a long stint with TSR and then Wizards of the Coast when the latter bought the former. I did a lot of work with 2nd edition D&D, helped transition to 3rd edition, and then ran my own d20 company, Malhavoc Press, to continue to explore the possibilities of that rules set on my own.

Now I'm back working alongside the other great designers at Wizards of the Coast. I can't tell you how good it feels to be back, working with the game I love. It's amazing.

And it gets even better. My job is primarily to explore options. It's the "research" part of "Research & Development." The goal I've been given is to make D&D the best game it can possibly be. It is and always has been the premier roleplaying game in the world, and I want to make sure it continues to be.

Of course, that's a very special challenge, if you think about it. A game like D&D has to move forward, but it also has to stay true to its roots. If you've got a game that's been adored for almost four decades, while you do what you can to bring in new players, you try to please those who have loved and supported the game for so long.

Like me. I started in 1978 or so with the three little booklets, usually called Original D&D or OD&D now. I moved from there to AD&D, and have played every other version and edition of the game at one time or another. I can't even begin to calculate the thousands of hours I have spent playing or preparing for the game, let alone talking about it, thinking about it, and of course working professionally with it.

I think, then, it comes as no surprise for me to say, I love Dungeons & Dragons.

Diving Right In

If you really roll up your sleeves and dig down to the basics of D&D-—the basics of almost any RPG, really-—what you find is either a unique way to create a narrative or a unique way to play a game. (We can debate storytelling vs. game playing some other day.) Either way you want to look at it, you have one person who has information and others who want information. The players (through their characters) are moving through the fictional world and need to know what it's like and what the consequences of their decisions and actions are. The DM is managing the fictional world. But how is that information conveyed? How does he know what to tell and what not to tell?

Simple, really. The DM is the eyes and ears of the players. If they can see it, hear it, smell it, taste it, or touch it, he should tell them about it. We all know, of course, that it's a bit trickier than that, because sometimes things are hidden.

It's the classic dungeon scenario. You can see it right there on the cover of the first edition Player's Handbook. The PCs have slain the monsters, and now they're searching for treasure. Some of the characters look around, while others busy themselves with the map or something. A couple of guys specifically check out the huge statue. Ideally, it doesn't all come down to just a roll of the dice. Ideally, the players actually interact with the room. They tell the DM that they search the statue, look in the massive brazier that it's holding, and check out the two smaller ones as well. Maybe one of those big teeth on the statue is a lever that opens a secret panel. Maybe one is hollow and holds a secret treasure.

That kind of discussion around the table is dynamic. It's interesting. It should be rewarded. It encourages the skill and imagination of players more than characters. And it would be horrible if a poor die roll wrecked it all.

Imagine, then, if the rules of the game allowed each character to have a ""rank" " that indicated how perceptive they were, and if all the hidden things had a rank as well. You could quickly and easily compare the ranks. If the character's rank was equal to or higher than the rank of the secret door or other hidden thing, he could find it if he took the time, because it was easy for him. No die roll needed. He can just do it because he's very perceptive. If the rank of the hidden thing was higher, though, he could still try to succeed at a die roll. It's challenging, but not impossible (the sweet spot, if you will). And if the difficulty rank was a lot higher, it would just be impossible, and again there's no need for the die roll. The DM just says "you don't find anything." Quick and easy. And best of all, if the player told the DM that his character was doing exactly the right thing-—checking the statue's teeth to see if one moved-—the DM could easily grant him a bonus to his rank and make what was impossible to find, possible. Player ingenuity rewarded.

That's the straightforward, active perception issue, but what about what I like to call "passive perception?" You know: when the PCs aren't actually looking for something, but it stands to reason that some one or more of them might just have a chance of noticing the hidden thing. Remember, for example, how in first 1st edition elves had a chance to notice secret doors just by walking by them? Or what about the rogue who always has a wary eye out for traps? You don't want these guys constantly making die rolls every 5 feet. The game will bog down quickly. Again, if we look to the rank idea, the DM can just make a note that the elf has an Expert rank, and thus he knows that if, in the course of exploration, she walks by any secret doors of Expert rank or lower, she spots them. Higher, and she doesn't (no die rolls at all-—because the die roll itself tells the metagaming player that there's something to find, and the DM having to make rolls for the player behind the screen is awkward). Likewise, the rogue can always be on the lookout for traps without routine walking around the dungeon becoming a chore. It's only when he's being really cautious that he can state that he searches the door or the chest or whatever. And then we handle things as described above, thus rewarding smart play.

This is all a way to handle the flow of information-—particularly secret information-—quickly and easily, with die rolls involved only when it really matters. So that we can keep the game moving at a lively pace without sacrificing the fun of exploring the environment with dynamic play and creative ideas. So that the rules don't get in the way of the fun.

I look forward to hearing what you have to say on the matter. This is only the tip of the iceberg. There are a lot more ideas to talk about. Some crazy, some hopefully not so crazy. It'll be up to you to tell me which is which.

This is actually even more incoherent than the actual implementation of Passive Perception in 3e Dungeonscape (which predates this blog post by four years) or in 4e because Cook is talking about "ranks" so vaguely as if he didn't know that there's a specific number of ranks you put into Perception.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I really don't mind passive perception except for the massive fuckup they've had in communicating what things are perceived vs. investigated, leading to infinite goddamn perception checks and people reasonably assuming "surely I'm not handwaving away ALL of this"

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Conspiratiorist posted:

And nothing compares damage-wise to a Fighter

:lol: lemme guess, Champion Fighter with Savage Attacker feat? :allears:

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

P.d0t posted:

:lol: lemme guess, Champion Fighter with Savage Attacker feat? :allears:

From core

(Varian Human) Battle Master with Archery Fighting Style, Crossbow Expert and Sharpshooter.

Or the classic GWF+PAM+GWM+Sentinel polearm user, but the above is more reliable.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 09:02 on May 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I really don't mind passive perception except for the massive fuckup they've had in communicating what things are perceived vs. investigated, leading to infinite goddamn perception checks and people reasonably assuming "surely I'm not handwaving away ALL of this"
The humour is that it's a back-patting article where Cooke explains his thought processes in coming up with this, as he calls it, "passive perception".

Which already existed in the previous edition of the game he was designing for. Where it was called, wait for it, "passive perception". It had its own big box on the default character sheet even. There is no possible interpretation of this sequence of events that does not make him look like a giant tool.

Now we have Mearles doing the exact same thing, but with the entire concept of class exclusive powers for Martials.